New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Help with Some NPC's

Hey everybody!
    So I have some main ideas set up for my campaign, and I was thinking about a few main characters that I need to flesh out. I love hearing other people's ideas and opinions, so if you have any thoughts about the characters below, please let me know:

Leucis Creed - Tiefling Warlock/Sorcerer. Recurring bad guy, pokes fun and messes with the party, to include the first session where he will be disguised as an old man asking for help to retrieve his wares from the kobolds that stole from him (actually attempting to acquire a magical staff for his master from a Silver Dragon, whom Leucis has fought before and survived).

Silver Dragon (need a name) - need some thoughts on this guy, but if the party plays their cards right he could be a potential ally.

1 of each type of other Dragon, to exclude Black who is dead (a cult will be trying to resurrect him)

Vampire Lord, Empire in the far West which the characters may or may not encounter

Several others, but thoughts on these thus far?
    I appreciate you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Help with Some NPC's

First off, I really like the idea of tricking the party like that with the warlock's disguise. I've never seen my players get angrier with NPCs than after they've been tricked, especially if they got tricked out of a tangible reward like gold or a magic item. I think they'll happily chase after your villain.

Do you have an idea for an initial longer quest hook? If not, I think you could make easily try to have the Silver Dragon demand the party track down Creed and return the magic staff after they've been bamboozled (and perhaps promise a sizeable reward from a treasure trove they notice in the silver dragon's lair). Then you can have them run around the countryside tracking him down and resolving whatever mayhem he might cause with the staff or his own powers.

As for a name, I like to name dragons fancy or archaic words that embody their personalities. Perhaps your silver dragon is different, but the Monster Manual suggests they love taking human form and dwelling among the smaller races, so how about "Gregarious"? If you want the dragon to meet the party in disguise, you could give it an alias of "Greg" while he's masquerading as a non-dragon. Or perhaps your dragon is female, and likes visiting with elves. If that's the case, I'd go with something like "Alvina", which is supposedly an older English name meaning "elf friend".

Are the dragons special somehow since you're planning to have one of each color?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thanks! Leucis is a special breed of sorts. I've thought about his background a lot.
    Essentially his mother was a whore and his father, a Demon Prince, happened to pass through and made magic happen. Well anyway, his father moved on obviously and mother kept getting into abusive relationships. Caused Luke (his name before his transformation into a Tiefling and a Warlock) to go crazy and violently murder all of the men that had abused her, accepting his father as his Patron for power and then watched as his actions caused his mother to burn to death. Yeah. Messed up.
    Any way, aw for the Silver Dragon, those are some good ideas. Any reason why Silver may not dust them right away? What kind of reward might he give other than "I don't kill you!" Lol

As for the each color deal, not really. Just that there are only a few surviving Dragons from the War of Dragons, but the only race to supposedly be killed off was the Black. Not sure exactly what I'll do there yet.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Silver dragons in common D&D lore are the "friendly" dragons that actually go out of their way to spend time with humans and other mortal creatures. You're free to make yours different, but in a game sticking closer to the personality from the Monster Manual, the dragon would likely just give them a quest because it finds them interesting and wants to see them grow as adventurers. Not all dragons have to be murderous or aloof.

As for a reward, I suggest a big pile of gold or some good magic items. Your party might just blow off the dragon's request and ignore your villain otherwise.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Was the War of the Dragons a war between Chromatic and Metallic dragons, or the Giant/Dragon war? I could see some of the repercussions of the outcome of that war coming into play in a fun way. Perhaps one of the dragons lost their name in the war (due to some kind of magic)? Perhaps an extremely prideful Red Dragon who's name was magically abolished so nobody could speak of them again. That would make it difficult to locate them (even if an informant did know something, they couldn't speak of them), and this dragon would be really ticked off with their curse.

Perhaps there are still pockets of war still going on, similar to after WWII there were still conflicts in places (most notably Vietnam, which is considered it's own war despite being a symptom of the Cold War, which in turn was part of the Fallout of WWII).

Who won the war? Did it end in stalemate? How long did it rage?

Storyline and Worldbuilding are essentially the same process. Worldbuilding without storyline results in a bland, shallow world, Storyline without Worldbuilding leads to a feeling of impermanence, where peoples actions and choices have no real, lasting consequences. Once you have the history of this area nailed down, the characters and events will begin to flow naturally.
    "I may be a Hobgoblin, but the real mythical creature I'm playing is an Ethical Billionaire"