New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default What type of ability is immunity?

Energy resistance is described as "usually extraordinary", which I assume means it's extraordinary unless is says otherwise, but immunities don't seem to say anywhere what type of ability they are. Does anyone know?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What type of ability is immunity?

Natural. If it not listed as SU, EX, or SP it is natural.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Natural. If it not listed as SU, EX, or SP it is natural.
    Yeah, this here. I believe it's a rule mentioned in the MM.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Do you know exactly where it says that? Immunities are listed under special qualities, and under "special attacks and special qualities" on p.6 of the MM it says "a special ability is either extraordinary, spell-like or supernatural", it doesn't mention natural abilities.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    Do you know exactly where it says that? Immunities are listed under special qualities, and under "special attacks and special qualities" on p.6 of the MM it says "a special ability is either extraordinary, spell-like or supernatural", it doesn't mention natural abilities.
    Found it. PHB page 180. It's the fine print right at the end of the chapter.
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKaws View Post
    Thank you. Weird that it's included as a category in the PHB but not the MM.

I'm not entirely convinced that immunity is meant to be a natural ability, as resistance is extraordinary, and it doesn't really seem in the same category as the given example of "a bird's ability to fly". But as it's not listed as any of the other types, it seems that by RAW you're right.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

It's rather arguable that immunities derived from type are natural abilities, as they are based on your very nature, rather than some special ability you have. For example, undead immunity to mind affecting, or a (Fire) creature's fire immunity.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yeah, this here. I believe it's a rule mentioned in the MM.
    Thank you. Weird that it's included as a category in the PHB but not the MM.

I'm not entirely convinced that immunity is meant to be a natural ability, as resistance is extraordinary, and it doesn't really seem in the same category as the given example of "a bird's ability to fly". But as it's not listed as any of the other types, it seems that by RAW you're right.
    Well, strictly speaking, the MM entry on pg 6 pretty clearly states that in its monster entries, the MM is only going to include Ex, Sp, and Su abilities under the heading of "Special Attacks and Special Qualities," which would lead us to the conclusion that, at least for entries in the MM, nothing found under that heading is considered a Natural ability. This isn't necessarily in conflict with the text from PHB, so it falls under Specific Trumps General, rather than Primary Source Rule (unless a duplicate entry for a same-named ability elsewhere specifically lists it differently, in which case there would be a conflict of rules, leading to Primary Source overruling)
    "I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want." -Rich Burlew, author of OoTS, and founder/owner of this very website you're reading this text on.

Grod's Law of game design: "You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crichton View Post
    Well, strictly speaking, the MM entry on pg 6 pretty clearly states that in its monster entries, the MM is only going to include Ex, Sp, and Su abilities under the heading of "Special Attacks and Special Qualities," which would lead us to the conclusion that, at least for entries in the MM, nothing found under that heading is considered a Natural ability.
    I just looked up Roc in the MM and it doesn't list flight under special qualities, but the Ravid does, and in its entry it's listed as supernatural, which suggests you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    It's rather arguable that immunities derived from type are natural abilities, as they are based on your very nature, rather than some special ability you have. For example, undead immunity to mind affecting, or a (Fire) creature's fire immunity.
    I can see that logic, and I'd certainly agree that mindless creatures being immune to mind-affecting makes sense as a natural ability. However, not all creatures with immunity have the relevant type; for example, a Pit Fiend has fire immunity but not the fire type.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

for example, a Pit Fiend has fire immunity but not the fire type.
    In that specific case you're wrong by RAW. Fire immunity is a racial trait of all Devils and pretty clearly untyped on purpose, considering some of those traits do have a type listed. More interestingly, those same Devils also have Telepathy as an untyped trait, which could have some fun implications in an Antimagic Field.
    Last edited by MisterKaws; 2019-08-21 at 08:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

It's fair to note that it mostly matters in cases like with the Frost Mage's Piercing Cold metamagic, which can penetrate most cold immunities, except from those with the cold subtype. So a piercing cold spell would affect a skeleton, but not a white dragon.

If I understand the text correctly, at least.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

In that specific case you're wrong by RAW. Fire immunity is a racial trait of all Devils and pretty clearly untyped on purpose, considering some of those traits do have a type listed.
    Agreed, a better example would have been the balor, who is immune to fire, but through no type-based sources.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.