New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Xfinity/Comcast scam??

Hey guys. I've been getting some sort of pop-up (it's not a completely new window though) when I visit this website a lot of times now. Typically it's showing up as I'm checking a game thread or trying to make a reply. It's extremely annoying in the latter scenario, as even though I type up a full post and submit it, somehow it eats up everything I wrote and then says I didn't write a response that was long enough.

Spoiler: It looks like this
    Show

The thing is, I only ever see this thing when I visit this website. I haven't seen it anywhere else. I'm wondering.. I don't think this is really legit is it? Is there some kind of code that was snuck onto this website? Again, main reason I am asking on a site related board is because I have never gotten this pop-up anywhere else. Only here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Xfinity/Comcast scam??

I have this site fully whitelisted and haven't seen anything like this myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have Comcast for an ISP and have never seen this either. Have you tried contacting Comcast support (not through the pop-up, but through their regular support channels) to see if it's a legit message from them?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately no. Seeing as I don't own the place or pay for the internet...

I guess this is more of a thing to bring up to my landlord if this persists. I'd have to ask them to call comcast for me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Its almost certainly not actually comcast. If they detected suspicious activity, they would most likely be calling your landlord or whoever pays for the internet rather than just sending a popup through the device. I recommend checking your browser addons for anything you don't remember installing, and if that doesn't find anything (or if it does), running a full malware scan with your antivirus.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Hey guys. I've been getting some sort of pop-up (it's not a completely new window though) when I visit this website a lot of times now. Typically it's showing up as I'm checking a game thread or trying to make a reply. It's extremely annoying in the latter scenario, as even though I type up a full post and submit it, somehow it eats up everything I wrote and then says I didn't write a response that was long enough.

Spoiler: It looks like this
    Show

The thing is, I only ever see this thing when I visit this website. I haven't seen it anywhere else. I'm wondering.. I don't think this is really legit is it? Is there some kind of code that was snuck onto this website? Again, main reason I am asking on a site related board is because I have never gotten this pop-up anywhere else. Only here.
    It feels like a virus in your browser, I'm afraid. Why only this site? It might be related to the way you log in here (e.g. without 2FA through google/facebook). Or because it uses BBCode, and it is highjacking it. Or any of a dozen other possibilities I'm not even aware of (I'm no expert). Bottom line: attack vectors are quite varied, and most virus exploit one specifically. I recently had something similar, with 3 or 4 webcomics having obnoxious pop-ups and pop-unders, but all other webcomics I visit were fine. I ran a scan, cleaned up whatever had managed to wiggle its way in, and the problem cleared up. Can't promise it'll help you, but it's a good place to start.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-08-31 at 08:48 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Why only this site?
    Probably because this site doesn't use HTTPS.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Actually, Xfinity does send notifications within the browser. https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...cations-policy

If it isn't a scam, it's possible that you really have some malware installed that acts like a bot, but it's also possible that it's a false positive. It's happened to me to try and open Youtube to find a little text instead that said that my traffic was unusual and I probably was a bot.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).