New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default What Pokemon In DND system is best and why?

There are a lot of Pokemon In DND systems out there, but which one is best and why? Which one allows for the most creativity and customization in character builds, which one has the most versatility, which one has systems in place for high level characters to catch Legendaries?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Pokemon In DND system is best and why?

I think Pokemon Tabletop United is the system I hear about most often?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's certainly the best one my group has tried, and while active development has ended the devs are planning to release a Gen 8 update around the end of the year

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

There is also a good Mutants and Masterminds system that was invented on the Atomic Think Tank forums a number of years ago that worked very well in a number of games.
    Most updated Character creation rules that I can find in the top post of the link.
    https://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=219865

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I could also write a quick hack for STaRS, if you'd like something light. One of the sample magic systems is halfway to Pokemon as it is.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I think Pokemon Tabletop United is the system I hear about most often?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dinosaur View Post
    It's certainly the best one my group has tried, and while active development has ended the devs are planning to release a Gen 8 update around the end of the year
    Indeed, I find it to be a very versatile system (as long as you aren't trying to do Pokémon Mystery Dungeon stuff). While I may be biased (I'm the person that got brought on to do the Gen 8 update and continue keeping things playable in that regards), I've found it to allow for a great variety of different campaigns over the years.

Admittedly, the system... does have it's flaws, and things that aren't always readily apparent on the GM side, but there's a Discord full of people willing to help, which has also compiled a great many things that the community has learned to help make the game better in the five years since the most current edition's released.

For builds, because of the mix 'n match "feat tree" class system, you get a lot of customizability and versatility out of it. It's the thing that I like most about the system.

I've personally ran and seen run several different campaign styles, from pirates, to explorers, to your regular gym crawl, to more along the lines of Shadowrun-inspired... the system ends up being very fluff-agnostic, and with the supplements, there's a great variety of inspiration and stuff you can do. There's even one supplement specifically designed to make Legendaries extremely powerful, more akin to gods - but, by standard they are essentially just ordinary strong 'Mon, and are very catchable so long as the GM lets them show up.

(In theory, even low-level characters can have legendaries, if the GM allows for it. I remember one campaign story regarding everyone having a baby Legendary Bird.)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-26 at 11:47 PM.