New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Better Wizard Subclass for Artificer

So, I was playing around with a character concept I might be changing to for a campaign starting today, in like 4 hours from the time of this posting.

The DM is allowing UA, but no homebrew, roll for stats.

My rolls are 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 17

I was thinking a Envoy Warforged Artificer, multiclass either Nature cleric for heavy armor, a skill, and 1 druid spell, or forge cleric for much the same and +1 weapon or armor, currently leaning towards Nature, which would allow my warforged to lower dex and still get amazing AC.

AND I was thinking of multiclassing to 2 wizard, as it would get find familiar, shield, a large amount of rituals(so does cleric), and some other options, freeing up artificer choices(like detect magic can be used as a ritual from cleric, then I can use the artificer slot for something else.)

However, I am undecided as to what subclass to pick for my wizard levels:

War mage: Int to initiative and endless shield and save bonuses are nice. Solid choice.

Lore master: Such versatility with the ability to change between 1 of 8 elemental types. Would work well with most or many of the artificer spells, including arcane weapon. Oh, and expertise in knowledge skills and can use Int INSTEAD of dex for initiative. It is like the mix between warmage and invention.

Invention: Arcanomech armor is useless for a warforged, but the reckless casting looks fun and scales with spell slots available and since artificers use int, a lot of synergy.

Evocation: sculpt spell would be nice.

Other? Divination is good, conjuration seems pretty nice, some others.
    Spoiler: I am the
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Better Wizard Subclass for Artificer

No need for heavy armor. Composite plating will be better for you. You're AC with a shield will start at 19 and go up with your proficiency bonus.

I'd start with 18 INT, 17 CON, 16 DEX, 14 WIS, 11 STR, 10 CHA. Switch INT and DEX if you plan to attack more than cast spells. If so, skip composite plating and stick with dark wood core. Same starting AC but one higher once DEX gets to 20.

Any Wizard subclass is fine but if your DM allows Lore I'd take that. It seems to fit well thematically with an artificer too.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    No need for heavy armor. Composite plating will be better for you. You're AC with a shield will start at 19 and go up with your proficiency bonus.

I'd start with 18 INT, 17 CON, 16 DEX, 14 WIS, 11 STR, 10 CHA. Switch INT and DEX if you plan to attack more than cast spells. If so, skip composite plating and stick with dark wood core. Same starting AC but one higher once DEX gets to 20.

Any Wizard subclass is fine but if your DM allows Lore I'd take that. It seems to fit well thematically with an artificer too.
    Well, I wanted the nature cleric for more cantrips, a few first level cleric spells, and the druid cantrip.(4 cantrips, 5-6 1st level spells) and heavy armor, an increase of 1 over medium without the feat investment(same with a feat). I guess I could switch it to arcana cleric, I get 2 wizard cantrips instead that way, one of which I think could be shape water, and I could still get nature via background(which is currently arcana) likely would fit better thematically.

The Proficiency in the Nature skill, the Arcana Skill, and the History skill also mesh well with lore master, but I thought invention wizard would be most fun. That said, Lore master would have the most control of their own situation, unfortunately, unlike invention wizard, lore master doesnt work to change cantrip elements.

Cantrips I have been considering, and the reason for nature cleric, and artillerist artificer are:

Artificer: Mage hand, Produce Flame, Prestidigitation?(by the time I get this it is almost moot because of the 10 artificer level)?, ?. The Artillerist level 6 feature makes utility cantrips known more valuable to me, also I think it would be more fun.

Cleric: Guidance, Mending, Shape Water, Spare the Dying.

Wizard: Control Flames, Mold Earth, Minor Illusion.

I chose these because other than guidance, mending, and spare the dying, the otehr spells aren't on the artificer spell list. In fact, the only ones on the Cleric list that aren't on the Artificer list are attack spells which would use wisdom, and thaumaturgy.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

You could always go Artificer Wizard

(it's fairly decent; at second level you can turn spell slots into potions and scrolls, and at sixth you can use them to provide long-term enchantments to weapons and armor)
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    You could always go Artificer Wizard

(it's fairly decent; at second level you can turn spell slots into potions and scrolls, and at sixth you can use them to provide long-term enchantments to weapons and armor)
    I got the Mizzrium Apparatus as a starting item. and took Lore Wizard. Best of both worlds, or better, because I have 2 levels of wizard and get the potential for the entire spell list level 1-6
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Keep in mind with multiple multiclasses you often lose out on power. You have have a boatload of cantrips but other casters will be tossing fireballs

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Verble View Post
    Keep in mind with multiple multiclasses you often lose out on power. You have have a boatload of cantrips but other casters will be tossing fireballs
    Yes. Well, Artificers are half casters, so they would be losing out on power anyways. Also, as I mentioned, a Mizzium Apparatus.

See for more details on it:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Ruling-please
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Khrysaes View Post
    Yes. Well, Artificers are half casters, so they would be losing out on power anyways. Also, as I mentioned, a Mizzium Apparatus.
    Wow, that's pretty wild. Clever thinking. Seems to work by the RAW. Extreme versatility.

As a DM I probably would disallow non-arcane spells, or at least require a religion/nature check for those.

If this does get allowed just please keep good notes on spells. Don't wanna hold things up flipping through books all game long.

Any ideas how you plan to play this character? I wonder how a warforged with these abilities would look at magic.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Verble View Post
    Wow, that's pretty wild. Clever thinking. Seems to work by the RAW. Extreme versatility.

As a DM I probably would disallow non-arcane spells, or at least require a religion/nature check for those.

If this does get allowed just please keep good notes on spells. Don't wanna hold things up flipping through books all game long.

Any ideas how you plan to play this character? I wonder how a warforged with these abilities would look at magic.
    I am looking at it as a scientist. My character is from Ravnica, and a researcher of the Izzet League. He is accompanying his supervisor (another PC) at the Laboratory of Orientation from Ravnica to another plane(prime material plane for this explanation) to study interplanar travel as this is our second trip, and the first one was an accident.

In this setting planar travel is much more difficult.

Personality wise I play him as an autistic scientist. So myself as I am both on the autistic spectrum and a scientist. I have little filter, and am analytical and critical of everything while also expressing curiosity in everything, not always for the longest period of time.

I havent decided how I will play him mechanically, and which subclass I end up picking for the artificer will tie into the role I want him to fill in the party, and I will likely ask the part first.
    Show