New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] RC's Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time IC

Then we're going to open the door? Zippo asks impatiently. He's not good at waiting and discussing plans

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

"Go ahead, Zippo!" Nippi enthusiastically bounces on the balls of his feet. By habit he puts out his left arm to pet Koli, pouting briefly when he remembers she's not there.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-09-19 at 01:55 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Me? It's Weaver who wants to open the door! Come on, Weaver, we're right behind you Zippo encourages his brother.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver began to lean close to the door to listen when right behind him Zippo loudly proclaimed he should open the door. Weaver jumped a little, face flushed. He put his finger to his lips and whispered harshly, ”Shhhh! I’m trying to listen for any surprises!”

He turned back to the door, wondering if his heart pounding could be heard back in the village.

[i]Just clarifying actions - waiting on the results of previous perception checks.
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 17; AC: 18 FF/Touch: 14/15
    F +4 R +8 W +4 Init: +4 Move: 30’
    Dagger (+3, 1d4 / Thrown +6, 1d4); Shortbow (+6, 1d4)
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +5/+5/+7 Move Silently/Hide +4/+10 Balance/Tumble +10/8 Bluff/G Info +9 D Device/Open locks +8/+4 UMD +8 KS Local/Planes +9/+5 KS Rel/Nat/Arc/Dun/His +4
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 3/3
    Effects: Evasion, KS devotion
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

So yes, that's totally a Deku Baba hiding in the grass! It's pretty good at hiding, having shrivelled itself down to mimic a deku nut, but Xenia's eyes were too sharp! Now that you've noticed it it's not much of a threat and the party can kill it from range pretty much at your leisure, so let's assume you do that at some stage and waste no further time on it. It's not like Deku Babas carry any cool gear.

The party gathers around the door wedged into the crevasse. It's not a very good door - more like a sheet of bark tied in place with some rudimentary hemp hinges - and has plenty of gaps in it. By listening and peeking through the gaps, Weaver and Navi can make out the room beyond which appears to make up the interior of one of the Great Deku Tree's mighty limbs. Several fissures in the wood let in some of the morning sunlight, revealing four leafy creatures gently rustling and conversing in hushed squeaks. They don't appear to have noticed the party yet.

"Deku scrubs!" Navi exclaims softly, recognising the creatures immediately. "What are they doing in here?!"

The door doesn't appear to be locked or even securely closed. It should open at a push.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Last edited by RCgothic; 2019-09-26 at 04:59 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Mab bounces excitedly in the air at Navi’s exclamation. ”Deku scrubs!” she squeaks. ”Growing inside the Greak Deku Tree! Hey, listen, they might be harmless. Maybe we should talk to them first?”

”Maybe,” Xenia says, ”but just in case, I’d rather not take chances.” She whispers a few words, and her free hand starts to glow and crackle with electricity. Then she looks around, and sees the others staring at her. She coughs and straightens up. ”Um. With the deku scrubs. Maybe we can try talking to them first, though.” She shoots a quick glare at Mab for distracting her, hoping that the others don’t catch it. Then, cheeks still flushed with embarrassment, she raises her shield and turns her attention to the door. ”Better go through,” she says.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Pre-cast produce electricty (energy subbed produce flame). Xenia will first try talking to the deku scrubs, but if they attack, she’ll fling electricity at them.

Knowledge (nature) to see what she knows about deku scrubs: (1d20+5)[25]

Diplomacy check (I know we haven’t started talking now, but rolling now in case it’s needed later): (1d20+4)[23]

Note that diplomacy is just a Charisma check for Xenia, as she isn’t trained. However, if wild empathy applies, it’ll be that same roll +3. I assume deku scrubs are plant creatures, which typically aren’t affected by wild empathy, but just in case they are considered animals in this world…
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver shifted his weight from foot to foot as he peered through the cracks and back at his companions. He had heard things about Deku Shrubs, but didn’t know what was true and what was rumor. Of course, if Xenia knew about them, he didn’t want to look stupid, so ...

Leaning back, he nodded. ”Yeah, sometimes these Shrubs are guards and stuff, right? Maybe the Tree wants them here. I, uh, guess talking to them is good. I’ll just call out to them I suppose...”

He turned back to listen at the door for a moment before he made to open it and great the shrubs.
    Spoiler: If he opens ...
    Show
    Weaver peeked around the door jam, suing it and the door to black most of his body. ”Um, knock-knock and hello? Just some folks stopping by ... wanted to ask you some questions, yeah? We’re, uh, here on a mission - big mission - so if you could, uh, help, that would be great.

What are you guys doing in here? And what’s going on in the Tree?”

Weaver paused as his eyes darted from Deku Shrub to Feku Shrub.

(OOC - Diplomacy - (1d20+5)[14])

So skill checks to hear and remember anything about Shrubs (guessing Nature check?). Weaver will open the door and call out from the doorway (using it as cover) to the Shrubs, presuming a) he doesn’t hear or remember something that says this is a bad idea or b) the others don’t stop him. Actions in spoilers just in case.
    Listen - (1d20+5)[10], Nature - (1d20+5)[24]

Show
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +5/+5/+7 Move Silently/Hide +4/+10 Balance/Tumble +10/8 Bluff/G Info +9 D Device/Open locks +8/+4 UMD +8 KS Local/Planes +9/+5 KS Rel/Nat/Arc/Dun/His +4
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 3/3

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Zippo moves a bit to have a better view to the nearest deku shrub. Yet he waits, with sword drawn but he waits, what the shrubs will do.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    if possible, Zippo wants to have a clear line to the first shrub for charging it. If one of his siblings wants to get in his way, he blocks the way *gently*.

If the shrubs are doing anything aggressive or offending, he charges. (You know, charge first, ask later)

If needed, sense motive(1) and spot (2) (both untrained and +0) (2d20)[1][19](20)

EDIT: a 1 on sense motiv? Should I roll ATK right now or wait? I'm really the cliche cop which shoots the peasent for taking out his wallet...
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2019-09-28 at 12:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground

At the mention of talking, Vikka visibly pales. Her face becomes wooden and she rigidly moves away from the front of the group not wishing to open her mouth.
    Blarg...

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    ”Yeah, sometimes these Shrubs are guards and stuff, right? Maybe the Tree wants them here. I, uh, guess talking to them is good.”
    Glancing over Weaver's shoulder at Navi's shocked expression, Nippi says quietly, "I don't think so, Weaver." He waves a "c'mon" gesture to Zippo and pushes right through the door, readying himself for a fight.

Spoiler: initiative?
    Show
    Not sure how 'combat time' will start in this case, not least because I'm unsure if they know we're here. If I get a surprise round, I'm just going to spend my one action moving in and clearing a charge path for Zippo. EDIT: More specifically, J11 looks good.

Initiative roll, if desired: (d20+3)[21]
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-10-06 at 02:47 PM.

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

As Zippo stands there and waits for something to happen, Nippi gives him a sign, opens the door and goes to the side. It cannot be clearer.

Zippo storms forward

Show
    Weaver stands in the door, right? So charging isn't possible, but walking by is fine, ok? Move action walking to I9
    Standard action attack the shrub (H8) with longsword (1d20+8)[25] for (1d6+5)[9]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver paused as Nippi pushed past him to open the door for Zippo. Nonplussed, Weaver blinked momentarily, stammering, “Oh, uh, sure, um I guess ... go ahead ...?”

Weaver will step out of the way, now uncertain ...
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

DM

The party holds a brief discussion on whether or not to talk to the Deku Scrubs, but Zippo and Nippi are of one mind! Nippi pushes the door open and moves to one side whilst Zippo moves straight towards the nearest scrub!

Spoiler: Nippi, Weaver
    Show
    "Eek! Intruders!"

It squeaks, before Zippo runs it through its leafy torso. It squeaks plaintively as it looks down at the hole left by Zippo's sword. Although not (quite) dispatched, it doesn't look in any condition or inclination to resist you further.

Not so the other three deku scrubs, who recover from their momentary shock and now their leaves are practically shaking with rage!

Show
    "Defri!"
    "You'll pay for that!"
    "How dare you!"

They squeak angrily.

So ends the surprise round. Nippi and Weaver to go.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, we're intruders? You've got it backward, mucilage-mind," Nippi responds acidly in Kokiri. But his taunt covers up a worry about something he hadn't considered: how did all these beasts get inside the Great Deku Tree, anyway? He pushes down the thought and throws out one of his little fireballs. Battle isn't the right time for worries.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Fiery Burst to hit the scrub in I5. (2d6)[5] fire, Reflex DC 14. Not taking a move action this round.

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver paused nervously as Zippo ran in and Nippi attacked. “Uh, yeah ... you’re the intruders! Time to pay the price ... for intruding!” Weaver pulled free his shortbow and fired at one of the unengaged creatures, hoping to catch it off guard.

Nature - (1d20+5)[18] knowledge check. Draw bow and fire. Attack - (1d20+6)[20]+2, Damage - (1d4)[2]+2, sneak attack, if flat-footed SA - (2d6)[5]
    Show
    Last edited by Starbin; 2019-10-13 at 03:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

DM

The Deku Scrubs give no indication they understood anything Nippi said in Kokiri, but they understand the tone and fireburst well enough! The Scrub in I5 is badly singed! They squeak angrily! Until Weaver draws his bow and shoots the scrub in J7! It's a not-quite fatal headwound! The scrubs can see which way this is heading. The two seriously injured scrubs retreat into their Deku Flowers, and the other two cower before the advancing party. The one singed by Nippi's fireburst squeaks plaintively.

Show

"Ow-ow-ow! Please don't hurt us, masters! We don't want to die!"
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2019-10-13 at 08:54 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The Scrub in front if Zippo turns into a flower? He moves around it a few steps, seeking a nice spot to hit at, takes his flail instead of his sword and hits it with all his strength.

Show
    Move action: walking to H7
    As part of the MA: sheath sword and draw flail
    Standard action: strike with PA-3 holding the flail in both hands
    To hit: (1d20+5)[12]
    To hurt: (1d6+11)[14]

Edit: damage is +13 instead because of holding in two hands (str+4*1,5+1+2*3)

Last edited by Fliggl; 2019-10-13 at 10:05 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver blinked for a moment, then he called out, ”You, uh, should be afraid! Throw down your, uh, nuts!!”[/i] Weaver held his next shot to wait for the deku to comply. As an afterthought, Weaver repeated the info in common.

Holding back
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Nippi pauses mid-firepoof and calls out, "Hold up, Zippo! They're not going to fight back -- it'd be mean to keep hitting them. Good job, Weaver, you've got a hero's steady hand, just like you always say. Um, Navi? I could use some advice ..." Then he replies to the Scrub in its own language,

Spoiler: Deku Scrubbish
    Show
    "Well, I told my friend to stop for now, but you're all still in trouble, so you better answer my questions. Why were you even here? It's like being inside somebody's body!"

I guess that's probably an Intimidate check, (d20+2)[17], but if Diplomacy works then add +3.

Current games list

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver nodded, obviously pleased with Nippi’s comments. He stepped forward and tried to help y’all to the scrubs. ”Yeah, why are you here? This is ... an ... invasion! Yeah, an invasion. You’d better soil the nuts right now!”

Diplomacy check of his own (1d20+5)[6]
    EDIT - ha! Figures...

Show
    Last edited by Starbin; 2019-10-16 at 11:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Firbolg in the Playground

Vikka didn't even have time to groan as Zippo, yet again rushed head first through the door, weapon swinging. Though this time it turned out to be a good choice. The kokiri casually strode through once everyone was finished with what they were doing then face palmed when Weaver tried speaking. Honestly, she wasn't completely sure that she could a worse job.
    Blarg...

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

DM

The deku scrubs squeak in alarm as Zippo assaults their hidden companion, but don't quite resume hostile actions after the barbarian's sword glances harmlessly off the deku flower's densely packed leaves.

Navi prods Weaver surreptitiously on the shoulder. "Uh, I don't think they can drop their nuts, Weaver. Deku Scrubs have a gland that produces them on demand."

The remaining scrubs prostrate themselves before you.

Show
    <Pleeease masters, we meant no harm! We just thought this tree would make a good home - it offers shelter, protection, and sap to eat! We saw the cracks in this branch and came exploring.>

"I don't think they'll say anything you don't ask for," Navi opines. "Can we improve the mood a little?"
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2019-10-31 at 05:42 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver just whispered to Navi, [i]”Yeah, Yeah ... I know ... I meant it like a give up. Course I know they can’t actually drop them.” To the Scrubs, he scratched his arm nervously and asked, ”If you mean no harm, why were you plotting? And uh, what have you seen around here, besides us? You can tell us cuz we’re, well ... we’re like the Tree Guardians. Yeah, that’s what we are!”

Dare U risk another roll? Diplomacy Check - 24 (from OOC)
    Show
    Last edited by Starbin; 2019-11-03 at 12:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Nippi looks like he might have something to add, but holds off to let Weaver do his silver-tongued work. As before, he reaches over to put a hand on a doggie who isn't there.

Current games list

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

The two deku scrubs share nervous glances with each other before apparently deciding something with a nod, apparently persuaded by Weaver's words. They begin to squeak animatedly at the group:
    Spoiler: In Deku Scrub
    Show

<Please forgive us masters!>
    <We really did only come here for food and shelter!>
    <But the others we came with...>
    <We haven't seen them since they went below!>
    <There are spiders everywhere!>

The shrubs tail off briefly, distracted by Zippo's flailing at the deku flower in front of him, shredded petals flying in every direction! What's left of the flower quivers, its occupant clearly in utter terror!

Spoiler: In Deku Shrub
    Show

<Please masters, is Demwi not injured enough?>
    <Leave her alone, we beg you!>
    <If you let us live we'll leave at once!>
    <We didn't know this tree had such fearsome guardians!>

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver nodded at the Scrubs, but before he could speak, the plants started freaking out over Zippo’s actions. ”Hey, uh guys let’s take it easy on these guys, okay? They said they’d leave, cuz they’re scared of me ... and you guys. Um, they also said their friends went below but haven’t come back ... probably because of those giant, Kokiri-eating spiders! ”

Searching his neck, he said to the Scrubs, ”So ... you guys should go. Zippo might eat you guys if you don’t. So, uh, good luck and we’ll see you around. Oh, got any goodies up here?”

So where to next? Sounds like we eventually need to head down, but I’m not sure what’s up ahead. Oh, and we need to search this place, right?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Zippo, not understanding what the scrub is talking, has enough of waiting. He lifts his Flail, adjusts his grip ...

... and stops. Weaver explains him, what the Scrub says.

Shrugging, he turns around and walks backwards 10ft

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Nodding in relief at how things are progressing, Nippi adds in the plant creatures' language,

Spoiler: Deku Scrub
    Show
    "We'll walk with you until you're outside. The Tree wants to make sure you're away."

He also murmurs to the quiet and reliable Xenia, "I still want to know how they got in here -- through a crack? Through some planar weirdness? Or just the way we did? If we escort them, we can find out."

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

As Zippo retreats the Deku scrubs look at each other and then squeak in their own language to their hiding companions. After a few moments the injured scrubs cautiously emerge from their flowers to encouragement from their fellows.

The two less injured scrubs move to help their fellows, who look like they're barely managing to stay upright. One of them still has an arrow protruding from its head, which it fondles plaintively.

One of the uninjured scrubs speaks as the other three prepare to leave.

Spoiler: Deku Scrub
    Show

<Ah! That won't be necessary masters! We can leave from here the way we got in! Right away! In fact... Bye!>

The four deku scrubs hop up to one of the large crevices in the bough of The Great Deku Tree, each pulling out a large leaf. Holding on tightly to each end, they exit in succession, each letting out a loud squeak as they jump through the gap in the branch, parachuting using their leaves to the forest floor far below.

A search of the vacated room turns up a total of 120 Rupees and a potion of Cure Light Wounds the scrubs had left behind in their deku flowers.

"So their companions went below?" Navi ponders aloud after they're gone. "We haven't yet found a way down that isn't choked with spiderwebs! We can still go up though! Back in the main area there's a choice of vines that go over an overhang, or vines that are covered in spiderwebs," she informs helpfully.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2019-12-21 at 10:25 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Absolutely ignoring what Navi has to say, Zippos eyes become bigger and bigger. Falling slowly with a leave! All the times I went down the stairs... I wish I had seen this before...

Show
    I'm here, ready to go. Zippo's not the leader, you remember? But he will follow, no matter what