New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default D&D Subclass Contest XII Voting Thread

Twelfth contest done, with 9 complete entries this time!

Simple rules. Vote for your top three picks in order. You can't vote for yourself. A number 1 vote is worth 3 points, a number 2 vote is worth 2, and a number 3 vote is worth one.

Entry Creator 1st 2nd 3rd
    Fighter: Invisible Fist BerzerkerUnit 0 1 2
    Monk: Way of the Telekinetic nickl_2000 0 1 2
    Monk: Dreamwalker Rawrawrawr 1 0 1
    Warlock: The Nilbog Patron RickAsWritten 3 0 0
    Monk: Way of the Stilled Tide AdAstra 1 1 0
    Barbarian: Path of the Flowminder Fnissalot 1 2 1
    Fighter: Jedi sengmeng 1 0 0
    Wizard: Soulweaver Phhase 0 1 1
    Sorcerer: Doll Origin thisdude9001 2 1 1

Classes unrepresented in Context X: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue.

And for our themes, Scaling Strangely carries over as last contest's runner up, alongside four randomly chosen themes. Pick your top two in order, a number one vote is worth 2 and a number 2 vote is worth one point.

Theme Description 1st 2nd
    Scaling Strangely Subclasses that scale from unusual values 2 1
    Make a Choice Subclasses which offer a choice for one or more features 0 0
    Hold My Ale Subclasses based on drinking or carousing 2 2
    Keep it Simple, Stupid Simple Subclasses 1 1
    My Way is Different Alternate or rare mechanics 1 2

This voting thread will stay open until the end of the day on December 15th. The following day I will post with the tallied results and declare a winner, then post the next contest thread. Good luck everyone!
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2019-12-16 at 03:39 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest XII Voting Thread

First: Path of the Flowminder. Besides the effects that seem to work, there's no way I'm going to reward someone ballsy enough to make a mind-based barbarian with anything other than first place.

Second: Doll Origin Sorcerer. Psychic damage conjured arrows that can become spells is a pretty cool concept.

Third: It was a tossup between the monks, and, well, a telekinetic should win any tossup, shouldn't they? Way of the Telekinetic wins.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

1) RickAsWritten's Warlock Patron - The Nilbog. I loved it in it's initial incarnation, I love the flavour of it, and I think it will be a whole boatload of fun to play. With the small modifications it's even better now.

2) Fnissalot's Path of the Flowminder. A smart barbarian is a defensive barbarian. It works, really well.

3) Phhase's Soulblade. I like the better then WOTCs version from the UA (even though I don't like Wizards in general).

Honorable Mention goes to WotC who decided to enter into the contest with their UA article.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2019-12-04 at 07:56 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

This was a tough one to judge. I really like a lot of them and though they are ranked 1-2-3, it's more like 1a-1b-1c.

1st - thisdude9001's Sorcerer Origin: Doll - I still don't quite get the name, but I absolutely love all the abilities. If I were to play this, I would flavor the bow as a needle and thread that I psychically command and attack with.

2nd - AdAstra's Monk: Way of the Stilled Tide - The more I read through this, the more I liked it. It's similar to Matt Mercer's Cobalt Soul, but pretty much better in every way. I like abilities that give me more reason to Dodge. I think it's an underused option.

3rd - Fnissalot's Barbarian: Path of the Flowminder - Finally a good option for ranged weapons. I like the theme and the simplicity of it.

Next Contest Vote:

1st - Hold My Ale

2nd - Scaling Strangely
    Last edited by RickAsWritten; 2019-12-04 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Next Contest Vote

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

1) sengmeng's Space Wizard Laser Sword Swinger i mean Jedi Fighter

IT'S OVER ACERAK! I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND!

2) Berzerkerunit's Invisible Fist Fighter

This one is deceptive. Since each Hand that you summon can carry as much as you can, this makes the class insanely flexible, which I'm a sucker for.

3) Rawrawrawr's Way of the Dreamwalker

This gives a strange and not unpleasant investigative twist to the Monk. I'd be really interested in watching someone playing this class optimally, as a supernatural Sherlock Holmes. It's refreshing to see something that is still powerful, but also is mostly not combat-focused.

Next Contest

1) Hold My Ale
    A class based around a chemical? Oh. I'd have fun with that.

2) My Way is Different
    I like unique things.

Speaking of, Scaling Strangely is pretty similar to My Way is Different. What's the distinction we're drawing here?

Also, for anyone who didn't get the reference I was making with Soulweaver (so, everyone, really), I was trying to recreate the character Tomix from the old game DragonFable and his unnecessarily flamboyant fighting style.
    Last edited by Phhase; 2019-12-03 at 07:24 PM.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

6. - Top - End - #6

Chimera

1- Nilbog Patron- This one is great. Wonderful theme, fun and (at least by my count) balanced mechanics. Looks like something right out of the PHB that I'd love to play or see played.

2- Path of the Flowminder- Fun theme that flips the script on a class with a strong existing archetype. Hard to do well, and this one does it.

3- Way of the Telekinetic- Fun mechanics and theme. Just the right amount of complicated.

For next contest's theme:

1- Keep it Simple Stupid

2- My Way Is Different
    Last edited by AdAstra; 2019-12-13 at 06:48 PM.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

1 Monk Way of the Stilled Tide
    2 Wizard Soulweaver
    3 Fighter Invisible Fist

1 Scaling Strangely
    2 KISS
    My limited homebrew experience
    oh hey didn't see you there

8. - Top - End - #8

1) Sorcerous Origin: Doll. I don't quite get it; there must be a reference I'm not familiar with, but I love what it does. Seems fun and flavorful. Can someone explain what the connection is with being under someone's control and the mind bow?

2) Dreamwalker Monk I like the role-play opportunities and uniqueness of it, just not the lack of combat utility. I wish I had a game going where this concept would fit.

3) Invisible Fist Fighter Seems like a tight, well-made subclass that builds on existing features of the class while also expanding it's functionality. Powerful but balanced, and not complicated.

1) Scaling Strangely

2) Hold My Ale
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2019-12-04 at 01:28 PM.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

1. Nilbog Patron: Great idea, solid execution.

2. Way of the Telekinetic: Does a good job of implementing the whole "telekinesis" schtick.

3. Doll: A very bizarre arcane archer with some interesting utility ability.

1. My Way is Different

2. Hold My Ale

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

It's officially that time again for MoleMage to tally and announce the results.

In third place, earning 8 points, we have the last class anyone expected to develop mind-powers. It's Fnissalot's Barbarian Path of the Flowminder! Just because you're angry doesn't mean you can't be smart angry.

We had a tie for most points earned, so I had to break out the tiebreaker rules for the first time since Contest VIII. Our first tiebreaker is whether both participants voted, and they did. The second tiebreaker is the participant who earned the greatest number of first place votes, giving us the following:

In second place, earning 9 points, we have thisdude9001's Doll Origin Sorcerer! Shoot thoughts at people (literally), or take them over with arrows made of psychic energy!

In first place, also earning 9 points, we have RickAsWritten's Nilbog Patron! For chaos-infused goblin fans everywhere (or just people who like to turn damage into health).

Congratulations to our winners!

In the category voting, our winner was Hold My Ale and our runner-up was Scaling Strangely, which means that will be included for voting next contest once again. Keep your eyes peeled for the new contest thread shortly.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2019-12-16 at 03:28 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.