New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Mandalorian: First Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Droid Tony View Post
    Spoiler: Epsiode 7
    Show

The teradactyal attack was nice....but why were they laser proof? And if Carl Weathers lived on Dino Planet, would he not KNOW about the giant poisonous man eating Teradactyls?
    Spoiler
    Show
    They weren't, Cara very clearly blasts one and injures another. They were just tough and everyone apparently sucked at shooting moving airborne targets with pistols in the dark (in fairness, a fairly significant challenge). As for their unexpected nature, the reason is probably the presence of the Blurgs, which the airborne hunters preferentially targeted. There's lots of dangerous biota that will virtually ignore non-prey items even at extremely close range but will be very aggressive with their targeted prey. Karga and his hunters just aren't used to traveling about with large herd animals so they didn't expect this sort of attack.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Show

Well, finnaly back to the main story....
    Spoiler
    Show
    The whole thing is the main story. I have a very strong suspicion that those we met in the "side quests" will turn up later. Mando made powerful allies and powerful enemies, and I have no reason to think they're just one-offs.

Show
    The teradactyal attack was nice....but why were they laser proof? And if Carl Weathers lived on Dino Planet, would he not KNOW about the giant poisonous man eating Teradactyls?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know about copperheads, water moccasins, and gators, but if I need to go through the Everglades then knowing about them and avoiding them are two separate things. I can be cautious, but I can't control wild animals. Greef can't either.

Spoiler: Baby Yoda could be.......
    Show
    A CLONE of Yoda.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, that's a popular theory, especially since the Imperial scientist has a Kamino patch on his shoulder.

...Yoda cloning himself is a new one, though. And, I think, a remarkably unlikely one.

Spoiler: Baby Yoda could be.......
    Show
    OR, my big theory is that 'Yoda' is a Force Angel: that ''the Force" makes a living being every 1,000 years or so to teach lifeforms about the Force and be a guide. Yoda was a Jedi, but the Force does not take sides, so the 'next' one could be a Sith (even more likely as we know Baby Yoda has both Light and Dark powers).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blech. I hate things like "the will of the Force" and stuff like that. "The prophecy" was a stupid thing to introduce, but it was, and the Sith have been destroyed. It's kind of terrible writing to have the Chosen One destroy the Sith only for them to come back like five or ten years later (though "badly written" seems to be a big part of the Star Wars mythos since, well, Splinter of the Mind's Eye.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-18 at 11:22 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Episode 7 and servitude.
    Show
    I think people are forgetting stuff about the whole servitude thing. He said that he served for 3 human lifetimes well that just means his servitude extended back into the Republic Era. All it means is that whoever owned him stayed with the Republic when it became the empire and didn't split off to join the Rebellion.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

KUILL, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Solid episode, glad to see a bunch of familiar faces back, I'm liking Dune more and more.

I'm kind of confused about the point of having two Imperial vilains, though. The Client is dead but apparently was only a proxy of Moff Gideon, who as far as I know is a new character, so what was the point of the Client in a doylist sense? And why kill him in a watsonian one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    IG-11'S BACK, BABY!

OK, so I don't actualy know if he's back. I'm tempted to think so since despiye what Kuill said, IG droids are built for a single purpose.
    While I think there's a good chance IG kept some of his combat skills I don't think he'll ever be a killing machine again, the parallels with the Mandalorian's character development are just too good to pass.
    "It's against his nature, he said, wearing the armor of the most war-like group in the entire galaxy".
    Also, I really loved Darth Baby Yoda.

"he's going to eat me!"
    When fifty years old, YOU age, you will be, even crankier, you will be!
    Glad to see some Force healing, though I'm not sure that was ever used on screen, but it just makes so much sense as a aounterpart to Sith Lightning.
    Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    A good episode which raises some questions.

Kuill served the imperials for three human lifetimes?
    The easy explanation would be that the people he was indutered to joined the Empire.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-12-19 at 02:53 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

KUILL, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Solid episode, glad to see a bunch of familiar faces back, I'm liking Dune more and more.

I'm kind of confused about the point of having two Imperial vilains, though. The Client is dead but apparently was only a proxy of Moff Gideon, who as far as I know is a new character, so what was the point of the Client in a doylist sense? And why kill him in a watsonian one?
    Spoiler
    Show
    So my theory is that the Client was also an Imperial Moff; he was clearly some sort of high ranking Imperial, given that he has his own private army, along with the gold aurodium Imperial Cog necklace he wears. Regardless, I think they're just two different warlords who grabbed whatever portion of the Empire they could. Moff Gideon found out about what The Client was up to and wanted it for himself.

Conversely, they could be part of the Imperial Remnant as a unified group and the Client could have been going behind Gideon's back, but I don't think they're trying to make the Imperial Remnant a thing anymore (and even the name I'm taking from the old EU).

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So my theory is that the Client was also an Imperial Moff; he was clearly some sort of high ranking Imperial, given that he has his own private army, along with the gold aurodium Imperial Cog necklace he wears. Regardless, I think they're just two different warlords who grabbed whatever portion of the Empire they could. Moff Gideon found out about what The Client was up to and wanted it for himself.

Conversely, they could be part of the Imperial Remnant as a unified group and the Client could have been going behind Gideon's back, but I don't think they're trying to make the Imperial Remnant a thing anymore (and even the name I'm taking from the old EU).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe, but the lack of fighting within the city makes it look like all these Imperials are only one faction and that this was more of a summary execution.

I'm just wondering what the Client's role in the story is now that he's died before he could do much of anything.
    EDit: Why not have the client and the big bad just be one and the same?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-12-19 at 03:17 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #217

Spoiler
    Show
    Why not have the client and the big bad just be one and the same?
    Yes, I too am interested in the finale!

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I too am interested in the finale!
    Oy, you cheeky bastard!
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-12-19 at 03:42 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #219
    Banned

BlackDragon

Spoiler: I liked
    Show

The Imperial Troop Transport!!!

I got that toy as a kid...and still have what is left of it. It was one of them Sears Only Special Toys (Sears was once upon a time a very special store that only sold Sears brand items and nearly nothing else).

Not only was it a cool enough toy to hold/store Star Wars figures....it also had a bunch of Offical Star Wars sounds on a tiny plastic record: super high tech '80's eletronics.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    There were earlier hints about The Client simply being a proxy for another, with Doctor Pershing mentioning that their superior had wanted them to bring The Child in alive. Gideon's appearance, resources, and capabilities represent an escalation of the Imperial threat--The Client represented the decaying Empire and its slipping grip on the Galaxy at large (and the Outer Rim specifically), while Gideon is a personification of how dangerous an Empire that is only mostly dead still is... and I wouldn't be surprised if Gideon's remnant has connections to the fragments that would become the First Order.

Spoiler: I liked
    Show

The Imperial Troop Transport!!!

I got that toy as a kid...and still have what is left of it. It was one of them Sears Only Special Toys (Sears was once upon a time a very special store that only sold Sears brand items and nearly nothing else).
    Spoiler
    Show
    The troop transport was previously introduced to the new-canon in Rebels. It's neat to see it used in a live action series.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Finally, finally caught up to Chapter 7, thanks to a timely gift of Disney+ from a relative.

Really enjoying it so far. I like how they’re starting to bring more of the side characters together, although the ending of Chapter 7 was a bit of a gut-punch.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, did anyone catch that it was Natalia Tena who was the Harley Quinn Twi’lek?

And I’m hoping the sniper assassin shows up again, because this show needs more Ming-Na Wen.

Originally Posted by Peelee
    …though "badly written" seems to be a big part of the Star Wars mythos since, well, Splinter of the Mind's Eye....
    Hey, I loved that book. Fight me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, speaking of Force healing, that was a major element in Splinter of the Mind’s Eye. It’s an ability that was right there at the birth of the EU, so it’s a little disappointing that it’s taken forty years to appear on-screen.

…I’m also heavily researching and building a screen-accurate Mandalorian costume….
    Any progress on this? I’d be interested to see how it turns out.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, did anyone catch that it was Natalia Tena who was the Harley Quinn Twi’lek?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was seriously impressed with the star power of the show so far, to be honest. I think everyone spotted Bill Burr straight away, and I recognised Mark Boone Jnr is pretty distinctive, but it took me most of the episode to recognise Richard Ayoade (Moss from The I.T. Crowd and the host of the newest version of The Crystal Maze) as Zero the Droid, and I still didn't spot Clancy Brown as Burg until I read it in the credits.

They're the sort of famous cameos that I enjoy - not someone famous in a bit of face paint winking at the camera, but people who are playing really interesting roles, really well, and then I'm all the more impressed afterwards that they were able to hide it despite their cult popularity.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

13. - Top - End - #223

Any progress on this? I’d be interested to see how it turns out.
    I'll be sure to show how it turns out!

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'll be sure to show how it turns out!
    Are you going for the full Beskar armor, or the pre-upgrade stuff? Or will it be modular, with parts for both?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Are you going for the full Beskar armor, or the pre-upgrade stuff? Or will it be modular, with parts for both?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Both, but it's not really modular, as the only time he has a mix is when he has the Beskar shoulder pauldron (though technically he also has various stages of destroyed durasteel armor during the second/third episode, but I don't care about those). The flight suit also changes when he gets the full Mandalorian iron suit, though, and that's probably going to be the last thing I get.

I am a bit sad that he got the new armor so quickly, since I really like the battered look and think it has a lot more character (I love the chest plate especially). The beskar does look sexy as hell, though.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Its also quite possible Moff Gideon is a rival or the one who hired those mercs originally guarding Baby Yoda when Mando and IG-11 team up.

17. - Top - End - #227

Spoiler
    Show
    Both, but it's not really modular, as the only time he has a mix is when he has the Beskar shoulder pauldron (though technically he also has various stages of destroyed durasteel armor during the second/third episode, but I don't care about those). The flight suit also changes when he gets the full Mandalorian iron suit, though, and that's probably going to be the last thing I get.

I am a bit sad that he got the new armor so quickly, since I really like the battered look and think it has a lot more character (I love the chest plate especially). The beskar does look sexy as hell, though.
    I just love that the guy is trying to be incognito in his +5 Mithril Full Plate armor in the middle of nowhere

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was seriously impressed with the star power of the show so far, to be honest. I think everyone spotted Bill Burr straight away, and I recognised Mark Boone Jnr is pretty distinctive, but it took me most of the episode to recognise Richard Ayoade (Moss from The I.T. Crowd and the host of the newest version of The Crystal Maze) as Zero the Droid, and I still didn't spot Clancy Brown as Burg until I read it in the credits.

They're the sort of famous cameos that I enjoy - not someone famous in a bit of face paint winking at the camera, but people who are playing really interesting roles, really well, and then I'm all the more impressed afterwards that they were able to hide it despite their cult popularity.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't forget Nick Nolte as the voice of Kuiil. I was thinking the voice sounded vaguely familiar, but didn;t realize it was him untol the credits.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

So, when do new episodes typically drop? I just got Disney+ and I'm caught up to chapter 7, on the edge of my seat waiting for the next one. Is it usually Friday or Saturday?

As for actors...

Spoiler
    Show
    The sole human guard on the prison ship in episode 6 was played by Matt Lanter, who's done the voice for Anakin Skywalker in the Clone Wars animated series.

And if the X-Wing pilots in that same episode seemed a little amateur, that's because they were played by some of the showrunners--Dave Filoni, who's created several Star Wars series, plus the guy who directed the prison-ship episode, and Deborah Chow, who directed a couple other episodes. Pretty sure Dave Filoni was fulfilling a lifelong ambition to be sitting in an X-Wing cockpit. I know I would be.

20. - Top - End - #230

So, when do new episodes typically drop? I just got Disney+ and I'm caught up to chapter 7, on the edge of my seat waiting for the next one. Is it usually Friday or Saturday?
    So I've got some good news and some bad news...

Episodes drop on Fridays (except the last one which dropped Thursday, so that it and TROS didn't release the same day. I think it's midnight EST, I get up at 5 to watch 'em and the charter is usually a couple hours old.

But the first season is only 8 chapters, so if you just got Disney+, you get one in two days, then wait for the whole next season.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-25 at 12:19 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231

Griffon

Episode 8 is SO FREAKING GOOD. That's pretty much all I have to say about that, save for how much I want Season 02 to begin.

If this is the quality of Disney+ "TV shows", sign me up for 'Kenobi' right now.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Episode 8 is pure metal. Beskar, of course.

Easily the best episode in the series, and that’s saying something. A satisfying conclusion to the season, while setting up the next season with a much broader stage. And knowing what a high bar they’ve set for the first season, I’m looking forward to seeing how they’ll top that in Season Two.

Meanwhile, in this episode…

Spoiler: Troopers
    Show
    The opening scene with the two bike troopers was so hilarious I had to watch it again on the spot. There are countless stormtrooper spoofs on YouTube, but I don’t think we’ve ever heard this kind of exchange between troopers in a canon production.

It’s almost a pity those two guys are bantha bait, because they’d make the perfect Shakespearean comic relief on a continuing basis. Ah well. Maybe IG-11 just left them mostly dead.

Spoiler: Droids
    Show
    I had a feeling that IG-11 would be back around to wreak havoc and whittle down the trooper count. Watching him steering the jetbike with his knees while raining fire at high speed was classic.

I also had a feeling that he’d end up self-destructing before the end. There was a real poignancy to it, and in a sense it’s a testament to the Ugnaught’s reprogramming skills.

The ferry droid was a nice touch, and I was getting a definite River Styx vibe from the boat trip down the lava river. Pretty sure they would’ve been baked by the heat in the enclosed space of the lava tunnel, but maybe the boat has a field generator to deflect the thermal energy or whatnot.

Or even a coolth generator, since that’s an actual thing in Star Wars, at least in the EU.

Spoiler: Past Conflicts
    Show
    I wasn’t expecting the flashback to the Clone Wars, nor for the Mandalorians to be the cavalry, but that ended up being a great scene. For the first time the B2 battle droids actually looked menacing and dangerous, rather than just the buffoons and saber-bait they were presented as in the prequel movies.

Spoiler: The Big Reveal
    Show
    After all the buildup, “This is the way,” etc., seeing the helmet come off was almost a disappointment. I’m not familiar with the actor, so I didn’t know what to expect, but it seemed to be more IG-11’s moment than the Mando’s.

Spoiler: We Love The Asset So Much….
    Show
    …that we’re going to shoot at it with a squad of death troopers, blow flames at it from a custom incinerator, threaten it with a hyped-up blaster cannon, and finally try to blast it with strafing runs by a TIE fighter.

Seriously, I don’t get this part. Moff Gideon wants Baby Yoda alive, and yet everything he does only puts the little guy in greater danger. I don’t really fathom that.

Something else I’m still not clear on is who originally hired IG-11 to terminate Baby Yoda. It wasn’t Gideon, because the Imperial client who first hired Mando was working for Gideon, who (apart from the strafing runs) seems to want Baby Yoda alive.

So is there another player out there, yet to be revealed?

Spoiler: Final Scene
    Show
    And so Moff Gideon has the darksaber, which featured in both Clone Wars and Rebels. Given that it’s a Mandalorian heirloom, I’m guessing this will be its own story arc in the next season.

As for whether we’ll get a full account of its provenance, that’s another question. The last I knew, Sabine Wren had it in Rebels, but I don’t recall if she had it with her during the post-Endor finale scenes. Regardless, she wouldn’t have just given it to the ISB.

So, pure speculation here, but since this is a show about Mandalorians in the post-Empire period, maybe we’ll get a guest appearance by Sabine in Season Two? If we start seeing walls tagged with Rebel graffiti, that’ll be a strong hint that she’s around.

I guess the broader question is whether this series will eventually dovetail with the portrayal of the Mandalorians in Clone Wars and Rebels, or if it’ll continue on the separate path of The Way. We’ve already seen that there are Mandalorian sects with different traditions, so for now I’m considering the Mandalorians in this series as following another tradition, as opposed to The Way being the new normal for all Mandalorians. I’m looking forward to Season Two going into a lot more detail on this.

And maybe even a Katee Sackhoff cameo. I can dream.

Last edited by Palanan; 2019-12-27 at 10:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Troopers
    Show
    The opening scene with the two bike troopers was so hilarious I had to watch it again on the spot. There are countless stormtrooper spoofs on YouTube, but I don’t think we’ve ever heard this kind of exchange between troopers in a canon production.

It’s almost a pity those two guys are bantha bait, because they’d make the perfect Shakespearean comic relief on a continuing basis. Ah well. Maybe IG-11 just left them mostly dead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you've ever played Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, or Jedi Academy, there are occasional moments where Kyle Katarn or Jaden Korr will overhear stormtroopers talking very much like this while he's hiding behind a bulkhead or something. This exchange was very much in that vein.

Spoiler: Droids
    Show
    The ferry droid was a nice touch, and I was getting a definite River Styx vibe from the boat trip down the lava river. Pretty sure they would’ve been baked by the heat in the enclosed space of the lava tunnel, but maybe the boat has a field generator to deflect the thermal energy or whatnot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Surface lava is actually the coolest form of molten stone, so it is possible to be relatively close to it with thermal shielding (there's all sorts of videos from Hawaii of geologists getting really close to lava flows). The boat had a very thick hull, so it could have shielded them. The violating physics part is actually IG-11 sinking in. Even though it's semi-liquid, lava's still extremely dense, you wouldn't go through (though this particularly mistake is common throughout media, LotR has the same issue).

Spoiler: We Love The Asset So Much….
    Show
    …that we’re going to shoot at it with a squad of death troopers, blow flames at it from a custom incinerator, threaten it with a hyped-up blaster cannon, and finally try to blast it with strafing runs by a TIE fighter.

Seriously, I don’t get this part. Moff Gideon wants Baby Yoda alive, and yet everything he does only puts the little guy in greater danger. I don’t really fathom that.

Something else I’m still not clear on is who originally hired IG-11 to terminate Baby Yoda. It wasn’t Gideon, because the Imperial client who first hired Mando was working for Gideon, who (apart from the strafing runs) seems to want Baby Yoda alive.

So is there another player out there, yet to be revealed?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty sure The Client actually ordered IG-11 to terminate. It was strongly implied that whatever they were going to do to The Child in episode 3 would result in its death. So there seems to have been a preference for taking in Baby Yoda alive, but dead is okay too. It has been admittedly kind of wishy-washy thought.

Spoiler: Final Scene
    Show
    And so Moff Gideon has the darksaber, which featured in both Clone Wars and Rebels. Given that it’s a Mandalorian heirloom, I’m guessing this will be its own story arc in the next season.

As for whether we’ll get a full account of its provenance, that’s another question. The last I knew, Sabine Wren had it in Rebels, but I don’t recall if she had it with her during the post-Endor finale scenes. Regardless, she wouldn’t have just given it to the ISB.

So, pure speculation here, but since this is a show about Mandalorians in the post-Empire period, maybe we’ll get a guest appearance by Sabine in Season Two? If we start seeing walls tagged with Rebel graffiti, that’ll be a strong hint that she’s around.

I guess the broader question is whether this series will eventually dovetail with the portrayal of the Mandalorians in Clone Wars and Rebels, or if it’ll continue on the separate path of The Way. We’ve already seen that there are Mandalorian sects with different traditions, so for now I’m considering the Mandalorians in this series as following another tradition, as opposed to The Way being the new normal for all Mandalorians. I’m looking forward to Season Two going into a lot more detail on this.

And maybe even a Katee Sackhoff cameo. I can dream.

Spoiler
    Show
    At the end of Rebels Sabine gives the Darksaber to Bo-Katan, and Katan is implied that she's going to take the fight to the Empire. Gideon's lines in this episode strongly imply that that happened and the outcome was decidedly not in the Mandalorians' favor. Gideon, both due to his knowledge and his possession of the Darksaber, appears to have been directly involved.

I doubt will see Sabine - I think Filoni's holding onto her for a hypothetical future season or two of Rebels once Clone Wars ends - but Bo-Katan makes a lot of sense, even if just in a flashback. I could totally see Katee Sackhoff showing up for that, at least in voice over. After all, she doesn't actually have to put on the suit give the current helmet doctrine.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

24. - Top - End - #234

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The violating physics part is actually IG-11 sinking in. Even though it's semi-liquid, lava's still extremely dense, you wouldn't go through (though this particularly mistake is common throughout media, LotR has the same issue).
    Spoiler
    Show
    We don't know what IG-11 is made of, to be fair. He could be denser than lava.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    After all, she doesn't actually have to put on the suit give the current helmet doctrine.
    I think that doctrine only applies to the sect The Mandalorian is in, given that his previous statement "weapons are part of my religion" doesn't mesh with Duchess Satine peacifying Mandalore, as well as all the Mandalorians we've seen buckets off.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Mechalich
    If you've ever played Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, or Jedi Academy….
    The last time I played a Star Wars game was about 1998, so probably not these.

Originally Posted by Mechalich
    Spoiler
    Show
    Surface lava is actually the coolest form of molten stone….
    Spoiler
    Show
    True, and I’ve seen some of those videos of geologists in Hawaii, and I’m very grateful I don’t work in that field.

But even cool molten rock is still molten rock, and I’m thinking in particular of the effects of all that heat being trapped inside a narrow-diameter tube. Those geologists in Hawaii are in the open air, and from what I’ve seen they’re on the edges of the lava flow, so the heat can radiate freely. In a lava tunnel the heat has nowhere to go, and I’d expect they would be cooked in short order.

As for IG-11, we’ve seen that his plating can deflect blaster bolts, so he’s probably extremely dense. I can work with him wading through lava, at least for a few dozen seconds, but I’ll have to fall back on “unseen thermal shielding generator in the lava boat” to account for the non-cookage of the organics.

I think that doctrine only applies to the sect The Mandalorian is in, given that his previous statement "weapons are part of my religion" doesn't mesh with Duchess Satine peacifying Mandalore, as well as all the Mandalorians we've seen buckets off.
    Agreed, although I’m wondering if Satine’s pacifism will be incorporated into “official” Mandalorian history or simply brushed off as a temporary aberration, or even ignored altogether.

I wouldn’t expect the latter, since Dave Filoni is so heavily involved, but Satine’s approach is radically counter to most of Mandalorian history, and it’s hard to reconcile with what we’ve seen of The Way. Given what we saw of Mandalore in Rebels, it doesn’t seem like Satine’s reforms ever really took hold. I’m hoping they’ll elaborate on this next season.

The more I think about it, The Way seems like an extreme splinter sect, since almost every named Mandalorian character hasn’t had an issue with removing the helmet for ordinary reasons. If I could guess, I’d say that whatever happened in the Purge, the originators of The Way went ultra-conservative in order to hold onto the purity of the Mandalorian soul, or something along those lines.

Last edited by Palanan; 2019-12-28 at 10:28 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    True, and I’ve seen some of those videos of geologists in Hawaii, and I’m very grateful I don’t work in that field.

But even cool molten rock is still molten rock, and I’m thinking in particular of the effects of all that heat being trapped inside a narrow-diameter tube. Those geologists in Hawaii are in the open air, and from what I’ve seen they’re on the edges of the lava flow, so the heat can radiate freely. In a lava tunnel the heat has nowhere to go, and I’d expect they would be cooked in short order.

As for IG-11, we’ve seen that his plating can deflect blaster bolts, so he’s probably extremely dense. I can work with him wading through lava, at least for a few dozen seconds, but I’ll have to fall back on “unseen thermal shielding generator in the lava boat” to account for the non-cookage of the organics.

Agreed, although I’m wondering if Satine’s pacifism will be incorporated into “official” Mandalorian history or simply brushed off as a temporary aberration, or even ignored altogether.

I wouldn’t expect the latter, since Dave Filoni is so heavily involved, but Satine’s approach is radically counter to most of Mandalorian history, and it’s hard to reconcile with what we’ve seen of The Way. Given what we saw of Mandalore in Rebels, it doesn’t seem like Satine’s reforms ever really took hold. I’m hoping they’ll elaborate on this next season.

The more I think about it, The Way seems like an extreme splinter sect, since almost every named Mandalorian character hasn’t had an issue with removing the helmet for ordinary reasons. If I could guess, I’d say that whatever happened in the Purge, the originators of The Way went ultra-conservative in order to hold onto the purity of the Mandalorian soul, or something along those lines.

I dont think Satine's pacifisim is TOO hard to reconcile with The Way. The Mandalorian describes it as, if he takes off his helmet,he can never put it back on again. Satine, then, basically asks, is that really a bad thing?

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Removing post because this was to go in a different window I didn't know this one was open.
    Last edited by Devonix; 2019-12-28 at 02:10 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I think it's something slightly different than that.

Spoiler
    Show
    You'll notice that The Mandalorian never tells anyone his name, and was honestly surprised when the Moff knew it. He never takes off his helmet, so for all anyone knows it could be anyone under that helmet. Sure, the helmets are all slightly different for the most part but most seem to follow a same general pattern. Their lair is called a 'Covert' or a Hiding place, they stress that they require secrecy to survive, and judging by his flashback are some kind of offshoot of the Death Watch which already had some experience as a secretive group. (Which is weird because Death Watch sided with Dooku/the Separatists during the clone wars, but whatever.)

I think the reason why they have an issue with removing the helmet is because removing the helmet makes you a person. You're not just an anonymous mandalorian anymore, you're black hair guy the mandalorian. Names as well, someone knows your name and you're not just another Mandalorian faceplate in the crowd. You're Boba Fett, or (I didn't even catch the mandalorians actual name this episode.)

The Armor acts as a separation from the outside world. Same with the Namelessness. It's a way to keep secrets secret, and keep others from getting too familiar with the Mandalorians. After all, Greef just calls him Mando for.... literally the entire season even having heard his name.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    There were earlier hints about The Client simply being a proxy for another, with Doctor Pershing mentioning that their superior had wanted them to bring The Child in alive. Gideon's appearance, resources, and capabilities represent an escalation of the Imperial threat--The Client represented the decaying Empire and its slipping grip on the Galaxy at large (and the Outer Rim specifically), while Gideon is a personification of how dangerous an Empire that is only mostly dead still is... and I wouldn't be surprised if Gideon's remnant has connections to the fragments that would become the First Order.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Am I the only person who can only think of him as Darth Gus by the end of chapter 8?
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2019-12-28 at 04:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

That Storm Trooper bit is probably the first time SW (intentionally) made me laugh out loud ever since the "cancer sticks" scene from episode 2.
    Homebrew Stuff: