New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default PAM + GWM (Glaive) or GWM (Greataxe) + Spiritual Weapon

I am playing a Journey of Wrath Shaman (homebrew class that has been around for a while), and I am wondering:

Should I take PAM + GWM, freeing up second level slots and assuring that I ALWAYS have something to do with my BA

--OR--

Should I just take GWM (with a d12/2d6 weapon), freeing up a feat/ASI, but relying on limited Spiritual Weapon uses for my BA damage

Assume the following relevant info

- Game starts at level 4, could continue as high as 20 (My first feat at this level will either be PAM or GWM depending)
    - Shaman has a class feature where they can effectively use Wisdom (casting stat) for Atk/Dmg with Melee weapons.
    - Due to rolling stats, after racials I have Wis 20, Con 18, Dex 16. (So ASI's aren't too much of an issue)
    - Shaman has medium armor proficiency (Martial Weapons come from the archetype)
    - Outside of Spiritual Weapon, there aren't a huge amount of uses for the Shaman's BA in general.

Currently I am leaning toward the PAM+GWM route, since ASI's aren't in high demand and it guarantees that I usually have something to do with the BA, and frees up spell slots. But, I am not sure, so I am looking for any advice. I think I have covered most of the relevant factors in the decision, but if anyone needs more info just let me know and I will try to provide it. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: PAM + GWM (Glaive) or GWM (Greataxe) + Spiritual Weapon

If you have another feat or ASI that you want, I would go with GWM + using spiritual weapon since some of the time GWM will give you a bonus action attack anyway (on a crit or kill) though PAM is more reliable and gives an opportunity attack when an opponent moves adjacent.

--------

However, having read over the class, I can only conclude that it is significantly overpowered compared to the base line classes. The spell list cherry picks the wizard, cleric, and warlock spell lists. There aren't any really bad options. The spirit familiar is ridiculous with spirit boon powers. The Wrath archetype gets extra attack at 6th level making it comparable to the best melee classes but adding all the clerical support like Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon and it has medium armor, shields and martial weapon proficiencies while still being a full caster. I'm a bit surprised that the class wasn't given Wish at 9th level but I guess there are limits.

(I am assuming this is the source for the class? https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HyjbBsa )

Boon of Stone is 75 temp hit points every short rest for a character with 20 wisdom for example.

Of course, Shillelagh is on the cantrip list so it can be cast to use WIS as the attack stat - though this only works with a staff and not with any weapon. I couldn't find a reference to using WIS for all attacks.

The class also has the Ritualist feature which is the Ritual casting feat but you just get to cherry pick the rituals, they always count as prepared and don't count against spell limits.

Anyway, if your DM is ok with including the class then have fun with it but ... balanced, it is not.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: PAM + GWM (Glaive) or GWM (Greataxe) + Spiritual Weapon

The ability that lets them use Wisdom is called Boon of Fury.

Other homebrew classes are in play, and this is for a game with all close friends that only runs once a month, so balance is not a huge concern. Our games tend to be more about role playing and having fun than actually playing a "game". And I was originally drawn to the Shaman class because it has ridiculous flavor for the specific campaign we are playing.

The only other feat I could see really wanting would be maybe Medium Armor Master since I have a 16 dex.

Also, if you look under the journey of harmony archetype, it looks like boon of stone is supposed to be exclusive to that archetype, so despite the fact that it is technically listed with the common boons I wont be taking that one, since I dont think it is RAI for that class.
    Last edited by Genoin; 2019-09-25 at 10:32 AM.