New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default HELP! I need to fix my character and can't reroll.... (Blood Hunter)

Hello everyone!

My brother is a first time DM and built me a solo campaign around my character.

I figured I would try a fun combo of a sniper blood hunter with werewolf powers (Order of the Lycan), but the Blood Hunter is just not a great class for solo (at least the way he is currently built).

My brother gave me a Blinkdog as the Unearthed Arcana Ranger Revised Beast Master Bond (The blink dog will level up with me), but I am not confident he will help.

I was thinking about multi-classing into Hexblade Warlock with Pact of the Blade and Improved Pact weapon to make my Pact weapon a Longbow to fit my current playstyle with making a pact with an entity called the Dread Wolf (made up entity of my people) but I am not sure if this compliments Blood Hunter.

Current Stats: Level 3 Blood Hunter Order of the Lycan

Name: Ezekiel Silverfang (Zeek)
    Race: Wood Elf
    STR: 12
    DEX: 20
    CON: 15
    INT: 14
    WIS: 18
    CHA: 14
    Skill Proficiency: Acrobatics, Athletics, Insight, Investigation, Perception, Survival
    Background: Investigator.
    Fighting Style: Archery.

Backstory:
    Zeek is native born wood elf to a people who worship an entity called the dread wolf. Zeek is the embodiment of this entity and can become one with him (order of the lycan hybrid form).

Playstle: Abuse Mask of the Wild to stealth almost anywhere, take long distance shots to pick off as many enemies while stealthed, if I get surrounded or surprised I enter hybrid form and fight as a werewolf. Since I go solo I can really take my time, go slow, and take a ton of short rests (hence I am considering Warlock).

My brother has talked about increasing the difficulty and gave me a companion to help but I got him at the end of the last mission and haven't used him yet. But as stated above he is a blink dog named Fenris, with Companions Bond feature from revised ranger notably: "additional hit die every level, abilities improve when I get score increases, my proficiency added to its AC, Skills, saving throws, attacks bonus and damage rolls).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: HELP! I need to fix my character and can't reroll.... (Blood Hunter)

I don't think going Hexblade is going to really help you (especially since you maxed Dex out), if you want the Warlock theming then I'd say go Celestial. The bonus action healing and short rest recharging will do a great deal to help you survive solo, but I think you should also consider a Cleric dip. War Cleric will give you bonus action shots with your blood rite infused long bow, Forge will give you a +1 longbow a lot earlier than Warlock would and you'll get some healing and utility out of it.

Playing solo one option is also to give yourself allies, the DM's already given you an animal companion so adding a familiar can be of great value.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: HELP! I need to fix my character and can't reroll.... (Blood Hunter)

Has your brother seen the Sidekicks UA? While the pet blink dog is nice, having at least one other person fighting alongside you (who can also give you a healing potion when you go down) would be nice, and make encounters a lot easier to balance.

It also gives you someone to roleplay and bond with as you adventure, which is nice.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by micahaphone View Post
    Has your brother seen the Sidekicks UA? While the pet blink dog is nice, having at least one other person fighting alongside you (who can also give you a healing potion when you go down) would be nice, and make encounters a lot easier to balance.

It also gives you someone to roleplay and bond with as you adventure, which is nice.
    I second this. As interesting as a blink dog is, it will not help as much as your DM thinks it will. The article link can be found here.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

After Blood Hunter 5, go Cleric. You need to be able to heal.

EDIT:

I thought about this a bit more. What you truly need to do is absolutely maximize your action economy.

Crossbow Expert can get you a bonus action attack. If you go Cleric, Spiritual Weapon can do the same.

Constantly try to find ways to maximize your turn, always.
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2019-12-13 at 07:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    After Blood Hunter 5, go Cleric. You need to be able to heal.

EDIT:

I thought about this a bit more. What you truly need to do is absolutely maximize your action economy.

Crossbow Expert can get you a bonus action attack. If you go Cleric, Spiritual Weapon can do the same.

Constantly try to find ways to maximize your turn, always.
    Or better yet, multiclass at least 12 levels into Circle of the Shepherd Druid and use the Bear Totem and normal/upcasted Conjure Animals. In a single player campaign, you don't have to worry about taking too long during combat and there is no better way to maximize action economy.
    Last edited by Expected; 2019-12-14 at 05:03 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Expected View Post
    Or better yet, multiclass at least 12 levels into Circle of the Shepherd Druid and use the Bear Totem and normal/upcasted Conjure Animals. In a single player campaign, you don't have to worry about taking too long during combat and there is no better way to maximize action economy.
    I think you're right, Druid might be better than Cleric for a MC here. Wild Shape's utility, while not amazing in combat if Moon isn't selected (And I don't think Moon is a good choice here), it does add quite a bit. Solid healing spells, especially Healing Spirit between combats, along with their summon spells would go a long way. And they did finally get some decent damage spells in the Class Variant UA (Thunder Step on a Druid? Yes, please!)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Hirelings.

It gives you the action economy you need, fills in the gaps of your strategy and or tactics, and allows multiple roleplay opportunities for you and the GM. Further, if your character dies, you might carry on with one of your favorite hirelings (or sidekick). It solves all your problems and opens new opportunities.

Biggest challenge is for your GM brother to remember the spotlight favors your PC. But with levels lower than yours on average this should not be too hard. And it is OK for the GM to have your hirelings "get into trouble" or "bring unexpected help" as long as it is not too overshadowing.