New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Power of Chaos [IC Thread]

Gregor

"Ja, I am goink vizh you. Besides, it's on zhe vay to zhe ruins. Should ve vait for Red?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Red
    Red looks up and down the street, and shouts one more time. "Are you okay in there?" he calls at the door, waiting a few seconds for the chef to answer.

"I'm coming in!" he warns, before pulling on his gloves and gripping the doorknob tightly. Gripping the handle firmly in one hand, he forces the lock and peers inside.

Strength - (1d20+6)[21]

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Riona Lochlainn

"I'm sure he'll be fine. I'm not worried about it." Riona waves a hand dismissively. "The sooner we're on the road, the better."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

yuk Re: Power of Chaos [IC Thread]

Red

The room inside is completely fine. The chef's breakfast is still sitting on the table, and is long cold by now. Otherwise, it's like the chef got up and left one day. Someone nearby screams, and everything speeds up..

Group

As you begin walking, you immediately notice a throng of people rushing toward the city. When you move to investigate, you see Red surrounded by a crowd of people. He's holding a door in one hand and the house behind him is missing it's door..

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Riona Lochlainn

"Looks like we'll need to find ourself a new cook," Riona mutters under her breath. "Keep walking, don't look at him, don't react if he yells at us. I'm feeling far too ill to get lynched today."

6. - Top - End - #156

Red
    Red, deciding not to give people an excuse to believe he's trying to break in, follows up, quickly waving as if gesturing for the crowd to follow, and runs inside, putting the door down beside him.

"Hello?" he calls inside, peering about, and tries to get a feel for how long the breakfast has been sitting there.

"He's been kidnapped!" he yells over the crowd. It probably wasn't exactly true, but given the nature of magic and the situation, it was probably better to just throw out something now rather than waiting for someone to draw conclusions.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gregor

Gregor nods to Riona in confirmation, and responds in a very hushed voice. "But zhere are many vays of not revealink ourselves vhile still findink out vhat happened. And I happen to like zhat cook's stew."

Trying to blend into the crowd, Gregor and acts the part of a curious townsperson and shuffles forward slightly. He expressly avoids being the first or last one to (and eventually in) the front door, and does his level best to subdue his accent for the time being.

"A kidnapping? Who was the victim?" he asks aimlessly at the crowd around him, looking naively curious.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe a bluff check to look convincing?
    Bluff - (1d20+11)[12](23)

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Crowd

People are stupid. And these people are no exception. Many of them immediately parrot Gregor's request, mostly with fists raised and shouting. Most of them are directing accusations toward Red.

9. - Top - End - #159

Red
    "The chef who lives here!" shouts back Red, inwardly sighing at the idiocy of the crowd. A little voice in the back of his head nagged at him to simply kill them all, making him feel slightly ill, but he manages to suppress both the voice and the feeling soon enough.

The assessment of the person he was looking for being kidnapped was honest enough - something he'd learned to do knowing how utterly unconvincing it was when he lied - but this crowd was beginning to get on his nerves, and his shouting voice wasn't all that strong.

Having grown accustomed to Gregor's accent, he doesn't realise that his friend is in the crowd.

"Get the guard!" he calls - at least the city guard would not be quite so incredibly dense, or at least he hoped so. If nothing else, it would clear out this frustratingly dense crowd and their ability to out-shout everything.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

A man in breastplate and greaves pushes his way through the crowd. He's apparently a guardsman if you guess from the way he's dressed. He approaches slowly with a hand on the hilt of his blade. "Sir, you're going to need to come with me. We need to ask you some questions about this chef of yours.."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Barbarian in the Playground

Garsh Mikelmirth

The hairy hadozee pushed through the crowd. "What's this who's this going on here," he demanded. "Red, what business have you been up to this morning? Weren't you going to get us food?"

He turned to the guardsman. "And you, young man." The guardsman wasn't that young. "Disperse the rabble before there's a riot. That's what they pay you for. I'll keep an eye on this one. Hurry, before this gets ugly."

Spoiler
    Show
    If appropriate:
    Diplomacy - (1d20+2)[19]
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

12. - Top - End - #162

Red
    "Sightseeing. I've already got as much food as we'll need for about a month back at the mansion. I heard there was a chef here who hadn't shown his face for a while." responded Red, taking a seat.

"Well, officer, I think you'd best mop this up first. I don't want to have caused a riot."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gregor

Seeing Garsh take a position with Red, Gregor moves forward through the crowd and reclaims his accent. "Vell if it isn't Red. Let me guess. You vent off on anozher recipe hunt, but zhe chef vas missink and you assumed zhe vorst."

Turning to the guard, he continues in a weary tone. "Zhese people don't need to be here, and if zhey stay zhey are going to get in zha vay." He tries to help the guard disperse the crowd.

Spoiler
    Show
    Some rolls might help for the crowd stuff:
    Bluff - (1d20+11)[20](31)
    Diplomacy - (1d20+7)[16](23)

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

The crowd is dispersed by the guard, with Gregor's assistance, and everything is back to a relative normal. Once the guard gets his answers to why Red was there, he leaves to report the disappearance to his superiors.

15. - Top - End - #165

Red
    Red's cheeks turned a bright red. It was true, and he knew it. There was always something about him that clicked when he thought there was trouble. Polite people called it the 'inner knight', though if it was there it was certainly a very loud, vocal one with a remote control to his head.

"I came down because the chef had not been seen this morning, assuming he'd just slept in, and when there was no response I assumed the worst and forced the door."
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2007-12-06 at 02:26 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gregor

"I zhink zhat ven you burst zhrough zhe door it became za vurst, ja? Overdoink it a bit. But no matter. Let's find out vhat happened to zhis chef ..."

With that he enters the house and starts looking around.

Spoiler
    Show
    Effects:see invisibility and darkvision from See the Unseen, comprehend languages (written text only) from All-Seeing Eyes
    Search - (1d20+8)[9](17)

17. - Top - End - #167

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeah, over doin' it a bit 'ere, mate." Toryn smirks, obviously amused at the relatively harmless fiasco. "Still, maybe 'ere's somethin' fishy goin' on 'ere. If ya don't mind I think I'll 'elp ya look around."

Rolls:

18. - Top - End - #168

Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh rolled his eyes and squatted near the door. "If it's all the same to you, I have work waiting for me on the other end. Let me know if you find anything interesting, though. I'm sure his recipe cards are just fascinating."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Search Results

No one finds anything amiss. It seems as if the chef up and left one day. Toryn finds the man's recipe book though, hidden under the counter and stuffed behind all his cleaning supplies.

20. - Top - End - #170

In responce to Garsh, Toryn says, "Well, Red 'ere obviously has some sort a' reason for bein' here. Important enough to rip down th' door, yeah?" He grins at this and hands Red the recipe book. "'Ere's the recipe book. Was 'at th' only reason you came around 'ere? It looks like 'e just left to go 'bout 'is day, so what made you think 'ere's any sort a foul play 'ere?"
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2007-12-08 at 11:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171

Red
    Sitting down, Red flips open the recipe book and gives it a quick once-over, thumbing through it almost absentmindedly. He was already embarassed enough about spontaneously breaking the door because the thought entered his mind that the Chef could be in trouble. Again.

"No chef would leave their recipe book behind willingly." he remarks as he browses through the contents, making a mental note to buy an empty book and work on compiling one of his own. "Even if he was paid, he'd have taken it with him - nobody would have noticed it was gone, what with the way it was hidden."

Profession - (1d20+13)[32]

Spoiler
    Show
    Off stage, Red buys himself an Empty Spellbook, a vial of Ink and an Inkpen - totalling to 4gp 5sp
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2007-12-09 at 06:52 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to be gone for the next week or so - could you please NPC me until I get back? Thanks in advance.

Obviously, this applies to The Last Citadel as well.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Red

The gnoll returns with a large empty book and begins copying recipes.

The Room

It's rather obvious that the chef is gone, whereto, you do not know. But here, he is not.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gregor

Finishing up his search, Gregor leans up against the door frame, sighs loudly, and stares outside. "He is strangely gone. Very strangely gone. But ve should be goink. Ve have a vizard's home to find, and ve can tell zhe noble on zhe vay about his chef. He's probably got more resources to search for him zhan ve do, and he's got the time."

Gregor readjusts his clothes, having been ruffled from the search. Gesturing to his comrades, he walks out of the house, takes a few steps, and then turns himself around mid-stride. Popping his head back in the door, he says, "Vere vas zhat vizard's home again?"

25. - Top - End - #175

Red
    Red pauses, and leaves the empty book in his bag. That would be saved for his own recipes. Instead, he spends a bit of time while waiting making little notes in the margins and providing commentary, signing his name inside the back cover.

He does, however, copy the recipe for Blade Isle Potstickers, making a note on the relevant page of the other chef's book that he made a copy of it (and an assurance that he wouldn't be using it directly), and puts the book away where it was found.

26. - Top - End - #176

"Stiiiiill not so sure 'ere's anythin' to worry about 'ere, but whatever, mates." With that, Toryn follows behind Gregor.

27. - Top - End - #177

Garsh Mikelmirth

"Mebbe all this will be interesting later, when we're having that chili cook-off among the crew. For now, the wizard's waiting--and so is my work."

Despite his grumping, he sidled up to Red once they got back on the road. "Find anything that looks tasty?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

The group leaves the city, heading due south to the wizard's castle. Travel is mostly uneventful..

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot/Listen, please.

29. - Top - End - #179

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+8=13) (Bleh)
    Listen: (1d20+13=16)(Geez, the dice hate me today...)

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Spot: (1d20)[10]
    Listen: (1d20)[16]