New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default [M&M 3e] Devices : need inspirations

Hi everyone,

I'm currently running a game of M&M 3e and applying to another one on this very forum.

I am planning for one of the villains to be a multi-disciplinarian hyperactive tech genius turned high-tech weapon dealer for super villains.
    And I'm severely lacking in ideas.
    The Gadget Guide offers a nice selection of idea but these are mostly crunchy concepts with very little in the way of fluffy bits. I'm not complaining : the Guide is meant exactly like that so it can be adapted to any game. But it doesn't fit my needs, in part because I need good fluff ideas and in part because I need the devices to be ranked already for balance against PL 10 heroes.

Hence this thread : I gamble on the community being full of a lot of good ideas.

Spoiler: NOT FOR MY PLAYERS
    Show
    The 1st challenge :
    1. You must post a Device here.
    2. The price of the Device must be equal or less than 20 PP, not counting the Removable flaw in it.
    3. The Device must be useful on its own against a balanced PL 10 character, though not obligatory an overwhelming threat.
    4. The Device is limited as it would be for a PL 10 character :
      • Skills Ranks cannot go beyond 20
      • Dodge + Toughness Ranks cannot go beyond 20
      • Parry + Toughness Ranks cannot go beyond 20
      • Fortitude + Will Ranks cannot go beyond 20
      • Attack bonus + Effect Rank cannot go beyond 20
      • If no Attack roll needed, Effect Rank cannot go beyond 10
    5. The Device must be fluffed so the reader can understand how it is supposed to work (ex : "the frost ray is making its target sluggish. It needs liquid nitrogen as ammo."
    6. The Device must be portable or at least not so big that it cannot be transported in a van.
    7. The non-lethal but irritant devices are encouraged : the aim isn't to destroy the heroes or to make it impossible to overcome challenges but rather to make them pull their hairs because mere minions can slow them down and become a pain to deal with.
    8. No Array : the device must be a one-setting power, though Dynamic Array are allowed.

The 2nd challenge :
    2. The price of the Device must be equal or less than 30 PP, not counting the Removable flaw in it.
    3. The Device must be useful FOR a PL 10 character that will have to fight A GROUP of PL 10 characters.
    5. The Device must be fluffed so the reader can understand how it is supposed to work (ex : "the frost ray is making its target sluggish. It needs liquid nitrogen as ammo."
    6. The Device must be fully portable by your average human.
    7. The non-lethal but irritant devices are encouraged : the aim here is for the villain to be able to stand on his own against a group despite the odds.
    8. No Array : the device must be a one-setting power, though Dynamic Array are allowed.

The 3rd challenge :
    2. The price of the Device must be equal or less than 35 PP, not counting the Removable flaw in it.
    3. The Device must be useful FOR a PL 10 character that will have to fight A GROUP of PL 10 characters.
    5. The Device MUST be an Array with AS DIFFERENT AS POSSIBLE.
    6. EACH POWER must be fluffed so the reader can understand how it is supposed to work (ex : "the frost ray is making its target sluggish. It needs liquid nitrogen as ammo."
    7. The Device must be part of 30-feet tall mecha-style armor, which will be the villain's "final form" when he'll drive it in battle.

I thank you all in advance for your help and await with impatience to see your creativity.
    Last edited by Johel; 2019-10-16 at 04:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Default Re: [M&M 3e] Devices : need inspirations

The Ice Box
    Burst Area Continuous Affliction 10 (First Degree: Hindered, Second Degree: Prone; Alternate Resistance Dodge)
    Flaws: Limited Degree, Limited to Walking Targets
    Total cost: 20 PP

Inspired by the freeze ray, The Ice Box creates a sheet of ice around itself, with a villain standing on the box.
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2019-10-16 at 03:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Steal shamelessly from other sources. For example D&D/pathfinder has a lot of items, just adapt the essence of the idea.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Challenge 1:
    Singularity Generator
    (20PP)Burst Area Damaging Move Object 10, Limited to Pulling Towards the Center of the Area, Unreliable (Five Uses)A dangerous and deadly device, the portable singularity generator creates intense, though short lived, gravity wells which draw nearby matter in to be torn apart and annihilated. Any target caught in the Singularity’s area of effect is drawn towards it and suffers Damage upon contact until destroyed, whereupon the target disappears into the singularity. It takes a standard action each round to maintain the singularity, effectively reusing the power’s Damage effect each round. Creating and or sustaining black holes is extremely inefficient, and the device needs to be charged after five uses.

Challenge 2:
    Dimensional Stutter Grenade (29pp)Continuous Unreliable(5 Uses) Quirk(Uses must be used sequentially)Burst Area Ranged Movement (Dimension Travel 1) Attack (Resisted by Dodge)
    This grenade is best used when one needs to buy themselves some time- simply pull the pin, and toss into the fray of your enemies (and possibly your disposable minions), and you can buy yourself 30 seconds to get away! (assuming six-second rounds, the grenade will banish anyone who fails a DC 24 Dodge Save. A Villain that's not trying to run away could use it to simply delay a few of his opponents while he faces off with the remaining opponents.
    It's pronounced, "Night", not "Knit".