New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1180 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    In fairness, it's possible that the phrase "kudzu plot" has metastasized into the broader culture's vocabulary.* Kinda like how I think the Giant once speculated that he went with "lampshade hanging" rather than "signals from Fred" because of a vague sense that it was the better-known term, due in no small part to TV Tropes.

*(Or not, I was quite surprised at someone being confused and surprised at the use of "Your Mileage May Vary" in any context other than as the fine print in an ad for a car.)
    True, though I would also contest that OotS fits the stated defition of "Kudzu plot," especially in regards to Hilgya's reappearance. It was a surprise, but a pretty straightforward one.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-22 at 11:43 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #422
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    True, though I would also contest that OotS fits the stated defition of "Kudzu plot," especially in regards to Hilhya's reappearance. It was a surprise, but a pretty straightforward one.
    If anything, it was working to resolve a dangling plot thread- "what about Hilgya?" was a question Haley herself asked in-comic, so Rich was clearly intending for Hilgya to still be A Thing in the back of our heads.

3. - Top - End - #423

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    TV Trope will ruin your life.
    See, I don't understand that. It's just a wiki that's ridiculously over-saturated with links (IMO in a transparently vainglorious manner) in an attempt to classify literally every part of a work as either a trip or inversion of a trope. It's over-analytical and patently self-congratulatory.

That said, i realize I'm in the minority here, and if you like it, go you, that's awesome. I just wanted to throw out a contesting opinion.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Orc in the Playground

See, I don't understand that. It's just a wiki that's ridiculously over-saturated with links (IMO in a transparently vainglorious manner) in an attempt to classify literally every part of a work as either a trip or inversion of a trope. It's over-analytical and patently self-congratulatory.

That said, i realize I'm in the minority here, and if you like it, go you, that's awesome. I just wanted to throw out a contesting opinion.
    I'm with you here, yeah. I'd argue that there's something fundamentally pretty good at the core of TV Tropes, being "we think it's alright to deeply analyze any given work, even if it isn't so-called high art." And ideally, the only problems with TV Tropes would be the problems inherent to any large-scale amateur scholarship.

But, well, TV Tropes has also probably played a pretty big role in the existence of that CinemaSins jackass and thousands of people like him, so I've kinda soured on the whole thing.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

It's over-analytical and patently self-congratulatory.
    It's not a bug, it's a feature.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2019-09-22 at 12:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cerlis View Post
    enough to kill for him.
    That does not appear to be a high bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerlis View Post
    if anything he seems to be the only thing she cares about other than herself.
    That's what we've seen so far, no question. But Cluster-B types -- and I think that what we've seen of Hilgya is consistent with that -- can flip on a dime from "you're the only person I care about" / "you and me against the world" to "you're the one who's holding me back". I don't think it's very likely at this point; Cluster B parents tend to be more about moulding a child to be codependent. But having just seen Dwarven family, which she hates, in action, I could see her wanting to break any such ties.

Doylistically, it would be tidier for Durkon's son to be left safely in Sigdi's care, with Hilgya having buggered off out of the story, than for Kudzu to have disappeared in the care of an extremely volatile and self-centred parent.

At any rate, we should know soon enough. At least this is a question that won't be left hanging for hours of story time / years of real time.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    That's what we've seen so far, no question. But Cluster-B types -- and I think that what we've seen of Hilgya is consistent with that -- can flip on a dime from "you're the only person I care about" / "you and me against the world" to "you're the one who's holding me back". I don't think it's very likely at this point; Cluster B parents tend to be more about moulding a child to be codependent. But having just seen Dwarven family, which she hates, in action, I could see her wanting to break any such ties.
    I would just like to note for the record that, having a personality disorder myself-- a B, no less-- it never fails to rub me the wrong way when people use them as an explanation of an obviously evil character. Regardless of whether or not it seems accurate.
    (This signature intentionally left blank)

8. - Top - End - #428
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    You jest but Belkar is due to die according to the oracle
    What exactly was that Belkar prophesy again? Never drawing another breath on this planet does not mean death, not if there are other planes with planets.

9. - Top - End - #429

Quote Originally Posted by rman View Post
    What exactly was that Belkar prophesy again? Never drawing another breath on this planet does not mean death, not if there are other planes with planets.
    No, its never draw another breath, and is not long for this world, not connected (also has no need to fund for retirement or will never eat a birthday cake).
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

10. - Top - End - #430
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The exact wording was, "Belkar will draw his last breath—ever—before the end of the year." Not a whole lot of wiggle room. And just before the Order left for the Western Continent, Roy indicated there's only 7 weeks left before the end of the year. The only wiggle room on that end is whether Roy knew which calendar the Oracle was marking "the end of the year" by.

11. - Top - End - #431

There were several. He us also not long for this world, should savor his next birthday cake, and shouldn't bother finding his IRA.

Collectively, I have yet to hear any theory that satisfies all theories without Belkar's death.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-22 at 02:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #432

There were several. He us also not long for this air d, should savor his next birthday cake, and shouldn't bother finding his IRA.

Collect8vely,i have yet to hear any theory that satisfies all theories without Belkar's death.
    He's turned into a lich, before traveling to Xykon's astral fortress
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

13. - Top - End - #433

He's turned into a lich, before traveling to Xykon's astral fortress
    Could still make use of an IRA. Arguably even more so, being unable to die from old age.

14. - Top - End - #434

True, though I would also contest that OotS fits the stated defition of "Kudzu plot," especially in regards to Hilgya's reappearance. It was a surprise, but a pretty straightforward one.

Wow! I had no idea there was trope called "Kudzu plot". Certainly OOTS has a large number of plot threads. But when I last checked they pale into insignificance compared to Erfworld. (And I have not checked recently because I was so sick of it.)
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

15. - Top - End - #435

Flumph

I could maybe see Belkar getting lost forever on the Astral plane as fulfillment of the prophecy (assuming there is no need to eat or breathe there), but that is pretty much the same as being dead. Becoming undead is a common suggestion but that leaves the "not long for this world" clause unresolved.

16. - Top - End - #436

Could still make use of an IRA. Arguably even more so, being unable to die from old age.
    ... And forms a small nation there that bans IRA's.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #437

SolithKnightGuy

... And forms a small nation there that bans IRA's.
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-22 at 04:19 PM. Reason: scrubbing away
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Not if the world gets also destroyed by the Snarl. Then the institution holding his IRA will be destroyed too, and he will be unable to recover the money. Therefore, Belkar shoudn't bother funding his IRA, as any money invested there will be lost.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

To be subjective, I've never heard of Kudzu plot being used outside of a TV Tropes reference, so I'm not sure I would say it has reached a broader population than TV Tropes readers.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

20. - Top - End - #440

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Not if the world gets also destroyed by the Snarl. Then the institution holding his IRA will be destroyed too, and he will be unable to recover the money. Therefore, Belkar shoudn't bother funding his IRA, as any money invested there will be lost.
    True, but I'm going to go out on a limb and believe that the Oracle wasn't offering sound financial planning advice to Belks.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

True, but I'm going to go out on a limb and believe that the Oracle wasn't offering sound financial planning advice to Belks.
    Hey, maybe they patch things up in a few years and the Oracle just needs to act like they are sworn enemies until then.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

22. - Top - End - #442

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Hey, maybe they patch things up in a few years and the Oracle just needs to act like they are sworn enemies until then.
    You mean before the current year's end, right?

23. - Top - End - #443

Quote Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
    I would just like to note for the record that, having a personality disorder myself-- a B, no less-- it never fails to rub me the wrong way when people use them as an explanation of an obviously evil character. Regardless of whether or not it seems accurate.
    I apologize for having given offense; that was not my intention.

I, and a couple of people close to me, have been burned pretty badly by the sudden flip from "you're my closest, dearest love" to "I hate you, get out of my life, you're to blame for all of my problems". Accompanied by voluminous falsehoods told to anyone who would listen, though no doubt the person in question believed what they were saying. That's why I take Hilgya's description of her family background with a salt lick: the pattern is familiar to me. Nevertheless, I am not qualified to diagnose, in real life nor in the OotSverse.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

You mean before the current year's end, right?
    Eh, if he becomes a lich to travel to another plane to found a small IRA-less nation, it's all worth it!
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-09-22 at 05:01 PM.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Unless the Oracle knew Belkar would go against it, if offered.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

26. - Top - End - #446

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Unless the Oracle knew Belkar would go against it, if offered.
    But in any event, Belkar would forget it as soon as he left, so it's useless as an honest suggestion.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

But in any event, Belkar would forget it as soon as he left, so it's useless as an honest suggestion.
    Unless he knew Roy would bypass the memory charm and later tell Belkar.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

But how would he know that Roy would even pop in to be Dismissed? It'd be almost like he would have to see the- Ohhhhhhh

-Squire Doodad

29. - Top - End - #449

But he didn't give the financial advise during that visit. I bet he's not even beholden to fiduciary duty!

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    But how would he know that Roy would even pop in to be Dismissed? It'd be almost like he would have to see the- Ohhhhhhh
    Yeah, nearly any theory will conform to the "character that sees the future sees the future, and so took action in the present to cause arbitrary effect of my choosing that we haven't seen yet" model; making such model worthless for serious predictions...but being deprived of birthday cake is serious business, so it's close enough for me to construe as worth talking about.

But he didn't give the financial advise during that visit. I bet he's not even beholden to fiduciary duty!
    ...are you suggesting the Oracle and Celia are both Trigak?