New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 51 of 167 FirstFirst ... 2641424344454647484950515253545556575859606176101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 5010
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5E] Heretic's Bane Icewind Dale

Wyatt scratches his head, frustrated, and gets up after delivering his report.

"Poor Arman. We've all been hit hard... and crap, I gotta meet up with Sable and the others. But I'm not really in any shape to be running around. Any more of that poison and I'll be a heap on the floor for sure. Ideas, anybody?"
    Last edited by Strangie; 2009-07-15 at 10:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1502
    Troll in the Playground

"Anyone have somethin' to help the halfling out with the poison?" Carmard asks, his back back turned to the group as he puts his leg armor back on after having the bolt extracted. "Otherwise I say he rides on Gore or someth'n"

3. - Top - End - #1503

WolfInSheepsClothing

Magnum

Magnum watches on as surgery is performed on the elf, downing a few potions to help mend his own wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 2 cure serious
    (3d8+5)[21]
    (3d8+5)[20]

sorry for the short post....in a hurry
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

4. - Top - End - #1504
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought Arum and Thordrek were heading along and I was keeping pace with the group. If that is the case I'm going onto the roof with the three guys with crossbows, taking out my sap, and taking three rounds to study the closest one. If they draw a bead on the party I'll sap the closest and take out the other two with subdual damage if possible.. then I'll truss them up like turkeys while they are out.

5. - Top - End - #1505
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, that was the plan actually, sorry if it wasn't clear enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

6. - Top - End - #1506

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't have internet atm, hoping to have it back by the end of the month. If anything important comes up before I get it back, please just NPC Arum.
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

7. - Top - End - #1507
    Troll in the Playground

Carmard’s group limps out of the tenement they have taken shelter in. Stepping out first behind his own shield, Carmard looks around and prepares to meet a hail of crossbow fire. None greet him, however and he has mixed feelings about that. At least he would know what to expect. He hefts his magnificent hammer, looking for a target.

Standing boldly in the middle of the street behind his massive shield, which actually provides him considerably cover, Carmard waves the rest of the group forward. The Ironfist cousins, Grathalmor and Nalrak, quickly reach his side and recover their now dusty shields. The rest of the party makes their way out, with Gore bringing up the rear. Arman limps along, his crippled leg slowing his normally brisk pace. Still wounded, Magnum keeps to the rear as well.

“Let’s try to avoid kill’n anyone else” Carmard growls, looking back at the group. His finger points to the crimson stain on the side of one of the adobe buildings, left where Magnum’s spell beheaded one of their attackers. Clearly Carmard is not happy about the situation they find themselves in. Or the irony of it….

Not bothering to tell anyone what he is doing, Carmard takes out a wand without warning. He aims the thin black rod skyward and utters the command words to activate it. A blue ball of light shoots upwards from it into the sky and it explodes in a brilliant yellow, pulsating light. A sound not unlike a bellows can be heard with each pulse of light and it lasts for 30 seconds before fading away to nothingness.

“Good job, Arcanii. You now draw peasants with that like bees to honey. Or bears” Gore sneers from beneath his enormous helmet.

Carmard freezes in place, not moving or reacting but clearly tensing from the rebuke. He halfway turns to face Gore and his head makes the rest of the turn. While his eyes are hidden beneath his helmet and silver Arcanii mask, it is not necessary to see them to know he is glaring at the minotaur.

“Arcanii actions require no justification. Especially to mercenaries” Carmard says, his voice slow, blunt and forceful. “If you or Kerik had a thought, it’d be the only thing that would hurt yer hard heads. Accepting your… mental limitations, I was signaling the others that we are alive and proceeding cautiously.” Carmard finishes and turns back to continue his march. The minotaur is not done, however.

“Hah! Even young calf know not to show charge before charging. Big light great way to invite more bugs! You fight like castratii, not Arcanii!” Gore taunts back, gripping his groin and laughing.

Carmard stops once against, straightens his back and turns on the balls of his feet to face the massive minotaur. He takes two steps towards him. For their part, Grathalmor and Nalrak walk backwards and use their shields to protect Carmard’s rear, but they look at the minotaur to see what is about to happen.

Carmard removes his helmet and looks up at the minotaur, who stands at twice his height four times his mass.

“Ye might be right. If so, guess who’s the biggest target?" he says and pauses, looking Gore right in the eyes. "That be all, aye?” Carmard says coldly. The minotaur looks down at Carmard and takes a step forward as well. The two are now no more than a few paces away.

“They cannot hurt Gore with such puny weapons!” the minotaurs boasts. “No killing now? Hah. Look at that rubble, you –“
    Carmard’s hand glows blue for a moment and he flicks his wrist in the minotaur’s direction and a sparking ball of translucent blue force strikes the minotaur in the head. and he is suddenly silent, frozen in place.

Carmard walks over and pushes the minotaur in the abdomen and sends him toppling over in a clatter of metal plate on metal plate, as well as a heavy thud. He turns to the rest of the group and points forward.

“Seen that one comin’, heh” Grathalmor says, and laughs.
    “What about Gore?” Nalrak asks, looking back at the fallen minotaur. “He be carryin’ the tack to deal with the Stoneburner…” the dwarf says.

Carmard stalks by them, walking down the street ahead of the group at a brisk pace.

“I told'em that was all. He’ll catch up shortly. I suggest ye do the same” he says as he stalks past them, giving them both a severe looking.

“Those minotaurs are becom’n a problem, Grath” Nalrak says to his cousin.
    “Aye. Gonna be problems when he wakes up too” Grathalmor replies, as he tries to catch up with their leader.
    “The longbeard shan’t in the mood for much more o’that. Lucky he didn’t try that shat with Glorian. He’d be a dust pile…” Nalrak replies.

They both shiver at THAT thought… No one talked back to Glorian. Hell, you tried to avoid even talking to her…
    Last edited by mshady; 2009-07-19 at 10:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1508
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    There was some confusion, but I made the best of it. It's better this way for now... Sorry about that! We'll get the band back together soon.

9. - Top - End - #1509
    Troll in the Playground

Carmard leads the group now, striding purposefully down the street. Nalrak and Grathalmor scramble to keep up with him, along with the rest of the group. Arman sticks to the rear for now and Magnum stays with him to help the elf as he gets used to walking with a crippled leg. It is not an easy task and his leg throbs with pain from the unnatural way the bone had been mended.

They walk past the rubble from the building that Carmard had leveled and all but the Arcanii look at it. A hand sticks out of rubble and it looks like it had been flayed to the bone in parts. An shimmering aura of blue energy surrounds the rubble, the remaining traces of a truly powerful magical spell. Several in the party glance back at the fallen Gore, wondering when the powerful minotaur would get back up. The group puts almost a minute’s distance from him before he rolls back to his feet. The big minotaur shakes his head, clearing out the mental cobwebs. His hand reaches back for the enormous two handed sword that Tolrin’s party had captured the week prior from an ogre mage that Bundok had slain, but thinks better of it. His long strides quickly allow him to catch up with the party, but he says nothing but his eyes are red and his lungs heave from anger. His gaze does not leave Carmard’s back.

“He’s gonna be a problem…” Grathalmor says, glancing back at the glaring minotaur. Nalrak nods, but says nothing. Carmard does not even acknowledge the comment as he presses forward, clomping with every step in his metal shod boots.

The group approaches the first actual barricade. One bolt sticks out of the ground. Another bolt sprouts out of the top of the barricade, lodged firmly in a broken adobe block. A blood stain can be seen on a block next to it where Wyatt was hit. Without breaking his stride, Carmard’s hands come alive with a sparkling blue energy and he traces a quick sign in the air. In the blink of an eye, the enormous head of a ram appears and streaks towards the barricade when Carmard thrusts his hand forward. It strikes with a thud and a burst of blue energy as the dweomer disintegrates on impact. Pieces of lumber, discarded ironworks, furniture and adobe fragments fly into the air or are knocked dozens of feet forward as Carmard destroys the barricade.

As pieces of debris land on the ground with a thump and a clatter and the cloud of pulverized adobe clears, the familiar “clunk” of crossbow’s can be heard. Three bolts streak down from a five story tenement. One bolt thumps into Grathalmor’s metal faced shield, where it expends most of its energy but pierces the shield enough to rap the legionnaire on the knuckles painfully, where a heavier crossbow would have easily pinned his hand to his shield painfully. The second bolt hits Carmard’s shield right on the rim and bounces forward to smack the Arcanii’s face mask with a hard clang before dropping to the ground. He winces from the impact, but suffers no ill effect. The third bolt strikes his thick paldrons on his right side, stabbing him painfully in the shoulder but it is hardly a mortal wound…

“Against the side! No shoot'n!” Carmard barks…

Ignoring his order, Gore stands out in the open and whips a throwing axe off his belt. The minotaur sends the throwing axe spiraling through the air at an incredible speed only a creature of his extreme strength could manage. His target is some sort of humanoid looking over the edge of building and he nearly splits the man's head with the axe. The axe soars skyward instead...

"We're on your side dammit!" Grathalmor yells upwards at the shooters.
    Last edited by mshady; 2009-07-19 at 11:57 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1510
    Troll in the Playground

Sable stands silently, watching the biggest of the three crossbowmen with a lethal patience. Her concentration is not quite disturbed by the sudden thud and explosion of debris from below. A table leg makes a lazy spiral through the air and clatters to the ground right next to her and she smiles to herself. She was pretty sure she just found Carmard, and that was good news. The bad news was also that she had found Carmard, as Carmard had recently leveled a building that also had shooters atop it she imagined. She felt confident that was not how she was going to die, however and bounded forward towards her first victim with her sap in hand.

Two are reaching for extra crossbows, already loaded and sitting on the ground. They sit near a small bucket full of a black oil and several crossbow bolts sat in it. A third crossbowman was leaning over the edge of the building for whatever reason she noticed. Her first victim is not even looking in her direction as the leather bounded sap strikes him on the back of the head with a hard thump as her invisibility fades. He drops to the roof without so much as a grunt, hitting the floor at about the same speed she swung the sap. Indeed the man lands on his forehead and bounces upward a little bit from the impact, leaving a bloody spot on the adobe..

Sable connects on a roll of 18 and knocks the crossbowman out cold with a natural 20 on her sub-dual death attack. Needless to say, it was overkill…

With her cloak of invisibility gone, she wastes no time moving for the next crossbowman like a mountain lion springing at its prey. The humanoid, a slim Genasi with pale skin, swings his crossbow at her like a club but Sable crosses her arms and lets her thick dastana bracers block the overhead swing. Her block is rewarded by a crack as the crossbow’s shaft breaks, leaving her opponent with bent club than pushes back hard to open the distance with her foe. Rocked back by the force of his own momentum and Sable’s push, he is still recovering when Sable draws back her foot and sends it flying hard into the pale genasi’s groin. He howls in pain and doubles over, dropping to one knee.

As she is about to club her second foe into submission, a throwing axe comes flying across over the edge of the building. She has just enough time to combine a side step and a duck to avoid the errant axe, but does not stop to think where that came from.

From below, she can hear one of the dwarves yell something about being all on the same side and she could not agree more with the sentiment. That was the only reason her bow was on her back and rapier in her sheath right now…

Not surprisingly, her foe is still doubled over in pain from her well placed kick. With a quick movement, she draws her hand across her chest and sends the sap on a sweeping downward trajectory where it connects with the genasi’s head. He groans and falls over on his side, holding his head for a moment before lapsing into unconsciousness.

Sable rolls a 15 and hits the second crossbowman. She does 6 pts of damage to the Genasi and knocks him out.

She has just enough time to be satisfied before the last crossbowman comes rushing in at her. Sable swipes at the tiefling with her sap and strikes a bruising blow against the man’s shoulder before he knocks her to the ground in a tackle. He snarls at her and tries to bite her, catching her on the neck and biting down hard with his sharp pointed teeth. It stings badly and blood flows freely from the wounds, but he hardly struck an artery. A shoulder jab dissuades him from trying that again.

Pinned to the ground, Sable ignores any thought of offense for the moment and finds a leverage point and puts all of her strength into just the right spot to allow herself a chance to roll and twist out of the tiefling’s grasp. He tries to grapple her again, but the disguised Sable avoids his grasp and soon both combatants are to their feet again.

The last crossbowman drops to the ground a moment later as Sable beans him on the forehead with her sap faster than he can even think of reacting. His eyes roll back in his head and he drops to his knees, than slumps to the ground.

Sable connected with an AoO, but lost a grapple with the crossbowman. She passed an escape artist check, however and freed herself and finished off her foe.

She pokes him with the toe of her boot to make sure he is down for the count and seems satisfied. Looking around, she tries to spot any other rooftop crossbowman before they can shoot at her. She also tries to see if she can spot that hydra…

Sable rolls a 17 on a spot check. She does not see any other crossbowman. She does see the hydra to the far west however. It is gliding high over the town and its heads are looking down at all directions, looking for something.

11. - Top - End - #1511

Wyatt shoves most of his spare equipment in his haversack, save for his shortbow and quiver. He normally didn't like using it as much, since it made it hard for him to use the buckler on his arm at the same time, but he certainly couldn't block bolts with his mace ... at least, not yet, he thought to himself.

He proceeds along behind another party member where he can have some cover, preferably NOT the angry minotaur after Carmard just handed his ass to him on a silver platter if it can be avoided. He constantly keeps moving though, shifting around behind allies to keep himself mobile.

He watches attackers rain on their parade, shaking his head. "Why the hell are they shootin' at us!? We ain't ever gonna catch a break from these guys, are we?"

12. - Top - End - #1512
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kelith
    As they head through the town Kelith will walk alongside Arman and watch for any signs of their injuries worsening.

Chuckling to himself as the minotaur gets put into silence he becomes quite serious as more crossbow bolts are sent their way.

As Carmard is struck by the bolt he moves up towards him after he sees the attackers fall, "That bolt wouldn't have happened to break skin would it? Last thing we need is another dose of poison in your veins."

{{I'm assuming I cast a Cure Serious and Cure Moderate Wounds spell for the surgery on Arman (as well as the minor wounds and light spell). If I am incorrect just let me know and i'll adjust my Spells Cast.}}
    Spells Cast
    0-2
    1st-2
    2nd-2
    3rd-1
    "The forest is a dangerous place to those who don't know its secrets, your in luck though because i know them" -Tharar Greenleaf, Ranger, to my weekly D&D group

13. - Top - End - #1513
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Sable removes the hat of disguise and peeks her head over the raised lip of the rooftop. Seeing Carmard she yells down, "All clear up here. Just tying them up! Sorry they got a round off, but I didn't know you were down there till just now!" She bends down and hurriedly ties their wrists to their ankles, bending them backwards in what will be a rather uncomfortable position when they wake up. Touching a fingertip lightly to the bite on her neck she winces and resists the urge to kick the tiefling in the face with her boot. Searching the rooftop she recovers the throwing axe and stuffs it into her backpack along with the hat of disguise and anything of interest she finds on the unconscious crossbowmen.

"Coming down!"

She calls as she vaults off of the side of the building. The ground rushes up to meet her as she casts a quick spell holding the last syllable of the feather fall spell until she is only a few feet from the ground. She lands lightly in a crouch beside the group. "Thordrek and Arum are just around the corner and we left Joh with Harold in a building back towards the block house. I figured I'd scout a bit since Wyatt didn't come back to us." She shoots a grin at Wyatt. "Glad to see you in one unfeathered piece. Though it looks like you all ran into some troubles." She frowns as she takes in their battered condition. "Oh!" She says as she remembers something, "There's a winged hydra flying over the town looking for something. It's a good distance off to the west, but I wouldn't count on it staying there." She digs in her backpack and pulls out the throwing axe. "Does this belong to anyone?"

14. - Top - End - #1514
    Troll in the Playground

Carmard groans in response to Kelith's question.

"Aye, it stuck me good. Nay takes a deep wound to poison ye. First one nay bothered me, but this one 'ere hit me hard" he says. The Arcanii's chest heaves and he seems to shake, as if overtaken by a chill. Unable to see his face, it can be only assumed his face has gone as pale as the others did. "Strong stuff..." he groans. He leans against the building more for support now than cover....

When Sable yells down at him, he turns a weary head skyward and smiles under his fearsome Arcanii mask.

"Not surprised ye turned up!" he calls back up to her. "Get down'ere lass and lemme know what be going on, aye?"

He watches as Sable disappears again as she finishes roping their assailants together. When she returns, she announces she was coming down. It was immediately clear she was not taking the steps...

Falling to the ground and suddenly halting her fall with a quick spell, Sable makes an impressive entrance that leaves Carmard shaking his head with appreciation of her skill. He listens to her report and nods his head several times. His reply is forthcoming, but only after a long pause.

"We'll go meet up with Thordek right quick, I be figuring. That bit 'bout a flying hydra? If I didn't know ye were telling the truth I'd call ye a kobold's cousin" he says and pauses again. He taps the chin area of his facemask thoughtfully.

"That's absolutely noth'n I want to get in a tangle with. Not after that last one and our condition. Last shooter there got me good. Poisoned me, and a poison strong enough to poison two dwarfs is no joke. Magnum 'ver there can barely bloody walk. Arman's leg is crippled and the halfing can nary carry a thing. Take the runt and scout ahead" he finishes and gestures towards Wyatt.

"I wish that damned druid was back. Could use a bird..." the Arcanii mutters more to himself than anyone in particular.

15. - Top - End - #1515

Wyatt shrugs, walking up to Sable.

"This poison is killa on me, Sable. Drains your strength and makes healin' difficult, yeah? Made me waste a potion, too, damnit. I had to shove everything in my Haversack because I feel like I might collapse. Dunno how much use I'll be to ya, but.... I'll do my best for this team, eh?" He stands up straight, brushing his forward hair back a bit. It just falls back down forward.

"You n' me, heh, we seem to be gettin' grouped up a lot together. I just hope I can keep up, I ain't got any of your fancy magic. Tell me what you want me to do and consider it done, long as it ain't suicide."

16. - Top - End - #1516
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Sable lays the throwing axe on the ground and rummages around in her pack for a minute before pulling out a vial. Would this help? It's an antitoxin I carry around in case I need it. Figure you'd better take it Carmard since you just got dosed. Won't help with any damage already done, but it might keep it from doing any more damage to you. Didn't see anything on the shooters, so they aren't carrying a cure around with them. Figure their bolts are pretreated. She frowns for a moment and then nods as she comes to the same conclusion Carmard had. Harold. Ah well, if he gave it to them, he'll have a cure for it if it exists. Handing the vial to Carmard she smiles as Wyatt walks up to her and pats him gently on the shoulder.

I can throw your pack in mine until you feel better if you want. And as for my magic, She shrugs and smiles sheepishly, it's all little tricks to help me out. None of them are really strong, but they don't really have to be. A dart can kill a man as fast as a claymore and do it more quietly. You and I Wyatt, we're the darts.

17. - Top - End - #1517

"Dunno if yours is the same but last I checked putting one of those things in another tears a fabric in reality or somethin' crazy like that, eh?" Wyatt shrugs. "... ya might have to, in any case..."

Wyatt unshoulders his Haversack, holding it up to Sable. "I got alla my stuff in there so don't lose it! I'm countin' on ya, ya know."

Spoiler
    Show
    The Haversack weighs a whole 5 lbs. :O If you wanna know what's in it, send me off a PM if you plan on pilfering any of Wyatt's stuff. :P

18. - Top - End - #1518
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Sable smiles and places the one bag inside of the other without any untoward effects. You're thinking of portable holes. Nah, I've seen this done plenty of times in Waterdeep. Guy in a shop keeps them stored this way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't even think about it Mike.

Extradimensional spaces are notorious for creating spectacular and dangerous effects when placed inside each other; however, the dangers can be somewhat overrated. One bag of holding can be placed safely inside another (of course, the first bag's weight counts against what the second bag can hold). Likewise, one portable hole can be placed safely inside another.
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20051101a

From the bag of holding description on page 248 of the Dungeon Master's Guide:

If a bag of holding is placed within a portable hole (page 264), a rift to the Astral Plane is torn in the space: Bag and hole alike are sucked into the void and forever lost. If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane: The hole, the bag, and any creatures within a 10-foot radius are drawn there, destroying the portable hole and bag of holding in the process.

As far as looting Wyatt's stuff. Nah, too obvious that it would be her doing it. If she's going to steal something she'll wait until he'd think someone or something else did it.

19. - Top - End - #1519
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

As they see the second column of light. Thordrek and Arum head towards it. As they see the lookouts, Thordrek yells out.

Friendlies approaching

And then, once they are there

So, what happened?

20. - Top - End - #1520

Spoiler
    Show
    Not like he really has anything worth stealing, haha. He doesn't even have gold. And then everyone deals with halfling raaaaaaaage. BONK.

Wyatt rubs his chin, nodding and raising an eyebrow.

"Oooh, right... yeah, see, I ain't too keen on all this fancy magic business. I'll hafta remember that, might be handy down the road for carryin' a bunch of crap.

Wyatt sighs, shaking his head. "I almost feel useless like this, just me and my trusty slugger. If we get into a tight spot, I prefer it be up close where they can't shower me in poison bolts effortlessly... in any case. Lead the way, I suppose."

21. - Top - End - #1521
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Sable and Wyatt work their way back towards the house where Harold is holed up. She smiles at Thordrek and Arum as she sees them heading towards them. Everyone is over that way. She points towards the rest of the group. Carmard can fill you in, we're heading back towards Harold.

She looks down at Wyatt and speaks to him. The path should be relatively safe since I just checked this way coming, but I'll head up to the rooftops to make certain. Keep heading along on the ground and I'll signal it's clear from up top. Keep behind cover and watch any windows. With that Sable uses a potion inspired spring to bounce to the highest windowsil she can reach and from there she vaults to the lowest rooftop.

She mutters to herself as she jumps. Wierd doing this without being invisible. Feels like I'm running around without clothes on. Once on the roof she watches for any sign of an ambush on the group below with Wyatt doing the same from down below.

22. - Top - End - #1522
    Troll in the Playground

Thordek and Arum meet no opposition as they advance into town.

Sable moves back up to the roof tops and spies no opposition. On the roofs at least.

She counts and now sees 7 columns of smoke.

What the hell is going on over there?

23. - Top - End - #1523

Wyatt does as he's told, moving from corner to corner. This time, he makes absolutely certain of snipers before he pops out of cover, peering around corners quickly and making himself as hard of a target as possible by crouching and laying low whenever he can, until Sable gives him the signal to advance.

"Like hell I'm gonna let one of these bastards hit me twice..." He mutters to himself as he scoots along.

24. - Top - End - #1524
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Sable continues until the house Harold holed himself up inside is in sight. Signaling down to Wyatt to hold position they wait for the main group to catch up with them. She has just enough time to walk down the stairs before the group catches up. She steps out of the shadow of the doorway as she and Wyatt greet the rest of the party.

Seven plumes of smoke now, I'm not certain what made them. She shakes her head. I'm beginning to think letting those conscripts go was a bad idea. Anyways, we left Harold in there with Johannes. I figure if anyone can talk him around Joh can. I think I'll stay on guard out here with Arum and maybe Wyatt. Truthfully, I think we're about all out of patience with Harold and we might say some things we shouldn't if we all go in there.

25. - Top - End - #1525
    Troll in the Playground

A Programming Note from your Friendly Neighborhood Dungeon Master

We're going to be adding some new players over the next few days. They will be taking over players who has departed or not posted for a long time and I am regrettably forced to replace. As most of you know, I hate losing players but what can we do?

When I posted on the recruiting thread, I was surprised to learn at least a couple of the new players had followed this campaign for awhile. That really flattered me. That we have gone this long and are still going strong is pretty cool around here. Special thanks to Syenna (Arman), BChilders (Magnum) and NoxMagnus (Arum) who have been here since the beginning.

Without further delay, I welcome the following new guys...

WereWhale - Playing Nalrak Ironfist
    DJDeMiko - Playing Grathalmor Ironfist
    Gordondantess - Playing Johannes Forgeteller
    PId6 - Playing Hjalmar Crownshield

An IC note with Hjalmar - I never really wanted to leave that PC behind, but at the time he was one NPC too many for me to run. Please assume he has been here all along and retro-include him. He just did not really do anything and was quiet.

To keep this thread clean though, please post welcomes and all that on the under utilized OOC forum at http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t=60703&page=7
    Last edited by mshady; 2009-07-24 at 03:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1526
    Troll in the Playground

Sable and Wyatt lead the way through the town. With Sable on the roof tops, Wyatt is able to scale the other two barricades without getting feathered once again. Sable keeps an eye on the plumes of smoke as they curl into the air and wonders what the hell is going on. From her vantage point atop the five story roof, she can see flames boiling out of one of the tenement fires. No signs of catapults shooting balls of flaming pitch can be seen, or anything else to indicate the Blood Company was battering the area.

So what is going on over there? Do I want to know?

The main formation of the party trails far behind her and Wyatt in the streets. They both provide over watch as they deal with the barricades. Rather than using magic this time to pulverize the barricades, Carmard has those that have not been poisoned to simply knock down the barricades. Or knock it down. The rest of the group stays back behind cover, with their crossbows out. For his part, Carmard stands out in the open with his hammer both inviting and watching for trouble. It takes several minutes for each barricade to be torn down, but the streets remain quiet except for the steady work of dwarves. Under a different circumstance, a work song would have been sung perhaps but now only a strung bow or crossbow whistles in the slight wind of the area. No one is much for talking at this point.

Each time, Sable maintains her vigil above. Her bow is half drawn and eyes sharp. The tenements in the area all seem to be abandonment. The only life she sees in the area is a cat sitting in a 3rd story window, who no doubt had the most cause to be paranoid in a starving town and was enjoying the solitude.

The group moves down the main road and finally meets up with Thordek and Arum. Few pleasantries are exchanged initially. Thordek walks side by side with Carmard and the Arcanii listens to a basic report on how things went with Harold; not well. Carmard in turn explains the ambushes on the way to the Block House and why their arrival had been delayed. It is not a happy conversation for either.

Sable continues until the house Harold holed himself up inside is in sight. Signaling down to Wyatt to hold position they wait for the main group to catch up with them. She has just enough time to walk down the stairs before the group catches up. She steps out of the shadow of the doorway as she and Wyatt greet the rest of the party.
    Carmard and Thordek stand together at the edge of the debris field. He watches the Block House through a spyglass for several minutes before passing the spy glass over to Thordek. Atop the building, someone who looks like a Lieutenant they had saw before watches them in return. No effort to signal them to approach is made, although both Carmard and Thordek can see a soldier with a banner next to the lieutenant. Sable waits for Carmard to finish what he is doing rather than interrupt him with a report before he wanted it. Eventually he waves the scout over. He looks at her with his usual look of detached analysis and a piercing look that is not quite a glare. With slight two fingered wave of his hand, he indicates to Sable that she begins.

“Seven plumes of smoke now, I'm not certain what made them. She shakes her head. I'm beginning to think letting those conscripts go was a bad idea. Anyways, we left Harold in there with Johannes. I figure if anyone can talk him around Joh can. I think I'll stay on guard out here with Arum and maybe Wyatt. Truthfully, I think we're about all out of patience with Harold and we might say some things we shouldn't if we all go in there”
    Carmard listens to that and nods in agreement, but waits before he speaks as he mulls over what to say.

“I think ye may be right, lass. We'll worry about the smoke if its our problem. My own patience wears...thin with him. It be wear’n thin with this whole town. His work has poisoned most of us. A man in his twilight can be a… desperate old thing. Desperate and bound to fits o’paranoia and lack o’sense. I do hope ‘Joh’ can talk him around…” Carmard says, emphasizing the nickname with a slight smile but otherwise has a tone of speculative worry. “Holed up in a building with his protectors and a crossbow for every window, we may well have given Harold a hostage”

Carmard sighs and gestures at the Block House with his thumb and frowns. He now turns to the group and addresses them all.

“Problems in Way Ward just do not end. Thordek and Sable say Harold has holed up in one of the buildings at the edge o yon rubble field. Fact: We cannot advance across that rubble field without the portal key. They’ll shoot otherwise, and no point com’n across without it. Fact: Harold knows that. Fact: Harold wanted us to delay. Fact: Johannes is alone over there. Fact: He’d make a good hostage, thus forcing our delay.”
    Carmard frowns deeply at that realization.

“Assuming Harold would do that, of course” Carmard says with a sardonic smile. “I can see why Hextros wants to leave so badly. That turbulent old priest must have driven him to madness. We all go over and we ask for him to join us, as he promised. I want to see Johannes. If they won’t…”

Carmard pauses for effect and frowns. His eyes are hard and eyelids narrowed. That was definitely Carmard’s dangerous look.

“We assault the building” he states flatly. “Johannes will have to fend for his own beard. Moradin protect his soul. As for Harold…” Carmard shrugs. “His fate is his own making. May Moradin forgive the small sin for the greater cause”

27. - Top - End - #1527
    Orc in the Playground

Nalrak speaks up: "I've little sympathy fer the hound that bites the hand that feeds it, but Sable, if we have ter assault, can't ye do somethin' fer Johannes like ye did when ye rescued the wee ones from the orcs?"

28. - Top - End - #1528
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Sable looks at Carmard with a slight frown. Shouldn't we give them the opportunity to turn over Johannes and the portal key without attacking first? They have to know that if they hold him hostage they're gonna have a fight on their hands.

She sighs and runs a hand through her hair brushing a few loose strands back behind an ear and looks at Nalrak. I'm running low on resources, but yes, if it comes down to them holding Joh hostage I'll get him out of there. If nothing else I can make it seem like the building is on fire with some smoke and a little illusion. While they're dealing with that I should be able to get him out of the building.

29. - Top - End - #1529
    Troll in the Playground

Carmard nods grimly to Sable. He almost looks hurt for a second by the question. Blink and you'd miss it, though.

"I'm nay gonna assault them before a chance to turn'em over and fulfill his Oath to help us" he says, than pauses. He runs a hand through his beard and frowns. "Bein' amongst the righteous is no help here with Harold. In his mind, he will think we won't do it. He just be wantin' us to stay on a day or two longer. He'll call any bluff we make, because he nay thinks a Holy Order will make good on any threats. In Harold's mind, he has a hold over us now. In Harold's mind, everythin' MUST be his way."

Carmard pauses again and shakes his head, mulling what he is about to say. His tone is calm and quiet when he speaks next.

"Harold does not... understand the gravity of our task. I cannae afford to bluff on this. Pray to Moradin he won't kill Johannes. Pray to Moradin I'm just paranoid"

30. - Top - End - #1530
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I hope you're right too. And for what it's worth I'm sorry I wasn't more help with the old coot, but how can you talk sense into someone who won't see sense? And though I understand it might be a necessity, I'm loath to hurt any more of the villagers, they're only victims here. They trust Harold, and he doesn't trust us, doesn't mean they deserve to lose even more then they've already have.... Even so, I guess our mission must take first place in our concerns no matter what.

Thordrek shakes his head sadly, and, more to occupy his hands then anything else, fiddles with his gear, and smooths nonexistent burrs on the shiny black head of his axe with a whetstone.