New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Naruto Characters translated to D&D 5e

Hello everyone, this thread is to share your builds and ideas for how to translate the different characters from the Naruto world into D&D 5e. I started playing with 5e so I have no knowledge of anything that came before but if you do have builds from older versions please share I would love to see them. Please no homebrew material because that defeats the purpose and fun of trying to find the right combinations of classes and feats to create such a character.

I myself have made two builds/guides already and will post them both on this thread. I hope to get to see some nice builds and a fun discussion about the characters and what they probably would be in D&D.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Naruto Characters translated to D&D 5e

I have made my own version of Itachi using d&d 5th edition and hopefully this build is useful to others.

Now we all know the power of Uchiha Itachi and the abilities he gets with the Sharingan. For this build I ignore most of the Sharingan abilities such as Susanoo, the ability to see through every jutsu and copying it, and even Amaterasu to a certain extent. You might think whats left of it being close to Uchiha Itachi? Well this build is trying to create Itachi as what he is best known for, his genjutsu and tactical insight. It will have a solid core role-play aspect that you can explore without stretching the character to thin.

A full build will be looking like this: lvl2 Cleric (trickster domain), lvl2 Rogue, lvl16 Wizard (enchantment). Now you might wonder why not illusion. Well a quick explanation for that is even though genjutsu is explained as an illusion, most of its effects and power the user has over its victims come close to enchantment spells such as hold person. Also the powers that enchantment gives you fit more with the theme around Itachi as will be explained later.

Now I will explain the reason for the levels and multiclasses that I have chosen by giving a possible level up path to follow when you play and level up this type of Itachi build. I will explain how certain abilities translate to Itachi and his abilities. The first levels might seem odd and might not feel like the real thing, it will all fall in place once you reach level 5. please bear with me!

abilities we go for point buy, this because we want two stats to be at least 16 and one other to be 14 the rest is all dump. Here is how it could look like.

Str 8 (wont be used for anything combat related)
    Dex 15 (secondary stat used in combat for throwing kunai and shuriken, and your defense)
    Con 8 (to stay true to Itachi having an illness)
    Int 15 (primary stat used in combat, mainly using all your spells to enchant people and cast illusions...and the fireballs!!!)
    Wis 14 (mostly to be able to multiclass into cleric and Itachi is both intelligent and wise)
    Cha 10 (Itachi never was much of a talker)

the only alternative I could think of is switching the cha and str stats. It depends on what your personal taste is. Having Con at 8 is a risk and a big disadvantage would most players say, but you are playing as Uchiha Itachi!!! Play smart and you wont even get into close combat or become the target of an attack most of the times.

The race to go with will be High Elf giving you +2 dex and +1 int. The Darkvision, Keen Senses(prof in perception), and Fey ancestry(advantage on saves against charmed, magic cant put you to sleep) compliment some of the abilities tied to the Sharingan. Furthermore having a cantrip at first level for this build is a must, I recommend taking the firebolt cantrip since Uchiha is known for its fire nature.

Next choose the sage background to gain proficiency in Arcana and History which go well with your high int stat.

The 1st lvl class to start with will be Rogue, you get the best options for proficiencies with this class to create this type of Itachi. Having your highest abilities (Dex, Int) as your saving throws helps a lot.
    The four skills to choose should be Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, and Investigation. The 3 dex skills because it fits the ninja theme and investigation because that fits the Sharingans power.
    Rogue lvl 1 Expertise, go for Stealth and Investigation to pump up the power of the Sharingan and making sure you will succeed those stealth rolls.
    for starting equipment I would recommend to try and roll for money and get enough gold to buy:
    - studded leather (this will give you 15 AC) 45 gold
    - dagger (your kunai for close combat) 1 gold
    - 10 darts (the shuriken) 5 silver
    - Orb or crystal (ask dm if this may be placed inside one of your eye sockets for sharingan roleplay) 10/20 gold
    - explorer pack (cheapest and best starter equipment pack to use) 10 gold

all together coming to a total of 66/76 gold and 5 silver

Reaching lvl 2 you multiclass your first lvl into Wizard. So at this point you are lvl 1 Rogue, lvl 1 Wizard. The six 1st lvl spells that you choose should be:
    - Color Spray (an illusion spell that has the potential of blinding creatures in a 15 foot cone originating from you. !watch out for partymembers!)
    - Find Familiar (just so you can flavor the raven to be a crow as your familiar)
    - Shield (it is a little bit like the defensive power of the Susanoo and having your AC15 becoming 20 as a reaction is always nice when needed)
    - Silent Image (the first of many illusion spells that can be used for distraction and misdirection)
    - Sleep (a spell that can be seen as genjutsu since people affected by weaker genjutsu sometimes look like they are unconsious or sleeping)
    - Magic Missile (can be flavored as a shuriken jutsu, and we all know Itachi's insane shuriken skills)

Honorable mentions and why I didn't recommend them:
    - Burning Hands (It fits Uchiha's fire jutsu, which Itachi uses aswell, but it will become useless real fast once you get spells like Scorching Rays)
    - Charm person (you get this spell automatic as a cleric spell from the trickery domain when you reach lvl 3)
    - Detect magic (you pick this for one of your cleric prepared spells when you reach lvl 3)

Reaching lvl 3 you multiclass your first lvl into Cleric. So at this point you are lvl 1 Rogue, lvl 1 Wizard, lvl 1 Cleric.
    Pick the Trickery domain for your cleric to have always Charm Person and Disguise Self prepared.
    Blessing of the Trickster is a nice bonus to give someone else advantage on stealth checks for one hour.
    As for spells you can prepare three spells, here are the recommended:
    - Command (you put them under a genjutsu and manipulate them, a bit like how Itachi made Kabuto stop his own jutsu)
    - Detect Magic (The power of the Sharingan to see Chakra)
    - the third prepared spell is open to fill in as you see fit, this can be to fulfill a certain roll in your party when needed.

Reaching lvl 4 gain a second lvl in Rogue. So at this point you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 1 Wizard, lvl 1 Cleric. The reason for picking Rogue is because at this lvl you really want to have more movement options in combat to stay out of harms way.
    Cunning action gives you this freedom, you can dash, disengage, or hide as a bonus action. You basically always want to hide before you end your turn if possible, otherwise create distance between the enemy but stay in range for your own spells and attacks.

Reaching lvl 5 gain a second lvl in Wizard. So at this point you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 2 Wizard, lvl 1 Cleric.
    Choose enchantment for your school because its abilities translate better to how Itachi's genjutsu works instead of the illusion school.
    The recommended spells to choose are:
    - Longstrider (run faster like a ninja)
    - Feather Fall (have you seen from how high they sometimes jump and land as if its nothing?)

Further you gain Hypnotic Gaze. A quick summery of what it does, as an action choose a creature within 5 feet that you see and charm it on a failed wisdom save. The charmed creatures speed drops to 0 and is incapacitated. Every turn you can use an action to extend its effect for another round as long as you stay within 5 feet. Do not look into Itachi's eyes or you become caught in his genjutsu.

Reaching lvl 6 gain a lvl in Cleric. So at this point you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 2 Wizard, lvl 2 Cleric. Here comes the best part!
    You can use the clerics Channel Divinity to create an illusory duplicate of yourself. This is basically a shadow clone. You can move the duplicate up to 30 feet as a bonus action and you can cast your spells through it as if you where standing in the illusions space. It only lasts for a minute and costs concentration but damn is it a sweet ability to keep yourself hidden and just casting your damaging spells and such through the duplicate.
    side note at this point it doesn't really matter what spells you will prepare for your Cleric spells this is all free for your own input since the spells that you choose for the Wizard are of more importance. A tip is to make sure the spells that you end up choosing do not require a save roll or attack roll since you only have 14 Wis.

Reaching lvl 7 gain a lvl in Wizard. So at this point you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 3 Wizard, lvl 2 Cleric. From this point on you will only need to lvl up Wizard. I will still provide what spells to choose and why, and what feat to choose or which stats to boost.
    Recommended spells to choose:
    - Phantasmal Force (if this doesn't shout genjutsu! literally creating a phantasmal object or creature that only the target sees and will rationalize any illogical outcomes from interacting with the phantasm.)
    - Scorching Ray (this spell screams Phoenix Sage Fire Technique)

Reaching lvl 8 you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 4 Wizard, lvl 2 Cleric.
    At this stage we can finally put a full +2 stat boost into Intelligence, because the ability score improvement, making it 18.
    - Mirror Image (gives you more defensive options as you create some clones beside you)
    - Misty Step (I like to think of it as you disperse into crows like the crow clone jutsu and reappear again 30 feet away)

Reaching lvl 9 you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 5 Wizard, lvl 2 Cleric.
    - Fireball (aka Fireball jutsu)
    - Hypnotic Pattern (targets in a 30 foot cube are under a genjutsu when they fail a wisdom save incapacitating them and dropping speed to 0)

Reaching lvl 10 you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 6 Wizard, lvl 2 Cleric.
    You gain Instinctive Charm, when you see a creature within 30 feet make an attack roll against you, you can use your reaction to divert the attack provided that another creature is within the attack's range. This is such a good defensive ability and you can use it every round as long as you haven't used a reaction already. You can totally role-play it as if you have put the attacker under a genjutsu making it think the new target is actually you.
    - Major Image (the upgraded version of Silent Image)
    - See Invisibility (definitely a power the Sharingan has with the ability to see through every jutsu and able to see chakra)

Reaching lvl 11 you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 7 Wizard, lvl 2 Cleric.
    - Phantasmal Killer (a genjutsu that does actual damage)
    - Wall of Fire (the closest thing that you can get to Amaterasu)

Reaching lvl 12 you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 8 Wizard, lvl 2 Cleric.
    You get your second ability score improvement. At this point you can go one of two ways, either increase your Int +1 and Dex +1 or take the Observant feat giving you a +1 that you put in Int. With Observant you can also read lips and gain a +5 bonus to your passive wisdom and passive intelligence scores (boost that Sharingan). For this stage I choose the feat first making my Int 19 and keeping my Dex 17, so the next ability score improvement I can boost them to Int 20 and Dex 18.
    - Hallucinatory Terrain (getting an illusion that can effect a large area, eventhough it doesnt translate that well as genjutsu, is a nice pick)
    - Spider Climb (stand and walk on any surface as if you imbued chakra in your feet like they do in Naruto)

Reaching lvl 13 you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 9 Wizard, lvl 2 Cleric.
    - Immolation (I take my earlier statement back this is the closest to Amaterasu as you can get)
    - Mislead (so many possibilities to flavor this as, something like a crow clone or substitution jutsu)

Reaching lvl 14 you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 10 Wizard, lvl 2 Cleric.
    You gain the ability to target a second creature with enchantment spells that can normally only target one. A huge plus being able to charm two creatures with one concentration spell as the single target enchantment spells can be very powerful and useful in their effects.
    - Counterspell (your sharingan can see through every jutsu so just counter that spell)
    - Geas (you can command a creature and force it to carry out something or refrain from doing something, and it will get 5D10 psychic damage if it acts in a manner counter to your instructions. A lot of possibilities with this spell to help you.)

Reaching lvl 15 you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 11 Wizard, lvl 2 Cleric.
    - Eye Bite (this is a Sharingan genjutsu when you read its description, flavor it as if your eyes gain a Mangekyou pattern or something)
    - True Seeing (keeping the Sharingan theme this spell doesn't need an explanation)

Reaching lvl 16 you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 12 Wizard, lvl 2 Cleric.
    Now as said earlier for this ability score improvement go for +1 Int and +1 Dex making them Int 20 and Dex 18 boosting both your AC, kunai & shuriken attacks, and Spell attack power and the DC.
    - Hold Person (since you have the ability to target an extra creature with single target enchantments this is a good fill for your genjutsu)
    - Hold Monster (same as Hold Person, otherwise the only spell who would have benefit from the ability would have been Geas)

Reaching lvl 17 you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 13 Wizard, lvl 2 Cleric.
    The lvl 7 spells are a bit lackluster when it comes to the type of Itachi play-style this build focuses on. Pick what you like or you can follow the recommended.
    - Forcecage (can be a nice combo with the Invoke Duplicity ability of the trickery Cleric, create the perfect copy and later place yourself inside the Forcecage protecting yourself from any harm and using the duplicate to cast spells with. you can even flavor the Forcecage to look like a Susanoo)
    - Project Image (a strong illusion clone spell where you can be miles away, always nice for scouting areas and such)

Reaching lvl 18 you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 14 Wizard, lvl 2 Cleric.
    Alter Memories is a fun bonus effect that you can use when you have enchanted a creature. Being able to let it forget an hour of its memories and not knowing that you have charmed it.
    - Programmed Illusion (just like Itachi was able to set a trigger for his crow to come out of Naruto you can do the same with an illusion)
    - Mass Suggestion (think about it, putting up to 12 creatures under a genjutsu and make them follow a course of actions)

Reaching lvl 19 you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 15 Wizard, lvl 2 Cleric.
    - Dominate Monster (use the Sharingan genjutsu and completely control a creature)
    - Feeblemind (a strong enchantment that can make enemy wizards useless and its a single target enchantment so you can target one extra)

Reaching lvl 20 you are lvl 2 Rogue, lvl 16 Wizard, lvl 2 Cleric.
    The final ability score improvement I would take the Mobile feat, because its a good boost to some extra movement during your turns and you can safely get out of close combat if you attacked them first giving you the chance to use your bonus action for either Hide or Dash.
    Recommended spell to choose:
    - Power Word Stun (you could roleplay it that instead of speaking a word you give a nasty glare with your Sharingan)
    - Mirrage Arcane (the buffed up version of Hallucinatory Terrain)

In the end you will only have around 67 hit-points but that shouldn't be a problem if you can play smart, safe, and you have a reasonable DM that doesn't come up with deus ex machina scenarios just so he can damage you. Because in a lot of environments you can stay hidden as long as it are not all plain boring open areas.

This is of course a guide build and you can switch around or choose other spells or feats as you see fit but personally I have had a great time playing this build at lvl 12. I really felt like Itachi always being a few steps ahead of my opponents with my illusions and enchantments making sure I'm always safe.
    PS the reason I didnt specify any cantrips is because you can get so many and they wont have a major impact on the way you play this build.

This is my version of Itachi Uchiha when he wasn't becoming blind yet and I hope you like it.
    Last edited by Greenseen; 2017-11-04 at 05:02 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Minato Namikaze from Naruto is an awesome character and really difficult to create as a D&D character, but I tried and here is the result.

Now, Minato has a vast array of strong abilities such as his Summoning, Sealing, Teleportation, Rasengan, Sage mode, and so on. Trying to put all this into one character build will ultimately stretch a character to thin on all fronts. So for this build we will focus on his most renowned jutsu, that gave him the nickname Yellow Flash, Flying Thunder God Technique.

A full build will look like this: lvl 13 Sorcerer (Draconic Bloodline) lvl 7 Monk (Shadow)
    Now I will explain the reason for the levels and multiclasses that I have chosen by giving a possible level up path to follow when you play and level up this type of Minato build. I will explain how certain abilities translate to Minato and his abilities.

Abilities we go for point buy because we want to have full control on what we get. For this build we need to get two 16's for the main abilities. Here is what it could look like.

Str 8 (wont be used for anything)
    Dex 15 (primary stat for combat and skills)
    Con 10 (just so you dont get -1 hitpoints with lvling up)
    Int 10 (even though Minato is super intelligent not used for this build)
    Wis 14 (third important stat for the build)
    Cha 14 (secondary stat for your spells in combat, and Minato always seems very charismatic to me)

You could go with Int 8 giving space for bumping Wis to 15 which will give you more freedom later down the line when getting the ability score improvements but having such a low intelligence felt uncharacteristic to me so we will follow this path.

The race to go with here is Half-Elf giving you a +2 in Cha and you will choose Wis and Dex for the +1. for the skill proficiency choose stealth and perception because. Stealth for obvious ninja reasons and perception because Minato is a sensory type.

Next take the Folk Hero background to get Survival and Animal Handling, but mostly because this background fits the fact he was famous for his deeds during the third ninja war and getting the nickname Yellow Flash.

The 1st lvl class to start will be Sorcerer, you get the best proficiency options compared to starting as a Monk. The saving throw proficiency for Con and Cha is better than Str (what would have been a waste) and Dex (only useful one). Also you get the weapon proficiency from the monk when you multiclass into it.
    The two skills to pick are Insight (Minato has insane observation skills and can determine someones plans and motivations) and Persuasion (Minato is a smooth talker and knows when to fight and when to just talk)
    For the Sorcerer Origin choose Draconic Bloodline and go for Gold dragon because it fits the bright yellow hair of Minato and also fire is one of his chakra natures. This gives you a +1 to your hitpoints and when you lvl up which is always nice. Also it gives you a AC of 13+ dex modifier when not wearing any armor, making your AC 16.
    The first to spells to pick will be:
    - Detect Magic (to fit the sensory theme of Minato)
    - Shield (Minato is always quick with reacting to, and countering enemy attacks)
    For cantrips take:
    - Gust (for his wind chakra nature)
    - Shocking Grasp (for his lightning chakra nature)
    - Fire Bolt (for his fire chakra nature)
    - True Strike (this spot is open for your own input but i choose True Strike)
    For starting equipment I would recommend to try and roll for money and get enough gold to buy:
    - a diamond worth at least 50gp (it is not on the list so ask your DM first) 50 gold
    - 5x daggers (these are your special kunai that Minato uses, mostly for fluff but always useful) 10 gold
    - explorer pack (cheapest and best starter equipment pack to use) 10 gold
    - arcane focus Crystal (because you could easily work it into a pendant or something so you wont have to hold it) 10 gold

all together coming to a total of 80 gold, if the DM wont let you buy the diamond like this you can just save up the money and buy it asap. You wont need anything else to start of with.

Reaching lvl 2 you multiclass your first lvl into Monk. So at this point you are lvl 1 Sorcerer, lvl 1 Monk.
    Monk gives you the melee attack power that you need for playing Minato and you will be switching how you calculate you AC later on once you gain more Wis and Dex.

Reaching lvl 3 gain a lvl in Sorcerer. So at this point you are lvl 2 Sorcerer, lvl 1 Monk.
    You gain Font of Magic to swap your two Sorcery points for a lvl 1 spell slot. Also you learn a new spell which will be:
    - Chromatic Orb (this is why you need the 50gp diamond, you can use it to be one of the three chakra natures that Minato possesses and it kind of looks like a Rasengan only that you can hurl it 90 feet)

Reaching lvl 4 gain a lvl in Sorcerer. So at this point you are lvl 3 Sorcerer, lvl 1 Monk.
    You gain Meta Magic and the two options that you will pick are:
    - Quickened Spell (Minato is one of the fastest ninjas and can weave hand signs faster than most)
    - Twinned Spell (only Chromatic Orb benifits from this at the moment but wait for your first third lvl spell)
    You also learn a new spell and that should be:
    - Misty Step (finally the first spell to play like the Yellow Flash, start teleporting around the battlefield)

Reaching lvl 5 gain a lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 3 Sorcerer, lvl 2 Monk.
    You gain Ki and with it some more options during combat to move around and start hitting more often.
    The +10 to movement when not wearing armor or carrying a shield is perfect and fits with Minato being so fast.

Reaching lvl 6 gain a lvl in Sorcerer. So at this point you are lvl 4 Sorcerer, lvl 2 Monk.
    For the ability score improvement go for +2 into Dex giving you +1 to AC, to hit, and damage with your melee attacks.
    The extra cantrips that you can choose from this point are up irrelevant so you can pick what you like.
    Recommended spell to learn is:
    - Mirror Image (clone jutsu that does not require concentration)

Reaching lvl 7 gain a lvl in Sorcerer. So at this point you are lvl 5 Sorcerer, lvl 2 Monk.
    Recommended spell to learn:
    - Haste (now this is befitting of the Yellow Flash and with twinned spell you can let a party member join in on the fun)

Reaching lvl 8 gain a lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 5 Sorcerer, lvl 3 Monk.
    At this point I had difficulty choosing, Way of the Open Hand gives a lot of strong effects to your attacks early on, but Way of Shadow has a nice teleportation skill later on. You can go either way, but I went with Way of Shadow this guide for the ability to just flash around like Minato in shadows.
    The spells that you can cast using Ki points with the Shadow Arts is a nice bonus.
    Deflect Missiles is great and fits Minato's quick reaction time to attackers.

Reaching lvl 9 gain a lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 5 Sorcerer, lvl 4 Monk.
    For the ability score improvement take the Feat Resilient and choose Wisdom making your Wis 16. This benefits almost all your skills and your AC becomes 17 with both the Sorcerer and Monk method. From this point on use the Monk AC method.
    Slow Fall, because all ninjas can jump from insane heights as if its nothing.

Reaching lvl 10 gain a lvl in Sorcerer. So at this point you are lvl 6 Sorcerer, lvl 4 Monk.
    You gain Elemental Affinity that will boost the damage of your fire nature jutsu's.
    - Fireball (so that you have another option instead of Chromatic Orb, even though we dont know if Minato can cast the Fireball Technique its a good pick giving you a bit more offensive options for hordes of enemies)

Reaching lvl 11 gain a lvl in Sorcerer. So at this point you are lvl 7 Sorcerer, lvl 4 Monk.
    - Dimension Door (FLYING THUNDER GOD TECHNIQUE!!! at least one with a bit more range then Misty Step)

Reaching lvl 12 gain a lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 7 Sorcerer, lvl 5 Monk.
    You gain an extra attack and the possibility to stun someone for 1 Ki point. Also your unarmed attacks now do D6 damage.

Reaching lvl 13 gain a lvl in Sorcerer. So at this point you are lvl 8 Sorcerer, lvl 5 Monk.
    For the ability score improvement put +2 into Wisdom again, making your AC 18 and also benefiting most of your skills and your Ki attacks. The reason that we do not Improve Charisma is because most of the Spells from the Sorcerer do not require an attack roll or a save roll, and having spell attack +8, spell DC 16 is still pretty high. Also having higher AC and not being hit fits Minato better.
    - Banishment (can be flavored as a sealing jutsu)

Reaching lvl 14 gain a lvl in Sorcerer. So at this point you are lvl 9 Sorcerer, lvl 5 Monk.
    - Teleportation Circle (here comes the big Flying Thunder God Technique, it will require some consultation with your DM but this can create so many awesome roleplaying scenarios as Minato)

Reaching lvl 15 gain a lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 9 Sorcerer, lvl 6 Monk.
    It took a while but your unarmed strikes now count as magical, also you gain an extra +5 movement.
    But this is the ability that we really wanted, Shadow Step! Fighting in areas with dim light and/or darkness becomes heaven as you just teleport around using only bonus actions.

Reaching lvl 16 gain a lvl in Sorcerer. So at this point you are lvl 10 Sorcerer, lvl 6 Monk.
    For the extra Meta Magic I give you two options:
    - Distant Spell (increasing the range of almost all your teleportation jutsu's and attack spells)
    or
    - Subtle Spell (for roleplaying that Minato hardly needs to use signs, being stealthy when casting, and also being able to teleport away when you are being restrained and such)
    - Clairvoyance (Minato is a sensory type after all so having this spell will help you roleplay that more)

Reaching lvl 17 gain a lvl in Sorcerer. So at this point you are lvl 11 Sorcerer, lvl 6 Monk.
    - Arcane Gate (Teleportation that can be useful in many situations)

Reaching lvl 18 gain a lvl in Sorcerer. So at this point you are lvl 12 Sorcerer, lvl 6 Monk.
    For the ability score improvement choose +2 boost to your Dexterity, giving you +1 to AC, to hit, and damage. How does it feel having 19 AC without wearing armor? Feels good right.

Reaching lvl 19 gain a lvl in Sorcerer. So at this point you are lvl 13 Sorcerer, lvl 6 Monk.
    - Teleport (the final form of the Flying Thunder God Technique)

Reaching lvl 20 gain a lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 13 Sorcerer, lvl 7 Monk.
    Gaining Evasion is great for your quick reaction-time to dodge out of harms way and Stillness of Mind is always a nice bonus to have.

This is the end of the guide, I hope you found it useful and that it is as close to the real thing as possible. There might be a few things that you could switch around such as instead of taking the Resilient feat at lvl 9 when you increase monk to lvl 4 take the Observant feat and increase wisdom with that. This gives you a passive perception of 23 at lvl 20.
    This build is not meant to be OP in combat but instead to have fun in combat and being able to get out of dodge at any time. I love roleplaying a lot and I try to make that the core of my character builds and still be useful to the group either in combat with doing damage or support or out of combat with support and/or roleplay.

Let me know what you think and if you have a request for a certain character.
    Last edited by Greenseen; 2017-10-19 at 06:51 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Love em! Always interested in this type of character builds, keep it up!
    Lelouch vi Britannia by Gnomish Wanderer

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Why not just play the naruto d20 game
    Skully boyfriend's lead to skully wendigo weddings.
    Spoiler: Linklele
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Sariel Vailo View Post
    Why not just play the naruto d20 game
    I'll be honest, I didn't know it existed, and my gaming group doesn't watch naruto. but these concepts are really cool

7. - Top - End - #7

If ua allowed you can do most everyrhung with a combo of monk and mystic. I like doubling down on minato by castinf darkness on a dagger, making it much more like the kunai marked with the teleport sign thing. If it hits the enemy, awesome. Bonus action shadow step in and hit with your swcond attack.

If your dm is permissive enough, you can shadow step to your dagger midflight even if you miss

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthy1 View Post
    I'll be honest, I didn't know it existed, and my gaming group doesn't watch naruto. but these concepts are really cool
    Its awesome but it plays with some 3.5 rules did i have fun oh hells yeah
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcangel4774 View Post
    If ua allowed you can do most everyrhung with a combo of monk and mystic. I like doubling down on minato by castinf darkness on a dagger, making it much more like the kunai marked with the teleport sign thing. If it hits the enemy, awesome. Bonus action shadow step in and hit with your swcond attack.

If your dm is permissive enough, you can shadow step to your dagger midflight even if you miss
    Love it! there are a lot of cool combo´s that you can do if you are creative enough and the DM allows it!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sariel Vailo View Post
    Its awesome but it plays with some 3.5 rules did i have fun oh hells yeah
    I also never heard of it. But yea my friends dont watch Naruto and we all play D&D 5e, so I like to just translate them into the D&D setting. Its a lot of fun and you can get some characters with unique playstyles.

11. - Top - End - #11

Kobold

Here is a easy one Neji is just a Straight monk way of the open fist. You have the stunning strike as hitting Chakra points.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Zanthy1 made a request for Nagato or Pain next. So here is a version that I made to recreate Nagato in D&D. First I will break down the powers of the six paths and what spells could be used to mimic these paths. I only searched for actual spells to mimic the powers, because I will be making Nagato when he was revived by Kabuto. To do that I won’t be able to focus on class abilities to much. I might however try and create every path on its own in the future, but we shall see.

Naraka path:
    - Interrogate; Zone of Truth
    - Restore bodies; Cure Wounds, Lesser Restoration, Greater Restoration, Heal

Deva path:
    - Deflect attacks; Shield, Wind Wall, Wall of Force
    - Almighty Push; Thunderwave, Gust of Wind, Telekinesis
    - Levitating; Levitate, Fly
    - Universal pull; Thorn Whip, Telekinesis

Preta path:
    - Absorb and deflect ninjutsu; Absorb Elements, Shield, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Globe of Invulerability, Antimagic Field
    - absorb chakra; vampiric touch

Human path:
    - Reading thoughts; Detect Thoughts
    - Instantly killing someone by ripping soul out; not really possible only through lvl 17 monk quivering palm and that will limit you for other effects.

Animal path:
    - Summoning beasts to battle; Conjure Animals, Conjure Minor Elemental, Conjure Woodland Beings, Conjure Elemental

Asura path:
    - Transform body to gain advantage and create weapons; Jump, Longstride, Alter Self, Barkskin, Haste, Stoneskin
    - Use magic missile for its missile like attacks

Outer path:
    - Revive dead; Revivify, Raise Dead
    - Immobilize bodies; Hold Person, Hold Monster
    - Possibly control bodies; Animate Dead

To create Nagato with all the paths we will need to multiclass into: Lvl5 druid (circle of the land/ coast), lvl5 cleric (life domain), lvl10 wizard (school of abjuration).
    The reason for Coast as the circle of land for the druid, is because the lvl3 spells that you get are good ninja abilities. Life domain for the cleric gives a lot of always prepared spells that you need. The school for the wizard was hard to choose, I went with abjuration because a lot of spells that you will use are abjuration. Also the ward that you can create to soak up damage is great and you can have that be like an ability of the Deva path. Another good choice could be Necromany because it fits Nagato as being the last Pain having control over death. Also Divination could work with the ability to change two dice rolls after a long rest and the Third Eye ability can work well as a Rinnegan power.

Now comes the tricky part, how to build up this character. Because we are trying to put all the different powers of all the Pains into one there isn’t a best path to follow but I will try and give a good example where you will feel like Nagato early on without being underpowered or feel useless.

Abilities we go for point buy, this because we want to stats to be at least 16 one at 14 and the rest is dump. Here is how it could look like.
    Str 8 (wont be used for anything)
    Dex 14 (to have at least some AC while wearing medium armor and a chance to hit back if you come into close combat)
    Con 10 (just to not get a negative modifier on it)
    Int 15 (for all the wizard spells)
    Wis 15 (for all the cleric and druic spells)
    Cha 8 (not needed for anything)

The race to go with is Human Variant to make your wis and int both 16 and getting a feat early on. Also for the skill go with perception. The feat that you will be choosing is War Caster. The reason why is, you will be wielding a shield in this build and not having any penalty for casting when you are wielding something in your hands is a must. Plus having advantage on constitution saves for concentration and being able to cast a spell for you opportunity attack is nice.

Next go with the Urchin background because it fits Nagato’s actual backstory. Gaining Sleight of Hand and Stealth as skills is not too bad when you have 14 dex.

The 1st lvl class to start with will be Cleric, you get the best options for proficiencies with this class. The two skills to choose should be Insight and History. The Domain to choose is Life, this gives you Cure Wounds and Bless as always prepared in your spell list.

For starting equipment go for the scale mail, light crossbow with bolts, explorer’s pack, shield & holy symbol, and ask your DM if you can switch the mace for a short sword. If he doesn’t allow it roll for gold and buy the items needed and you can ignore the light crossbow with bolts if needed.

The cleric has every spell available to prepare, from the cleric spell list, as long as they have the appropriate spell slots to cast them. I will tell you what spells to have prepared that you will need to play Nagato. And starting of as an lvl 1 cleric you will go with these 4 spells:
    - Shield of Faith (it fits the Preta path)
    - Detect magic (it goes with the power of the Rinnegan)
    - Inflict Wounds (see it as if you ripped a piece of its soul out with the Human path)
    - Healing Word (just to have that extra healing as a secondary healer in the group)
    For cantrips you can choose what you want, I went with Guidance, Light, and Spare the Dying for some extra utility.

Reaching lvl 2 you multiclass your first lvl into Wizard. So at this point you are lvl 1 Cleric, lvl 1 Wizard.
    The six first lvl spells should be:
    - Absorb Elements (fitting the Preta path of absorbing ninjutsu)
    - Burning hands (Nagato can use Fire element jutsu)
    - Feather Fall (Deva path Pain could levitate so being able to feather fall seems like a given)
    - Shield (fits both Deva and Preta path, depends on how you flavour it)
    - Thunderwave (Almighty push!)
    - Magic Missile (for the Asura paths missiles)

For cantrips you can pick what you want.

Reaching lvl 3 you multiclass your first lvl into Druid. So at this point you are lvl 1 Cleric, lvl 1 Wizard, lvl 1 Druid. The 4 spells that you can prepare for druid should be:
    - Animal Friendship (a possible way to get a temporary beast companion instead of having the summon from the Animal path)
    - Earth Tremor (Nagato can use Earth element jutsu, normally I don’t use Elemental Evil for my guides but I make an exception for this one)
    - Jump (fits the Asura path, modifying its own body with machine like contraptions)
    - Longstrider (same as Jump)

For one of the two cantrips that you learn, take Thorn Whip as it’s the first option that you get for some sort of Universal pull.

Reaching lvl 4 gain a second lvl in Wizard. So at this point you are lvl 1 Cleric, lvl 2 Wizard, lvl 1 Druid.
    Choose the Abjuration school and pick these two spells to learn:
    - Witch Bolt (Nagato can use Lightning element jutsu)
    - Alarm (not fitting a Path directly but being able to cast it as a ritual gives you more utility without expending spell slots)

Reaching lvl 5 gain another lvl in Wizard. So at this point you are lvl 1 Cleric, lvl 3 Wizard, lvl 1 Druid.
    - Detect Thoughts (Human path and a way to extract information, only this isnt as deadly as in the anime)
    - Hold Person (Outer path, without having to stick rods into the target first)

Reaching lvl 6 gain a second lvl in Druid. So at this point you are lvl 1 Cleric, lvl 3 Wizard, lvl 2 Druid.
    Choose Circle of the Land and pick the Coast as your terrain so you always have Mirror Image and Misty Step prepared for you Druid spells.
    You do gain Wild Shape but that is more a bonus gimmick rather then something befitting Nagato.
    You can prepare an extra spell and I choose to go for Speak with Animals because it’s a ritual so it won’t use up needed spell slots.

Reaching lvl 7 gain another lvl in Druid. So at this point you are lvl 1 Cleric, lvl 3 Wizard, lvl 3 Druid.
    For the extra spell to prepare go with Pass without trace as you can now cast second lvl spells for the Druid.

Reaching lvl 8 gain another lvl in Druid. So at this point you are lvl 1 Cleric, lvl 3 Wizard, lvl 4 Druid.
    There isn’t a particular spell to add to the prepared spells for Druid at this point.
    For the ability score improvement increase Wisdom with +2, making it 18.

Reaching lvl 9 gain the last lvl in Druid. So at this point you are lvl 1 Cleric, lvl 3 Wizard, lvl 5 Druid.
    The recommended extra spell to prepare for Druid is:
    -Conjure Animals (finally something worthy of the Animal path summoning jutsu)

Reaching lvl 10 gain a second lvl in Cleric. So at this point you are lvl 2 Cleric, lvl 3 Wizard, lvl 5 Druid.
    There isn’t much that you will gain this late for this Cleric lvl that will have much of an impact. The extra Cleric spell that you can prepare at this lvl will be used for the next lvl up.

Reaching lvl 11 gain another lvl in Cleric. So at this point you are lvl 3 Cleric, lvl 3 Wizard, lvl 5 Druid.
    Now you gain somethings for the Cleric that we need, such as having Lesser Restoration always prepared that fits the Naraka path and the recommended spells to prepare are:
    -Gentle Repose (Outer path having control over death)
    -Zone of Truth (Also the Naraka path where you can interrogate others)

Reaching lvl 12 gain another lvl in Wizard. So at this point you are lvl 3 Cleric, lvl 4 Wizard, lvl 5 Druid.
    The ability score improvement should go into +2 to intelligence, making it 18.
    -Scorching Ray (Nagato knows Fire elemental jutsu)
    -See invisibility (powers of the Rinnegan)

Reaching lvl 13 gain another lvl in Wizard. So at this point you are lvl 3 Cleric, lvl 5 Wizard, lvl 5 Druid.
    -Counter Spell (fits the Preta path)
    -Haste (fits the Asura path if you cast it on yourself)

Reaching lvl 14 gain a lvl in Cleric. So at this point you are lvl 4 Cleric, lvl 5 Wizard, lvl 5 Druid.
    For the ability score improvement choose the Feat, Alert. This fits a wielder of the Rinnegan, gaining +5 to initiative and not being able to be surprised.
    The extra spell that you can prepare will be used for a higher spell slot later on.

Reaching lvl 15 gain a lvl in Wizard. So at this point you are lvl 4 Cleric, lvl 6 Wizard, lvl 5 Druid.
    -Fly (like how the Deva path pain flew up before completely destroying Konoha, this also has more freedom then Levitate)
    -Vampiric Touch (Like how the Preta path absorbs chakra from its victims)

Reaching lvl 16 gain a lvl in Cleric. So at this point you are lvl 5 Cleric, lvl 6 Wizard, lvl 5 Druid.
    You finally have Revivify always prepared for your Cleric spells at this lvl.
    A recommended spell to add to your prepared spell list would be Remove Curse. Just to have some extra usefulness for different situations.

Reaching lvl 17 gain a lvl in Wizard. So at this point you are lvl 5 Cleric, lvl 7 Wizard, lvl 5 Druid.
    -Fireball (Nagato can use Fire element jutsu and you could also flavour it to fit an Asura path attack)
    -Lightning Bolt (Nagato can use Lightning Element jutsu, and you could also flavour it to fit an Asura path attack)

Reaching lvl 18 gain another lvl in Wizard. So at this point you are lvl 5 Cleric, lvl 8 Wizard, lvl 5 Druid.
    For the ability score improvement increase intelligence with +2 to make it 20.
    Recommended spells to choose are:
    None! At this lvl there aren’t really any recommendations to make.

Reaching lvl 19 gain another lvl in Wizard. So at this point you are lvl 5 Cleric, lvl 9 Wizard, lvl 5 Druid.
    -Telekinesis (finally the ultimate form of almighty push and universal pull)
    -Conjure Elemental (not an actual animal but another summoning option for the Animal path)

Reaching lvl 20 gain the last lvl in Wizard. So at this point you are lvl 5 Cleric, lvl 10 Wizard, lvl 5 Druid.
    -Hold Monster (the Outer path immobilizing someone, but without the rods)
    -Arcane Eye (just an extra utility spell that goes well with the Rinnegan)

Building this kind of Nagato is as you can see a handful. You wont be the insane damage dealer of the party or the healing bot. Your role would be more of utility and a jack of all trades. There will hardly be a situation where you do not have an answer for something that the DM throws at your party. This build is best used for campaigns where you have a lot of roleplaying and where combat isnt the main focus. And if it is a combat heavy campaign I would suggest getting the wizard levels up early to get the Fireball and Lightning bolt faster.

Let me know what you think and if you would do something completely different, I am currious of other peoples input.

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

I don't think they have stats for a trashcan.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadowdove View Post
    They can
    Ahem construct 1/8cr
    Hp 1
    Ac 1
    Skills holding trash
    Becoming trash
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadowdove View Post
    can you clarify?

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Throne12 View Post
    Here is a easy one Neji is just a Straight monk way of the open fist. You have the stunning strike as hitting Chakra points.
    I feel like the byakugan as the ultimate all-seeing eyes deserve to get at least two levels of warlock for the devil's sight and eldritch sight invocations.

Other than that, Orochimaru is a moon druid 6/necromancer wizard 8/eldritch knight fighter 6.
    Can turn into snakes, can conjure giant constrictor snakes, can summon his favorite sword out of thin air (or: out of his throat), can actually fight with it, raises zombies, has issues because other magic chakra users are better at it because they singleclassed have inherited it.

Last edited by Quoxis; 2017-11-06 at 11:28 AM.
    "Can i touch myself before talking to that guy?"
    "..."
    "I mean can i cast a touch spell on myself..."
    "It's both possible, but one would probably lead to a bad outcome."

17. - Top - End - #17

I'm a fan of Nagato, thanks for following through!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quoxis View Post
    I feel like the byakugan as the ultimate all-seeing eyes deserve to get at least two levels of warlock for the devil's sight and eldritch sight invocations.

Other than that, Orochimaru is a moon druid 6/necromancer wizard 8/eldritch knight fighter 6.
    Can turn into snakes, can conjure giant constrictor snakes, can summon his favorite sword out of thin air (or: out of his throat), can actually fight with it, raises zombies, has issues because other magic chakra users are better at it because they singleclassed have inherited it.
    Ooh awesome, I havent thought about Orochimaru yet. This looks like an awesome way to portray him.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Greenseen View Post
    Ooh awesome, I havent thought about Orochimaru yet. This looks like an awesome way to portray him.
    Would love to see that! Would probably go with the Sage background, for that researcher ability (cause he's always doing research and experiments)

20. - Top - End - #20

Would love to see that! Would probably go with the Sage background, for that researcher ability (cause he's always doing research and experiments)
    That ability is mostly "you know where to look for information", which is appropriate, but i feel like the hermit background fits better - he spends most of the story hiding from konoha-officials and akatsuki members, and his "discovery" could be his signature spell: a scroll of "magic jar" that he can learn at the right level (as it's a wizard-only level 6 spell to which he'd normally not have access) - his weird perception of eternal life.

While we're at it:

Tsunade is a life cleric 8/open hand monk 11/rogue 1.
    Can heal others and herself in different ways, does massive unarmed damage (up to 5d8 per round), can conjure guardians snails of faith, and has expertise in medicine and either persuasion or deception (only thing she never gets is the lucky feat).
    Another build for her would include paladin for the lay-on-hands and smites, but imo a smite is a nova attack you burn through quickly, while her form of Tai-Jutsu is more consistent.
    Spoiler
    Show

And to complete the sannin:

Jiraiya is a fey chain warlock 3/fighter 2/draconic sorcerer 13/bard 2.
    Jack of all trades reflecting his breadth of knowledge and skills, but he isn't an expert in anything (except maybe fighting), so no expertise. His toad familiar can provide help (actions) in combat, the sorcerer spell list is broad enough for all kinds of elemental jutsus (the fiery ones even get stronger), the one i remember best is the one where he forms a spiky shield out of his hair - armor of agathys, upcast as a lvl 8 spell. Fighter grants him action surge (as he can do insane feats of agility in sage mode) and a mild self-heal...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Quoxis; 2017-11-06 at 02:08 PM.
    "..."

21. - Top - End - #21

Danzo is in my eyes (ha, get it?) a long death monk 11/trickery cleric 9.
    Utilizing both his long death feature (spend a ki point to drop to 1 instead of 0 hp), his channel divinity and spells like mirror image, blink etc. makes him nigh-unkillable in combat, a fitting equivalent to the powers of Izanagi.
    Additionally, he's got some nice control spells (command, dominate person, hold person, calm emotions etc. etc.) for political intrigue as well as combat superiority, conjuring a guardian of faith weird elephant monster is also within the capabilities of a cleric, and monk makes him a skilled melee combattant and weirdly fast runner for his age.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sasuke is difficult, as he's got so many different fighting styles, ranging from illusions to physical combat, but i'd build him as a abjurer wizard 10/vengeance paladin 9/fighter 1.
    Abjurer's ward combined with mage armor and shield spells are his form of susanoo, the wizard spells offer a wide enough variety to choose from for about everything he does, vengeance pally gives access to elemental weapon (one of the few things he consistently uses is his sword which he charges with lightning), some (self-)healing, a fighting style and different auras (he only uses them on himself, that selfish bastard), and fighter gives another fighting style and minor self healing.
    As far as fighting styles go, i'd give him "duelling" for his sword and "archery" for his darts/thrown daggers shuriken.
    Spoiler
    Show

Now to an actually interesting character: Jugo.
    For him i thought of moon druid 10/berserker barbarian 4/nature cleric 6. He enters a rage, transforms into an earth elemental, and can deal up to a nearly insane 6d8+21 damage per round (3 attacks, each 2d8+5+2), plus while he's in elemental form he's immune to his frenzy rage's exhaustion - only fitting for the origin of the cursed seal transformation. But wait, there's more: as Jugo is pretty much invincible when it comes to not only physical attacks, but also elemental jutsus, he's got both rage resistances and the "dampen elements" feature to boot (reaction to get resistence to one type of element on an attack). A neat side effect is that he's got animal friendship and speak with animals always prepared, which fits his out of combat persona. He's not much of a jutsu user afaik, but if he runs out of rages, he still got some mean magic to rely on, like conjuration of animals/fey creatures and so on.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Quoxis; 2017-11-06 at 11:39 AM.
    "..."

22. - Top - End - #22

Quoxis, these are all really cool ideas, I'll see if I can flesh em out (I use the DnD Beyond Character generator). I love it!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quoxis, these are all really cool ideas, I'll see if I can flesh em out (I use the DnD Beyond Character generator). I love it!
    Thanks for the compliment. I'm out of characters i care/know about, except maybe that water guy from Sasuke's group, but he's definitely a sea sorcerer and i refuse to use unofficial material, so he'sout of the picture. If anyone knows of another interesting character i'll be glad to throw my two cents in.

Edit: How about the titular character, freaking Naruto?
    Now there are quite a few iconic features about him, including him having vast amounts of spell slots chakra, luck (especially when needed most), his three main jutsus (rasengan, kagebunshin and... the one i'm not comfortable talking about, this is SFW, after all), his typical-never-give-up-and-inspire-others-to-greatness main character attitude... let's see.
    Wild magic sorcerer 14/Bard 2/fighter 2/trickery cleric 2, and the lucky feat.
    Naruto is (originally, before shippuuden happened) uncontrollable and not even in control of his magic jutsu powers. He isn't particularly skilled at anything (no expertise for you), but just "meh, ok" enough to not suck at anything (except maybe int skills), so a bard's "jack of all trades" is appropriate - we're taking bard for something different though: inspiration, because from the first books on, that was his superpower even without the fox demon. His ability to heal faster and inspire others to keep fighting even if hurt is covered by "song of rest". His deus ex machina powers (farting in the face of the opponent at the exact right time) are shown by wild magic sorcery, especially with the "tides of chaos" and "bend luck" features (instant advantage, 1d4 bonus or malus to anything another creature does), and him constantly being accidentally overpowered because of his inner demon? That's "controlled chaos", showing in bursts of cool jutsus way too strong for his level.
    While i'm at it: kagebunshin no jutsu is the channel divinity of trickery clerics, as well as the sorcerer's "mirror image"; rasengan is more difficult, maybe a "shatter" spell or something alike*; sexy no jutsu (there, i said it) is simply "disguise/alter self".
    Fighter is mainly there for the archery fighting style (can't give Sasuke an advantage over him on the kunai throwing!) and action surge (up to three "jutsus" in one round!).

*rasengan could be portrayed with eldritch blast, which scales well in form of multiple blasts (= his bunshins cast it?), though it would either require the "magic initiate" feat or a two-level dip into warlock, at the cost of either fighter or sorcerer (two levels obviously for the "agonizing" and "repelling blast" invocations).
    Last edited by Quoxis; 2017-11-07 at 11:04 AM.
    "..."

24. - Top - End - #24

Thanks for the compliment. I'm out of characters i care/know about, except maybe that water guy from Sasuke's group, but he's definitely a sea sorcerer and i refuse to use unofficial material, so he'sout of the picture. If anyone knows of another character i'll be glad to throw my two cents in.
    How about Zabuza ang Gaara

25. - Top - End - #25

How about Zabuza ang Gaara
    Zabuza? Eldritch knight 20 or combat master 17/illusion, enchantment or divination wizard 3 (for "hold person" and "fog cloud", the only real jutsus he's been seen doing), great weapon master, lame.

Gaara is probably just a high level abjurer wizard, his main shtick are cage spells (hold person, force cage and the likes) and guarding himself with sand, therefore abjuration. Of course he's not limited to that, he's been shown to use arcane eye and multiple earth-related spells (elemental evil is your friend!).

As an extra: Kakashi is an arcane trickster 17/enchanter wizard 3, able to steal jutsus up to spell level 4 while using the slight hypnosis of the sharingan (enchanter feature and spells like hypnotic pattern, phantasmal force/killer, suggestion, confusion...), teleporting around (dimension door, to name the strongest exmple) thanks to the mangekyo sharingan's kamui, conjuring mordekainen's faithful hound ninken, doing all kinds of wizard stuff really while still being a strong combattant with his kunai, which he can sneak attack with if his raikiri (shocking grasp) isn't charged. One attack per round, but at least it's going to be 1d4+9d6.

Guy on the other hand is an open hand monk 3/berserker barbarian 15/fighter 2, using str as his main combat ability. No matter how hard the beating he takes, he's giving it back with multiple attacks per round (up to 5, once, using both flurry of blows and action surge, each dealing up to 1d4+8 damage for a total of 5d4+40), pushing opponents back or knocking them prone with his mighty blows, getting even stronger with an opened gate frenzy rage for more attacks, at the cost of exhaustion - this is just too perfect of a fit. Even tsunade should look out for this guy's physical strength. Fighter, as always, nets him a fighting style (archery for those shurikens) and action surge, if he really, positively, needs to beat a foe to death. He could also be a sun soul monk instead of open hand; that way, he'd be able to do ranged attacks, though these key off his dex stat (which will only be high if you manage to get the right scores through rolling, magic items or the DM allowing demigods as characters). The counter-intuitive thing: Guy can wear medium armor (and even a shield, though that's not really true to the character) if he gets himself the tavern brawler feat, as he doesn't utilize any of the "martial arts" stuff except the 1d4 unarmed strike, which the feat would replace (or he could just live with the fact that the main damage comes from his rage,changing 1d4 for 1).

I want interesting stuff you're only able to portray with multiclasses, dammit!
    Last edited by Quoxis; 2017-11-07 at 03:20 PM.
    "..."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Love all the character ideas!!! Will definitely try them out if one of my current characters dies. Also it inspired me to build a guide for a Rock Lee character that I had in my mind for a while now.

This Rock Lee build is post Ninja war and assuming Guy taught him how to use Morning Peacock and Daytime Tiger. Rock Lee has been seen using it in the spring time of youth versions but that isnt really canon I think. Rock Lee has amazing speed and physical strength, and together with the 8 gates he gets a huge power boost and new techniques to use. He has no talent for ninjutsu or genjutsu so rollplay all of the powers as nonmagical and pure physical feats. We will also be giving Lee weapons that he has been using in some of the filler episodes, such as the nunchucks and quarterstaff.

A full build of Rock Lee would look like this: lvl 5 Berserker Barbarian, lvl 13 Way of the Four Elements Monk, lvl 2 Rogue. Entering Rage is like opening the first Gate, and Reckless Attack and Frenzy will be the higher gates. Why way of the four Elements and not Open Hand? Way of the Four Elements fits better since you can get Fangs of the Fire Snake and Fist of Unbroken Air, they will be the Morning Peacock and Daytime Tiger attacks. The Rogue dip gives some extra freedom, mostly saving Ki points that wont be used on bonus actions like dodge and dash.

Now I will give a level up path to follow and explain where everything fits with the abilities of Rock Lee. Eventhough Monk and Barbarian are not the best to multiclass together this build will give you a lot of fun options.

Abilities we go for point buy, and here we already see the dificulty of this combo.

Str 15 (in spite of Rock Lee being very fast and dexterous, most of his strength comes from the intense training sessions. Also he can easily lift others into the air.)
    Dex 13 (used for AC and to multiclass into Monk)
    Con 14 (the second main stat after Str)
    Int 8 (he is called a genius by Kakashi for being able to open 5 of the 8 inner gates, but we all know he isnt an intelligent genius)
    Wis 13 (for the Monk multiclass)
    Cha 9 (since you will have one stray point left)

The Race to go with will be Human Variant to make your Str 16 and Dex 14. For the skill go with Acrobatics because he can do some crazy flips and stuff. The Feat to choose is Grappler, and the reason for that is to do the Front Lotus attack when you have atleast opened the first Gate(raged). Imagine throwing someone up high and as movement do a jump and use grapple to piledrive them back to the ground. It depends if the DM sees the initial throw as an action or bonus action. No matter what the actual action economy will be to do this its still an awesome move and most DM's allowed it.

Next go with the Folk Hero background for Survival and Animal Handeling. Survival because Rock Lee spends a lot of time training in the forest. Animal Handeling for that time he saved the squirrel from the paper bomb. And isnt he just the real hero anyway?

The first lvl class to start with will be Barbarian. Start getting the Hitpoints high early and fits the grow of this class better. Pick Athletics and Perception for the two skills, Athletics same reason like Acrobatics only for the Strength side of it. The saving throws in Str and Con fit how Lee has endured so much physical training that his body has gotten used to it.

For starting equipment use the options given by the class. Any martial melee weapon will be a flail(as the nunchuck), any simple weapon the quarter staff.

So we are a Barbarian with 14 hitpoints, 14 AC and are ready to Rage and open the first to Inner Gates. The fact that you have so few rages and need to take a long rest to get them back fits the side effects of using the 8 Inner Gates at this point.

Reaching lvl 2 you multiclass your first lvl into Monk. So at this point you are lvl 1 Barbarian, lvl 1 Monk.
    The Unarmed Defence of the monk will be ignored but the Martial Arts is needed early for Rock Lee's Strong Fist style.

Reaching lvl 3 you gain a second lvl in Barbarian. So at this point you are lvl 2 Barbarian, lvl 1 Monk.
    Reckless Attack is the third Inner Gate opened and using the Reversed Lotus. You will hit them hard but the strain on your body makes you vulnerable.

Reaching lvl 4 you gain a second lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 2 Barbarian, lvl 2 Monk.
    Open the 4th Inner gate, become even more powerful, and gain speed. You could roleplay that as Unarmored Movement and the other things you gain with Ki. Having another point source that is limited fits the side effects of opening the Gates. Step of the Wind Could be the 4th gate opening.

Reaching lvl 5 gain another lvl in Barbarian. So at this point you are lvl 3 Barbarian, lvl 2 Monk.
    Path of the Berserker! Frenzy is the best way to roleplay opening the Inner Gates since it causes a level of exhaustion. Now you might be thinking why do I want to have a weapon bonus attack when I can use the Monk bonus attack with my fists? Well your weapon at the moment does more damage then your firsts do, also having many different ways of attacking is always a good thing. You might gain magical weapons that you can use with this.

Reaching lvl 6 gain another lvl in Barbarian. So at this point you are lvl 4 Barbarian, lvl 2 Monk.
    The ability score improvement goes into Strength +2 making it 18. Doing more damage and gaining more physical prowess.

Reaching lvl 7 gain another lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 4 Barbarian, lvl 3 Monk.
    Deflect Missiles is a nice bonus, but the main thing will be Way of the Four Elements. The Elemental Attunement is not something that you will be using but the first option to get is Fangs of the Fire Snake. Roleplay it as a physical feat where you punch so fast and hard that the air around your fists ignite and a fan of fire shoots out from you. Also always use the extra ki point to do an extra D10 fire damage. You also gain 10 feet range on your unarmed strikes which fits the discription of the Morning Peacock. Ooh yeah this is the sixth Gate attack that you can do. It wont be as overpowered as the real thing but is the closest thing to it.

Reaching lvl 8 gain another lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 4 Barbarian, lvl 4 Monk.
    Slow fall fits every Shinobi. The ability score improvement will be a Feat, Mobile to be exact. You gain +10 extra movement speed and you dont provoke attacks of oppertunity when you attacked them before moving out of their reach. Now everyone remember Lee's fight with Gaara? that is how I see it, you just run around with intense speed attacking and they cant even react to it. Given that Lee also removed his ankle weights, but at the end of the guide Ill explain a way you can roleplay that as bonus.
    You will have 50 base speed at this point.

Reaching lvl 9 multiclass the 1st lvl in Rogue. So at this point you are lvl 4 Barbarian, lvl 4 Monk, lvl 1 Rogue
    For the extra skill pick Stealth. For Expertese go with Acrobatics and Athletics, I mean come on did you really think Lee has expertese in any other skill then those two? The sneak attack is really nice to do some extra damage, and since you can Reckless Attack you will always have a way to get it.

Reaching lvl 10 gain another lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 4 Barbarian, lvl 5 Monk, lvl 1 Rogue.
    Extra Attack!! and Stunning Strike. The DC for your ki attacks is only 13 at the moment but will get better later on.

Reaching lvl 11 gain another lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 4 Barbarian, lvl 6 Monk, lvl 1 Rogue.
    Your Unarmed strikes are infused with your Chakra which fits the Strong Fist style, thus counting as magical. You gain another extra 5 feet of movement, more speed!! For your second Elemental Discipline take Fist of Unbroken Air, this is the Daytime Tiger!!! congratulations Rock Lee you can open the 7th gate, Gate of Wonder. Remember put all the Ki that is allowed into this attack.

Reaching lvl 12 gain another lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 4 Barbarian, lvl 7 Monk, lvl 1 Rogue.
    Evasion, because you are just to fast to be hit by such attacks. This together with Danger Sense that grants you advantage on Dex saving throws is great. Stillness of Mind, Rock Lee learned how to dispel genjutsu(charmed) and he isnt frightened easily anyway.

Reaching lvl 13 gain another lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 4 Barbarian, lvl 8 Monk, lvl 1 Rogue.
    This is a boring level as you just improve your Wis with +2 making it 15. Now your DC for Ki attacks is 14.

Reaching lvl 14 gain another lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 4 Barbarian, lvl 9 Monk, lvl 1 Rogue.
    You gain improved Unarmored Movement. Basically being able to infuse your feet chakra and walk on water and along vertical surfaces.

Reaching lvl 15 gain another lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 4 Barbarian, lvl 10 Monk, lvl 1 Rogue.
    Purity of Body is gained but doesnt really add much. The moment you reached lvl 11 the main build for Rock Lee has come together.

Reaching lvl 16 gain another lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 4 Barbarian, lvl 11 Monk, lvl 1 Rogue.
    The third Elemental Discipline to choose is, Ride the Wind. Now why would you want to be able to cast fly on yourself?
    Well with the Gates that Rock Lee can open his speed and strength makes him move almost freely, he can jump high and such. Remember that you still have the Grappler feat. When you have fly on yourself, grapple someone and lift them up as high as you can with your action and bonus action to dash. Next round let them go and fly into them to attack with all your strength and lifting the fly effect so you drop down on top of them crushing them between the ground and your fist and foot. The thing to keep in mind with this is it cannot be used in combination while raging. But you could enter a rage once you make the drop.

Reaching lvl 17 gain another lvl in Monk. So at this point you are lvl 4 Barbarian, lvl 12 Monk, lvl 1 Rogue.
    Now for the ability score improvement I would recommend picking the Observant feat and adding +1 to wisdom, making it 16. This gives you more things to do outside of combat and the passive perception boost fits Rock Lee and his awareness of his surroundings.

Reaching lvl 18 you gain a second lvl in Rogue. So at this point you are lvl 4 Barbarian, lvl 12 Monk, lvl 2 Rogue.
    Cunning action is what we want at this point. Saving those ki points for other things and just being able to use your bonus actions for more maneuverability when needed is great.

Reaching lvl 19 gain the last lvl of Barbarian. So at this point you are lvl 5 Barbarian, lvl 12 Monk, lvl 2 Rogue.
    The extra attack of the Barbarian is a shame that its a waste but the +10 extra movement is sweet! your movement speed is now 70!

Reaching lvl 20 gain the last lvl of Monk. So at this point you are lvl 5 Barbarian, lvl 13 Monk, lvl 2 Rogue.
    Tongue of the Sun and Moon is a fun roleplay ability. Now you will have 13 Ki points in total to use for all your attacks and 8 Inner Gate shenanigans.

Bonus:
    Remember how Lee increased his speed when he removed those ankle weights? Well, use a shield in combination with the flail or other weapon that you will and up using to increase your AC to 16 as a Barbarian. Your Speed will be just 50 at max lvl because of how the unarmored defence and unarmored movement works of the monk. Drop the shield(ankle weights) and your AC will be 15(starting from lvl 17) using the Monk way of calculating AC, and you gain the +20 speed boost.

I hope this guide is helpful for the people who like Rock Lee. You have a lot of ways to fight with the Grappler feat, monk unarmed attacks, and barbarian attacks with weapons. If you have any feedback please do respond!
    Last edited by Greenseen; 2017-11-08 at 01:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

seriously Greenseen why havent you done an Uzumaki Naurto?!?! this thread is amazing, but the title character by level is amazing. id love to see Naruto done

28. - Top - End - #28
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: Counter-thread!
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)