New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [M&M 2e] creating Lich, ran into problem

The title is kinda self explanatory so I'll move right into my problem, which i can't find the ruling on in the book;

She has a nonexistent constitution score but is not immue to fortitude saves. Most things that require fort saves outside of powers she is immune to but she is going to need to save eventually. Toughness is another stumbling block as it is derived from constitution. The book makes a point of establishing that a nonexistent score is not the same as a 0 in a score. And most games make a point of divorcing a constitution check from a save/skill that uses constitution (often simply going with a +0 for nonexistent score).

Normally a creature missing constitution fails all constitution checks. That remains unchanged but does that mean she has a -5 in fort and toughness? Or perhaps does she simply fail fort saves and toughness rolls?

= = = = =

Also her phylactery is built as a device, easy to lose (being a large coffin strength deficient people might encounter problems but still an object you can run off with) with many ranks in regeneration. Do you think i built it right? Does she (or what's left) need to be in the coffin to generate a new body?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Default Re: [M&M 2e] creating Lich, ran into problem

Quote Originally Posted by Alcore View Post
    The title is kinda self explanatory so I'll move right into my problem, which i can't find the ruling on in the book;

She has a nonexistent constitution score but is not immue to fortitude saves. Most things that require fort saves outside of powers she is immune to but she is going to need to save eventually. Toughness is another stumbling block as it is derived from constitution. The book makes a point of establishing that a nonexistent score is not the same as a 0 in a score. And most games make a point of divorcing a constitution check from a save/skill that uses constitution (often simply going with a +0 for nonexistent score).

Normally a creature missing constitution fails all constitution checks. That remains unchanged but does that mean she has a -5 in fort and toughness? Or perhaps does she simply fail fort saves and toughness rolls?
    Check the rules for constructs. It has been a while since I used 2E, but I'm pretty sure a score of Nil rather than providing a -5 penalty, just does nothing. This can range from autosucess to autofailure. As a construct though the lich can buy Toughness directly, something that normally isn't allowed.

Mind, you that's because the missing scores of Con, Int, and Cha offset buying Immunity: Fortitude Effects.

So by default if there is no Con score, the lich fails Fort saves as they literally can't pass them.

Also her phylactery is built as a device, easy to lose (being a large coffin strength deficient people might encounter problems but still an object you can run off with) with many ranks in regeneration. Do you think i built it right? Does she (or what's left) need to be in the coffin to generate a new body?
    As a badguy I'd be included to not do the phylactery as a discrete effect, and leave it up to what works at the time. If you insist I'd go with a Drawback on something like regeneration.