New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default spell like abilities with greenbound summoning

Just looking over greenbound summoning again. Was wondering can most of the animal even use the spell like abilities. Says they are cha based and most animals have 4-6 cha making 8-10 with summoning. Making impossible to cast them without additional bonus from some where.

Question is do spell like abilities require min requirement like spells. Description doesn't say one way or another(directly) but does say spell like are like spells and spells do require never removes the requirement. So I'm left with believe that they can't?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: spell like abilities with greenbound summoning

Minimum ability requirements are for real spellcasters, as the line which makes them require that ability is in their spells class feature. Warlocks, truenamers, and greenbound animals don't need any charisma to use their SLAs.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Some spell-like abilities do have a minimum requirement, but they will state so specifically. Gnomes are the typical example, ones with at least 10 cha get a few extra SLAs, but there's definitely others, like half fiend/celestial, requiring at least 8 wisdom (so it's not even always a cha requirement) to gain their racial SLAs.

But yeah, unless it specifies that they must have a minimum, they can use it regardless of their ability scores.
    Last edited by Crake; 2019-12-23 at 01:29 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Is their any ruling somewhere on this. All example above seem to be seem to be ones that spell out. Which nice but doesn't really reflect the whole per say making a bit of a grey area. Green bound says uses cha. The others don't say far I know don't have my books to confirm.

Doesn't get the abilities and has only 10 cha. So seems like the author removed them. But again don't have my books so have to look and see later.
    Last edited by mouser13; 2019-12-26 at 02:03 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mouser13 View Post
    Is their any ruling somewhere on this. All example above seem to be seem to be ones that spell out. Which nice but doesn't really reflect the whole per say making a bit of a grey area. Green bound says uses cha. The others don't say far I know don't have my books to confirm.

I didn't some more looking at the example creature from [REDACTED]

Doesn't get the abilities and has only 10 cha. So seems like the author removed them. But again don't have my books so have to look and see later.
    It's spelled out in the template. The template says the creature gets the SLAs, it mentions no qualifying requirements, thus the creature gets the SLAs.

As a note, the link you posted (which is against forum rules so I suggest you take it down) it does say "Spell-like abilities" in the special attack section. In the book, the troll also spells Spell-like abilities, and then later tells you what SLAs it gets under the actual greenbound creature rules.
    Last edited by Crake; 2019-12-26 at 12:28 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.

Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

In other words, there is no general rule that states you need a minimum stat to cast a spell. When it says “X ability is charisma-based”, it means that the DC for the ability is based on charisma, not that a minimum charisma is required to use it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Spell-Like Abilities
    "For creatures with spell-like abilities, a designated caster level defines how difficult it is to dispel their spell-like effects and to define any level-dependent variables (such as range and duration) the abilities might have. The creature’s caster level never affects which spell-like abilities the creature has; sometimes the given caster level is lower than the level a spellcasting character would need to cast the spell of the same name. If no caster level is specified, the caster level is equal to the creature’s Hit Dice."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Spell-Like Abilities
    "For creatures with spell-like abilities, a designated caster level defines how difficult it is to dispel their spell-like effects and to define any level-dependent variables (such as range and duration) the abilities might have. The creature’s caster level never affects which spell-like abilities the creature has; sometimes the given caster level is lower than the level a spellcasting character would need to cast the spell of the same name. If no caster level is specified, the caster level is equal to the creature’s Hit Dice."
    Huh. I'll have to remember that the next time people lambast the idea that a half-HD simulacrum genie can use the original's three wishes SLA.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2019-12-27 at 10:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Huh. I'll have to remember that the next time people lambast the idea that a half-HD simulacrum can use the original's three wishes SLA.
    Typically that claim comes with the notion that, if you look at the HD as class levels, or a savage progression, having half the number of HD means being further back in the progression, which would mean less abilities.

As an aside, efreeti already invoke this rule by default, because their CL is 12 for their wishes.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Typically that claim comes with the notion that, if you look at the HD as class levels, or a savage progression, having half the number of HD means being further back in the progression, which would mean less abilities.
    "Show me an official savage progression and I'll believe you. Otherwise, it doesn't exist, so it's a houserule and you can't prove anything."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    "Show me an official savage progression and I'll believe you. Otherwise, it doesn't exist, so it's a houserule and you can't prove anything."
    There doesn't need to be an official savage progression for that to work, since the DM can homebrew savage progressions.

That said, savage species page 164: Efreeti (Genie) savage progression.

12. - Top - End - #12

Google failed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    There doesn't need to be an official savage progression for that to work, since the DM can homebrew savage progressions.

That said, savage species page 164: Efreeti (Genie) savage progression.
    Yet another way to abuse thought bottles, I guess.