New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Athas meets Rogue Trader + Exalted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I think you're off by a few orders of magnitude there, Glyphstone. By my math, New York's pop. density is 27,500 people/km2, given the 20.1 M/732 km numbers you cited. Using Wikipedia's numbers (8.40M/784 km2) gives 10,700 people/km2.

I think you may have used the New York Metropolitan Area's population with New York City's area.

Athas's cities are indeed, small and dense, but as The Glyphstone pointed out, not unreasonably so.
    It was a quick and dirty Google search, so you're probably right. Kowloon is probably a better reference anyways, because a place like New York has skyscrapers and other tall-build construction impossible for a fantasy setting that allow extreme vertical population density. The Walled City was capped at 14 stories (still probably higher than Athasian architecture can accomplish, admittedly).
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-12-05 at 12:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

I ended up going with 8 sq km and about 70k population. About 30k were at the coliseum and vaporized by one of the torpedos. Hundreds, if not a couple thousand, were already dead from the PCs using a line of sight fear effect... but the torpedo said we didn't need to worry about that.

I decided on 90% at 4 resilence and 4 hp, standard non-combatant. 9% at 5 & 6, 0.9% at 6 & 8, and 0.1% at 7 resilence and 10 hip points. Two hits of 10k4, ignore armor and cover for simplicity, rounding survival down because of bleed effects and a couple crit4 effects that also kill. Got the %chance sheet out and calculated how many got insta-gibbed and how many had hit points left, then did it again for each resilence & hp combo. Assuming that anyone with 0 hp had a crit and a 30% chance of it hitting the same body part (40% of hits are to the body, skews hard away from the 1/10) which just kills them.

Came to a 3% survival rate, heavily weighted to the 6 & 8 people. 1.95 of the normals live, all at 0 hp and varying crits, about 700. About 220s each of the 5 and 6 resilence live, no 5 has more than 2 hp and the 6s top out at 5 hp. 38 of the 40 with 7 resilence live, their bell curve topping at 6 hp.

All this because the templars tried to bring them in for questioning and when the sorcerer king arrived the PCs couldn't beat him in close combat.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not dead yet!

The game log. Not pretty but it at least exists.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=10u...kJoUiXZpGhyj6B

The totally alpha, unsupported, and undocumented android app for rolling, stats, and warp effects. Figure out the side loading yourself, I load directly by compiling & testing.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1O9...__O_0AVBmQb6nu

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

I may have started to find the limits of the depths of depravity that my players will sink to.

Cool: Releasing darkness generating life force devourers to kill basically an entire planet. Making a pact with a daemon lord that ends up giving him a ship crewed by about 3000 greater daemons and releasing them on the cosmos. Helping the mind flayers confirm or finish the genocide of the gith~whatever races. Transporting an Athasan sorcerer-king to Sigil where he will introduce defiling to the wider cosmos. Getting Gehenna orbitally carpet bombed by the Elven Imperial Navy. Releasing grey-goo style nanotech in various places. Aiding in the kidnapping of weird pearlescent people, freaky oompa-loompas, and generally helping the Cocaine Wizard guild to become more dangerous and lol-random.

Un-cool: Letting the mind flayers get away with a box full of darkness generating life force devouring shadow creatures without at least telling the customs agents at Sigil that they may be transporting dangerous goods. Accepting as payment (for the githy genocide thing) an illithid mind stamper that overwrites a person's memories, skills, and personality while also implanting loyalty and self-destruct codes.

I am again behind on the game log. The players did not seem to consider why the mind flayers had enough stock and ownership in food stuffs producing and distribution companies, planets, shipping lines, etc., to raise someone from wealth 2 (can buy a new car or major home appliances on a regular basis) to wealth 5 (can buy inhabitable moons, small undeveloped planets, battle mecha, and light star cruisers on a regular basis). Nor did they seem to consider that they are going to be paid this in exchange for transporting a small mechanized army to a crystal sphere called 'Horror' that was mentioned in the data banks of a 2000 year old crashed spaceship.