New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Most Powerful of the Jedi / Sith?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    My point was, mistakes that don't have consequences have less dramatic weight.

Rey's faults so far haven't bounced back on her, and led only to good outcomes, ie. the rathtars escape and eat the enemy pirates. Narratively, that sucks out a lot of tension, because it's hard to fear for someone when their successes and failures don't seem to have any negative consequences.
    That's like saying Han getting captured by Boba Fett didn't have consequences because it directly led to Jabba being killed and Lando blowing up the second Death Star, though.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Did you watch all of those while they were in theaters? I suppose watching old 80s movies after the 80’s biases you because you already have an idea of which one of the three became enshrined as the greatest space epic and spawned the largest following and franchise.
    Although I'm told I saw them in the theater, my memory of viewing them was on BETA or VHS after Reagan got elected.

I think a Star Wars vs Star Trek debate is interesting given the repetitive "fan hatred" of any post 1990 Star Wars movie but admiration of the animated series.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MarkVIIIMarc View Post
    Although I'm told I saw them in the theater, my memory of viewing them was on BETA or VHS after Reagan got elected.

I think a Star Wars vs Star Trek debate is interesting given the repetitive "fan hatred" of any post 1990 Star Wars movie but admiration of the animated series.
    Trekkies are just as condescending towards their own franchise. Star Trek: The Motion Picture isn't regarded as good, and there's almost no Star Trek material since 1999 (the end of DS9) without a significant hatedom. The new Star Trek movies are typically called out for being "not Star Trek". Ditto Discovery.

It's a wonder they keep trying to make material for either franchise, honestly. I guess it comes down to the silent majority - enough people like the stuff that they make money, but are outside the hardcore fan demographic.