New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

Arkham, 4:05 PM, September 25th, 1921

You're reading in Orne Library, maps are sprawled out in front of you, and a pile of books concerning a wide variety of subjects are stacked up right next to you. When suddenly a *tap tap* grabs your attention. As you raise your gaze from "Fire Rituals: from the Wicker Man to the Fourth of July, Why We Love Them" you notice that Mr. Merriweather happened to stroll up to your table. You also notice he has a cane, and has used it to rap on your desk. "Why I hadn't expected for you to be reading such a book as that? What, are you planning on capturing me and burning me alive? Should I be worried?" Your chuckle sounds false in your mouth, and it is here where you decide to tell him the truth.

Mr. Merriweather listens to your tale, nodding every now and then, but always looking at you with a deep intensity. After you finished he strangely does not look frazzled in the slightest, but looks out towards the university itself, his normal jovial attitude replaced with one that seems to be full of... regret? "You know, I used to be part of a club here, an extra-curricular society if you would."

He continues to stare off in the distance, practically counting the specks of dirt on each surface of every building. "We used to have such fun gallivanting around, ah vigor. To be young and spry again, eh Miss McCoy." He then looks back to you, the old smile now plastered on his face "Anyway, us old fogies fizzled out and stopped coming, but the club we originated from, now that's still going." He then strokes his chin, "You know, I think they're having a meeting this Friday night. You should go! I'm sure you'll meet some new people that way."

He then looks at his watch and gasps. "Well, I'd best be headed off, Agnes will chew my ear out if I stay out to late, and Bertrand..." The man looks down then looks back with a bright smile. "Ah, I don't need to worry you with the most intricate details of my familial life, farewell Deirdre!

Oh, and you might want to check a list of townships in the 1870s!
    "

Confused, you head over to a librarian and ask for another map of New Hampshire, only this one dated around sixty years in the past (closest one to 1870), and it's there when you see it: Emberhead. In a mad rush you search through a variety of other books written around this time and you discover that apparently, all that's left of Emberhead is a set of ruined homes and crumbled buildings, as it was destroyed in a freak forest fire around forty years ago...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Before Deirdre recounted her tale, she warned Mr. Merriweather that her story would sound crazy. She told him she wasn't even sure if it all was real anymore and was doubting herself at this point.

"I feel as though I'm at a dead end. I'm afraid... did I just go completely insane? How did I wind up in Ossipee, covered in burns and without any of my belongings? Then that begs the question, what did happen?"

Then she spills the beans. She starts out broadly, generally summarizing what happened. And if Mr. Merriweather hadn't dismissed her by then, she goes back to the beginning, recounting as many details as she could, with, of course, other thoughts to interject in hindsight.

---

After that, it seemed he hadn't thought her a freak or crazy like she feared. But strangely enough, he was forlorn, gazing out a window.

"A club? A society? What was it exactly about?" she asks.

And when he gives the excuse that he's too old, she questions further, "What happened, Rupert? Did you stop going only because you grew older? Surely.. surely you aren't too old to go to a little meeting on Fridays!"

---

Upon Mr. Merriweather's last bit of advice, she finally found something. The revelation amazed Deirdre. She was dumbstruck, just staring at the date. "It exists... it exists!" she whispers to herself, trembling. Well, more like... it existed.

The finding was both a blessing and a curse to her. Nothing made sense. Absolutely none of it. She even remembered the date on that most recent tombstone, 1888. Even assuming the church and graveyard weren't disused for decades... How was this possible? How was any of this remotely possible??

And yet, she had never heard of the name Emberhead in her life before. Nor could she explain where the scrap of dress with the poppy came from. She could swear she never had such an article of clothing before, nor did her family. What were the chances that she would have such a vivid dream or hallucination, trek through dozens of miles of wilderness on foot covered in burns, and somehow peg the name of that village in that same location? How did she even get those burns? She couldn't make a fire out in the wilderness if her life depended on it!

'Something did happen...' she thought. But at this point... what more could she do? Feeling vindicated, if at least only partially, she carefully puts all the books and maps away and heads home. It was time to stop dwelling in the past. This was probably the closest to closure she was ever going to get, and she recognized that fact.

There was still a lot on Deirdre's mind. She cooked a light dinner, and feeling mentally exhausted, tried to sleep early but couldn't. The memories she had, the burns she suffered: they were so real. She wondered if Emberhead would exist today if she had merely let the flames consume her.

Her eyes wandered to a frame in the room, which oddly enough contained just that single scrap of singed cloth, with the poppy on it, and she thought of the villagers she met. How happy and friendly they seemed at first. But in the end.. she hadn't a high opinion of any one of them, save for little Ruth... Silas, she had no idea of his involvement. Or the blacksmith.. how guilty he looked, and the quality of the chains.. did he..? She cried one last time, for everyone. All the murderers who probably didn't even deserve the sympathy. And especially for those that were innocent in the matter.

But whether or not it was true, she was here and alive. And she was going to make the most of it. Going to that club Mr. Merriweather mentioned seemed like a good idea. It might just be the thing she needed. Deirdre breathed deeply, concentrating on her breath, her heartbeat, feeling the flow of her blood ebb all the way down to her extremities. It felt good to be alive, in a soft warm bed and with a bright future for tomorrow. She wanted to appreciate it more. And soon she did indeed slip into a peaceful slumber. The memories of Emberhead that haunted her hadn't been nearly as bad or prevalent since.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-09-09 at 02:36 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mr. Merriweather seems to be rather vague on the details except noting that "It was mostly concerned about stories, mysteries that could not be explained in their entirety. Eventually I'm afraid I lost some of my investigative spirit concerning such things... but that does not mean that you should try it!"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre nods along to the explanation. It seemed pretty vague, and even though she felt she could trust this man with her life, she is hesitant. Deirdre asks, "Well... would you at least be able to come with me for my first time? I ... I'm not entirely sure if I belong there. And I don't plan on telling anyone else about my experience. Please? Just this once? I'm sure they'll be glad to see you, and I'll make sure they don't make you lift a finger if you don't want to."

She pleads to Mr. Merriweather with her puppy dog eyes.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Persuade! (1d100)[21]
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-09-09 at 01:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

For a moment, Mr. Merriweather seems extremely tempted (that would beat a hard difficulty, yes, but sadly...). However he looks away and says, "I'm deeply sorry Deirdre, but there are some important matters that I must attend to. Indeed, it would be best for you to go by yourself. In addition, I hardly know anyone there anymore, I have simply heard that it is still active and when you told me your story, I feel as if it could be a good place for you. No need to share anything with anyone else, I simply think that your presence there could help you during this transition."
    ----

Please give me a Psychology roll.
    ----

Arkham, 3:15 PM, September 30th, 1921

You head towards Room U35. You're honestly quite unsure what you're doing. What even is this "Club" anyway? Either way, you stand here at a crossroads, shall you open it? Or depart and focus on living the rest of your life, you have a job, an apartment, some friends (or at least acquaintances), it could most surely stay that way.
    However, should you decide to open it, your life will surely be changed... forever.
    ----

Oh boy, that was long, but we're finally here. Again, I know it's very railroady, but that's kinda how I have to run the in-between segments, just to actually have everything make sense and ensure that the game does not drag on forever.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre presses on, despite her better judgement. But what was the worst that could happen? Surely a bunch of crazy cultists wouldn't sacrifice her again? She laughed inwardly to herself at the thought.

Besides, if this little club wasn't her cup of tea, she could always.. you know, stop coming.

She opens the door and enters, preparing to greet everyone with a warm smile.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Deirdre cannot help but get the feeling that while Mr. Merriweather believes everything he says concerning the Society (that it could be helpful and is full of good people, etc...) Deirdre cannot help but also notice that he seems to have some sort of powerful deep-seated fear of... something, she can't quite put her finger on it, but that is most likely the reason why her normal way of convincing people seemed to have no effect.
    ----

Also, now that I consider it a bit more closely I think that would've been Charm not Persuade (more appeals to emotion and puppy dog eyes). Nevertheless you may tick-mark Psychology.
    ----

You open the door to see three people sitting in an cleared-out lecture hall, but with several chairs surrounding the table. "Well, I'm still not sure this is entirely our area of 'expertise', Lois. I'm a risk taker, fair and simple, but that doesn't mean I'm inclined to go rushing off after the first person who calls wolf!" A young african-american woman says to one of the other members. She wears fashionable clothing and seems to be filled with a sort of youthful vigor.
    "Lois," apparently the other student, flares up for just a moment. "Well ex-cuse me for believing there could be things in the world that God made other than us humans. Why, imagine the possibilities!" She is an young Italian woman with an athletic build and a stylish bob of dark brown hair.
    "Now now, settle down. While I'm unsure if this would truly be an exploration into the unexplained, the money would still go a long... oh! We have a visitor!" As the third member of the group you see a man in casual clothes, but with a rather sporting fedora. "Lois, Jessie, it appears we have a guest here. Please, stop the fighting, would you?" He then turns back towards you. "Is there something I can help you with ma'am?"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre had come a long way from when she first arrived in Ossipee nearly dead, destitute, and unsure of herself and anything anymore. Her hair was trimmed a bit here and there where it got damaged by fire, but the smell of smoke had finally washed out, and it was back to its former autumny brownish red glory.

With the end of summer approaching, summerdresses were on sale as stores made room for the fall and winter clothing. Deirdre couldn't help but buy a couple, as well as shop around in some thrift stores for a few other articles of clothing. And the poor, neglected lime-green hat in the discount bin, which she thought was unique and interesting enough to be her old hat's successor.

She wore one of those dresses now, along with her bright hat. Her purse was merely a canvas, handled shopping bag, and her wallet just an old envelope, but she still had all the charm she used to, albeit perhaps with a bohemian look to her. Still with a beaming smile on her face, she slowly approaches the three and waves, mainly by wiggling her fingers.

"Hello! I'm here for the club?"

Though she definitely overheard the three talking about something that sounded strange, she draws a bit closer still, glancing at the table. Maybe they were just playing some kind of game...?

Looking around the auditorium, she noticed the distinct lack of people present. She thought there might be more. Deirdre asks, "Am I early?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-09-09 at 09:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The man looks confused, "Early? No, not at all, why would you think..." He strokes his chin for a moment as Jessie happens to notice you standing in the doorway.
    "Come in! We're always accepting new members, isn't that right Professor Jones?" She elbows him as you see that they're gathered around what appears to be a letter and a ticket.
    "Hmm...? Oh yes, of course, forgive my absentmindness." Professor Jones tips his fedora in your direction.
    "Anyway, I say we go for it, what's the harm? We investigate it over the weekend, see what we turn up, and if there's nothing... well. Then that's it, case closed!" Lois seems to be very focused on whatever this debate is.
    "Sorry Miss..." All eyes look towards you.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre looks perplexed around the room. She wondered what they were going on about. It was then she realized that she hadn't even introduced herself. The context of "Professor Jones" trailing off made complete sense now.

"Oh! I'm sorry. My name is Deirdre. Deirdre McCoy," she says with a slight blush. "And you are a professor at the university?" she asks with a hint of surprise.

As soon as she gets the chance, Deirdre asks, "If you don't mind my asking, what were you all just talking about?"

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The man with the fedora smiles, "Ah my apologies Ma'am, I'm Professor Jones, Nevada Jones. And yes, I'm
    a professor of archeology at this famed school of ours.
    "
    The African-American girl then speaks up, "I'm Jessie, Jessie Williams. I'm studying history here, but I've always been interested in exploring God's mysteries."
    Then the Italian girl makes her piece as well. "Meanwhile I'm Lois Russo. I'm taking engineering classes here. This seemed like an interesting way to investigate the supernatural."
    After introductions have been made Professor Jones continues, "Sorry for suddenly involving you in this, but since you're interested, let me explain. We received word from a friend of mine and an alumnus of this university, Mr. Thomas Kimball, that he had a rather unusual break-in. Normally he'd contact the police, but it's rather strange and all, and given the nature of this society, I thought I should broach the topic of sending one of our number out there to explore."
    Jessie's eyes then dart back towards you, "Professor Jones, does Miss McCoy even know what this society is?"
    Everyone then awaits your response.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, um.. no," Deirdre says flatly.

"A.. friend said maybe I should try meeting you all. Said it might be good for me... I'm afraid he was very vague, however and didn't even tell me the name of your.. society. So, you investigate supernatural things? And people would rather have you investigate a break-in rather than the police??" she asks with disbelief.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois laughs and then adds, "Well, sort of Miss McCoy, this a society of discovery. We explore the unexplained. I guess afterwards we might tell stories about it, but it's been here quite a long time, with different students and staff members leaving and joining. As for the police, it's not so much that we're taking over for them, more that Mr. Kimball did not want to bother the police department with the theft."
    Jessie nods in confirmation, "We deal with whatever strangeness lies upon God's great earth-"
    As Professor Jones cuts her off "Now Jessie, we're getting ahead of ourselves." He then looks back to you, "Now, we certainly have a wide variety of mysterious things in this world. However, in the end, much of the strangeness is more mundane than we originally anticipated." He looks then back towards Jessie and Lois, "Hence why I do understand Jessie's-"
    "But Professor, why not have a look, I'm sure that there's something there. I highly doubt an alumni of this university such as Mr. Kimball would deceive us in such a way. It doesn't make any sense." She then turns towards Jessie, "And Professor Jones said we could use the mone-"
    "Wait a moment, you're busy this weekend with James, I have a paper to write on the Emancipation Proclamation, and Professor, you said you had a gosh-darned load of papers to grade!"
    The professor then strokes his chin, "That is true, Jessie, maybe I can..." He then turns towards you. "You know, Miss McCoy, I know you just met this little... Society of ours, but how would you like to go on an expedition to explore the unexplained? I'm not sure what you're doing this weekend, but I'm certain you would be well-compensated for your efforts."

The two students also look towards you, Lois stares at you with pleading eyes while Jessie merely seems to be gauging your reaction. You do recall that you have nothing going on this weekend.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

As Lois talks about exploring the unexplained, Deirdre immediately thinks of the experience she had in Emberhead. No wonder Mr. Merriweather recommended she come here... Still.. was delving into more mysteries, which might be just as confusing or worse than what she discovered, really such a good idea?

The three talk about the situation, still in rather vague terms. Deirdre would have asked them to slow down and explain what was going on in the first place, but Jessie immediately pivoted to everyone's busy schedules. Suddenly, she was put on the spot light. Mr. Jones was suggesting what now??

"Uh.. wh- what..??" Deirdre says, not only with sheer confusion but with her face paling. What were these people trying to pawn off on her??

Her usually cheerful and outgoing demeanor was cracked. Eying the two students and professor, Deirdre wheels back and stammers, "C-could you all please s-slow down and tell me what you're talking about?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Jessie looks alarmed as she notices your fright. "Look, Lois, you're going far to fast, you've scared the devil right out of her!" She then walks over to you. "I'm dreadfully sorry, you probably came here just to listen to some stories, didn't you." Watching your expression carefully she continues. "Well, we've all had rather, interesting experiences concerning the unknown."

She looks around towards her two compatriots who nod encouragingly. "If you'd like to investigate deeper into what cannot be explained, we happened to receive a decent job offer recently. I know that you just met this club, and you don't have to say anything right now, but if, by the end of today, you've enjoyed your time, just let us know so that we can telegram Mr. Kimball." They all then sink back down into their seats, clearly a bit frightened that their energetic nature has possibly frightened a possible member from their already small club.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre nods slowly and cautiously. "Yes... why don't we just talk for a little while?" she suggests. "You sound really excited about this.. job, after all. What do you all do if you don't have one?"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The group nods as a conversation begins amongst everyone, Professor Jones begins by noting how more and more of Peru was being unearthed, and that it was only a matter of time until a new great discovery was located there. Was it possible that new things unknown to humanity lurked in the shadows? The stories of the Inca Empire and their ancient mythologies could soon spill its secrets out for mankind to learn and understand. Not only that, but artifacts of great importance could be discovered, having been well-preserved throughout history, and could be put into a museum for all to learn about.

The passion Dr. Jones has for Archaeology is fascinating, and you expect that each week a different member shares some sort of story relating to new and exciting explorations into what previously could not be explained. In addition, you begin to gather that each member goes out on an "exploration into the unexplained" from whatever contacts they've heard or from whomever they know within the township of Arkham.

Eventually the discussion comes to a close, and the question remains.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre was pretty interested by Professor Jones's talk. It was about as enlightening and intriguing as Mr. Merriweather's chats. She occasionally asked some questions, some seemingly not very bright for one who might be studying history, archeology, or anthropology at this university. But then again, of course, Deirdre wasn't studying there.

But overall, Deirdre didn't really have much meaningful to add to the conversation amongst the four. She wasn't well-versed in those subjects at all, hadn't gone on any "exploration journeys", and she just wasn't comfortable sharing her prior experience - the whole reason it was suggested she come here - with these people. Maybe.. maybe one day... but not until she really knew them and could trust them. Even then, she wasn't sure what good it would do.

Finally conversation comes back around full circle to the little job they were talking about earlier. Deirdre looks a bit sad and says, "Well.. I'm afraid I don't have any unexplained events I can share with you..."

"But I suppose, with you all being so busy this weekend, that's why you wanted me to look into it... Right, let's start over, shall we? An alumni from this university, Thomas Kimball, had.. as you said, an 'unusual' break-in..."

She looks at everyone expectantly. "Soo... care to begin with what was so unusual? And was anything damaged or stolen? I hope no one was hurt..."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Three smiles grow onto the faces of the club members. "So... about the case, Thomas Kimball, an alumni of Miskatonic has been burglarized."
    Lois then chimes in "But this wasn't any ordinary burglary, no. The burglar only stole books. There were a variety of other valuables within the house, but the burglar only took a couple of his uncle's books." Her voice then takes on a lower pitch, masked in mystery. "And even stranger is that his uncle, Douglas Kimball, vanished nearly a year ago without a trace."
    Professor Jones then smiles as the two students retell the story, and cannot resist adding in a piece of his own. "Now Felix, Thomas has no idea if the two events are even related in the slightest, but apparently his uncle was a rather mundane fellow. Nothing ever happened to him, and the fact that these two strange events occured in the past couple of years and are associated with his uncle brought our attention." He then raises his hand to note, "We've helped people in the past, Deirdre. As I've said before, the Arkham Police Department sometimes calls on us, but Thomas lives in Arnoldsberg, a couple hours drive from here. I wouldn't expect any help, so I'm afraid you'd be on your own for this investigation. But it shouldn't be too bad right? You could just try your best and see what you can find."
    He then hands you a coach ticket towards Arnoldsberg, "This was included in the request, I hope you wouldn't mind a motor-coach drive. It should leave tomorrow morning. Hopefully that'd offer you enough time to return on Monday." The Society smiles, hopefully gathering another member of their group.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps jumping the gun, Deidre thinks out loud, "Huh.. it sounds like his uncle just came back to get his books..." She shrugs.

But it shouldn't be too bad right? You could just try your best and see what you can find.

Deirdre looks at everyone helplessly. "But.. what exactly am I supposed to do?? I go over there, talk to the guy, look at the empty space in his library... Then what? I- I'm not a psychic!"

This was included in the request, I hope you wouldn't mind a motor-coach drive. It should leave tomorrow morning. Hopefully that'd offer you enough time to return on Monday.

She looks down at the motor coach ticket. She was only really skeptical about the whole situation at this point, doubting she could do anything but have an awkward conversation with this 'client' and leave with nothing, making him angry and dissatisfied.

But Deirdre's face becomes filled with dread when she sees the motor coach ticket. She stares at it...
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-09-10 at 11:20 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Perhaps jumping the gun, Deidre thinks out loud, "Huh.. it sounds like his uncle just came back to get his books..." She shrugs.
    Lois notes "That's what I said, but then Jessie asked why he wouldn't see his nephew, or where he'd been for a year, and why nobody spotted him. Which are all... decent points that could use explaining."

Deirdre looks at everyone helplessly. "But.. what exactly am I supposed to do?? I go over there, talk to the guy, look at the empty space in his library... Then what? I- I'm not a psychic!"
    Professor Jones raises his hands, "We get that, ok? If you can't uncover anything then you can't uncover anything. But whenever I go to archeological dig sites, to get information about one thing sometimes I have to look at the big picture. Talk to the locals, check with the Police Department or the Library, search what remains of his belongings... Things like that might be able to give you a better idea of the bigger picture." He smiles reassuringly and Jessie nods. "I'm sure you'd do great if you just gave it a try!"

She looks down at the motor coach ticket with dread. She was only really skeptical about the whole situation at this point, doubting she could do anything but have an awkward conversation with this 'client' and leave with nothing, making him angry and dissatisfied.

But Deirdre's face becomes filled with dread when she sees the motor coach ticket. She stares at it...
    The other three look at each other with confused faces. "Um, Miss McCoy, is everything ok?"
    Professor Jones notes "I'm terribly sorry, Arnoldsberg doesn't have a train station, so driving there is really the only way to get there."
    Lois puts a hand on your shoulder. "I'm sure it'll be fine, I know the driver, she's a nice woman, really. I fix up her car all the time. The ride there will be the smoothest you've ever had."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Little did the others know how utterly suspicious Deirdre was of coach drives and their drivers at this point. Especially for a several hour drive... Deirdre was about to just get up and leave, apologizing, but Lois had some very hopeful information.

"You.. you know the driver? And you just fixed the car??" That also sounded just a bit unbelievable. Growing a little suspicious, Deirdre asks, "What's her name? And will she drive me back?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois nods, rather confused by Deirdre's line of questioning, but nevertheless answers. "I'm an engineering student, so it's a pretty decent way to earn money. As for the driver her name is Florence, Florence Bellview. She's a wonderful woman, dating (which the modern version apparently started being used in the 1920s) Mr. Blaine, I think it is."
    ----

If you would like, you may give me a Psychology roll.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    sure why not
    psychology: (1d100)[39]

Deirdre asks, "Is there any other information you have? Or.... is that it? Also, you said something about money. How much is he paying you?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-09-10 at 03:32 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It seems that there's a lot of pride behind what Lois is saying, that would be rather hard to imitate if this is all one big fabrication.

Professor Jones speaks up, "It's not much, ma'am it's simply that this club is not exactly... flourishing, no matter what passion there is amongst its members." He smiles at the two students. "Thomas was willing to offer a quite tidy sum of $10 (around $250 or so in modern money) if we were to just look into it." He nods, "I'm not saying at all that you'll have to give the money to us upon completion. In fact, you can really just give however much you want of the reward, I just thought it could help bolster our number."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre thought about it some more. $10 seemed somewhat reasonable. It probably also assumed they would uncover something. But by 'they', it really meant Deirdre, their newest and most clueless member.

She sighs and says, "Well, it really is a shame that none of you will be able to come... After all, I'm sure the more of us were there, the better chance we have at solving that mystery...

Her tone lightens to a smug grin. "BUT... I suppose it's only fair that if I do all the work, I get to keep the money." Her tone was fairly playful here, but in any case, she really could use a bit more money... Not like it was the main reason she was doing this, though.

"Alright... Well, I've nothing better to do this weekend.. so I'll do it!"

Despite a few reservations she had earlier, she felt pretty confident nothing insidious was going on here. That still did not stop her from going out and buying a new pair of shoes meant for running, and asking a friend or two if they wanted to accompany her.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The three club members cheer as she announces that, and strangely their faces don't even look dashed as she mentions the money. Rather confused by their response you're about to ask when Jessie laughs, "Don'tcha worry! We were going to spend the money on promotional materials to get new members, but hey, look we found one anyway, so I guess they're going to roughly the same place, right?" She then nods "Now go out, good luck, and may God be with you." The other two members smile as well as you soon depart, ready for adventure.

As you prepare to get ready you contact some of your friends, but it's rather strange (not like Emberhead strange, just weird coincidences) that all of them seem to have something going on this weekend. Unsure (considering what happened last time) you make sure to vet their claims, but in actuality everything seems to be alright! Nevertheless, the day soon arrives.

Arkham, 10:15 AM, October 1st, 1921

(Quick Recap Boxed Text:) You have been contacted by Thomas Kimball of Michigan. It seems his house has been burglarized and some of his uncle's favorite books have been stolen. The mystery also has the added wrinkle in that his uncle inexplicably disappeared without a trace nearly a year ago. Mr. Kimball would like you to find out who stole the books, return them if possible, and, if somehow these two events are related, discover the whereabouts of his uncle and whether he is still alive.

You board the coach, and you can't help but be slightly trepidatious considering that the last one you went on led to... well... you're not really sure exactly what happened. You are grateful, however, to notice several passengers have gotten on in addition to you. Florence does seem to be quite nice and she happens to make conversation along the way. Apparently, she is a bit of a self-appointed fashionista herself, and it's quite easy to make conversation about the newest trends. Anyway, it's time for a new journey.

Just Past Ossipee, 12:18 PM, October 1st, 1921

The coach crests over a hill with some slight difficulty, but eventually manage to crest it and make it through what appears to be the charred ruins of a town. You identify it to have most likely burned down in some kind of forest fire several decades earlier. It is at this moment when you realize exactly where you are. You're in Emberhead.
    However this doesn't make any sense. You remember being here a month ago, you remember the people, the buildings, and they were most certainly not this old. This matches up with what the books and maps told you but... to see it in person?
    However, you have little time to ponder this utterly confusing turn of events, when suddenly, you're gone. You've headed down the hill. The charred ruins of what must have at one point been Emberhead stand alone, fading off into the distance.

Arnoldsberg, 2:39 PM, October 1st, 1921

You exit the coach, thank the driver, and begin to look around. You've been dropped off on what you presume to be the main thoroughfare of the town, which, while most certainly not that large, is still respectable. You happen to notice an actual police department (you silently thank God), a real library (as opposed to one in the "village hall"), and even a newspaper, as a young boy eagerly runs up to you handing you a copy of the Arnoldsberg Advertiser for but a couple coins.
    You pull out the rest of the letter, as you eventually find yourself wandering the streets of Arnoldsberg until the rural (if it could be called that) elements fade away, and as you reach 218, Aylesbury St., all that's there is one lonely house. You see almost none other except this one for a couple hundred feet or so, as you notice the most likely reason: it's right next to the graveyard.
    As you knock on the door, you hear a voice from inside shout: "One moment please!"
    Eventually, a young man opens the door, he looks around almost as if he expected several people but then extends his hand warily from the doorstep. "Hello there, I'm, well, I'm Thomas Kimball. Are you a member of... The Society?" He lowers his voice, as if it was some deep dark secret that the two of you were discussing in a crowd.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre smiles warmly at Thomas, not deterred in the slightest that this place was right next to a graveyard. "Indeed!" she says, greeting his hand with her own. "Seems you're looking around for the others? Well, I wish I could tell you they were hiding waiting to surprise you. Unfortunately, Jesse, Lois, and Professor Jones had..." she sighs and continues, "prior engagement or obligations. So they talked their newest member, me, into helping you out. I'm Deirdre McCoy. It's a pleasure to meet you, Thomas."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thomas shifts slightly. "Well, uh, yes. It's a pleasure to meet you as well. I th-think that I asked for you to look into the theft, and if maybe you could shed any light at all on my uncle's disappearance." He then realizes that you're still standing outside on the porch. "Oh, come in, come in, I'm so sorry. The break-in just has me a bit flustered is all, and it's not like the police are going to pay any attention to some missing books. Can I get your bags?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre nods as the young man explains his intentions. Well, at least she already knew that much...

"Can I get your bags?"

She didn't have much, not nearly compared to her first attempt at traveling to Arkham, but she had her "purse" and another large shopping bag with some clothes in it. Suppose that would have to do as her "suitcase" for a while...

"Uh, of course!" she says, handing him the two articles. It was really underwhelming for bags, but no matter. The gesture was nice.

Looking around as she steps into the foyer, she comments, "Wow, I must say, this really is a nice home!" (I mean, it is, right? I can only assume it's a nice luxurious home. The only bad thing being the graveyard).

"So, Thomas! Did you, uh.. want to get started right away, or maybe give me a tour of your home first? Or maybe we could unwind and you can share your story over a cup of coffee or tea?"