New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Rendering mountains

I've been working on a map for my campaign, and I began using a pen to ink in the geographical forms. I typically avoid pen and go for pencil, but I thought the visual clarity and permanence would be good in this instance. However, I am running into something of an issue when attempting to draw the mountains. Currently, I have them drawn in pencil in my usual manner: soft, irregular curving lines that vaguely imitates the shading done by more professional maps without my needing to do the same sort of detailed analysis of every slope and ridge that informs those practices. Since ink doesn't allow for quite the same controlled variation in softness and lightness that graphite does, I do not believe I will be able to replicate this using pens. Simple outlines of the mountains look too much like the same outlines I've done for lakes, and I don't want to do the Tolkienesque iconic representation of drawing a number of wedges in a chain.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to render mountains with pen? What sort of techniques do you use?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Kobold

Default Re: Rendering mountains

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    I've been working on a map for my campaign, and I began using a pen to ink in the geographical forms. I typically avoid pen and go for pencil, but I thought the visual clarity and permanence would be good in this instance. However, I am running into something of an issue when attempting to draw the mountains. Currently, I have them drawn in pencil in my usual manner: soft, irregular curving lines that vaguely imitates the shading done by more professional maps without my needing to do the same sort of detailed analysis of every slope and ridge that informs those practices. Since ink doesn't allow for quite the same controlled variation in softness and lightness that graphite does, I do not believe I will be able to replicate this using pens. Simple outlines of the mountains look too much like the same outlines I've done for lakes, and I don't want to do the Tolkienesque iconic representation of drawing a number of wedges in a chain.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to render mountains with pen? What sort of techniques do you use?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GG, Gg!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thank you very much. That's an excellent demonstration.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Use different pens. You art store has hundred of different one; shape, width, color, etc.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

... And saved.
    Thank you Gallowglass

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is kinda amazing. I've drawn mountains before for D&D maps... and I feel like I've spent too long trying to make them look like mountains... but this seems... much easier.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess it really depends on the level of detail that you are willing to put into your maps. If your willing to put in the time, you could end up with something like this:

"Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Kobold

"OP post specifically says doesn't want to draw wedges in a chain like a Tolkien map"

"Poster replies with picture of wedges in a chain on an actual Tolkien Map."

Ah, forum.... don't ever change.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglass View Post
    "OP post specifically says doesn't want to draw wedges in a chain like a Tolkien map"

"Poster replies with picture of wedges in a chain on an actual Tolkien Map."

Ah, forum.... don't ever change.
    Poster makes a comment about the level of detail the OP may or may not wish to dedicate to map making and provides example of detailed map (witch happens to be a Tolkien map as they are the most common found on the internet).

Man on high horse makes judgmental comment.

Ah, forum...blah blah blah.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglass View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    I guess it really depends on the level of detail that you are willing to put into your maps. If your willing to put in the time, you could end up with something like this:

I've gotts say, Gallowglass' example actually looks more detailed despite also looking much easier to draw
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I've gotts say, Gallowglass' example actually looks more detailed despite also looking much easier to draw
    Drawing the style 2 or 3 mountains is just as much work as doing the style 1, even with out shading, once you factor in drawing in all of the satellite ridges.

No matter what style you use, it all eventually boils down to how much time and to what level of detail you want to invest in your maps.

- L. Long

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Drawing the style 2 or 3 mountains is just as much work as doing the style 1, even with out shading, once you factor in drawing in all of the satellite ridges.

No matter what style you use, it all eventually boils down to how much time and to what level of detail you want to invest in your maps.
    It also depends on what you want the map to do. A big black line labeled "Mountains of Epic Death!" along the path you want them to move is just as good as any other method, because it conveys that there are mountains of epic death there. If you happen to want a highly detailed contour map so that you can use to travel from A to B in the real world, the big black line isn't so helpful.

Any way, I guess what I'm try to say is maps are based on intended use. The London Tube map is neither to scale, or accurate represents distances between stations accurately. However, it is a really good map for telling commuters what stations are on what lines, and in what order they are on the line. Anything more than flow chart design is more an art piece rather than useful map. Not that the art piece doesn't have value, but you have to ask yourself how are you using this, which help tell you what you want to do.

All that being said, the mountain option outlined by GG is a good one for a nice top down kind of view.
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2019-09-10 at 04:34 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Steal from the best:

Spoiler: Middle-Earth
    Show