New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

Oh, I don't find it too surprising from our friend Lois, Felix says with a grin.
    Last edited by ACExtravaganza; 2019-10-04 at 10:48 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ACExtravaganza View Post
    I told you you would enjoy it!
    I actually edited the previous post, so you may want to check that. I wanted to add in a bit more of a group dynamic, after all, there are four NPCs in this room. They're people too !

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The whole group laughs even more at Felix's statement, but Professor Jones then holds up a hand to quiet everyone. "Everybody, listen up. I have important news! We've actually been hired, no more simple solo expeditions for our group, eh?" He gives a beaming smile. "A landlord, named Mr. Steven Knott, has recently purchased a new home down in Boston. However, he got the house on the cheap, only to realize that he's been unable to sell it or rent it out, you see..." He pauses for dramatic effect, "Rumor has it the house is haunted!"
    Everyone gives a slight gasp, even professor Avebury makes a quiet "Oh my indeed..."
    The professor holds up his hands, "Now, Mr. Knott thinks that this is all just some hogwash after the previous tenants were involved in a tragedy, vagrants and whatnot putting a bad name, but nonetheless he wants the house's name cleared, so he's put us up to the task! Now, my hope is that we can gather a group of us, head down for a while, maybe during the week-long semester break, and see what turns up."
    Immediately the two students buzz excitedly at the prospect of investigating an actual haunted house ("Can ya' imagine investigatin' a haunted house?" and "My lord, what a find professor, I can't help but wonder what secrets lie in that house."). Meanwhile, Professor Avebury, while not as eager as the other two does look somewhat surprised, after all, he just joined this club a week ago and they're already putting him up to multiple excursions? Crazy.
    ----

How do the both of you react?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Dr. Grant is somewhat unenthused. The prospect of spending a vacation week looking around an empty house did not sound fun. Still, maybe it wouldn't take all week. There's probably things to do in Boston, too. Hmmm...

"How much are they paying?" If he's going to work on a week off, it might as well make a buck.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Professor Jones nods at Evan's question, "Well Doctor Grant, as a matter of fact, Mr. Knott was willing to provide a neat sum of nearly twenty dollars each day we investigate, along with a fine bonus of one-hundred should we give the home a clean bill of health." He smiles, "This should go well towards funding more archeological expeditions, too many ancient artifacts are in the hands of those who don't understand them, I say."
    Professor Jones shakes his head and chuckles, "Sorry, got a bit ahead of myself there, but anyway, I figure we'll send a couple of people on the train, they can relax over the weekend, see some of Boston, and then maybe spend a little bit of time investigating the history of the house, exploring the whole thing entirely, clearing out any vagrants and whatnot, and hopefully there'll be some extra time to enjoy the sights of our state's capital once everything is through!"
    He nods, hoping that said description is enough to satisfy the group.

Meanwhile, Jessie turns to her neighbor, who happens to be Professor Autumn. "Oh Professor, I know that you're main study is anthropology, but what do you think of exploring this place?
    I've heard a couple of your lectures, sir, and maybe there might be some of those mystic signs and whatnot that you've mentioned, and that's why this place is being labeled haunted. Now wouldn't that be jus' fascinating considering how they got there? I think so...
    "

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I must admit, it sounds quite interesting, Felix says before giving a half-smile, And the pay doesn't sound too bad either. All things considered, I think I would be happy to participate in this investigation.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The group smiles as you join in. "That sounds splendid professor! I think that we should send maybe three of us on the mission. If you're planning on going, who else do you think should go as well?" The four other members of Miskatonic look on eagerly.
    ----

See the OOC for more details.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Oh, I don't really think its my place to decide who goes and who doesn't

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Eventually Professor Jones notes, "As much as I'd love to jump on in feet first, as if you want to be a good archeologist, you've gotta get out of the library once in a while! However, I do feel bad that Lois hasn't been on an expedition in a little while." He turns towards the engineering student. "So how about it?"
    Lois beams brightly. "'Course, it'd be lovely to get out and see Bohston." (yes)
    Professor Jones then looks towards Dr. Grant, "What about you, Dr. Grant, would you like pursue fortune and glory?" He looks towards the doctor with a crooked smile on his face.
    ----

Hope this is a little bit better, sorry again...
    Also, I sincerely hope that despite a failed characterization, you are both having fun.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Dr. Grant thinks it over some more. It's not like ghosts are real, right? They can just stay overnight, see nothing happen, and go to a normal hotel and have a normal vacation.

"All right, all right, I'll go. Do any of you have experience looking for ghosts? I hear it's all the rage among thrillseekers."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois smiles, "Why of coarse, (yes) the supernatural's somethin' to be respected." Dr. Jones then smiles, "Well, it seems we're in agreement, best of luck to you all, and may fortune the bold!"
    The discussion then turns towards other subjects (slavery in early Providence, the uncovering of a lost Mayan relic, and more), and everything feels like a normal session at the Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained. When the group begins to disperse, Lois takes you both aside, "So, you both ready for this? We'll leave tomorrow, spend some time in the city, and then gather back and start lookin' into the house, researchin' occupants n' all on Monday. Hopefully it won't take too long n' we'll to check it out afterwards n' have some time to ourselves." She looks towards the both of you, "Sound good?"
    ----

Are you ready to depart? If not, please inform me of what you would like to do for the rest of the day in preparation.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Sounds good to me.

Felix is ready to head out, any prep he could do today could easily be done in D.C.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Dr. Grant would need to pack some clothes, but that's nothing that needs to be played out.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sounds good to me.

Felix is ready to head out, any prep he could do today could easily be done in D.C.
    For posterity's sake, you are all headed to Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessBlob View Post
    Dr. Grant would need to pack some clothes, but that's nothing that needs to be played out.
    Please give me a Dexterity roll to see if you're able to pack!
    This is sarcasm, don't do that

----

Arkham, 12:00 PM, October 28th, 1921

You both step on to the train to Boston with Lois. She's dressed rather simply, but her shirt and skirt allow for you to actually realize that she is really quite athletic, much moreso than either of you. The rest of the Society has also gathered to see you all off as the steamer departs from the station. They wave goodbye, and soon they are nothing more than little blips on the horizon. You all settle into your cabin and watch out the window as the Massachusetts wilderness passes you by. It's only a short trip to Boston, maybe an hour or so, but you nonetheless savor the peace and rhythm of the railroad.

Salem, 12:28 PM, October 28th, 1921

You pass by the famed Salem, Massachusetts. Some of you (read: the anthropology professor) cannot help but look out and wonder at what exactly happened in this small little town. How famed the witch trials were, and yet, there's still more to learn of them, and things to learn from them...
    Meanwhile, Lois seems to keep her silence. She opens and closes a switchblade knife in her hand, not out of any malice, but seemingly out of habit. All the while she gazes at the locomotive, analyzing its structure, what she can see of the other cars, and more.

Boston, 12:58 PM, October 28th, 1921

The doors open to Boston Railway Station, full of people hustling and bustling about. Lois rises from her chair, picks up her suitcase handily and strides out of the car, nodding for you to follow. As you get out you hear the steam whistle of the locomotive as it begins to depart back towards Arkham, returning along the criss-crossing lines of the station.
    Lois then stops and nods towards the both of you, "Mr. Knott managed to get us rooms at the Parker House hotel, we'll stop by-uh, pourt (yes) our bags down, n' then we gots the whole weekend to ourselves."

Boston, 1:25 PM, October 28th, 1921

You've gotten your rooms (all singles, of average quality), set your bags down, and headed off your separate ways, each of you agreeing to reconvene on Monday so that you can begin your investigation. The city of Boston is your oyster, and you have a couple days to kill before you actually begin your investigation. Mr. Knott was also kind enough to provide an initial advance of $5 (each) for you both to spend as a sort of weekend spending money.
    ----

So, what would each of your characters be doing in Boston during the weekend? How would they spend their free time?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Dr. Grant wants to see if he can get a ticket to one of those "motion pictures" he's heard so much about.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Dr. Grant wants to see if he can get a ticket to one of those "motion pictures" he's heard so much about.
    Indeed, he could most certainly find a ticket to The Three Musketeers.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Well then, my good sir, I think it is time for a trip to the cinema.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I think I'll just go have a nice meal, relax a bit.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spending some nice time at the cinema (which is really like a full-day experience) and relaxing makes both of you feel rejuvenated. You're ready for a week of investigating (or maybe less), and every bone in your body cannot help but wonder at what secrets this house has. The time seems to go by in a blur, but nevertheless, it is time to begin.

Boston, 10:28 AM, October 30th, 1921

You both gather up with Lois in front of the aforementioned house at 20 Sheafe St., North End, as Lois looks it up and down, "Sheesh, well I guess I see the whole hawted thing comes from. Well, I say we'll do bit of poking around, check the library, maybe the Globe, city hall, whatnot, n' see what they've there. Don' wanna go runnin' in unprepared, right? House 'as a 'istory!" She then looks towards the both of you, "So, what ya' boys think? Split up n' cover more ground? Stay togetha'? N' which won (yes) first?"
    ----

I apologize for my text-based Italian-Brooklyn accent.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

"I think we should split up for now. I'm heading towards the library to see if I can find something in their archives. Someone should head to the city hall to get some records, maybe even the floor plan."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Dr. Grant
    Show
    You head towards the Boston Central Library, a great big building full of mysteries and knowledge for those willing to pour through its contents. You quickly begin to investigate its catalogues and try your best to find whatever information you can concerning the house on Sheafe St.

Spoiler: Successful Library Use Roll
    Show
    You find the following paper after around a half-work's day of searching.

Boston, 2:03 PM, October 30th, 1921

Whether or not you discovered something, you feel that there is bound to be more to uncover in this library, right? After all, its size is roughly as large if not larger than the hallowed halls of Orne at Miskatonic (most likely larger but less academic). You've gotten a spot to eat at a cafe near the library, but what shall you do next?
    ----

EDIT: If you'd like to continue to your search in the library, feel free to let me know and give me another Library Use roll.

Spoiler: Prof. Autumn
    Show
    Meanwhile, Lois looks towards you, "Well Professor, seems Dr. Grant's 'eadin off by 'imself, whadda ya' think, should we go on to City Hall? Or some'in else?" She stares at you expectantly, you are the professor after all.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Lets head for city hall, see if we can't get some records on this place.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Professor Autumn
    Show
    Lois nods, "Sounds like a plan, prof!" You then depart towards City Hall.

Boston, 11:02 AM, October 30th, 1921

It's a bit of a walk to City Hall on 45 School St., home of the City Council. You pass by a statue of Ben Franklin along the way and see many tourists entering the hallowed halls and getting a tour of the fifty-year-old establishment. As you enter you're quickly directed to the hall of records, as you see a great number of files, shelves, and carts. One could easily get lost in here. Lois looks around, "Think I'm gonna call a clerk over, not the greatest at searchin' through files, ya' know." She rushes off for but a moment and returns with a young woman pushing a cart with a myriad of files atop it.
    The woman takes off her glasses and places them atop her blonde done-up hair, "Hello, I'm-a, Leslie Jenkins-a, how may I be a' service?"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Why did you put in the successful roll information before I rolled?
    (1d100)[18]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Hello Miss Jenkins. I'm professor Felix Autumn of Myskatonic university and this is my compatriot Miss Russo. We have been tasked with investigating the house at 20 Sheafe St., North End and were wondering if there might be any records of the house that could aid us? Perhaps a floor plan is on file?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Why did you put in the successful roll information before I rolled?
    [roll0]
    Because that way, we don't have to go back and forth with me reporting the results of the roll, and you can simply move on with your next post without having to wait for me to post as well. This is generally how I'll be doing things in the future with the exception of important rolls as it helps speed things up. This will also apply to you as well ACExtravaganza, so if I say: "Successful ... Roll" then make the roll and open the spoiler if you were successful in the roll. BTW Blob, because you were successful you should be able to open the spoiler and formulate your next post.
    ----

Spoiler: Professor Autumn
    Show
    Please give me a combined Persuade and Charm roll where only one must succeed as you're talking to her throughout this period of time. She'll help you, because that's her job, I just want to see how committed she is to helping you for future reference (ooooohhh spooky).
    ----

She nods, "It's-a, right this way sir. Floor plans should be over by column F." She points out towards one of the many aisles within the Hall of Records. Lois waves a thank you and comments when she leaves.
    "Always 'elpful to 'ave good relations, with 'em clerks n' librarians, knowledgeable people..." You then continue towards the aforementioned location and begin to search through the piles of stacks, searching for the Blueprints for 20 Sheafe St.
    ----

Lois is helping you. While normally she would roll herself if she was a player, because she's an NPC instead I'll rule that you gain a Bonus Die on this roll.

Spoiler: Successful Library Use Roll
    Show
    EDITED TO REFLECT CRITICAL SUCCESS

Boston, 11:13 AM, October 30th, 1921

You happen to find the following blueprints contracted by a Mr. Webber concerning the house on Sheafe St. by sheer luck after only a couple of minutes of searching through the records!
    . However, you could spend more time looking for information, I mean you never know, there might be more about this Mr. Webber, or maybe more about the house itself here in the hall of records. Then again, you could always head some place else. Lois interrupts your reverie with that exact question, "Well, we found the blueprints, don't know if there's gonna be too much else 'ere, but then again, who's this Mr. Webber character? Although, would the hall of records really 'ave too much on one man? I guess they'd just 'ave wills, birth certificates, and whatnot, eh? Maybe we'd be best off searchin' somewhere else? Whadda ya think, teach?" She looks towards you for guidance. You also judge by her tone that the "teach" is made jokingly, given that you're in the informal setting of investigating a haunted house.
    ----

If you think there's more here, you may roll again. This is not a Pushed roll, and is instead just you spending the same amount of time to make another roll. You've learned your lesson and you're definitely not going to get locked in any more buildings. I'm also not going to do a spoiler within a spoiler within a spoiler, so if you are planning on rolling again, just roll again and I'll make a new post.
    Spoiler: Failed Library Use Roll
    Show
    Boston, 2:03, October 30th, 1921

You've been searching for nearly half a day, and yet you've found nothing. There are just too many files in too many places. However, you might be able to spend more time searching, it's bound to be here... right? Although... maybe it's not and you should check out someplace else, Lois is just as uncertain as you are, continuing to pour through the files hoping to find the blueprints. "They've gotta be 'ere, right prof?"
    ----

You may roll again, this is not a Pushed roll, and is instead just you spending the same amount of time to make another roll. You've learned your lesson and you're definitely not going to get locked in any more buildings. I'm also not going to do a spoiler within a spoiler within a spoiler, so if you are planning on rolling again, just roll again and I'll make a new post.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-12 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Adding in Critical Success Benefit

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    persuasion (1d100)[76]
    charm (1d100)[59]
    library use with bonus die (1d100)[1] (1d10)[10]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    persuasion [roll0]
    charm [roll1]
    library use with bonus die [roll2] [roll3]
    For the record, (and this applies for both of you), a Combined roll is one roll compared to two or more skills/characteristics. Therefore you only need to make one roll. It doesn't matter, but this is just for posterity's sake.
    ----

Spoiler: Felix Autumn
    Show
    Miss Jenkins appears to be more than willing to help you out based on your amenable treatment of her (you get the feeling most who talk to her don't address her as more than "clerk").
    ----

Either way you succeeded (and a really good roll too [literally the best for both rolls]), so you can check out the spoiler for that and then formulate a new post (which should be how you operate in the future if I offer something like this). Also note that said post has been changed slightly to reflect that you rolled as low as possible (making it a Critical Success).

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

I'm not sure what to do with that information, so I'll head to the town hall.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's head to the Hall of Records, you never know what might be there.