New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default If Halflings were Half-Lings - what would the Lings be?

Hi everyone!

Just a silly idea that came up during a game:

If Halflings were not simply Halflings but Half-Lings - offspring of Humans and Lings just like Half-Elves are descendants of Humans and Elves - what do you think the Ling race could be like? Assuming D&D 5e for the Half-Lings and Humans?
    Last edited by Wasp; 2019-07-30 at 01:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: If Halflings were Half-Lings - what would the Lings be?

Ling could be another word for gnome.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Brownie.

A human female drinks Brownie Punch and shrinks a few size categories. When the party's over she wakes with a hangover that turns into morning sickness.

I can't imagine a Brownie mom of a halfling because the newborn would outweigh the mom.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's the predecessor of human. They died out, leaving half-lings and humans.
    "My new favorite spell is Ice Knife, because it is a throwing knife made from ice, and a grenade."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lings sound like small Lynx people.
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

To develop my idea...

Dwarves are a true created race: The first of them were forged on Moradin's anvil. Generations later, the dwarves of clan Ling sought the mineral riches of the Feywild and settled there. The plane reacted strongly to their lawful semi-constructed nature, slowly but steadily remaking them in its image.

The new lings, or gnomes, proved more compatible with humans than their dwarven ancestors had been, both romantically and reproductively, leading to the birth of many half-lings. Around the same time, under the influence of hags, fomorians, and other ugly inhabitants of the Feywild, some lings were transformed into the first gob-lings.

Today, dwarves use all types of lings as a cautionary tale against mining the fairylands. They are nonetheless on good terms with gnomes and half-lings, and ever happy to trade with them for particular gems and metals.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

It's a mispronunciation, it's actually halflong or halflung... as in the Chinese word for dragon.

It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's a mispronunciation, it's actually halflong or halflung... as in the Chinese word for dragon.

I wrote a longer response but for some reason I got an error when I posted. Not going to recreate it all. But depending on the variety of chinese and the character it's written with you have lots of choices.

among other choices half lings can be
    half effective
    half clever
    half speaking with a soft voice
    half deities
    half dragons
    half nimble
    half car ruts
    half half
    half aged
    half an ancient ethnicity from southern china

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balyano View Post
    I wrote a longer response but for some reason I got an error when I posted. Not going to recreate it all. But depending on the variety of chinese and the character it's written with you have lots of choices.

half half
    Are you saying I can call them linglings?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Zerglings.

Imagine half a zerg mouth smoking a pipe or indulging in second breakfast and half a pair of hairy human feet.

Also superfast, regenerating, and hungry for blood.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2019-07-31 at 09:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Halflings in Warhammer and LotR are pretty "magic" resistant things.
    Halflings in D&D exhibit a friendly demeanor and strong willpower (charisma) without actually being magic resistant (like e.g. dwarves).

Half-lings would need a small or tiny parent race to actually be created. So a few pointers.

a) Gnomes maybe. Depending on the origin gnomes are actually earth spirits who resist magic and/or have fey origin and a cha bonus (Pathfinder).

b) Dwarves. Ever wondered why half-dwarves were never a mainstream thing? Maybe that is why. Maybe dwarves have sexual trimorphism and halfling women and men are three of their sexes.

c) As I like symmetry, and much of D&D is governed by the elements, so take gnomes as earth spirits. Elves are air spirits, dwarves are fire spirits (forges and such) which would lead to halflings being water spirits. Quite a stretch tho. (Actually tho gnomes AND dwarves are probably earth spirits.

So maybe halflings are the welcoming spirits while gnomes are the distant ones.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Greed in Fullmetal Alchemist is half-Ling.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

It's a mispronunciation that became popular as their true parentage was lost to time. They're actually half-Lengs

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Well people who like spiders sometime shorten spiderling to just 'ling.

More seriously since the intent of the OP seems to be reverse engineering Lings by removing the human traits from Halflings, I'd assume them to be very lazy, very gluttonous and prone to extreme nosiness, as those are the primary ways I can think of exaggerating halfling psychology further. Physically shorter than other races, probably about the height of kobolds but rather portly, lots of body hair, very agile and quite strong for their build. Sort of like a chubby ape-man perhaps, but with button up vests and smoking pipes.

I imagine going to a Ling village would be rather unpleasant, lots of fat hairy creatures smoking like chimneys and popping in and out of twee but soot stained little houses to peer at and pester people who pass by.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Lings could just be brownies. Would explain their size and propensity to stay home. Humans occasionally getting it on with a fey that lives and works in their home? Seems likely. Basically halflings are what you get when you impregnate the house cleaner or scullery maid.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

if two halflings stand on top of each other they create a ling.

But in all seriousness a halfling would probably be a cross between a human and a faerie of some type. brownie, pixie or others, or all? maybe a halfling is the term given to someone who's a mix breed of a faerie and a human
    Check me out on TikTok @OGDojo also check out my Youtube @ObscureGamingDojo
    All Martial Arts Begin with Imitation.
    Factotums are the weakest yet most powerful class, if built properly