New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Design for an adventure for Starfinder

So I am planning a campaign for my group with the starfinder setting. They are pretty new and donīt have any preconception. So i want to use everything form the rulebook that fits, but in my own way.

So the idea is to start with classic races (instead of the new ones) and run some kind of space-station where they would met/discover one adventure at a time the different races available.

And also use as adventure awards (via-briefings or something) the opportunity to upgrade their station. For example to chose between new commercial hangar that could increase trade or a new science station, or between a spacecraft expert (who could help upgrading their ship) or a weapons dealership with better equipment.

I pitch this here for criticism. I have little experience myself so I cannot spot possible trouble.
    Last edited by Relonious; 2019-11-28 at 11:33 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Design for an adventure for Starfinder

A possible trouble is how starfinder is quite excepting the world to always give to adventurers level appropriate equipment.
    You can either change the system to avoid that problem or you have to make so that the adventure provides level appropriate equipment as needed (meeting merchant with those, finding level appropriate equipment hovering mid air and rotating, and any other way you have to provide equipment)
    Also everything can explode so you need a plot that does not needs the existence of any specific thing(it will explode)
    So if your plot involves the space station you talked about you have to know how to have it work with an exploded space station.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-11-29 at 10:48 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

You could allow the players to choose which upgrades the station gets by which adventures they accept.

A mayday goes out for a freighter in distress. The PCs must fight off pirates and repais the vessel's stardrive. The drive gets the merchant to the base, but then dies permanently. The freighter, captain, and a couple of henchmen remain behind and operate as an intermodal and cargo transfer station, attracting better trade to the station.

A starship archetect is designing a robotic shipyard but he used war surplus robots whose 'hostile' subroutines became active. Rescue the archetect and he wlll begin a more cautious approach building his shipyard near their base, beginning with repair facilities and improving as the PCs invest.

An arms merchant rents space and begins to set up 'defences' which he intends to use to extort control over the station. Prevent this and liberate his workforce and some will stay to operate a weapons sale and upgrade shop.

When presenting the idea to your players you could say, "There is a ship in distress, a nearby construction project has started firing on supply vessels, and there is an arms dealer looking to rent space on your station. Which do you want to deal with?"

Unfortunately, the other two opportunities will have been resolved by the time the PCs get to them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thanks for the reply. I welcome your input.

everything can explode so you need a plot that does not needs the existence of any specific thing(it will explode)
    So, what I take from noob, i to have a back-up plan for when s*** hits the fan.

brian 333, that was what I was thinking of. (kinda)

My main fear is to put to much content in front of newbies. So I thought to dose it up by adventures. Of course I need to have level appropriate equipment as noob suggested, but I was thinking in dealerships for new equipment.

Maybe after one mission to Akiton (that will be placed on another system) the station would gain a permanent office with Ysoki dignitaries and a permanent mechanic.

As I said I have little experience, so I keep twiking this idea of mine, so it would be blown to pieces on the first try (player will be players after all).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

If you go into it with options, you can ad-lib when the players screw things up. For example, in one campaign the party was supposed to rescue the son of a wealthy merchant. They killed him.

I wanted the next adventure to revolve around a brush-war on a distant world, so the mercenaries the .merchant hired to hunt them down and kill them instead offered them a contract to smuggle weapons to the war zone.