New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default [E8, D&D 3.5] Crestfallin'

You've been in Crestfallin' for a short spell, you've slowly but surely began getting used to the modern comforts and easy living of the largest city-state in the multiverse's "luxury" lifestyle. You know the type, street lights controlled by Continual Flame spells, crime to a near-zero amount with officers of the court being armed with Zone of Truth spells. Everyone lived in relative peace and serenity, and anything one could want or a skill they wanted to learn, or even just information they wanted to educate themselves on, could be had - with the right contacts, and for the right coin, of course. Indeed, Crestfallin' was a huge, sprawling planar metropolis sized city, ran be a republic of elected officials voted into office by the people. A true democratic nation. All was right with the world...

That is, until the street lights failed to illuminate one night! The high level adventurer's weapons rendered no better than simple masterworks, those modern-day conveniences you've grown accustomed to, stripped more bare than a sports car left in a bad neighbourhood. What happened? Indeed, the newsletter put out by the Congress, and signed by the humbly benevolent President Murphy himself;

Quote Originally Posted by Crestfallin' Hook
    Fellow adventurers we humbly request your assistance;

An entity of some sort - most likely the evilest among evil however that cannot be confirmed as of this message - has set out to steal all of the magical energies that otherwise would freely flow into our great city-state! Some speculators would suggest it's as if all that energy is being pulled into a focused area for some sort of infernal ritual, but again as of now, that is anyone's guess. Magic prowess, as you may very well know by now, is a lynchpin of not just this community, but of the entirety of the continent and then some! Who knows what could happen to this nation, or whom could even stake their own claim to this land in the midst of such a stark reality we suddenly find ourselves within!

Thus, we appeal to everyone whom could wield a blade, complete complex equations from memory, or delve into dangerous situations while armed with only their wits, if you would help the city-state return to it's prior status as a superpower, you will be greatly rewarded for your time and effort, hailed even as a hero of the entirety of the multiverse for your selfless deeds.

Sincerely,
    President Murphy
    Would-be adventurers would sign up for excursion, many of which having never seen combat a day in their lives, many still even may have never ever experienced hard labour what with the comfort of Crestfallin' having "protected" them for the harsher realities of many more less fortunate municipalities. Alas, a team of five seemingly more sturdy than "regular" townsfolk residents were assembled; the Goblin Arth, the Human Accalon, the Human Olwyn, the Human Gorros, and the Grey Elf Karin. Quite the motley crue, indeed, eh?

Wanting to ensure the town could believe in the abilities of the five, president Murphy's trusted advisor (in US government terms, you could consider him "Speaker of the House" esque) stepped forward. The man himself appeared very old, and very studied. His long white hair matched his long white beard, and he wore blue robes that looked like they flowed off his body, and to top it off, the "classic" wizardry hat to match his robes. The man walked with a hunch, his appearance seeming all too frail - a likely side effect negatively compensating the apparent years of study the man most likely has endured.

"Brave warriors, my name is Thomas Brooklynn, advisor to our President. On behalf of Crestfallin' I humbly thank you for accepting the call to arms, know that for your selfless service to our beloved city, you may live on forever as heroes for your deeds. This world is dangerous, however, and before you go, we must urge you first allow your abilities to be on display to, erhm...ease our own minds that you are not recklessly putting your lives in peril for our own sake. Located to the north, roughly twelve clicks or so, is an Orcish campsite. Raiders, pirates, brigands - mostly criminal folk. Please, go there, and dispatch their raiding parties - and bring back proof of their disposal! Once you've done so, then we will fill you in on the details we've gathered at present, of our beloved city-state's current plight."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: [E8, D&D 3.5] Crestfallin'

Indeed, I thank the good people of this city for the chance to prove our valour. Our skill in arms will surely undo this threat and soon after, we’ll put a stop to all those that challenge his great city. May the city stand eternal, as a true city of enchantment!

Once he and the rest of the group are out of earshot for the rest of the crowd he leans over and whispers.

“So, do any of you know where I could find a big crossbow? I rather need one at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

3. - Top - End - #3

Olwyn Erwood

Olwyn listens carefully as the President's advisor explains the details of the test. When the old man finishes speaking, she nods along in agreement to the tall, dark-haired Accalon. She adds, addressing the advisor:

"Likewise, I thank you for this opportunity. I too am sure we can pass this test, but more details would be of great use to us. Are the raider's numbers known? Are there any individual orcs we should be particularly wary of? And finally, what is the lay of the land about their campsite? I regret that I hail from far afield, and have not yet had a chance to acquaint myself with the local geography."

Olwyn turns to her new companions, looking just slightly sheepish. "Are any of you local? I'm sure someone must have better knowledge of the lands just outside Crestfallin' than me."
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-12-13 at 12:33 AM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

"Twelve klicks, eh?" Karin folds her arms over her very-much-not-pronounced elven chest, looking at the speaker with a mixture of pity for the frail old human Thomas and great respect for the esteemed Secretary Brooklynn. Her voice rings out with a slight edge at the end of her sentences, the way people from Southie talk sometimes, though for the most part her pronunciation remains that of the neutral and graceful elves.

"Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, even with all things considered. Do you need the orcs back for a trial or can we pass judgment on the spot?"
    Last edited by Foryn Gilnith; 2019-12-13 at 02:26 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

GreataxeFighterGuy

"Oh, yes yes, of course, sincere apologies for not providing more information. Trying times as these are." He clears his throat. "Numbers? Oh, no no, it's just a known hideout of sorts for those types of miscreants. Y'see, it's one of those things; just a bit out of reach of Crestfallin' patrols, but not so much so as to be an inconvenience. The actual affiliation, if you will, is loose at best, one brigand may or may not be willing to work with another thief. Right? I would not expect a high level of organization. In fact, you may be lucky to encounter one group of criminal engaged in battle with another. How fortunate that would be, yes."

Nervously he tugged at his collar, "Oh, almost forgot. I've no idea if...that one...would even be around, but he's of Thomas points his finger at Arth's direction, one of those creatures backgrounds. No one knows him by name, only what he is called in the stories of his misdeeds. Twoblades. A truly ferocious, yet cunning goblinoid. Always has a pair of ever-sharp blades at his ready. No one has ever survived an encounter with him...if you were to bring back his head, why the bounty you'd receive would be an incredible one. And the look of relief that would take over this city's populace. But, I urge you, do be careful. Please."

He starts to turn to attend to his duties, lingering though, in case anyone had any last questions.
    Last edited by 3drinks; 2019-12-13 at 11:22 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Arth looks a little nonplussed at how she's referred to. She sighs, though, and accepts it-people just don't trust her kind, even though she's been nothing but kind to them.

We'll be sure to do what we can, she says. For the good of everyone.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Olwyn takes a mental note of the goblinoid, Twoblades. Bring back his head... well, if they want to be sure of the deed, that's the way, she thinks to herself.

She turns to the elf, Karin. With a shrug, she says: "Bring back his head. I guess that's our answer."

With little expectation of any more information from the advisor, Olwyn sets her pack and shield over her shoulder. She waits patiently a little longer, then follows Accalon out. She gives him a quizzical look, curious as to why he's whispering.

"I've not had any need to procure weaponry in the city, but there must be somewhere near where we can get what you're after. Let's see, if we're here now..."

Olwyn glances up and down the street, hoping to catch sight of a likely establishment.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

If it's alright, I'll roll a Knowledge: Local check to see if Olwyn might have passed by a shop that sells crossbows.

K.Local - (1d20+2)[11]
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-12-14 at 01:17 AM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler: Olwyn
    Show
    Knowledge is typically a trained only skill, did you mean Gather Information? I suppose these are mostly the same thing though, given the nature of the check ha.

Based on your result, there are several merchants among the Mercantile district, of note you hear of a Dwarf run shop called by the locals the Hammer and Tongs. Not known for his negotiation skills, instead his quality is heavily touted. "You get what you pay for", so to speak.
    Last edited by 3drinks; 2019-12-14 at 03:16 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

”Stealth is the coward’s tool. A knife in the back is the evildoer’s.” Said Gorros. “I would have it no other way.”
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

10. - Top - End - #10

Spoiler: OOC, Knowledge Roll
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by 3drinks View Post
    Knowledge is typically a trained only skill, did you mean Gather Information? I suppose these are mostly the same thing though, given the nature of the check ha.
    It's a cross-class skill for Rangers, but I did buy one rank of Knowledge: Local at double-cost. Not that I rolled well enough for it to really matter anyway .

"Oh! I did pass by a place, now I remember, in the Mercantile District. I was looking for good quality parchment to get a replacement for my old notebook, but the cost was a little more than I could afford at the time. The Hammer and, uh, Tongs, yes, that was it. Dwarf run, I think. Its probably pricy, but likely to have what you're looking for."

Olwyn turns to check on her animals, giving her dog and donkey each a pat. She runs a hand over the pack saddle straps to ensure they're secure.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-12-14 at 11:08 AM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Excellent let’s go there quickly, then we can head off to defeat these bandits and move on to restoring the magic.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    ”Stealth is the coward’s tool. A knife in the back is the evildoer’s.” Said Gorros. “I would have it no other way.”
    And needless bravado is the fool's end, Arth says in response. But yes, let's be off.

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Karin smiles softly at Olwyn's response to her question, a smile that fades slightly as the group gets to bickering amongst itself. After patting down her backpack to make sure everything is still stable and in place, she leaves the office with the others and follows along in the back. It would be somewhat less than advisable to put their first face forward as that of an elf, after all, given who runs the Hammer and Tongs...

14. - Top - End - #14

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    And needless bravado is the fool's end, Arth says in response. But yes, let's be off.
    Gorros scowled. “Without a cause to die for, there is no point in living. But yes, let’s be off.”
    Show

As

Show

Equinox League

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

15. - Top - End - #15

Not to mince words, but just because you have a cause worth dying for doesn't mean you should be SEEKING to die for it, Arth says. Diplomacy. Subtlety. And yes, stealth and sneaking around. They're valuable tools-and just that. Tools. There's nothing wrong with using a tool for good reasons.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Speaking of Tools, I am missing literally all of mine. Can we please skip the philosophy and focus on getting magic back?

17. - Top - End - #17

As soon as Gorros admits I'm right, Arth says with a bit of a chuckle. More importantly, Gorros, while we might not see eye-to-eye on this, can you at least promise me-well, all of us, really-that you won't do anything foolhardy that gets us all killed?

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18

GreataxeFighterGuy

If you've set a course to arrive at the camp, it's but a couple of hours away. The trek itself not too arduous, and we'll get into this in more depth once you've all decided this is where you're going next.

If you're going to the Hammer and Tongs, (shameless Oblivion callback), once there is a few key points you'll notice on the inside;

The building is constructed of not just the sturdiest of stone, but each block fits into the other like a priceless painting in the centre of an art exhibit. You can easily tell this building was constructed by a team of professionals, neigh Dwarven professionals, based on the superb craftsmanship and high attention to detail. On the inside, mounted on the wall behind the counter, you'd instantly recognize a very pristine opal greataxe. The hilt itself looks as though it were crafted out of gold, or brass or, some other similar shiny metal (you'd need an Appraise [DC 30] or Craft {Metalworking} [DC 25] check up close to determine the metal - with two full minutes of examination on either check), but what you can determine is the three shiny, purest uncut rubies in the hilt of the axe.It doesn't take a Wizard to know this appears to be a very, very expensive - and powerful - axe.

"Greetings, g'mornin, what can ol Undrik Steelshaper do for you? A crossbow? Don't get too many inquiries for one of those, but yes, I do appear to have one I've been holding on to. Been waiting for just the right home to send this sweet girl to."

The crossbow itself has a painted wood finish and a rifleman's hair trigger to it. Unlike traditional crossbows, this one is strung with horsehair to give it a durable, allegedly unbreakable and much more elasticized shot. This by all initial impressions is a heavy crossbow, although a Knowledge {Engineering} check could reveal more details about the bow.

"I could part with it to the right person for...let's call it seventy-five gold pieces." He speaks firmly and with confidence in the offered price. It'd appear as though you are paying a bit of a premium for the cosmetics of the weapon, but again without the check, it's pretty hard to pick up on what one bow would have different mechanically from another.

19. - Top - End - #19

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    As soon as Gorros admits I'm right, Arth says with a bit of a chuckle. More importantly, Gorros, while we might not see eye-to-eye on this, can you at least promise me-well, all of us, really-that you won't do anything foolhardy that gets us all killed?
    ”Hmph. As long as you don’t do anything that gets us arrested,” Gorros said.
    Last edited by Vrock Bait; 2019-12-15 at 09:01 AM.
    Show

As

Show

Equinox League

寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

20. - Top - End - #20

Arth sighs, but nods.

Could you possibly part with a dagger for one such as myself? she asks. I don't need anything too fancy-just practical.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21

GreataxeFighterGuy

"Ehhhh?" Steelshaper grunts as he peers over the counter at the goblin. "Oh, one of yous. Hmm...I just might have something you want." He turns around and carefully picks up a blade, first examining it under his goggles. Then he turns around to present it. The blade itself glistens under the lighting, and to a feint inspection (a DC 11 spot check) one could detect a hint of a curve to the blade.

"How does...6 gold coins sound for this fine dwarven craftsmanship?"

22. - Top - End - #22

Spoiler: Spot
    Show
    (1d20+1)[20]

Erm... Feels a little pricey-not to deny your excellent craftsmanship, but... It's still just a dagger.

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Olwyn raises an eyebrow at the bickering between Arth and Gorros. Not too concerned about its severity, however, she decides not to involve herself. Maybe they'll get past it once we deal with the raiders, she thinks to herself. She notices Karin's fading smile and gives the elf a shrug, as if to say: I don't know what to make of it either.

Olwyn heads with the others to the Hammer and Tongs. She hitches her donkey outside, and commands her dog, Pongo, to "Stay!" beside. She admires the building , and inside, glances over the fine weaponry on display. She ogles the prominently displayed greataxe and wonders at its construction. When she overhears the asking price of the crossbow, she turns to Accalon.

"Oh, I've got a little spare gold, if you need it. I'd rather we all set out fully prepared. Let's see... afraid it's only about 5 gold pieces, though."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

I am truly sorry, and your craft is truly excellent. Even one as unfamiliar with weapons as I can see that, still I can’t in good spirit afford this price. Really forty gold is probably the most I can do.

25. - Top - End - #25

GreataxeFighterGuy

Steelshaper nods, "very well, perhaps at a later date once you're more traveled, we can be afforded the opportunity to do business once more." He replies as he begins to put the beautiful crossbow away. And the dagger, I suppose.

26. - Top - End - #26

Olwyn takes a last, longing look over the beautiful axe and then heads outside.

She greets her tall terrier with a pat and double-checks the donkey's pack saddle once more, just to be sure. She makes a mental list of her weapons, checking that they are all secure and in place. Satisfied, she then settles in and patiently takes in the sights and sounds of the city as she waits for her companions to be ready to depart.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Arth sighs, and forks over the asked price. I need a weapon, so I'll pay.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #28

GreataxeFighterGuy

"Splendid, I believe you'll be quite happy with your purchase. Don't forget to tell your friends about the Hammer and Tongs!"

Spoiler: Arth
    Show
    For the 6gp, you have a standard dagger that weighs one extra pound, but also has one more to it's threat range (threats on a nat 18) due to it's un-natural curviture. Additionally, you can double it's distance when thrown.

29. - Top - End - #29

Thank you, Arth replies.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Is there anything else you'd like to do before embarking on this?