New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Thufir's Third Random Banter #224

Well I feel like ****.

Apparently not only does my social anxiety and lack of consistent days off affect my ability to meet people, my best friend who's been in too much pain to see me for three months isn't in too much pain to get into a new relationship. So I bloody well know where I stand in the grand scheme of things now, maybe I should just **** off and leave you alone.

I just feel like ****, and wish I didn't have so many friends who insist that I have to work it out myself, even if they didn't do so. 'Stop complaining about how you never get to meet people, and just go out there and meet people' (gee, thanks, guess I'll just magically have the time to attended clubs with any degree of regularity).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Well I feel like ****.

Apparently not only does my social anxiety and lack of consistent days off affect my ability to meet people, my best friend who's been in too much pain to see me for three months isn't in too much pain to get into a new relationship. So I bloody well know where I stand in the grand scheme of things now, maybe I should just **** off and leave you alone.

I just feel like ****, and wish I didn't have so many friends who insist that I have to work it out myself, even if they didn't do so. 'Stop complaining about how you never get to meet people, and just go out there and meet people' (gee, thanks, guess I'll just magically have the time to attended clubs with any degree of regularity).
    *I transform back to Bartmanhomer.*

Sorry to hear that. I hope I wish you well. Didn't you mention that you have Autism?

3. - Top - End - #603
    Colossus in the Playground

Well I feel like ****.

This is a tough situation because being in chronic pain sucks, so having to pick and choose who you hang out with because you're pretty limited on who you can hang out with it pretty valid. But you're not wrong that it at least feels like your friends are all kinda jerks to you.

Now I've only know you from this side of things, maybe they're just not as patient as some people are with you when you're hurting. I know I've had some friends who were absolutely miserable to be around when they were in a bad mood, and maybe that's part of it for you? Without realizing it, without intending it, you might partly be pushing people away due to your bad mood infecting basically everything. Which of course is a feedback loop, and terrible, and I do think people should be more patient with people who've got clear mental stress going on.

The only thing I can really do is hold out my hand and say that I do think, overall, it'd suck to have you leave. You're a cool guy, you're just going through some **** and need help, and most of the advice you've gotten isn't really workable or just hasn't worked yet. So I'll be rooting for you, as much as that matters.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I hope I wish you well. Didn't you mention that you have Autism?
    Well let me know once you've worked out if you wish me well!

And yeah, I'm one of the board autistics, I think we're fairly commonish here? Although I think one might be going through transformations, it's hard to keep track.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    This is a tough situation because being in chronic pain sucks, so having to pick and choose who you hang out with because you're pretty limited on who you can hang out with it pretty valid. But you're not wrong that it at least feels like your friends are all kinda jerks to you.

Now I've only know you from this side of things, maybe they're just not as patient as some people are with you when you're hurting. I know I've had some friends who were absolutely miserable to be around when they were in a bad mood, and maybe that's part of it for you? Without realizing it, without intending it, you might partly be pushing people away due to your bad mood infecting basically everything. Which of course is a feedback loop, and terrible, and I do think people should be more patient with people who've got clear mental stress going on.

The only thing I can really do is hold out my hand and say that I do think, overall, it'd suck to have you leave. You're a cool guy, you're just going through some **** and need help, and most of the advice you've gotten isn't really workable or just hasn't worked yet. So I'll be rooting for you, as much as that matters.
    Thanks, I get what you mean, I know I can be a drain and have a somewhat volatile temper these days. It just succks because I have such problems spending time with people, I rarely even get invited to group outings because I always foundf it hard to get into these cliques that people are fond of.

ETA: to clarify, I wasn't talking about leaving the forum, that was meant as more 'here I kind of want to say to my friend "oh, I'm not wanted? Maybe I'll just go then".'
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-10-29 at 06:30 PM.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well I feel like ****.

That sucks. It definitely isn't your fault.

When someone has depression and anxiety problems they require more emotional support and provide less for others, and emotional support costs people. It is why we talk about being a mother as being extremely difficult; you are expected to be giving for decades. Eventually people get burned out and incapable of providing more support (remember they have a whole bevy of people they support and they all cost something.) With long term depression and anxiety problems this means that people burnout and stop providing support, and then you are left on your own when you need yet more support.

It definitely isn't fair to you that you have those issues, but people also don't have unlimited resources to help you. Their placing boundaries on how much they are capable of giving you comes across as them providing you inadequate help, but it also is necessary for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I love healthy foods. My favourite food is broccoli/chicken pizza.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Over the weekend I learned that I can't bowl since I've had hand surgery. About two years ago, I got a metal plate in one of my metacarpals. As it happens, bowling really hurts now.
    That's horrible. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
    I, too, would like to hope for a speedy recovery! Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Oh no D:

I hope things turn around for you, that sucks. I don't suppose using your other hand will help either...
    I think that requires a ball with a different hole configuration and will be like learning to bowl all over again.

I was to be born from the Outlands in another plane until my family moved to Planet Earth.
    you ought to visit roadrunnerlandia.

I love healthy foods. My favorite food is broccoli/chicken pizza.
    I like steamed broccoli with hollandaise sauce.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

I love healthy foods. My favourite food is broccoli/chicken pizza.
    Honestly, pizza has some problems, especially US-style. Overuse of cheese is a big one, as is the fact that implied portion sizes are mpre than healthy ones (one commercialsized slice, maybe two, is a portion). Also I like my pizza with less toppings these days.

Oh, and Mapo Dofu is te far superior food.

Show

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    I like steamed broccoli with hollandaise sauce.
    Yum. What's hollandaise sauce taste like?

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

Butter, mostly. It's kind of a variant of mayonnaise - egg yolks plus some spices/flavorings (usually lemon) beaten into a sauce in combination with a fat. Hollandaise is more liquidy so it can be poured over things instead of spread like mayo.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Butter, mostly. It's kind of a variant of mayonnaise - egg yolks plus some spices/flavorings (usually lemon) beaten into a sauce in combination with a fat. Hollandaise is more liquidy so it can be poured over things instead of spread like mayo.
    Awesome sauce. I'll try it sometime.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

as is the fact that implied portion sizes are mpre than healthy ones
    I feel like that's a problem with much, much more than Pizza.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I feel like that's a problem with much, much more than Pizza.
    Oh, it's everywhere, but pizza is one of the worst I've seen. I've seen suggestions that a 'standard' portion of pizza is two or more healthy portions before, with most other things it doesn't go above an additional 50%.

Unless you're in America, where the standard portion seems to be about two and a half times the size of an English portion. Yes, I know this is actually to do with slight differences in culture and expectations when dining out, and not actually a case of 'Americans eat much more food'.

Show

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Honestly, pizza has some problems, especially US-style. Overuse of cheese is a big one, as is the fact that implied portion sizes are mpre than healthy ones (one commercialsized slice, maybe two, is a portion). Also I like my pizza with less toppings these days.

Oh, and Mapo Dofu is te far superior food.
    What's Mapo Dofu?

15. - Top - End - #615
    Barbarian in the Playground

it tastes like heaven.Chedder cheese, heavy whipping cream, eggs, white pepper, butter .. .. .. and that is only what I remember off the top of my head
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

16. - Top - End - #616
    Troll in the Playground

All I remember of hollandaise is having to wash the stupid tiny jars of it out at an old job as a dishwasher. Every week or whatever the restaurant'd get a dozen small jars of it (rather than, like, one big one), and then when those were gone they needed to be rinsed. And because they were so small, they were a pain to clean due to the angles the jars had. Frustrating.

(It's also why I have a loathing for Eggs Benedict, because of the awful consistency it caked onto the dishes with.)

17. - Top - End - #617
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Unless you're in America, where the standard portion seems to be about two and a half times the size of an English portion.
    Please, sir, may I have some more?
    (It's also why I have a loathing for Eggs Benedict, because of the awful consistency it caked onto the dishes with.)
    As a vehement lover of Eggs Benedict, I apologize for the difficulty of cleaning it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

All I remember of hollandaise is having to wash the stupid tiny jars of it out at an old job as a dishwasher. Every week or whatever the restaurant'd get a dozen small jars of it (rather than, like, one big one), and then when those were gone they needed to be rinsed. And because they were so small, they were a pain to clean due to the angles the jars had. Frustrating.
    I suspect that lots of little jars might have been about not having one jar sitting around for a week going off, because I remember hollandaise going off quickly. Although I suppose if you're jarring it instead of making it fresh it might keep longer.

It's as much of a pain to make as mayonnaise is anyway. Mustards powder, egg, too much oil... (I achieved unrunny mayo once before I gave up.)

Good, at least you won't try to pinch my eggs

Show

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Please, sir, may I have some more?
    More?! Oliver Twist reference.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'm not entirely sure what it was, but my mom made what I think of as broccoli Latkas, with fried Latkas and cheese on a skillet and they're really good. I imagine they'd be better with Hollandaise sauce as well. Other than that I'm not really a fan of broccoli. Eggs Benedict on the other hand…
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what it was, but my mom made what I think of as broccoli Latkas, with fried Latkas and cheese on a skillet and they're really good. I imagine they'd be better with Hollandaise sauce as well. Other than that I'm not really a fan of broccoli. Eggs Benedict on the other hand…
    Latkas sounds like a Pokemon name.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

I suspect that lots of little jars might have been about not having one jar sitting around for a week going off, because I remember hollandaise going off quickly. Although I suppose if you're jarring it instead of making it fresh it might keep longer.
    It just seemed odd to me that there was nothing larger got, because it was a very consistent amount that was gone through, and one would think one larger jar would be easier for transport and cheaper. But... what do I know?

Good, at least you won't try to pinch my eggs
    To be frank (and I'm not - sorry about the identity theft, Frank), I've not really enjoyed eggs much since my times working at McDonalds in the kitchen. When you have to crack and serve literally around 300 eggs per day, and smell them through your entire shift because of the stupid all day breakfast stuff... it's enough to really, really put you off eggs. I've finally gotten around to being able to stomach them again (I do love me a good scrambled)… but I'll still not actively seek them out.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

It just seemed odd to me that there was nothing larger got, because it was a very consistent amount that was gone through, and one would think one larger jar would be easier for transport and cheaper. But... what do I know?

To be frank (and I'm not - sorry about the identity theft, Frank), I've not really enjoyed eggs much since my times working at McDonald's in the kitchen. When you have to crack and serve literally around 300 eggs per day and smell them through your entire shift because of the stupid all-day breakfast stuff... it's enough to really, really put you off eggs. I've finally gotten around to being able to stomach them again (I do love me a good scrambled)… but I'll still not actively seek them out.
    McDonald isn't healthy anyway. I use to eat all the fast food until I gain so many pounds.

24. - Top - End - #624

To be frank (and I'm not - sorry about the identity theft, Frank), I've not really enjoyed eggs much since my times working at McDonalds in the kitchen. When you have to crack and serve literally around 300 eggs per day, and smell them through your entire shift because of the stupid all day breakfast stuff... it's enough to really, really put you off eggs.
    A.) Wait, McDonald's uses actual eggs in the restaurant itself?

2.) You should have disabled your olfactory sensors. This is why you can never take away the human element, the robots will always need troubleshooting.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

2.) You should have disabled your olfactory sensors. This is why you can never take away the human element, the robots will always need troubleshooting.
    Speaking of machines, did you all know that you have to order your food by the machine instead of ordering your food at the cashier now at McDonald's?

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

Well. Unpleasant things for several people; AnonymousWizard, I hope things start going better for however that would mean for you; The Fury, I hope you... well, "metal plate in bone makes bowling painful" doesn't seem like something that will improve, but I hope you work something out? Maybe bowling with the other hand, or a lighter ball, or two-handed? Not sure if the issue would be finger position or ball weight.

Myself, I've been working a Halloween costume of Gris since Saturday:
    Spoiler: image of source
    Show

Made a cape, bought a dress, using old pair of long johns for the leggings, no solution ready for the arms. Dress doesn't match as well as the cape but I do not have time to make a dress; it's taken me most of my free time since last Saturday just to do the cape.

May put up picture on Halloween. May not. I've been pretty good so far about not putting my picture online linked to the "Qwertystop" name.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #627

Speaking of machines, did you all know that you have to order your food by the machine instead of ordering your food at the cashier now at McDonald's?
    At yours, maybe. It's still cheaper to abuse hire people down here.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Troll in the Playground

A) ...yes. Yes they do. I know that it does surprise people, but they do use actual food in their, well, food.
    (I wouldn't exactly call their ice cream 'ice cream', but, other than that, the food is what it says it is. Well, except for Canadian bacon, which isn't bacon.)

2.) Corporate mandate. Everyone has to suffer equally.

I imagine some locations may have that, but here at least the machines are supplementary to biologicals. Since the cashiers also do front-end making of foodstuffs, it doesn't actually reduce any workers, thankfully, it just eases their workload. Which is good, when you have a target time of, like, 70 seconds for a customer or whatever.
    There's still the option to pay up front, though, if you don't like the machines, or are like me and prefer to use cash for it. (I do still use the machines to order, though, and take the ticket up front, because it's a lot easier to order exactly what you want - no risk of the cashier accidentally misunderstanding you.)

29. - Top - End - #629

A) ...yes. Yes they do. I know that it does surprise people, but they do use actual food in their, well, food.
    Imean, I'm not surprised it's egg. I'm just surprised it's cracked in house.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

At yours, maybe. It's still cheaper to abuse hire people down here.
    I imagine some locations may have that, but here at least the machines are supplementary to biologicals. Since the cashiers also do front-end making of foodstuffs, it doesn't actually reduce any workers, thankfully, it just eases their workload. Which is good, when you have a target time of, like, 70 seconds for a customer or whatever.
    There's still the option to pay upfront, though, if you don't like the machines, or are like me and prefer to use cash for it. (I do still use the machines to order, though, and take the ticket upfront, because it's a lot easier to order exactly what you want - no risk of the cashier accidentally misunderstanding you.)
    Yes, I understand that part about to ease everybody time (the customers and cashiers) Also this isn't the only place where machines do the workers job. Movie theatres especially in New York City there are machines you can buy tickets.