New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default What Pokemon is this?

I played pokemon as a kid (gen 1 and nothing after that) so I'm not completely unfamiliar with the franchise. I just thought I'd put that disclaimer out there. Another disclaimer: this question has to do with the Detective Pikachu movie and a pokemon I saw in it. I'm not sure if this thread should be moved, but I figured I'd put it here because in essence this thread is about a pokeomon from the games.

I'll put my question in spoilers just in case. Although to be fair I haven't seen the movie yet and only watched the honest trailer. So if you saw that and have a good knowledge of pokemon you probably can help me out.

Spoiler: detective pikachu
    Show
    Here's a link to the honest trailer. At the 2:59 mark the characters are running in a forest that turns out to be a pokemon. What is that? Pokemon can get that big? Is that just artistic liberties, or is the creature from the games really that big? Are there any gyms that can even hold it? I mean I knew some pokemon were large and some even bigger than houses, but that thing looks like it could support multiple neighborhoods.

One more thing: In the starring portions of the honest trailer they call charazard TROGDOR! I don't have a question about that. I just love the Homestar reference and wanted to say that.

So that's it. Thanks for anyone who can help.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Default Re: What Pokemon is this?

Greninja, according to this article.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Greninja, according to this article.
    Huh? I think there might have been some confusion. That clip from the movie is them running in a hallway (inside a building). I'm talking about the scene immediately after that in the honest trailer where they are outside and the ground shifts.

Edit: watch the honest trailer for Detective Pikachu from 2:59-3:02. That pokemon.
    Last edited by Magic_Hat; 2019-09-30 at 06:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Huh? I think there might have been some confusion. That clip from the movie is them running in a hallway (inside a building). I'm talking about the scene immediately after that in the honest trailer where they are outside and the ground shifts.

Edit: watch the honest trailer for Detective Pikachu from 2:59-3:02. That pokemon.
    Do you mean the turtle one?

Thats torterra. they generally cannot get that large in game, no. but the pokemon franchise has always been throwing in kaiju pokemon many times bigger than the real thing without much explanation since Kanto.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

How would you even go about battling and catching something that big?

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Do you mean the turtle one?

Thats torterra. they generally cannot get that large in game, no.
    Yep. That's the one. How big are they typically in the games? If I brought one that was as big as that in the movie to an indoor gym would it just squish the gym leader's pokemon and I'd be the winner?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
    How would you even go about battling and catching something that big?
    According to the anime which has most of these unexplained kaiju pokemon? ancient magical artifacts of doom that exist entirely for plot and then are never mentioned ever again

Yep. That's the one. How big are they typically in the games? If I brought one that was as big as that in the movie to an indoor gym would it just squish the gym leader's pokemon and I'd be the winner?
    Their real size is about.... human-ish, horse-ish, like you can probably ride it like a mount.

as for gyms, well....generally they don't exist in that continuity until Gen 8 hits and by then the gym leader has their own kaiju-pokemon to counter you with gigantamaxing, and all gyms there are outside. so, no, probably not, and size never really mattered much to pokemon mechanics anyways. and gyms and the pokmeon are real big on fairness, so, the giant torterra wouldn't be allowed on the grounds that it can't fit inside.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Assuming you are intending to see the movie at some point, the reason they are abnormally large is explicitly stated. YMMV on whether you buy into it or not, but theyre supposed to be giant.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Well, the in-game reference pokedex will tell you that Torterra is generally 7'3" or 2.2 meters tall, and weighs about 683.4 lbs or 310.0 kg. That said, audiences generally disregard the exact numbers provided by the in-game reference, because the numbers don't always hold up that well to scrutiny. For that matter, Onix, one of the pokemon that appeared in the first gym in the series, is 28 feet tall. That was the largest one for a while, but then he got an evolution, and later we got a different pokemon called Wailord that's 47 feet tall. These pokemon are used inside subway trains.

There's pokemon that weighs a ton, which is casually picked up by one of the side characters in an in-game cutscene.

As far as squishing a gym leader's pokemon to win? Well, yeah, technically, you can do that. The attacks Heavy Slam and Heat Crash do damage based off of the difference between the user's and the target's weight. They're not particularly well-suited for combat because there's a good deal of overlap in the "Heavy" and "Strong" categories in competitive play. Buuut the result you were probably expecting would be something you'd find in the Pokemon Adventures manga, which has a reputation for being a bit darker and more bonkers than the games and anime.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Torterra is classified as "the continent Pokémon", based on the general concept of a turtle carrying the world/islands secretly being turtles (though note Torterra is pretty solidly land based) etc that pops up in mythology here and there. As Raziere and Oracle pointed out it's almost disappointingly small in the games. Like many large Pokémon such as Gyarados the anime gives it a better size, but still not anywhere near kaiju size.

For a live action movie though, one that doesn't need to be the start of a larger series because it's basically a spin off title to test the waters, I understand why this is the one you'd scale up that much. It's visually cool and not unfaithful to the concept. I'm completely fine with believing Torterra can grow this big in the Detective Pikachu world, without being some mystical exception like the random giant Pokémon all over the early anime. Although I might also believe that in that case they don't hand one to every ten year old, but my headcanon on starters lies closer to the games anyway (nobody has one, a starter is only a thing because you live next to the nutty professor, or at the very least normal people get a less exotic starter from their local gym or something).
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-10-01 at 04:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Torterra is classified as "the continent Pokémon"
    Torterra used tackle. Your pokemon (and all the pokemon and humans within a one mile radius) "faint." It was super effective.