New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Night Below (IC)

The forceful crossbow bolt embedded itself in the lizard's neck and it gurgled as it hit the ground.

In Mirafa's mind she heard squelches and gurgles in what sounded almost like a more complicated version of the lizard's speech. Then after a moment this sound stopped and instead she could understand the message.
    A necromancer... a captain... that old sword of yours really means quite a bit to you, doesn't it?
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Liara expended of her more powerful spells draws flames to her hands and points towards a lizard. A bolt of flame shoots from her finger tip.

Before even stopping to see if it hits her target she begins to cast again.

"I can do this all day!" She shouts at the creatures though clearly her fatigue from the fight is showing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fire bolt to hit(1d20)[6]+5
    Damage (1d10)[4]

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Surrounded and uninterested in surrender, the creature falls to you all just like the rest.
    And as you stand among a pile of lizardfolk bodies, felled by various injuries, we are out of initiative.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #184

Liara breathes a sigh of relief and kneels down on the ground taking a few moments to regain her composure.

"Is everyone alright?"

"I was not expecting something like that to occur. I know we were expecting some sort of resistance but there were so many. Should we risk exploring further? I am all but spent."

She looks at the bodies on the ground, "Are they being controlled by the brain creatures as well?"

She puts a hand on her knee and pushes herself off the ground before inspecting the bodies. She uses her dagger to prod the bodies and inspect them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Investigation check to discern if there are brain creatures inside the lizards (1d20)[12]+5

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Liara pries open one of the skulls and within it she finds that the brain is indeed missing from the lizard, but instead of being replaced with a walking brain within is a pulsing octopus-like creature beating like a heart. Listening closely it sounds almost like it's gasping. This thing is dying.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

What in the nine hells is that thing? Mirafa shouts as Liara reveals the pulsing creature inside the lizards head.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

"Whatever it is, I'm glad it's breathin' its last. Nasty buggers, these." Emrig spits on the ground as a sign of disaproval. "That was some skirmish, eh?" he says with a grin, which quickly becomes a grimace. "Got a headache like the worst kinda hangover. Ye think we should take a breather, or head on?"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

I think we have exhausted ourselves for the day. It would be foolish to press on now.

Mira then looks from one of her comrades to the next.

I... am also leery of the idea of staying in this mine while we rest. We are far too exhausted to mount a proper defense should anything come.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #189

Liara continues looking at the creature for a few more moments.

"I have no idea what this is." She says seriously to Mirafa. "All I know is that they are dangerous. There seem to be too many creatures inhabiting other creatures bodies"

She turns to Emrig "Yes definitely some skirmish. I am not used to such heavy fighting but it seems our path is a dangerous one.

Mirafa is right, we shouldnt stay here, I have depleted my spells for the day and will be of little more use until I can rest.

We should probably stay the night somewhere nearby but away from the mine entrance."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Avaris was not really hurt, but he was spend indeed.

"I concur. We must rest and regroup. Is it worthwhile to go back to the inn to do it, or should we set camp somewhere around here?

I would suggest the inn. In our current state, we will not easily fend off another attack in the wilds."

Avaris searches the bodies as he speaks.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

As Avaris searches the bodies he observes the tentacles on some of the lizardfolk's horns squirm their last. However they carry no weapons or gear.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. Perhaps the inn would be best. In addition to resting comfortably, we could perhaps better equip ourselves for a better expedition come morning. Maybe we could also pay a visit to the old man, what did they call him, Grizzly? He may be able to give us an idea of just how large this mine is, as well as perhaps, a map.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

You make your way back to the baron of mutton, where you have rooms promised you. It is late into the night when you arrive and you'll probably miss breakfast unless you make a point to wake up in time for it, but Andrea is awake and lets you in. She guides you to two two-bedroom rooms that you can take for the night.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to do before going to sleep?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Avaris asks for a bowl of water to wash. Other than that, he puts his things down and gets some much needed rest.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Those of you who sleep awaken late into midmorning, your muscles sore. Emrig's headache is finally beginning to subside. In some ways those of you who were brought down by the altered lizardfolk are still feeling your wounds, in other ways you feel like you are stronger now than you ever have been.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As you benefit from a long rest, everyone advance to level four.

The new day is yours.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Mira awakens. Her body is sore. Her mind is still aching from... whatever that was she heard the night before.

With stiff, aching muscles, Mira pulls on her chain. Girding herself in her armor, and donning her pack and her shield, she straps her sword on as she heads downstairs.

Good morning.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

17. - Top - End - #197

The bed was extremely comfortable after the late night and Liara had a very comfortable trance. She woke earlier than the others to study her spellbook.

After studying her spells she made a breakthrough in her work and madly began scribbling two new spells down before neatly writing them in her spellbook.

"Good Morning Mirafa, I shall join you for a late breakfast momentarily. But then we really do need to move again."

She returns to her writing, finishing up before joining the others

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Mira nods to Liara, and heads downstairs to see what could be had for breakfast.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

The inn portion of the Baron of Mutton is emptying out as Mirafa heads downstairs. The best of the breakfast is already eaten, leaving behind only some day-old bread to split as a spare meal.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Despite staying up late, Avaris was up to greet the sun. He meditated deeply, more deeply than ever before. Perhaps it was the way he all but exhausted himself harnessing the Light of his faith, but today, Avaris felt his devotions and incantations resonate deeply within him.

He went down, suddenly famished. Brewing his tea, he split the bread among all the others. Catching the eye of a passing server, he asked

"Is there any butter, cheese or honey to go with this? We would pay extra, if needed"

He then addresses the others

"What are your thoughts? Should we go down once more? If yes, I would suggest we buy some transportation."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Barthelew is running the inn at this point, and manages to locate some cheese for the table.
    "It seems we're out of honey, so thank you for letting me know that before lunchtime."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202

Liara finishes writing her spells and rushes downstairs after taking up probably too much time already.

"Morning all," She says quickly grabbing a hunk of cheese before they are all gone "Tranportation sounds like a great idea"

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

You may recall that I did ask about that last night. Of course, this a bit earlier in the day, so we may be able to catch a ride in a cart.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

"There's stables by the smithy, or I suppose you could ask to hitch a ride with some of the mining carts that will be leaving all morning," Berthelew muses while refilling your drinks.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Avaris

Avaris nods his agreement and listens carefully to Berthelew's words.

"I do recall, yes. And it seems that some carts will be going that way, which we can hire. I do not have sufficient funds for a horse now, so it is the cart for me."

26. - Top - End - #206

"Indeed, I am rather poor in funds at the moment. Shall we get a cart now and see if we can venture further into the mines than last night?"

She turns to Berthelew "Any idea of the cost to hire it? And thanks for the refill"

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

"You're quite welcome. As far as cost goes, a lot of the carts are empty on the way up so you might persuade someone to let you ride free... though I suppose a lot of the miners would want the seat, too."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

You go out the same way you'd headed to the mines the previous evening, and this time it isn't long before you encounter a large group of miners this time headed the same direction as you.
    None of them are going to Garlstone mine, but they can bring you to Carman's operable mines, which is most of the way.
    "If you can get a few of the miners to give up their seats, you can ride in this cart. Nothing explosive in that one."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209

Liara walks up to the cart, "Good Morning, would any of you be interested in trading your seats for a ration of food? I have four rations available as we need four seats."

Liara presents four pouches of rations hoping some will accept her offer.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

A middle-aged man looks expectantly at a seventeen year old sitting next to him, who stands.
    “Far be it for me to sit while a lady stands, ma’am.” He nods to you and lets Liara have his spot on the back of the wagon. The older man, who looks to be the boy’s father, follows suit upon seeing Mirafa.
    Show