New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Zene's Paper Chase IC

For the record, I'll be using the 36 you rolled earlier as I don't want to have too much rerolling.
    ----

Arnoldsberg, 5:33 PM, October 2nd, 1921

You return to the newspaper, and head down below. Given the state that the morgue is in, you take quite a bit of time searching through to find the information regarding the previous article. Eventually, after skimming over a set of notes relating to: "Local Donor Gives One Book to Library!" you manage to uncover a set of notes appears to have some intriguing information...
    Spoiler: Set of Notes
    Show

Artie comes by right as you finish reading, and she fires off "Oh! You're still here; I was almost going to close up on you, so it's a good thing you didn't stay too much longer; hope you found what you wanted, as I'm happy to help out a fellow journalist; anyway, I'm locking everything up so you better head out!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

I’ll head back to the house. If there’s still daylight, I’ll pass through the graveyard again, this time looking for anything that could House an entrance to underground tunnels; a mausoleum, large bush, maintenance house, etc.

(Spot hidden roll, if needed: (d100)[59] )

If there’s no daylight; or I don’t find anything, I’ll head back to the house.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You pass by the graveyard once more. The gardener is even more confused as most people don't come to the graveyard, much less twice in one day. Nevertheless, you poke in several of the many mausoleums and still find nothing.

Arnoldsberg, 6:29 PM, October 2nd, 1921

As you enter, both Mary and Thomas are preparing for dinner: a nice meal of mutton, potatoes, beets, and a roll. Thomas looks over in your direction, "How's the investigation going? Were you, um able to find anything about those... tunnels?" You see him muster up the courage to actually mention such things. Mary, not having heard about these tunnels previously looks over at her husband like he's in an even worse state than he already is.

Trying to lighten the mood, Mary comments: "Would you like to have some dinner, we prepared for three, of course."

4. - Top - End - #94

DruidGirl

Nothing about the tunnels, unfortunately. I fear that may be a dead-end. But I’d like to review the journal and my notes, and think on it overnight. Maybe some other path will appear.

Mary, dinner sounds wonderful. Thanks to the both of you for your hospitality. I apologize I’ve been able to find so little.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Reminder that the motorcoach leaves tomorrow morning.
    ----

Mary shakes her head, "You've been most kind to Thomas and I, Yitzhak, and from what I've heard, you've managed to uncover his uncle's journal." She looks towards her husbands, "Although I too find the portions you described to him... strange, at the very least, despite whatever ramblings happened later in his life, we have something to remember him by, isn't that right, Thomas?"
    Thomas nods, agreeing with his wife, "Yes, and well, with you on the case, and actually finding things out about what's happened, things have somewhat settled down. My uncle is simply gone from this earth, some burglars stole his books, and that's that... Plus with his writings I'll at least have something the family can share as his 'goodbye' message." However, as he finishes, he realizes something. "You know, um, Yit... Izzy, I realized that maybe it's possible that the thief might return... just to, I don't know, comfort us," He puts his arm around his wife's shoulder. "If it's not too much trouble, I mean, um, could you maybe watch the house? Just in case whoever stole such items returns for more valuable ones?" Mary looks rather surprised at her husband's bold endeavor, but a slight smile replaces it, her husband is finally regaining his inner strength from the traumatizing events from the past.
    "Of course, you don't have to. I'm sure that Thomas only means that it would give us a great amount of security if you were to help us in this way." She nods, trying to make sure you understand.

6. - Top - End - #96

DruidGirl

I’m not sure what you mean. Watch the house, as in stay here? For how long? I’m afraid my return ticket is booked for tomorrow morning...

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thomas shakes his head, "Oh, sorry, um, you misunderstand me. I mean a, um, sort of from maybe the outside?" (huh, apparently stake-out wasn't really popularized until the 1940's). He looks confused, unsure if he's clearly getting his point across.
    Mary shakes her head. "I think what Thomas means is just observing the house during the night to make sure that this burglar doesn't return. I don't know if this single event will help, but..." She looks towards Thomas, who smiles faintly. "I hope it will."

8. - Top - End - #98

DruidGirl

Ah, I understand now—that’s a dilly of an idea! I’d be happy to.

I’ll ask if I can brew up some coffee; and if there’s a chair and a dark-colored blanket they wouldn’t mind me using. I’ll then go scope out a good vantage point of the window (and the graveyard). If there’s a place with cover, even better.

What’s the light situation outside? If I recall from the prior night, it was a new moon. No streetlights out here in the countryside, I presume?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You see the couple breathe an audible sigh of relief. Maybe finally they'll have some peace and quiet. The dinner turns lighter, as both appear to be more comfortable now that your investigation is coming to a close. The conversation picks up with a recounting of rather humorous moments Mary has had while serving as a serviceboard operator ("The things people say over the phone, why I'd imagine much less embaressing events would occur if they realized everything they said could be heard by anybody." [huh...]).
    Nevertheless, eventually dinner winds down. You manage to get a nice cup of coffee, an aluminum folding chair, and a kerosene lantern just in case you need to see in the dead of night (also yes October 2nd, 1921 was apparently a new moon, and there aren't really any streetlights, especially this far from the center of town).

Arnoldsberg, 7:15 PM, October 2nd, 1921

You wait outside, looking towards the study and the graveyard. Ever so slowly, the evening shifts to night, and the outside grows darker. However, the night grows ever longer, the lack of moonlight sends everything into pitch black, and you begin to become bored and distracted, this stakeout seems like an eternity.
    ----

Please give me a Constitution roll with a bonus die because coffee!

10. - Top - End - #100

DruidGirl

Constitution: (d100)[7]
    Bonus: (d10)[8]

11. - Top - End - #101

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zene View Post
    Constitution: [roll0]
    Bonus: [roll1]
    Oy Vey! What’s in this coffee?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well... that's an extreme pass so you're incredibly alert.
    ----

This coffee is clearly the bee's knees, as you feel buzzed (heh) and rush off to do your work, observing the cemetery, the household, but especially the window to the study. You watch... and you watch... and you watch...

Arnoldsberg, 9:48 PM, October 2nd, 1921

The energy from the coffee keeps you up for several hours, as you stave the boredom off by reciting the Torah (random example). Suddenly, your watching proves useful... you see a figure, it must have snuck past your vision in the dark of night, but you see it now with the flash of your lantern as it leaps out of the window carrying a stack of books, and begins to rush off towards the graveyard...
    (ignore the moon)
    ----

What do you do?

13. - Top - End - #103

DruidGirl

I grab the lantern (still unlit) and try to quickly and quietly follow the figure. If it’s moving too fast for me to follow quietly, I’ll burst into a run. I want to make sure I see exactly where it goes, if it’s going to duck into a tunnel.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh... I had assumed that you had flashed your lantern in order to get a better view of the movement you were seeing (given that otherwise it would just look like some movement in the bushes). Erm... for now we'll say that you were able to see this because some candlelight was left on in the study?
    ----

You creep up towards the creature, until realizing that it knows the layout of the cemetery like the back of its hand and also is moving quite quickly. You're going to have to rush after it, but you still do your best to keep silent along with avoiding the lush vegetation of the graveyard which the figure seems to navigate with ease (you also notice the figure, although disappearing into the darkness, is headed towards the rear of the cemetery where the mausoleums and larger tombs are).
    ----

Please give me a combined Hard Stealth and Dexterity roll where you must succeed on both (but still one single d100 roll).

15. - Top - End - #105

DruidGirl

Ah, my apologies! I missed that you said I’d seen it via the lantern. But yes, this works.

Izzy tries to channel the speed and sure-footedness of the Maccabees; fully aware that his life of quiet study in the hearts of big cities was probably not the best preparation for this moment.

(d100)[98]

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Welp, that's a fumble.
    ----

Summoning the strength of your heritage... you trip over a root you fall to the ground with a sudden CRASH. You also hear the sound of a certain glass item you're holding shattering. The figure turns, and for a moment the far-away light from the study illuminates the figure's glasses as it breaks off into a sprint, dashing almost out of view. There's almost certainly no way that you're going to catch all the way up to it at this point, and to be honest, it's escaping from your weak human vision (if only you were a dwarf! ).

17. - Top - End - #107

DruidGirl

"Wait!"I call after him."I must speak with you!"
    If he doesn't respond to that, I follow it with"I can bring you new books!"

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As you call out the figure pauses for a moment and is about to turn around disregarding your initial cry when you make your second declaration. It's interest seems piqued as it halts for but a moment; however, you're able to just barely see it shake its bald head as if coming to some sort of conclusion. It turns and heads off, albeit seemingly saddened by this "conversation." You get to your feet and try and get closer, but the distance is still great. At this point the figure seems to have reached its destination, and you realize that it's only a matter of time before it makes its escape...
    ----

What do you do...?

19. - Top - End - #109

DruidGirl

I run after him, or in the direction I last saw him heading if I can't see him.

"Your family! I just need to know what to tell them--they're going to keep looking otherwise... "

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, looks like ya' figured it out (admittedly you also figured it out in the beginning, but shrug).
    ----

The figure moves away from the mausoleum door, as it eventually ends up sitting on a tombstone and pulls out one of the books, seemingly waiting for you. As you approach, it comes fully into view.

As you then fully see it in its entirety, it sets down its book and says simply: "Let us speak." It is at this moment that you are certain, this... creature, with its rubbery-skin, hoof-like feet, canine features, and terribly sharp claws, is (somehow) without a doubt, Douglas Kimball.
    ----

Please give me a Sanity roll.

21. - Top - End - #111

DruidGirl

[roll0]

As I gasp for breath...I hold my hands slightly up, palms open, in a "I'm not holding anything I'm not a threat" motion...

"What.... what are--"

--hold on, that's not the way to get him to talk to you--

"I...I know you don't like company, so I'll keep this brief. My name is Yitzhak, and, um... I too, have spent most of my life, dedicated to the written word... I found your journal... Will you talk with me for a short while?"

22. - Top - End - #112

DruidGirl

Heh, can't even preview with a roll, huh?

here goes for real, Sanity roll: (d100)[97]

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That is sadly a failure, which means that Izzy has lost 2 sanity, and because you failed the roll, I take an involuntary action for you.
    ----

You let out a sudden, ear-piercing scream as she sees the inhuman creature standing in front of you. This... creature is Douglas Kimball? The man who loved books? The uncle to someone whose house he's staying in, he had a family... how could it be...?

Eventually, you manage to calm yourself down, while Douglas simply raises an eyebrow during your screams and mental exchange. He gives you a moment to gather yourself and calm down, only to finish by plainly asking: "Are you done?"

Quote Originally Posted by Zene View Post
    As I gasp for breath...I hold my hands slightly up, palms open, in a "I'm not holding anything I'm not a threat" motion...

"What.... what are--"

--hold on, that's not the way to get him to talk to you--

"I...I know you don't like company, so I'll keep this brief. My name is Yitzhak, and, um... I too, have spent most of my life, dedicated to the written word... I found your journal... Will you talk with me for a short while?"
    The thing that once was, or is Douglas Kimball, smiles a toothy smile, inside you see a row of horribly sharp teeth, and you cannot help but think of if a wolf's mouth was somehow transfused into a humans... The thought makes you nauseous.
    It responds to your initial attempt at communication first. "Do not worry... such is an appropriate response I have expected amongst your kind, but have no fear. I am still me; although, speaking of which... who are you?"

As you then try and restart the conversation the creature looks at you like a dingo watches a human baby. "Splendid to make your acquaintance, Yitzhak. Hebrew, I believe? If I'm not mistaken the meaning translates to something along the lines of laughter, no?" You notice that despite its obvious physical changes, its enunciation is spotless. This creature clearly has a near-perfect understanding of the English language. "But it is glad to finally meet a peer. Nevertheless, your query. I would be happy to talk for a while, although I must leave before the rising of the sun, so hopefully your definition of short while is equivalent to what I presume to be under... eight and a half hours or so by my estimate."
    ----

Give me a Psychology roll.

24. - Top - End - #114

DruidGirl

Psychology: (d100)[30]

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You gather that this creature has not spoken in a full-on conversation in an incredibly long time.
    ----

I was going to make this a spoiler, so that my post wouldn't just be this, but then I sorta... fell asleep.

26. - Top - End - #116

DruidGirl

I chuckle nervously.

"8 hours should more than suffice. And yes you're absolutely right, Yitzhak translates to 'He will laugh'."

"How did you accomplish this... transformation? And why?"

"Where did you go?"

"Are there others like you?"
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-16 at 11:02 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The creature nods, "I surmised as much." As you begin to ask the questions he follows you, but you cannot help but shiver as he clacks his claws together while you speak.
    Once you finish, the creature that was at one point Douglas Kimball, but still might be, straightens its back and clears its throat. "I'm afraid, my good sir, that I was just too tired of my mundane existence among... well... all of you. The only thing which I desired was to be left alone and to read my books." It subsequently looks down at the pile of books which it "stole."
    "I wished for this, and yet no matter what would happen, everyone would be constantly making demands on me, sending me mail, bills, and whatnot." It then looks towards the mausoleum into which it was heading towards. "So I ventured below, and now life is splendid. I need not for money, suits are not required for a dinner, I don't have to meet people, although yes there are 'others' per se, and being around the others is fine at mealtimes, but most importantly... I may read whenever I want." The creature smiles as it makes that last declaration, showing a row of massively sharp knives for teeth, and you get a feeling that if it wanted to, it could most likely bite a chunk of your head off.

28. - Top - End - #118

DruidGirl

"That's great! I'm glad you found a place you are happy with. But, why do you appear so different?"

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The creature takes on a puzzled complexion, it's pointy ears wiggling seemingly of their own accord. "A byproduct of my prolonged exposure to the world below, I presume." It then stares at you pointedly, its features becoming rigid as it bores into you. "You mentioned, Yitzhak, something concerning my family? I presume Thomas noticed my 'intrusions,' then?" It subconsciously stamps its hooves. "I had hoped he would not discover my 'thievery,' but that seems all for naught if they are apparently searching for me..."

30. - Top - End - #120

DruidGirl

I wither a little under his inhuman stare.

"Yes. They asked me to come out to investigate the missing books, as well as to look into your disappearance."