New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Useless Blob's Paper Chase IC

Mary finishes her meal, and begins to get up and begin doing the dishes. Thomas then raises his hands up, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have suggested anything, and to be honest with you, I think everything shall be ok. You've done your best, and you've uncovered much about my uncle." He then gets up, "I think I should help out Mary, good night Dr. Grant, and thanks again for all that you've done."

He then gets up, puts his plate away, and assists his wife.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

Huh, that wasn't the reaction I was expecting. Then again, I am terribly socially incompetent.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So, what is Evan going to do?

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I've got one last shot at this, so I'll go back to the cemetery and stake it out. Who needs sleep anyway?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Please give me a Luck roll.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

This is going to hurt.
    (1d100)[65]

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Dr. Grant is waiting in the graveyard, staring at the tombstone, everything around him, the home, when suddenly he dozes. Just for a single moment, but a moment is enough. Right as he stirs he sees... something coming out of Douglas' study. The figure has leapt out of the window, carrying a stack of books, dashing off back into the graveyard.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

Time for the out-of-shape nerd to give chase!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Dr. Grant begins chasing the figure, whom he realizes is actually heading towards the gravestone you were staking out. However, despite the fact that it's carrying several books, it seems to be decently quick. It's already made it into the back part of the graveyard, and you're not fully sure if you're going to be able to catch up...
    ----

Are you just running as fast as you can? Are you doing anything else? Are you grabbing a knife (if you think you'd have one)? Are you pushing ahead with the intent to assault the figure? Are you calling out? What's going on exactly?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

Dr. Grant hasn't let his crappy old knife out of reach since the Emberhead incident, but he doesn't take it out just yet. He's hoping to see where the thief goes with the books first.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The figure noticing its being chased, rushes towards one tomb next to the gravestone which Douglas always read at. At this point you might be able to conjure up a burst of speed to try and stab the figure, call out something, or do nothing before the figure slips inside.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

I want to to try yelling. "Stop, thief! Stop and tell me why you're only stealing books!"

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The figure pauses for just a moment, turning back towards you as you notice a glint bouncing off of its round spectacles. However, it then turns away and presses on towards the mausoleum, struggling to pull open a partially submerged door, presumably leading down below the cemetery.
    ----

It is at this point where there's no way that you can actually catch up to the figure before they're gone, but again, you might be able to call out something... who could this thief be?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

Spectacles? Why would... "Kimball! You're Douglas Kimball, aren't you?!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Suddenly as the figure hears the full name, it stops for a brief moment. It then stops its attempts at opening the mausoleum door and heads back into the cemetary, as if it's expecting to be followed. As it eventually ends up sitting on a tombstone and pulls out one of the books, seemingly waiting for you. It is then when you realize, it's sitting on the same tombstone you were investigating earlier: the one Douglas Kimball sat on. As you approach, it comes fully into view.

As you then fully see it in its entirety, it sets down it's book and says simply: "Hello." It is at this moment that you are certain, this... creature, with its rubbery-skin, hoof-like feet, canine features, and terribly sharp claws, is (somehow) without a doubt, Douglas Kimball.
    ----

Please give me a Sanity roll.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

This is kind of a lame thing to lose sanity permanently over, but okay.
    (1d100)[70]

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This is not a permanent sanity loss, it's temporary. It can be recovered through a variety of means. A permanent sanity loss would be discovering some form of truth about the universe (i.e. increasing your Cthulhu Mythos skill). It's also more that a slight piece of your mind cracks, just a bit. Nevertheless, in a world without visual and special effects, insane makeup, and whatnot, it helps me understand it. After all, I think if you brought someone from the 1920s and sat them down in front of say an Avengers movie, they might think it all real and have a slight mind-break of their own.

That is sadly a failure, which means that Dr. Grant has lost 3 sanity, and because you failed the roll, I take an involuntary action for you.

----

Dr. Grant seizes up and lets out a sudden, ear-piercing scream as he sees the inhuman creature standing in front of him. This... creature is Douglas Kimball? The man who loved books? The uncle to someone whose house he's staying in, he had a family... how could it be...?

Eventually, Evan manages to calm himself down, while Douglas simply raises an eyebrow during his screams and mental exchange. He simply gives her a moment to gather herself and calm down, only to finish by plainly asking: "Are you done?"

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

"Yes. Yes I'm done now. Although I was expecting to find you alive, I didn't expect... this." Evan waves his hand lamely in Douglas' direction.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The thing that once was, or is Douglas Kimball, smiles a toothy smile, inside you see a row of horribly sharp teeth, and you cannot help but think of if a wolf's mouth was somehow transfused into a humans. The thought makes you nauseous. "Understandable, but have no fear. I am still me; although, speaking of which... who are you?"

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

"I'm Dr. Grant, amateur detective. Your nephew hired me to find out what happened to his- I mean your, stolen books. Although I guess they weren't stolen, were they?"

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The creature makes a rather surprised expression. "Why Thomas noticed that? I had hoped that he would not notice my 'intrusion' into my own dwelling." He then sets down his book and extends a rubbery claw. "But it is splendid to make your acquaintance Doctor Grant." He then thinks for a moment. "You know, I've read several scintillating tales of mystery and intrigue. Your chosen pursuit is indeed quite fascinating!" He then realizes that you mentioned amateur, and that you also discussed being a doctor. "Ah... but this is probably more of a hobby then... what might you be a doctor of?"

You cannot help but get the feeling that Douglas is just as socially inept and awkward as Doctor Grant, despite whatever voluminous vocabulary he might use.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Sensing a kindred spirit, Dr. Grant tells him "I'm a hematologist, or a blood doctor. You'd be surprised to know how many things your blood can tell you. One time... no, not the time for that. Now is the time for answers, the most pertinent being what exactly happened to you."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The creature nods and notes, "Why indeed, I think I have read a book or two on that subject. I believe it covered how certain diseases can be impacted based on the traits of one's..." it then pauses, blinks and chuckles, a deep guttural noise, "but you would know such things. I am sorry, I tend to get ahead of myself. But yes, answers."
    The creature that was at one point Douglas Kimball, but still might be, straightens its back and clears its throat. "I'm afraid, my good doctor that I was just too tired of my mundane existence among... well... all of you. The only thing which I desired was to be left alone and to read my books." It subsequently looks down at the pile of books which it "stole."
    "I wished for this, and yet no matter what would happen, everyone would be constantly making demands on me, sending me mail, bills, and whatnot." He then looks towards the mausoleum he was heading towards. "So I delved below, and now life is splendid. I need not for money, suits are not required for a dinner, I don't have to meet people, although being around the others is fine at mealtimes, and most importantly... I may read whenever I want." The creature smiles as it makes that last declaration, and you get a feeling that if it wanted to, it could most likely bite a chunk of your head off.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

Dr. Grant smiles back, somewhat unnerved by those teeth but trying not to show it. "I understand the temptation. Sometimes I just want to give up all my responsibilities and live in a library. I can't though. I have family who would miss me if I left. Whether you realized it or not, you did too. I won't ask you to come back, not if you don't want to. I just want you to tell your nephew that you're okay. And maybe return the books when you're done with them."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The creature turns its head and stares at you. "What would you have me do? Stroll up to him and break his already fragile mind? You yourself shrieked, and it seems quite apparent that while you're not used to such things as myself, you certainly do appear to have some experience with things that are... peculiar, but nevertheless..."

He turns towards the house, appearing to have almost a slight twinge of longing. "He cannot know, nothing can change my mind on this."

He then turns back towards you, "You know, I've just been weary. I've been... alive for more than half a century, and the only time I felt like I was living when I was reading. The mundane world which my nephew so dutifully lives in, was not intended for me."

He looks towards the tomb again, "I cannot visit this place anymore. This..." he holds up the books that he... "stole" from himself. "Was my final foray into my, no Thomas' home. It is not mine anymore. The others have said that we must move, too much commotion, too much fuss." Only to turn back towards you, "I am afraid I must now depart. There is much to see out there in the world below, and I think..." he chuckles as he begins to stand up and collect his books. "I believe that I shall author a novel; finally I feel that I have done something in this life worth writing about."

He then gets to his hooves "It was a pleasure speaking with you Doctor Grant, and although your devotion to humans, including my nephew is admirable. I'm afraid it is something that I was never able to muster." He slowly begins to walk off, before noting: "As much as you would like to, I beg of you, do not tell him that I am still alive. It is better if he thinks me dead and gone. If he is concerned about the books, simply say that there was a burglar who returned, but you scared him off, I doubt he'd notice the absence of these additional tomes." He shakes the books as evidence. "It is for the best, I assure you."

He then begins clopping off towards the tomb.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground

Dr. Grant watches the beast that was once a sad, strange little man walk away. He stands there deep in thought. What will he tell Thomas? How exactly did Douglas turn into that? What should he eat for dinner tomorrow? Dr. Grant leaves, still pondering.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As you begin to head back you take one last glance towards Douglas, or at least, what was Douglas, if it is not him anymore. He clops over towards the tomb, laden down by his books, and then creeps inside the mausoleum. A few brief moments of silence pass until you hear a heavy THOOM, the sound of rock falling on rock, from within. Neither Douglas, nor what he called "The Others" shall be returning anytime soon.

With an utterly confused mind, you mull over the events that just occurred as you walk towards the Kimball residence. A man, an absolutely normal man, has become a... creature, that lives below the surface of the earth and looks like... that? This alone should be impossible, but the facts are plain to see, and a conclusion must be made. There are other creatures on this earth... you are not alone.
    ----

With the truth of the situation, albeit, the unpleasant truth, Evan loses an additional 2 sanity points. However, this truth also gives you more insight to the world at large (as instead of reading an ancient grimoire about strange mythos creatures you’ve basically talked with one), granting you 3 points in the Cthulhu Mythos skill (this also decreases your feasible maximum sanity down to 92).
    ----

You arrive at the home, weary from the tumultuous experience your mind has just undergone... will you ever be the same again?

Arnoldsberg, 8:29 AM, October 3rd, 1921

You've awoken from your deep slumber, the words of Douglas, or whatever it was, playing in your head like a radio jingle. As you stumble into the dining room, you see Mary and Thomas look up with your arrival. Mary looks at your rather bedraggled condition and notes, "I see someone didn't sleep well last night." Meanwhile, Thomas looks at you.

His eyes implore you, with every ounce of his being, hoping that you've uncovered something, something that will put his mind at rest, to give him hope that his life is not as crazy as he thinks. Of course, will the truth give him that solace? Your reverie is abruptly halted as Thomas asks, simply, and quite plainly: "Well, did you find anything?"

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Evan Grant, who didn't feel particularly doctor-y at the moment, yawned. It was time to feed Thomas the unpleasant mix of half-truths he had spent the night mulling over. "I did. I came face-to-face with your burglar last night. Believe it or not, it was your uncle. I managed to talk to him, and he told me that he had simply grown tired of the obligations and responsibilities of normal life, and so had run away with some friends he had made. He just came back for some of his favorite books, not thinking you would even notice, and then he'd leave for good." He paused to take a breath and gather his thoughts and continued.

"I'm sorry I couldn't get him to tell you this himself, but for what it's worth, he seemed perfectly healthy and happy. Mentioned writing a novel himself. Oh, yes, he also told me to tell you that the house and everything in it is yours now." Grant stopped there and waited for Thomas' reply a bit anxiously. All he had to go on was his word, and that word had a few rather large omissions in it. What would he say?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thomas' face becomes one of confusion. He looks towards his wife, "He didn't... why?" He then looks back towards you. "We haven't heard from him in a year? What?" He then looks down, utterly confused with himself. Mary then grabs his shoulders.
    "It's ok, I mean, it's a miracle, right? He's ok?" She looks at you, also confused, but more concerned for her husband's well-being. "Maybe we'll find his book, but in the meantime, here, just... " She holds his hand. And lifts his head back to face you. The man looks bewildered, confused, and a variety of other fitting adjectives to describe befuddlement.
    "Yes, my wife is right... I guess, I guess I just... I don't know why he would vanish like that without a trace? It makes no sense, right?" He then looks around at both you and Mary, "And if he was stealing from me, why not just ask? I don't... I don't..."
    Mary then holds Thomas' hand, only to stand up and walk towards you. "Thank you for all of your assistance. I guess it's a good thing that we won't be facing any more robberies..." She then says the next part towards her husband, "right Thomas?" The man solemnly nods. "I'll deal with him. You should go... you have a coach to catch." She takes some crumpled-up dollar bills from her pocket and hands them to you, as you look towards the couple, and then depart. You've been paid for your job (plus enough for the coach ride), but what will become of Thomas and Mary? Only time will tell...

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

Well that was awkward.