New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Immunities vs damage

As a DM I get a lot of things thrown at me. W/O the help from you all my limited exposure to other players and DM's would cost my players greatly.

I've been running into some instances I can fluff over where monsters are resistant to this or that damage or Paladins can't be poisoned.

What situations come up in your games that I can learn from or what rules do I need to keep in mind?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Immunities vs damage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkVIIIMarc View Post
    As a DM I get a lot of things thrown at me. W/O the help from you all my limited exposure to other players and DM's would cost my players greatly.

I've been running into some instances I can fluff over where monsters are resistant to this or that damage or Paladins can't be poisoned.

What situations come up in your games that I can learn from or what rules do I need to keep in mind?
    Paladins can certainly be poisoned, though they can't contract a disease after 3rd level.

Personally my biggest tip would be to just consume things, books, shows, movies and other DnD streamed games/podcasts. It builds up this large reservoir for you to draw upon in improv, players want to take that turn you didn't actually put anything down? You'll find yourself describing the village they find before you realise it.

Rule wise I would emphasise that players should be familiar with the rules that govern what THEY want to do. I've had a Warlock that had no idea ranged attacks within 5ft were at disadvantage, despite ranged attacks being all he did. Players knowing the rules they personally choose to interact with helps smooth out combats and cut down on confusion and mid session book checking.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges