New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Default Re: Your favorite dice set: mine is pure obsidian

Have two sets of Haxtec metal dice I got on Amazon. Nice sharp corners, well weighted. d4 could be an actual caltrop.

They're easy to read, the colours a good. The one I have are copper and teal (looks like a polished copper and a oxidized copper recess) and silver and tiffany blue (they're classy).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

I have a dream to have a full set of entirely useless dice without numbers. So far I have a few d6's, one with different weather symbols, one with different colours, and one from a star wars edge of the empire set. But I still need all the other shapes.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

I collect dice, I've got lots of odd ones. I guess my favorite would be 6d6 made from Vesuvian Basalt I got in a Kickstarter.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
    I have a dream to have a full set of entirely useless dice without numbers. So far I have a few d6's, one with different weather symbols, one with different colours, and one from a star wars edge of the empire set. But I still need all the other shapes.
    There might be some, but most dice that aren't numbered tend towards coming from board games, which almost universally use six-sided dice.

That being said:

https://www.thediceshoponline.com/di...logos?view=ALL
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2019-09-29 at 10:27 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    There might be some, but most dice that aren't numbered tend towards coming from board games, which almost universally use six-sided dice.

That being said:

https://www.thediceshoponline.com/di...logos?view=ALL
    Man, that ten commandment one would've been perfect if they weren't numbered.

"Roll a d100"
    *rolling*
    "Honor the Sabbath and do not covet?"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    If I forget my dicebag (which is a trendy plastic bag from the local supermarket)
    Assuming you are of age to buy one, Crown Royal makes excellent Dice Bags.

And they come with a complimentary bottle of whiskey!

Quote Originally Posted by The Library DM View Post
    I won’t use metal dice because I find them noisy and they’ll damage a wood table. (Yeah, they look cool, but don’t bring ‘em to my house, please!)
    I used to play on a GLASS topped table, and had to ban metal dice in my home.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Library DM View Post
    I’ve been tempted to purchase the “precision” dice from Gamescience (these guys take dice seriously), but in all honesty, I think they’re probably over-kill when it comes to randomization.

Don’t trust dice-roller apps. Ever since my old programming days, I’m suspicious of “randomization” sequences in computer apps! Besides, I like the feel of a good set of dice rattling in my hands.
    So...you're familiar with GameScience dice, and why they're precise, which means youa re likewise familiar with why most Chessex and other manufactuerer dice are not. And yet, you use them while eschewing a dice-roller app?

It'd be easier to program a dice roller app that genuinely gave a 1/20 chance of each number showing up than it would be to make a "skewed" one. I would think it would be MORE trustworthy.

For my dice, I have 2 dice bags, one that's for my use, and one that are "loaner" dice. My personal ones include some matched sets (that usually roll decently), as well as one plain white d20 with red numbers that -as a matter of ethics- I refuse to use as a DM, and only use as a player. It's bog-standard plastic, which means it probably has some internal air bubbles or something that make it imbalanced, but it rolls REALLY well fairly consistently.

A friend of mine got me a set that were made of actual Malachite. but they're more of a conversation piece, as Malachite is kind of brittle, and I don't want them chipped. My wife responded to this by buying a set of Chessex dice with their "Malachite" color scheme. Those I use.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    It'd be easier to program a dice roller app that genuinely gave a 1/20 chance of each number showing up than it would be to make a "skewed" one. I would think it would be MORE trustworthy.
    Sadly, some computer generated random numbers are not ideal.

There was a bug in the hardware of the original Pentioum, it probably wasn't bad enough to make much of a difference in most games, but it was certainly imperfect.

There are many quick "algorithms" for "random numbers" that turn out not to be perfectly random.

Then again, some people cheat, and there are almost certainly apps that are made to sell to cheats (I don't know of any particular ones, but I'd be utterly amazed if there aren't a couple of dozen).
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    Assuming you are of age to buy one, Crown Royal makes excellent Dice Bags.

And they come with a complimentary bottle of whiskey!
    Ha! I actually collect whisky, but I've never bought one of the ones that invest all that much in the packaging. I mostly drink Islay, and I think they'd consider a pretty little bag with gold ribbons to be unmanly! =D