New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by aramis604 View Post
    I swear panel 4 is an ARK reference...
    Possibly, but more likely a reference to Troll Slayers in Warhammer. There's a link further back in the thread. Or just google "Dwarven Slayers Warhammer".

The long and short of it is that these dwarves have violated a taboo and are thus dishonored (at least in Warhammer, not sure about OotS-verse), and seek to redeem themselves by Death in Heroic Combat Against the Enemies of the DwarvesTM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenstep View Post
    I mean, sure, but at least stoneshape something to hold up the cloth. Just looking at them holding that cloth is making my arms tired.
    You should cast Bull's Strength on yourself like they can, then.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Possibly, but more likely a reference to Troll Slayers in Warhammer. There's a link further back in the thread. Or just google "Dwarven Slayers Warhammer".

The long and short of it is that these dwarves have violated a taboo and are thus dishonored (at least in Warhammer, not sure about OotS-verse), and seek to redeem themselves by Death in Heroic Combat Against the Enemies of the DwarvesTM.
    The hairstyle of the beaver-rider is a dead give-away.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Even given the obvious boredom, I can't believe three people were stupid enough to play cards with Loki's High Priest.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Even given the obvious boredom, I can't believe three people were stupid enough to play cards with Loki's High Priest.
    If they're not playing with money, there won't be anything coming from it.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Wow, it's been less than an hour since the new comic came up.

Sure hope they know enough about food to be able to make different things pop up, otherwise it's going to get old faaaaaast.
    Create food and water always makes bland gruel no matter how much you know about food. Hero's Feast sounds like it'd be pretty palatable from the spell description though.

7. - Top - End - #127

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    The High Priestess of Skadi's Hunt of Everyone Who Saw Her Butt.
    The Church of Mani's Holy Inquisition of the Ganked Snack Foods.

8. - Top - End - #128

GreataxeFighterGirl

Man, the gods must be completely bemused by what the clerics prayed for.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by enh View Post
    Most inventive bathing technique ever.
    I'm laughing uncontrollably at the priest tied up upside down with a blindfold repeating "create water"...
    But great idea using the blind priest to hold the curtain.
    Last edited by ratfox; 2019-09-09 at 04:09 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    The Church of Mani's Holy Inquisition of the Ganked Snack Foods.
    The Njordian Flood of Whoever's Stupid Idea It Was To Hang My High Priestess Like A Piñata
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

11. - Top - End - #131
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Any other cleric spells beside stone shape to make a bathtub? Stone Shape might need another step like wall of stone because of their location. (Possible side effects of the spells cast by the creed of stone, or maybe some of the priests don't want to wreck the place even more)

Also any thoughts about the HPoO referring to the other High Priests as their respective Deities?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I realize it’s already been said, but I thought it was clever to have Hoder’s (blind) priest be one of the three shower-makers, and the only one that doesn’t need to wear a blindfold.

What I didn’t see mentioned is that, even though all three of the shower clerics are blindfolded, Skaadi’s high priestess STILL seems to have insisted on three women for the shower makers. I would dismiss it as chance, but there’s another woman walking up to request the next shower, and all 5 involved being female strongly suggests this is the “ladies’ room.”

Which means there is ANOTHER of these contraptions offscreen for the gentlemen! Who do you think got tied to the rope for that one?
    Last edited by NobleCuriosity; 2019-09-09 at 04:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Njordian Flood of Whoever's Stupid Idea It Was To Hang My High Priestess Like A Piñata
    Which fit in nicely with the Interdenominational Cleansing of Fenrir's High Priest Who Really Shouldn't Have to be Told to Wash at His Age.

14. - Top - End - #134

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    Also any thoughts about the HPoO referring to the other High Priests as their respective Deities?
    It's possible High Priests don't always know each others given names; referring to them by abbreviated title is easier, and saying 'Freya' or 'Sunna' is quicker than High Priest/ess of X.
    Also realised we had a cut back to Godsmoot but no sign of Throwing Axe Kilt Guy :( I miss him. Kilted Treeslayer just isn't the same...

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NobleCuriosity View Post
    Which means there is ANOTHER of these contraptions offscreen for the gentlemen! Who do you think got tied to the rope for that one?
    Thrym's guy.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

Okay, so they have means of eating, clean water, and basic hygiene, but what about toilet accommodations? Only spell I can think of would be plane shift to some filthy level of the abyss.

17. - Top - End - #137

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    LOL

(Let's remember, however, that "moving water" is the entire principle of a shower, but incidental to a bath :p )
    Oh, the shower's a concern. But it's just a cantrip. :)

Tubs? Stone Shaped tubs have too much coffin imagery. One filled with moving water would be a little too triggery for a creature that can recall one death within the last 24 hours.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VaarsuviusFan#1 View Post
    Okay, so they have means of eating, clean water, and basic hygiene, but what about toilet accommodations? Only spell I can think of would be plane shift to some filthy level of the abyss.
    And now we know why Lolth is so angry all the time.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Stone Shape a bucket and empty it through the gallery's windows.
    Buckets, the solution to all your basic hygiene issues
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Interesting indeed that the vampire with curly hair escaped. Hopefully that won't come back to bite anyone, but I suppose it could make an interesting side story for the adventures of Clan Thundershield. Also, have Hilgya and Kudzu also moved on out of the story?

I love everything about the Treeslayers (and props to the people who theorized you need an entirely new table). Also, I feel bad for the priests and bodyguards of the moot. Hopefully they'll be released soon enough, but I'm guessing this means we will indeed be moving into the next book quite soon.

Peelee’s Lotsey

21. - Top - End - #141
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Interesting indeed that the vampire with curly hair escaped. Hopefully that won't come back to bite anyone
    Pun intended?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting indeed that the vampire with curly hair escaped. Hopefully that won't come back to bite anyone
    She.
    but I suppose it could make an interesting side story for the adventures of Clan Thundershield. Also, have Hilgya and Kudzu also moved on out of the story?
    Hilgya was last seen looking at the escaping vampire, so it's possible the two will interact in some way.
    Still thinking that one vampire will escape and plague the Dwarven Lands with a long term vampiric infestation.
    We haven't had any resolution on Kudzu's situation yet. No way Hilgya is gone right now. Now, that the immediate danger has passed settling that would be Durkon's first priority and, I supsect, the subject of the upcoming strip(s).
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-09 at 05:36 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The HPoF is kinda cute with his „grr, I'm such a vile monster I only eat helpless people, grr!” thing.

Almost like he's saying that stuff to fulfil his evil quota.

I mean yeah, he's probably serious, but unless he packed lunch he will have to compromise.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

24. - Top - End - #144

Conceivably casting purify water on it would turn all human waste into pure clean drinkable water. Not that I'd be lining up for a glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Hilgya was last seen looking at the escaping vampire, so it's possible the two will interact in some way.
    That happened a while ago so it'd have to be a flashback now.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-09-09 at 05:54 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
    I think children would stop giving XP well before that point.
    Hmm, The Giant gave us stats for babies (which I think also fairly apply to children), but didn't (purposefully I'd imagine) give any XP-related info:
    Here are the stats you actually need for a hatchling dragon:

Movement: Gets away if you let it.
    Saving Throws: Miraculously survives all accidents.
    Armor Class: You hit.
    Hit Points: Congratulations, Baby-Killer.
    Special Qualities: I hope you can live with yourself.

Coincidentally, these are the same exact stats for every other species of baby.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...3&postcount=28
    Last edited by facw; 2019-09-09 at 06:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by facw View Post
    Hmm, The Giant gave us stats for babies (which I think also fairly apply to children), but didn't (purposefully I'd image) give any XP-related info:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...3&postcount=28
    Babies don't wander into the woods. The High Priest of Fenrir probably goes for kindergartners and older.
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NobleCuriosity View Post
    What I didn’t see mentioned is that, even though all three of the shower clerics are blindfolded, Skaadi’s high priestess STILL seems to have insisted on three women for the shower makers. I would dismiss it as chance, but there’s another woman walking up to request the next shower, and all 5 involved being female strongly suggests this is the “ladies’ room.”

Given that the high priests of the demigods are mysteriously absent from this strip, that leaves only the high priests of Tyr, Heimdall, and Vafthrudnir unaccounted for. Which isn't enough men to create the shower and have someone inside of it. Thus there must be some nameless bodyguards involved, and unfortunately rope duty probably falls to one of them.
    (This signature intentionally left blank)

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Babies don't wander into the woods. The High Priest of Fenrir probably goes for kindergartners and older.
    Why would those stats apply any differently to kindergarteners and older? He has a problem with starting the (effectively) teenaged Black Dragons, so no XP would apply to all children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
    Given that the high priests of the demigods are mysteriously absent from this strip, that leaves only the high priests of Tyr, Heimdall, and Vafthrudnir unaccounted for. Which isn't enough men to create the shower and have someone inside of it. Thus there must be some nameless bodyguards involved, and unfortunately rope duty probably falls to one of them.
    Hermod's priestess is holding the shower, and if Veldrina is still here so is Southern Pantheon representative, so for the males we'd also have Thrym, Dvalin, Bragi and Surtur, and then non-nameless Wrecan, Dvalin is the shortest male not in frame so I guess we can put him on rope duty.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

...huh, I was right.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Hermod's priestess is holding the shower, and if Veldrina is still here so is Southern Pantheon representative, so for the males we'd also have Thrym, Dvalin, Bragi and Surtur, and then non-nameless Wrecan, Dvalin is the shortest male not in frame so I guess we can put him on rope duty.
    Fitting. "Your patron is the one putting us through all this mess, so you're stuck cleaning up after it!"
    (This signature intentionally left blank)