New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default 5e need help making a ice martial character

Im trying to come up with some ideas for a ice/winter based martial character. Im thinking Levistus Tiefling or white/silver dragonborn but im not sure on what class i want, i do want to use a big axe and Armor of Agathys so a martial class but none of them really offer me much?
    Unfortunately the DM says i cant change spells into cold damage.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 5e need help making a ice martial character

Elemental Weapon is a 3rd level Paladin spell, does that sound appealing to you?
    Levistus tiefling and Silver/White dragonborn are also good options to start with, or perhaps variant human using magic initiate?
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

There is an entire elemental based barbarian subclass, but it is not that great but it has a cold themed option.

Giantkin sorcerer frostgiant is not bad on a mountain dwarf but nomartial cantrip for frost like there is for GFB.

Can’t use a two hander but bladesinger is not horrible.

Warlock has a few frosty options.

Barbarian would be the closest thematically

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Yeah barb would have been my pick just the ice one seems kinda underwhelming next to the storm and fire options, i would ask to just make one of them ice but DM said no to doing that with spells so i assume it will be the same with that but i will ask anyway

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Storm Herald Tundra barbarian seems to have the spot-on thematics you’re looking for. Its a weaker subclass, but its still playable and flavorfully fun.
    It doesnt really let you use AoA, though.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Since you mention Armor of Agathys, let's first look at Warlock options as that is the primary way to get that spell. There are three main ways to be melee-focused as a Warlock. Hexblade is the clearest, an entire subclass about being a warlock with a special weapon. It gives you Elemental Weapon and Cone of Cold, and you could fluff several of the smite spells into appropriate themes, it is a great way to be a martial character while having the magic punch to pull off ice spells, and it means you can focus more of your other resources on fulfilling the ice part of the concept. The second is Bladepact and it stacks with Hexblade. Since this lets you materailize your weapon and even change it (if it's not a specific magic weapon), you can even fluff it as creating the weapons from ice. The final way, and probably the least recommended for this, is Tomepact Shillelagh. It isn't as efficient as Hexblade and i feel like you miss out on some cool flavor options for Bladepact. Plus you don't have the SCAG cantrips that usually make Tomepact melee worth it.

After all that, XGtE gave us the wonderful Tomb of Levistus invocation, which you will likely want. What's more flavorful for a ice-themed person than the ability to protect themselves with the help of ice? It's a great way to avoid damage from a trap, protect yourself from a big attack, and otherwise react when your AoA is down.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I think the Tundra is actually the best of the Storm Herald options.

At level 3 desert hurts your allies and sea requires a saving throw, while tundra buffs your allies which is all useful. At level 14 Tundra is the only option that again doesn't require a saving throw. Tundra is in fact the only one I would consider playing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

One option for an ice based martial character would be to go into Eldritch Knight. You can pick up a bunch of ice based spells such as: Cantrips: Frostbite, Ray of Frost; 1st: Chromatic Orb, Ice Knife; 2nd: Dragon's Breath, Snilloc's Snowball Swarm; 4th: Ice Storm.

While not as tanky as a Fighter, a Druid might be a good choice. Take the Circle of the Land subclass (Arctic), that gets you a bunch of ice based spells. It just depends on how martial focused you want your character to be. I hope this helps you out.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Some options:
    • Paladin 2 (or 5) / Frost Giant Soul Sorcerer X - Armored, augmented AoA, martial weapons. Can Quicken Ice Spells after your attack action. Only go 5 levels into paladin for extra attack.
    • Tundra Herald Barbarian 3 / non-Fiend Warlock X - Unarmored defense, AoA scales with warlock levels and refreshes on short rest, Tomb of Levistus. Thirsting Blade allows you to pick up Extra attack while still expanding spellcasting progression. If you go Fiend patron on the Warlock side, you could refluff AG Barbarian with a blizzard theme instead. Rage + THP is a really good combo
    • Hunter Ranger 5 / Arctic Druid X - A bit boring, but gets the job done.
    • EK Fighter X / War Magic Wizard 2 - War Magic allows you to attack and RoF/Frostbite on the same turn. This build allows you to dump Dex - you get +Int to initiative and augment your Dex Saves with Arcane Deflection, on top of getting ritual casting, more spells & Cantrips
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

I would assume the DM doesn't allow homebrew, from your OP, otherwise I'd offer to brew something up.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

If you get any fire damage stuff, you can fluff that as freezerburn. Fog Cloud and similar could be “Whiteout” conditions, Grease is a frozen patch of ground, a Druid’s Area Damage is sharp ice crystals, etc. Even when you can’t change damage, refluffing is your friend.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

What level are you?

Hard to give much feedback without knowing any details.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2019-09-26 at 01:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by airless_wing View Post
    Storm Herald Tundra barbarian seems to have the spot-on thematics you’re looking for. Its a weaker subclass, but its still playable and flavorfully fun.
    It doesnt really let you use AoA, though.
    Alternate take: Tundra is the strongest theme in the Storm Herald subclass, and pretty good, even comparable with other barbarian subclasses - in the right party though. To start, temporary hp are always nice, but especially for a raging barbarian (effectively, they count double). Even at the beginning, with only 2 hp / round, assuming a 3 round combat, where you go full reckless attack, you prolly get 8-12 damage prevention out of it. And you can do it a few times/day. But even better: your allies profit as well. So in a party with 1) no other source of temp hp and 2) a few other frontliners, this ability can be quite nice.

As for races, Goliath can also work I think (fluff wise, not crunch), as well as Triton (cold resistance) - both work fine with Barbarian.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Waazraath View Post
    Alternate take: Tundra is the strongest theme in the Storm Herald subclass, and pretty good, even comparable with other barbarian subclasses - in the right party though. To start, temporary hp are always nice, but especially for a raging barbarian (effectively, they count double). Even at the beginning, with only 2 hp / round, assuming a 3 round combat, where you go full reckless attack, you prolly get 8-12 damage prevention out of it. And you can do it a few times/day. But even better: your allies profit as well. So in a party with 1) no other source of temp hp and 2) a few other frontliners, this ability can be quite nice.

As for races, Goliath can also work I think (fluff wise, not crunch), as well as Triton (cold resistance) - both work fine with Barbarian.
    Yeah THP on a barbarian are quite nice. A Battlerager looks ok on paper but they are a monster when you actually play one.
    - THP every round you reckless attack
    - Free Bonus attack with your armor so you can use a big 2 hander.
    - Grappling incentive
    - Very punishing vs people with lots of attacks in melee

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Does your DM allows UA?

What level do you start at?

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    - Free Bonus attack with your armor so you can use a big 2 hander.
    - Very punishing vs people with lots of attacks in melee
    Both conditioned on wearing a sub-par armor, of which you won't find magic version without DM fiat, and that requires you to forgo one of your most iconic class features.

The THP is the only good feature of the Battlerager and it is indeed really good.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Does your DM allows UA?

What level do you start at?

Both conditioned on wearing a sub-par armor, of which you won't find magic version without DM fiat, and that requires you to forgo one of your most iconic class features.

The THP is the only good feature of the Battlerager and it is indeed really good.
    Note that the "sub-par armor" is only 1 away from the maximum for that category (while having Stealth disadvantage). It's a hit, but a minor one. And while it's an iconic feature, it's not uncommon for a Barbarian to forgo it anyway, it's just an option. Aside from that, Battleragers also have ready access to a bonus action attack, which is handy for sword-and-board types or really anyone who isn't taking Polearm Master.

You are certainly limited to DM fiat when it comes to magic items, but that's the case for ALL magic items. If your DM doesn't work with a player on making sure they are getting useful magic items, it's probably a good idea to look for a new one anyway. Even something as simple as "can I stick metal barbs on the armor we just got to convert it to spiked armor?"
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Note that the "sub-par armor" is only 1 away from the maximum for that category (while having Stealth disadvantage). It's a hit, but a minor one. And while it's an iconic feature, it's not uncommon for a Barbarian to forgo it anyway, it's just an option. Aside from that, Battleragers also have ready access to a bonus action attack, which is handy for sword-and-board types or really anyone who isn't taking Polearm Master.

You are certainly limited to DM fiat when it comes to magic items, but that's the case for ALL magic items. If your DM doesn't work with a player on making sure they are getting useful magic items, it's probably a good idea to look for a new one anyway. Even something as simple as "can I stick metal barbs on the armor we just got to convert it to spiked armor?"
    The bonus action dash is a nice extra too.

We had one in our group. The no action everyone that hits you in melee takes 3 damage a hit is great against multiattackers.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Note that the "sub-par armor" is only 1 away from the maximum for that category (while having Stealth disadvantage). It's a hit, but a minor one.
    Compared to other armors of this category, you have 1 less point of AC, or 1 more disadvantage to Stealth.
    It is a minor hit, indeed, but still a hit.

So you have a class feature that hit you AC.
    For benefits that are quite relatives.

And while it's an iconic feature, it's not uncommon for a Barbarian to forgo it anyway, it's just an option.
    It is an option, and many Barbarians don't use it. Going for armor prevent you from having to invest a lot of ASI into Dex or Con.

But Battlerager forces you to forgo this option. You forgo your subclass features if you do not forgo that core class feature.
    Is this how subclasses are supposed to work?

Aside from that, Battleragers also have ready access to a bonus action attack, which is handy for sword-and-board types or really anyone who isn't taking Polearm Master.
    Or Dual Wielder.

Bonus action attacks are good, for sure. But, usually, the whole point of going S&B is to have a better AC. And you're still forced to use an armor that's not the best one possible. You are literally forbidden to use the best armors available with your proficiencies and to max out your AC.

And that remains true whatever is your level, your wealth, or your stats.

I agree with you on this.
    But DM fiat is fiat, you cannot be certain of it. And by judging from what i read on this board, not all DM are fair, balanced or comprehensive. And that without counting the low-magic campaigns.

If Spiked Armor were not a specific type of armor, but an option that could be added on existing armor, that would have solved a lot of this issues. If it were.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2019-09-27 at 01:27 PM.

Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Storm herald(both desert and sea) provide ways of dealing damage without attack rolls and saves. Even if it is low, the reliability of it is great at lower levels when playing in small groups. The swinginess of the d20 rolls can be lethal at the first levels and 10 feet is short enough that you play around it with a reach weapon in a smaller party. The UA Spore druid got nerfed for having a way to deal poison damage without any save or attack roll.

Battlerager gives a bonus action attack to barbarian, who don't get fighting styles, you can do it while wielding a maul or a longsword and shield, and it does not take a feat. The bonus action attack is a huge damage boost at levels 3-4, and you can add your rage damage to the attack.

OP, if you are allowed to use homebrew I have a winter/cold/hibernation themed monk lying around somewhere. It has not been tested but I could add it here if you are interested.
    Last edited by Fnissalot; 2019-09-27 at 02:34 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

i think it would have been much cooler if Battlerager spikes were just on chains and could be added to the character whatever armor they are wearing or indeed even none at all.

That and making the grapple damage scale would make it really stand out to me.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GlenSmash! View Post
    i think it would have been much cooler if Battlerager spikes were just on chains and could be added to the character whatever armor they are wearing or indeed even none at all.

That and making the grapple damage scale would make it really stand out to me.
    The reactive damage from being hit in melee has been a major help in lots of fights.

It has caused critters or NPCs with multi attacks to almost kill themselves.

I have seen a fighter NPC take 15 damage from it in one turn thanks to action surge, or a monk taking quite a bit as well from flurrying.

The lowered AC is not a big deal, if they are melee, trading hits will happen most of the time, you will get THP from using Reckless Attack, and they take damage from hitting you.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The reactive damage from being hit in melee has been a major help in lots of fights.

It has caused critters or NPCs with multi attacks to almost kill themselves.

I have seen a fighter NPC take 15 damage from it in one turn thanks to action surge, or a monk taking quite a bit as well from flurrying.

The lowered AC is not a big deal, if they are melee, trading hits will happen most of the time, you will get THP from using Reckless Attack, and they take damage from hitting you.
    I agree on all points. I do wish the reactive damage scaled too but I just prefer scaling damage to static damage. Overall that's a minor quibble.

And Low AC doesn't matter much on a Barbarian anyway. If you Reckless attack, you accept you are going to get hit.

The THP every round is honestly so good. I'd max Con on a Battlerager before strength every time just for that reason (which is kind of why I wish the features would work with Unarmored Defense, but that's another minor quibble). With 20 con you are effectively getting 10HP every round than to Resistance from Rage.

Then Spiked Retribution makes Battleragers by far the best equipped Barbarians to deal with Hordes. My favorite way to make a Battlerager is actually to take GWM since I'm going to be Recklessly attacking every chance I get anyway I might as well get the most out of -5/+10 at the same time.

Edit: I forgot to mention Dash. Extra movement is great on a Barbarian. Running out of Rage because you can't get to the next foe to attack them sucks. It's also great for grappling and moving a grappled target around. I've always thought Eagle Totem was underrated and it's just as useful on the Battlerager.
    Last edited by GlenSmash!; 2019-09-27 at 01:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GlenSmash! View Post
    The THP every round is honestly so good. I'd max Con on a Battlerager before strength every time just for that reason (which is kind of why I wish the features would work with Unarmored Defense, but that's another minor quibble).
    It does, level 6 and level 10 features don't require the use of spiked armor.

With 20 con you are effectively getting 10HP every round than to Resistance from Rage.
    That's were i don't follow.
    My understanding is that you gain your THP once per turn when you decide to use reckless attack. Since the effect of reckless attack last for the whole round.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    It does, level 6 and level 10 features don't require the use of spiked armor.

That's were i don't follow.
    My understanding is that you gain your THP once per turn when you decide to use reckless attack. Since the effect of reckless attack last for the whole round.
    He means each round you get your con bonus in THP, which with resistance is essentially 10 per round.

It gives them crazy good lasting power.
    Combined with retributive damage while raging, means they are great in battles of attrition.

Hands free bonus attack
    Recharging THP every round
    Bonus Dash
    Retribution damage if hit in melee

There are some classes they could almost kill just by standing there.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

He means each round you get your con bonus in THP, which with resistance is essentially 10 per round.
    Oh.... OK
    This makes more sense.

To be honest the recharging THP is very good.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Oath of Conquest Paladin gets Armor of Agathys, which is not that amazing on a straight Paladin because of the slowness with which it scales for them. You could combine that with White or Silver Dragon Sorcerer to get some more elemental spells and higher level slots to burn on AoA.

Also RickAllison has it nailed with his Warlock suggestions.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Depending how martial you want your martial character I'm currently playing a strength based throwing weapon artificer who has so far spent most of his spell slots on Arcane Weapon. Artificers are fluffed to keep their stuff mechanical rather than magical if you want to.

I'm not super convinced it'll pan out well long term but its working just about ok so far.