New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Thufir's Third Random Banter #224

My Brother sent me this message today:

Spoiler
    Show
    "Ok, we are setting up a very sneaky gag on Isabel for Thanksgiving…. I have her convinced that you want to make a special stuffing for the bird this year. She is horrified. She thinks you’ll try to stuff animals or jalapenos in it or something….
    But what I want you to do is convincingly display the 5 to 6 boxes of Kashi you are bringing me as the “base” material replacing bread crumbs….

We can have so much fun with this…."

that should give an idea of our mentality.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    My Brother sent me this message today:

Spoiler
    Show
    "Ok, we are setting up a very sneaky gag on Isabel for Thanksgiving…. I have her convinced that you want to make a special stuffing for the bird this year. She is horrified. She thinks you’ll try to stuff animals or jalapenos in it or something….
    But what I want you to do is convincingly display the 5 to 6 boxes of Kashi you are bringing me as the “base” material replacing bread crumbs….

We can have so much fun with this…."

that should give an idea of our mentality.
    Ah, sibling bants. Good tines.

I think our current plan though is to horrify our mum with the kinds of answers we enter in Fibbage and Quiplash (for the 'unusual dating site' question in Fibbage 2 two of us went for Singles with Shingles, while the other two went fir Singles with AIDS). Although to be fair we can sometomes be witty (my younger brother's suggestion for the worst thing to cook in a microwave? A bigger microwave).

Interstingly in Fibbage I tend to get more likes than points, I've won the Tumbs Cup more than I've come above third.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Most times get bent too easily. I like silver over stainless steel, but the cost really hits you.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I think our current plan though is to horrify our mum with the kinds of answers we enter in Fibbage and Quiplash (for the 'unusual dating site' question in Fibbage 2 two of us went for Singles with Shingles, while the other two went fir Singles with AIDS). Although to be fair we can sometomes be witty (my younger brother's suggestion for the worst thing to cook in a microwave? A bigger microwave).

Interstingly in Fibbage I tend to get more likes than points, I've won the Tumbs Cup more than I've come above third.
    The geometry alone on this is intense!

ION: Boy is developing database management tools not _nearly_ as sexy as it sounds.
    Last edited by Mith; 2019-11-15 at 10:08 PM.

5. - Top - End - #905

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    quite Mith-tical, that non-euclidean geometry.

Side employment:

sig thread is here

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

You mean your microwave doesn't have a portal to hyperspace?

Anyway, I've been watching the first series of Penn & Teller: Fool Us, and I have to say I find Wossy to be a much better host than Alyson Hannigan, which I think is mostly due to hosting being what he does. I'm just laughing so much more at his bits, and he feels like a much more important part of the shoqw.

But I started watching it because I'm thinking of giving magic another go. I think it might help me with the poor manual dexterity my dyspraxia has blessed me with, and I just enjoy sleight of hand so much.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

You mean your microwave doesn't have a portal to hyperspace?
    Mine does, but you still need to fit it through the door.

ION:
    I went to a "Time Traveller's Bazaar" today. I was hoping to find a good elven belt pouch, and kept my mind open for anything else I might come across. I returned home with a pouch I'm decently happy with, as well as a spoon and a drinking horn (both made from actual horn), a coif, a nobleman's jacket (which looks really risqué if worn without a shirt underneath), a hair clip with white flowers and a silver ring with a chain mail top side. All in all a quite respectable haul.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hyperspace Microwave Portal! Sounds like a nice ring to it. Ohh an idea for a TV show:

Spoiler: Idea For Hyperspace Microwave Portal
    Show
    My show will be about a bunch of people travel into another universe using a Hyperspace Microwave Portal. I hope this TV show will get an Emmy.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Mine does, but you still need to fit it through the door.

ION:
    I went to a "Time Traveller's Bazaar" today. I was hoping to find a good elven belt pouch, and kept my mind open for anything else I might come across. I returned home with a pouch I'm decently happy with, as well as a spoon and a drinking horn (both made from actual horn), a coif, a nobleman's jacket (which looks really risqué if worn without a shirt underneath), a hair clip with white flowers and a silver ring with a chain mail top side. All in all a quite respectable haul.
    Hauls like that always are.

I find that personally I have a hard time with spending money on items like that even if I know I would enjoy them. But I am always happy to admire good works so I find myself in shops like those staring at all the fine work.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

Hauls like that always are.

I find that personally I have a hard time with spending money on items like that even if I know I would enjoy them. But I am always happy to admire good works so I find myself in shops like those staring at all the fine work.
    I'm pretty much like this too. It took me three rounds around the stalls before I started buying things. Not because I'm reluctant to part with my money, I just need a lot of time to figure out what I want and why I want it.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

11. - Top - End - #911
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I thought I'd already replied to this, just noticed it never posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    recommend going swimming (with lots of just floating) instead.
    I consider that a standing order!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I'm pretty much like this too. It took me three rounds around the stalls before I started buying things. Not because I'm reluctant to part with my money, I just need a lot of time to figure out what I want and why I want it.
    That's not that bad. I have the issues of spending money on myself. Since I currently live with parents on a grad student income, I have a hard time mentally saying it's OK to spend money and not just save it.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I stay home from work today because housing was inspecting my house for lead paint? Lead paint? I don't even have kids and neither does my older brother. He told samples from the paint in my house to see if there's lead paint and going to update me for next month.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I stay home from work today because housing was inspecting my house for lead paint? Lead paint? I don't even have kids and neither does my older brother. He told samples from the paint in my house to see if there's lead paint and going to update me for next month.
    It's not just for child safety - lead-containing paint requires different safety procedures for removing it, so you need to know if it's present (if you have to chip/grind/sand any off the walls you end up creating lead-bearing dust, which is not something you want to breath, and you have to take extra measures to contain it and make sure you don't contaminate the rest of the living space with it.)

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    It's not just for child safety - lead-containing paint requires different safety procedures for removing it, so you need to know if it's present (if you have to chip/grind/sand any off the walls you end up creating lead-bearing dust, which is not something you want to breath, and you have to take extra measures to contain it and make sure you don't contaminate the rest of the living space with it.)
    Ok. I didn't know that.

16. - Top - End - #916

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post

or the environment.

Side employment:

sig thread is here

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

I've had a good couple of weeks, so it looks like it's time for my good friend 'lack of a relationship based saditude' to visit for a while. I just love those times.

It doesn't really help that my friends are mostly insistent on the 'oh, you'll find somebody soon' kind of comforting. I haven't made any new friends in over a year, how likely is it that I'll meet somebody, get to the point where I want to go out with them, and have them reciprocate. While at the same never being free to meet up, and never thinking I might be interested in group outings they're organising.

I know some of my problems are related to having a short temper, but that doesn't explain when I always have to be the first person to speak when meeting new people. I'm tired, and lonely, and scared, and when I try and solve any of that it feels like my friends are pushing me away.

Show

18. - Top - End - #918
    Colossus in the Playground

I don't really know what to tell you that'll help at this point. I think you're at that moment where you need to climb out of the pit yourself, so to speak. You can do it.

Unrelated there has been one singular, sole persisting fly in our office, the last fly alive in the north given the weather, and I had a dream about murdering it. I don't mean swatting it, or zapping it with one of those electro swatters, but I mean I caught it between my hands with a clap. It was a little hard, durable, strengthened by the winter snow, so while it was stunned I clapped on it again, and again. Afte the forth time I checked to be sure I was hitting it, and it was well and truly dead. I let it fall to the ground.

And then I told Blue that I air juggled that ****ing fly to death, then woke up.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey everybody. I have a great joke to tell you: if Spider-Man was living in Australia, people will be afraid of him.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-11-19 at 12:21 PM.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

@AnonymousWizard: I second Zodi's perspective here. This pit is something that really only you can help yourself with. Not just because of nuances with your life that either are not available to us or difficult to convey through text. But in my experience (finding myself noting similarities between your own posts and my personal thought processes at times), trying to have someone as an anchor point as a starting point is a futile exercise. Even if somone is willing to help you with all that you are struggling with, if they go away (for whatever reason), you will find yourself back where you started. You need to find some way to lay down foundations to build up from.

Realistically, that is what therapy and counselling is for. They give you the tools so that you shed baggage and build up foundations and boundaries in a way that allows for you to stand free of them. While a relationship _could_ do so, it would take a pretty rare person who could balance both roles in a healthy and equitable way. Yes, you should be able to lean on your partner, but only so much as they should be able to lean on them. If you think of getting into a relationship as pulling you out of the pit, then in my opinion, you do both of you a diservice.

They are their own person, not someone to raise you up.

You have the capacity to resolve these issues. You can work with people, you do have friends. You can gather yourself together, and get yourself to a better place.

As I understand, your schedule is kind of all over the place. If you can, try and set a routine that just gets you out and talking to people. This can be as simple as going swimming and chatting with the people in the hot tub after to see what they have to say. A walking club. Drop in game nights.

Something that's just allows you to unwind in ways that don't have you focus on personal wounds. Scars don't heal when you pick at them.

If you want a general ghist of what I am trying get out my ramble, try and find ways that gets yourself out of these ruts and letting go of this baggage personally, rather than trying to rely on someone to pull you out. You can surround yourself with support groups, but they don't pull you out but instead allow you to build up a scaffold behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Unrelated there has been one singular, sole persisting fly in our office, the last fly alive in the north given the weather, and I had a dream about murdering it. I don't mean swatting it, or zapping it with one of those electro swatters, but I mean I caught it between my hands with a clap. It was a little hard, durable, strengthened by the winter snow, so while it was stunned I clapped on it again, and again. Afte the forth time I checked to be sure I was hitting it, and it was well and truly dead. I let it fall to the ground.

And then I told Blue that I air juggled that ****ing fly to death, then woke up.
    This reminds me of the common joke of Canadian mosquitos: six inches...between the eyes.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Due to my recent events of a few (if not most) things that transpired of major life changes: One of the staff members at my job left to come back in her country, A few co-workers moving to a new location. My therapist is going to retire at the end of 2019 and just today my supervisor is going to retire at the end of 2019 as well. This is another reason why I don't like change and I feel like the karma is biting mine in my behind. Like seriously what did I do to deserve all of this? Like seriously why?

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

@AnonymousWizard: I second Zodi's perspective here. This pit is something that really only you can help yourself with. Not just because of nuances with your life that either are not available to us or difficult to convey through text. But in my experience (finding myself noting similarities between your own posts and my personal thought processes at times), trying to have someone as an anchor point as a starting point is a futile exercise. Even if somone is willing to help you with all that you are struggling with, if they go away (for whatever reason), you will find yourself back where you started. You need to find some way to lay down foundations to build up from.
    Sorry, decided to reply post-rage-crash.

Realistically, that is what therapy and counselling is for. They give you the tools so that you shed baggage and build up foundations and boundaries in a way that allows for you to stand free of them. While a relationship _could_ do so, it would take a pretty rare person who could balance both roles in a healthy and equitable way. Yes, you should be able to lean on your partner, but only so much as they should be able to lean on them. If you think of getting into a relationship as pulling you out of the pit, then in my opinion, you do both of you a diservice.
    Please, I've learnt from experience that when I'm in a relationship I have to be perfect or I'll be dumped before I know I did something wrong.

Sarcasm aside, that is technically all I've learnt about relationships. Thank [deity of choice]Azatoth that in the past year and a half to realise that my ex had even more niave expectations than me.

By the way, still two months on the waiting list for therapy! If I've not been forgotten about, I'd really rather have an automated email to let me know I'm still in the system.

They are their own person, not someone to raise you up.
    True, I'm for being kicked down and left to try to keep myself together twenty months afterwards.

You have the capacity to resolve these issues. You can work with people, you do have friends. You can gather yourself together, and get yourself to a better place.
    In all seriousness, part of the problem is not getting to spend time with friends. It's one of the few things that does help me feel better, but I get to do it once a month at most (and all attempts at getting my old gaming groups to play online games have failed, I haven't been able to really participate in my favourite hobby for over two years).

As I understand, your schedule is kind of all over the place. If you can, try and set a routine that just gets you out and talking to people. This can be as simple as going swimming and chatting with the people in the hot tub after to see what they have to say. A walking club. Drop in game nights.
    I'm in that weird position where bad experiences with such things have made me way. Why on earth are boats game clubs so loud?

I'm going to continue trying to find something, going to look into amateur dramatics in the new year, but sensory overload causes meet problems in gathering-type clubs. And the few things that don't cause me such issues never have members anywhere near my age.

Something that's just allows you to unwind in ways that don't have you focus on personal wounds. Scars don't heal when you pick at them.
    I get what you mean, I jessy feel like society loves to force me too look au this wound and go 'hey, you know that thing you couldn't do if you tried? I'm going to continually imply that is the only worthwhile thing.

If you want a general ghist of what I am trying get out my ramble, try and find ways that gets yourself out of these ruts and letting go of this baggage personally, rather than trying to rely on someone to pull you out. You can surround yourself with support groups, but they don't pull you out but instead allow you to build up a scaffold behind you.
    I know, I just feel lost and like nobody has even thought I might like a map. I keep getting told to meet people and if I do that I'll find somebody eventually, and I just don't know how. I don't even get matches on OKC anymore.

@Bartmanhomer: probably nothing, just bad luck in this cold and uncaring universe.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-11-19 at 05:44 PM.

23. - Top - End - #923

Trust me, I get the feeling AnonWizard. Not feeling like you know how to do the things you realize you need to. It's tough, and I wish I could help with it.

I'd recommend calling the people you're going into therapy with to remind that hey, you're still interested. It's important to let these sorts of people know you're still alive.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

Trust me, I get the feeling AnonWizard. Not feeling like you know how to do the things you realize you need to. It's tough, and I wish I could help with it.

I'd recommend calling the people you're going into therapy with to remind that hey, you're still interested. It's important to let these sorts of people know you're still alive.
    If that was a real concern I maybe would have got to jump some of the six month waiting list.

Also hooray, was fantasising about sinking a knife into my chest shortly after I left work today. I was glad to forget that that ever happened.

Show

25. - Top - End - #925

If that was a real concern I maybe would have got to jump some of the six month waiting list.

Also hooray, was fantasising about sinking a knife into my chest shortly after I left work today. I was glad to forget that that ever happened.
    Sorry, my choice of words were to be in a joking tone and that was not appropriate.

Do call them. These things need you to remind them they're around. Call them.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, my choice of words were to be in a joking tone and that was not appropriate.

Do call them. These things need you to remind them they're around. Call them.
    Sorry. I should have got that, but these are the sort of people who really want to know if you're suicidal. Which apparently I have been for at least months, just at the very low 'no major concerns' end.

Show

27. - Top - End - #927

Sorry. I should have got that, but these are the sort of people who really want to know if you're suicidal. Which apparently I have been for at least months, just at the very low 'no major concerns' end.
    I would personally argue there is no level where those kinds of thoughts are a "no major concerns" issue, but understandable.

Regardless, do call.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

If that was a real concern I maybe would have got to jump some of the six-month waiting lists.

Dude, get help and call the suicide hotline right now. I'm sure there's one in your country.

29. - Top - End - #929

I am putting this news in spoilers in deference to those who are going through tough times

Spoiler: happy news
    Show
    It has been 8 years since I was gut punched by reality and ended up in the hospital for a 2 inch (5 cm) perforation in my intestines and suffered septic shock for 6 hours before getting treatment [and consequently, a 6 week long induced coma]. It took 6 years of survival/recovery just to be able to work, where as I have kept this factory job for 2 years now. . . . .

Well all. I am doing weekend electrical work! first time in 8 years!!! it will only last about a month of weekends, but, hey: First electrical work in 8 freaking years ! ! ! ! !
    Last edited by Insane Jeenyus; 2019-11-20 at 07:30 AM.

Side employment:

sig thread is here

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    I am putting this news in spoilers in deference to those who are going through tough times

Spoiler: happy news
    Show
    It has been 8 years since I was gut punched by reality and ended up in the hospital for a 2 inch (5 cm) perforation in my intestines and suffered septic shock for 6 hours before getting treatment [and consequently, a 6 week long induced coma]. It took 6 years of survival/recovery just to be able to work, where as I have kept this factory job for 2 years now. . . . .

Well all. I am doing weekend electrical work! first time in 8 years!!! it will only last about a month of weekends, but, hey: First electrical work in 8 freaking years!!!!
    Congratulations! I'm glad you are progressing in your recovery.

@Anonymouswizard have you looked at support groups? They open up a community that you can draw on for assistance, will have experiences in depression and social anxiety so they can relate to you and will either be a social group or help you find one.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-11-19 at 08:34 PM.