New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Just for Fun: Build the Heroes of Star Wars

Hello! my current 5e character has some intentional personality traits with Luke Skywalker (from the desert, his foe wears a breathing mask, he got his hand chopped off) and that got me wondering how Star War's finest would be built if you were making a 5e Fantasy version of them.

The Rules:
    Stats: 20, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8 mixed however you want.
    Classes: If it's official or UA you can use it, but I'm looking for more magic than Psy builds, its a fantasy version.
    Equipment: No restrictions, but be realistic, a 10th level character is unlikely to have 1,000,000 platinum pieces to buy everything their heart desires.

Build one character and drop it below! I'll work on a Luke Skywalker and drop my build later.

Have fun!
    Generation 13
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Just for Fun: Build the Heroes of Star Wars

They are all mystics

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Throne12 View Post
    They are all mystics
    Han Solo is a mystic?
    Generation 13
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

They are all mystics
    I'd build a typical Jedi/Sith as a sorcerer paladin. Some are more sorcerer some are more paladin. The UA "aberrant mind" origin for sorcerers fits a force user well enough. The paladin oath would vary depending on the individual.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Open Hand monk actually provides a lot that is typical Jedi behavior.

Good jumps - ki can do that
    Force push - can do that with flurry
    No armor - base monk
    Jedi agility - monks move really fast.
    Land safely from falls - base monk
    Blocks laser blasts - base monk

Light side needs command and suggestion for mind control. A knowledge domain get those spells and speak with dead (force ghost). I think that combination of open Hand monk/ knowledge domain is pretty spot on. Although I think Ezra would be nature cleric instead.

Dark side needs some blasty stuff for most . Palpatine is open hand/tempest cleric. Vader would for into the new twilight domain pretty well.

If anyone wants to stat it out, I would love to see their take on Ashoka Tano (sp? I think I got close)
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2019-10-13 at 04:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Open Hand monk actually provides a lot that is typical Jedi behavior.

Good jumps - ki can do that
    Force push - can do that with flurry
    No armor - base monk
    Jedi agility - monks move really fast.
    Land safely from falls - base monk
    Blocks laser blasts - base monk

Light side needs command and suggestion for mind control. A knowledge domain get those spells and speak with dead (force ghost). I think that combination of open Hand monk/ knowledge domain is pretty spot on. Although I think Ezra would be nature cleric instead.

Dark side needs some blasty stuff for most . Palpatine is open hand/tempest cleric. Vader would for into the new twilight domain pretty well.

If anyone wants to stat it out, I would love to see their take on Ashoka Tano (sp? I think I got close)
    Whilst i like the Monk for sure, and the Knowledge domain spells are good the rest of the knowledge domain doesnt feel right. Im thinking more sorcerer perhaps?

Your take on Palpatine isnt bad, i would lean more tempest than monk thou.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

They are all mystics
    Ah, yes, Chewbacca the mystic.

The Emperor wears dark robes more than heavy armor of a tempest cleric. This tells me something more like Sorcerer or Warlock over Cleric. Besides, Clerics main lightning spells is Call Lightning. Force lightning is more like Lightning bolt or, dare I day it, Witch Bolt.

On top of that, most force users would want Sorcerer based Subtle metamagic to replicate psionic Jedi mind tricks, without being explicitly a psionic. Or mystic, obviously.

Darth Vader is definitely some kind of Paladin. The fact that Sorlock is a thing leads me to think hed be one of those. Conquest focusing on fear, that's Vader. Luke could be similar, but just not a Conquest pally.

Hand Solo, and Lando, are some hybrid of Rogue and Fighter. Maybe just fighter with Prodigy in some skills or another. It's all piloting and blaster.

Chewbacca is a fighter, maybe some barbarian, but his thing is his bow caster, likely a heavy crossbow. A champion more than a battlemaster.
    Last edited by Protolisk; 2019-10-13 at 05:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by KyleG View Post
    Whilst i like the Monk for sure, and the Knowledge domain spells are good the rest of the knowledge domain doesnt feel right. Im thinking more sorcerer perhaps?
    Agreed. I can't get behind monk for this: Jedi wear armor while at war, after all, and they aren't known for their unarmed attacks.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

For a Jedi, I'd go 3 levels of Kensei monk for the weapon proficiency and make yourself a sun sword.

Then go enchanter wizard for the rest. When you use hypnotic gaze, hold your hand out and squeeze their throat from a distance. Focus on enchantment and divination spells. Here are some wizard spells that I think fit, some better than others.

Mage Hand, Message, Friends, Charm Person, Jump, Longstrider, Expeditious Retreat, Shield, Absorb Elements, Suggestion, Detect Thoughts, Levitate, Hold Person, Misty Step, Darkvision, See Invisibility, Invisibility, Clairvoyance, Fear, Fly, Arcane Eye, Charm Monster, Telekinesis, Hold Monster, Animate Objects, Contact Other Plane, Dream, Mislead, Modify Memory, Mass Suggestion, Rary’s Telepathic Bond, Scrying, Sending, Synaptic Static, True Seeing, Telepathy, Feeblemind, Dominate Monster, Steel Wind Strike, Foresight, Astral Projection.

Chirrut Îmwe from Rogue One stayed Kensei monk and never switched to enchanter.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    Agreed. I can't get behind monk for this: Jedi wear armor while at war, after all, and they aren't known for their unarmed attacks.
    But how much more monk can you get than this? Mace Windu is definitely a monk. He could do anything to get out of that situation, but he decides "nope, just going to punch them all". That's monk, that is :)

https://youtu.be/mj07qh51zPI
    Last edited by sambojin; 2019-10-13 at 06:37 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    Different people, different interpretations *shrug*. But, you have to admit that Monk does have some abilities that are pretty iconic to all version of Jedi.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed, so much so that I made sure to include jedi powers as variant options in my elements monk rework.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #13

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Protolisk View Post
    Ah, yes, Chewbacca the mystic.

The Emperor wears dark robes more than heavy armor of a tempest cleric. This tells me something more like Sorcerer or Warlock over Cleric. Besides, Clerics main lightning spells is Call Lightning. Force lightning is more like Lightning bolt or, dare I day it, Witch Bolt.

On top of that, most force users would want Sorcerer based Subtle metamagic to replicate psionic Jedi mind tricks, without being explicitly a psionic. Or mystic, obviously.

Darth Vader is definitely some kind of Paladin. The fact that Sorlock is a thing leads me to think hed be one of those. Conquest focusing on fear, that's Vader. Luke could be similar, but just not a Conquest pally.

Hand Solo, and Lando, are some hybrid of Rogue and Fighter. Maybe just fighter with Prodigy in some skills or another. It's all piloting and blaster.

Chewbacca is a fighter, maybe some barbarian, but his thing is his bow caster, likely a heavy crossbow. A champion more than a battlemaster.
    Yes you didnt know Chewbacca was a very wise and powerful mystic.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    But, you have to admit that Monk does have some abilities that are pretty iconic to all version of Jedi.
    Nothing that isn't represented as well (or better) by the Sorcerer's spell list, and Monks lack all the Telekinesis/Telepathy/Precognition abilities. Sorcerers get Mage Hand for basic utility TK and you can get spells like Thunderwave to model a Force Push against a crowd of mooks, Catapult for tossing things around like Vader does to Luke in Empire Strikes Back. Monks don't have any of that, and you'll only go so far with a cleric multiclass, because their list just doesn't have as many of the spells you'd want.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

For a villain, I've done a few Kylo Ren 20th level builds. Usually using Oathbreaker Paladin and Sorcerer in some combination (usually Draconic Sorcerer in the past, but I could change that more easily than most others). My last build was Oathbreaker Paladin 8/Path of the Zealot Barbarian 3 (for the extra radiant damage)/Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer 9 (I go Sorc 9 to get Telekinesis), but I've developed builds using Eldritch Knight Fighter 3 instead of the Barbarian levels, or Hexblade Warlock (Pact of the Blade). If going 10th level, I'd probably do the classic Paladin 2/Sorcerer 8, though.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

C-3PO is an envoy warforged bard.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Just, please don't. Insisting on that technicality improves nothing.