New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1189 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Distance over volume gives -surface. It checks out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    It’s the only way that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Impulse(SPecific)Yeah, dividing miles (length) by volume (gallons) produces units of inverse area (inches-2).
    I was flaunting my superior formatting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arathorne View Post
    I want to thank Mr Lampert for an interesting and entertaining read on "Rock Scientist". I will have to change my vocabulary to not repeat the phrase "well its not Rocket Science" going forward. At this point I am not sure what the replacement will be, maybe "Brain Surgery", but it is clear I have use something else.
    My go to is "it's not rocket surgery."
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

That sounds really confusing. Thanks

3. - Top - End - #543

Quote Originally Posted by Arathorne View Post
    I want to thank Mr Lampert for an interesting and entertaining read on "Rock Scientist". I will have to change my vocabulary to not repeat the phrase "well its not Rocket Science" going forward. At this point I am not sure what the replacement will be, maybe "Brain Surgery", but it is clear I have use something else.
    "Rocket surgery" works. (I'm a bit biased on such terminology, as my wife is a brain scientist.)

I'm not weirded out by odd units. They happen, from time to time; eventually, they cancel out, possibly with a few conversions along the way. Even that hypothetical distance in units of miles2/ft isn't intrinsically wrong, since the dimensions are correct; it's just that the number is about seven orders of magnitude smaller than one might expect if the intended result was in ft. Multiply it by (5280 ft/mile) twice and you're fine. The problem comes if you have a number (without units) which is supposed to represent a distance in miles, divide it by 5280, and write in "feet". Doing the calculations with just the numbers, and dropping in the units you expect at the very end, is begging for trouble.

One of the most challenging parts of teaching people to do calculations in the physical sciences is to get them to look at the final result critically: does it make sense, or is it a silly number? "Your final result is a pressure of negative a hundred thousand atmospheres. What is that even supposed to mean?" "But that's what the calculator says!"
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2019-12-19 at 12:32 PM.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Dr. Doug, have you read "Ignition!" by John D Clark? If yes what's your opinion of it?

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    "Rocket surgery" works. (I'm a bit biased on such terminology, as my wife is a brain scientist.)

I'm not weirded out by odd units. They happen, from time to time; eventually, they cancel out, possibly with a few conversions along the way. Even that hypothetical distance in units of miles2/ft isn't intrinsically wrong, since the dimensions are correct; it's just that the number is about seven orders of magnitude smaller than one might expect if the intended result was in ft. Multiply it by (5280 ft/mile) twice and you're fine. The problem comes if you have a number (without units) which is supposed to represent a distance in miles, divide it by 5280, and write in "feet". Doing the calculations with just the numbers, and dropping in the units you expect at the very end, is begging for trouble.

One of the most challenging parts of teaching people to do calculations in the physical sciences is to get them to look at the final result critically: does it make sense, or is it a silly number? "Your final result is a pressure of negative a hundred thousand atmospheres. What is that even supposed to mean?" "But that's what the calculator says!"
    My little sister tells of a student coming to her office to ask for help back when she was a GTA. He had a homework problem asking what the displacement from a vertical drop due to Coriolis effect would be in a 20m fall at their latitude.

IIRC, the correct answer was ~1cm to the east. His result was 10km to the west. She pointed out the window of her office at the UC Berkeley clock tower, "You see that clock tower?"
    "Yes"
    "You see the golden gate bridge"
    "Yes"
    "Are you telling me that if you drop a rock off the top of that clock tower it will hit that bridge on the way down?"
    "I guess so."

Apparently, the student still failed to make the obvious connection that he'd made a small mistake somewhere.

I once goofed writing a question, and out of an entire class, only one student asked if the vehicle (on wheels) was actually supposed to be traveling at over 300 miles per hour. IIRC I told her prior to the final that she didn't need to show up if she didn't want to, as she clearly had an A for the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Dr. Doug, have you read "Ignition!" by John D Clark? If yes what's your opinion of it?
    Haven't read it. But first hand accounts are often interesting when you're looking into something.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

How about ‘it’s not a GitP thread?’ That’s the most complicated thing I can think of right now.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

7. - Top - End - #547

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    My little sister tells of a student coming to her office to ask for help back when she was a GTA. He had a homework problem asking what the displacement from a vertical drop due to Coriolis effect would be in a 20m fall at their latitude.

IIRC, the correct answer was ~1cm to the east. His result was 10km to the west. She pointed out the window of her office at the UC Berkeley clock tower, "You see that clock tower?"
    "Yes"
    "Yes"
    "Are you telling me that if you drop a rock off the top of that clock tower it will hit that bridge on the way down?"
    "I guess so."

Apparently, the student still failed to make the obvious connection that he'd made a small mistake somewhere.
    Imean, if they got 10km displacement on a 20m drop to begin with and didn't object...

Also, Ignition! is literally in a pile of books I need to read at home right now! It took a backseat to Moon Lander: How We Developed the Apollo Lunar Module, though. The LM's my favorite spaceship by far, that one was always going to be read first. Grumman built one hell of a machine.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-19 at 02:03 PM.

8. - Top - End - #548

Devil

N years ago a quote from it about chlorine trifluoride was making rounds on the interwebs:

It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water—with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals—steel, copper, aluminum, etc.—because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride that protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.
    Such fun!

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

As someone with 5 years of experience as a ground technician in the European Space Center of French Guyana. I can relate to what Doug is saying.
    We obviously have less problems with units, but still have some.
    There were the various unit used for pressure (Why the use mmHg ?), but what really annoyed me was the millimetres and inches being mixed for the diameters of pipes and bolts, including on blueprint. I also have a problem with VoltAmpère being different from Watt.

And i also can relate a lot to his depiction of the behaviour of rocket scientists or engineers. There are some engineers who won't say "Bonjour" to you if you're not an engineer yourself.

Part 2: Mass vs. Force

I have had rocket scientists quote me thrust in kg-force. That is not a unit. As pointed out above, rocket science is the field of human endeavor where this distinction is most likely to make a practical difference, most people can just assume 1g, but not rocket science. kg is not a unit of force. I assume kg-force is 9.8 N.
    Oh yes... this one has always annoyed me.

In America we measure efficiency in distance per volume, because in America bigger is always better.

The alternative is to measure volume per distance, which is absurd because it means the less fuel you use, the smaller the number. And smaller is always worse! Its clearly a ridiculous measure.
    I can relate to the first one, we often use distance-per-full-tank here.
    Car sellers often advertise on volume per 100 km, though.

I would recommend, "It's not rocket machining" except that no one would get it, as I said, someone involved is a genius, and since it isn't whoever prepares those blueprints and the pieces do fit together and not explode...
    What's exactly a "machinist"?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Imean, if they got 10km displacement on a 20m drop to begin with and didn't object...
    I once wrote a test for my associates degree students about power transmission. It was about the Audi A8 W12 530HP (yes, you can guess what movie i saw a few days before).
    I asked to calculate the maximum speed of the car given the motor gear chart and size of the wheels.
    I got 200 000 km/h and 60 km/h among the answers.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2019-12-19 at 02:31 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

10. - Top - End - #550
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    I also have a problem with VoltAmpère being different from Watt.
    There's a good reason for that one, though. If your AC voltage and current are exactly in phase then VA and W are identical, but if they're OUT of phase (e.g. you have a power factor less than 1) then they're different values--VA is literally just the RMS voltage multiplied by the RMS current, whereas Watts is the actual real power dissipated in the system. Source: trained as an electrical engineer many years ago.

11. - Top - End - #551

Someone who uses a machine to make things, in simplest terms.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    There's a good reason for that one, though. If your AC voltage and current are exactly in phase then VA and W are identical, but if they're OUT of phase (e.g. you have a power factor less than 1) then they're different values--VA is literally just the RMS voltage multiplied by the RMS current, whereas Watts is the actual real power dissipated in the system. Source: trained as an electrical engineer many years ago.
    I understand (i think) the difference between real and apparent powers, but for me, the apparent power is still a power and i feel like it should be said in Watt.
    Of course, my bachelor is in mechanical engineering, so i may be completely misunderstanding this. Maybe it's akin to the centrifugal force not being a force at all.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

13. - Top - End - #553

HalflingRogueGuy

I was flaunting my superior formatting.
    I saw that, but I really just wanted any reason to say Hogshead.
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-12-19 at 03:51 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Guy who uses things like Lathes and drill-presses to make other machinery mostly. AKA, the guy who actually makes the parts that go into the rocket.

I understand (i think) the difference between real and apparent powers, but for me, the apparent power is still a power and i feel like it should be said in Watt.
    Of course, my bachelor is in mechanical engineering, so i may be completely misunderstanding this. Maybe it's akin to the centrifugal force not being a force at all.
    Mandatory XKCD link:
    https://xkcd.com/123/

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    N years ago a quote from it about chlorine trifluoride was making rounds on the interwebs:

Such fun!
    That's actually a quote from Ignition! Mentioned earlier in the thread.

The source for most of the web references is a quote in:
    https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipelin..._you_this_time

See for the index of a bunch of such articles.
    https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipelin...wont-work-with

16. - Top - End - #556

Devil

That's actually a quote from Ignition! Mentioned earlier in the thread.
    Um, it was I who first mentioned Ignition! ITT, and that's why I said "a quote from it".

And yes, I totally would've mentioned ItPL if I had been allowed to post links.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 2019-12-19 at 04:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

The distinction can be important. For instance, uninterruptible power supplies often have both a VA rating and a watt rating, and you don't want to be exceeding either limit for safety reasons. This is why the SI system of units allows for both watts and VA to be separate units, even though they're dimensionally the same.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

By far, my least favorite unit I've come across is how cross section is sometimes defined. It comes out as m2*, but you get that from (particles/second)/(particles/second/area)).

*or, if you prefer barns, one of which is 10-28 meters2

Peelee’s Lotsey

19. - Top - End - #559

WolfInSheepsClothing

Why would cross section require particles

20. - Top - End - #560
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Yes"
    "Yes"
    "I guess so."

I once goofed writing a question, and out of an entire class, only one student asked if the vehicle (on wheels) was actually supposed to be traveling at over 300 miles per hour. IIRC I told her prior to the final that she didn't need to show up if she didn't want to, as she clearly had an A for the class.

Haven't read it. But first hand accounts are often interesting when you're looking into something.
    When I was a TA during my phd in civil engineering, we used to ask questions like "if 6 people of 90 kg stand on this balcony, what would be the tip displacement" or "if a wind of this much is blowing over this building, how much will it deflect". The solutions were extremely simplified (it was statics - a second years course) and we sometimes got results in the range of few hundred meters to kilometers. It was always fun to read answer of someone who does not have a sense of magnitude.

When I was a student, we were having field measurement and surveying course, and asked to measure the elevation difference between top and bottom of seats of university stadium. We asked a fellow group member to record the measurements with pen and paper, and asked her to calculate the result in the end. The correct answer was around 10 meters and when she said 132 meters, there was an awkward silence. So it is not as fun when you are involved in the case

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

It’s the only way that makes sense.

In America we measure efficiency in distance per volume, because in America bigger is always better.

The alternative is to measure volume per distance, which is absurd because it means the less fuel you use, the smaller the number. And smaller is always worse! Its clearly a ridiculous measure.
    Or put another way in America you want to know how far you can go on a tank of gas. In Europe you want to know how cheaply you can drive to work.

That checks out actually.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-12-20 at 04:32 AM.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Why would cross section require particles
    Because you are trying to measure the area where a particle you've just blown up, or accelerated to a close to c, might have crossed. Thus why they use barn, a absolutely tiny area (as in "you couldn't hit the side of that barn", as applied to trying to hit a uranium nucleus with a helium nucleus).

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-12-20 at 09:17 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

23. - Top - End - #563

There are some engineers who won't say "Bonjour" to you if you're not an engineer yourself.
    There's a famous story in the US, that took place at a NASA site.

President of the United States of America, John Fitzgerald Francis Kennedy: Hi, I'm Jack Kennedy. What are you doing?
    Janitor: Well, Mr. President, I'm helping put a man on the moon.

24. - Top - End - #564

Lizardfolk

Can we go back to the translation topic? I was quite enjoying that...

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Can we go back to the translation topic? I was quite enjoying that...
    Topics on an OotS thread tend to be quite similar to a Loodle on a sugar high.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #566

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Topics on an OotS thread tend to be quite similar to a Loodle on a sugar high.
    Wheeeee! Lets talk about Miko now!
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Incidentally, do you even know what a Loodle is?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #568

Both "the need of the many" and "there's only one right path" sound fitting for her afterlife, solely based on the foundation idea.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

Both "the need of the many" and "there's only one right path" sound fitting for her afterlife, solely based on the foundation idea.
    Arcadia is one of the Upper Planes, and Mechanus isn't bad I guess.

I really hope she does go to her proper afterlife instead of being turned into an undead monster or something. I really do.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #570

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Arcadia is one of the Upper Planes
    Indeed. That was always my guess until that strip came out, at which point a started to wonder.