New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Hindsight Awards: best movies of 1999. Round 1: nomination

I'm going to start a little experiment here. It's a well known fact that not all things that are a hit become a classic, nor the other way around. So as 2019 is fading before our eyes, I'm going to organize an award show in the playground for movies released in 1999. The contest will be decided in 3 rounds with this thread hosting the first, which work like this:

Round 1: Nomination. (You are here)
    In round 1 anyone can name movies that were originally released for the first time in 1999. Any and every movie that is named will make it into round 2.

Round 2: Rating.
    In round 2 the full list of movies suggested in round 1 will be posted. Everyone can rate any and all movies they want to rate on a scale from 0 to 5. Which movies move on to the next round is determined not by their total score, but by their average rating. A movie that only a few people have an opinion about has just as much of a chance to make it as one that everyone scored. The only exception is that a movie must have been rated by at least 2 people to be eligible. If you were the only person here who remembers it, it was probably not the best movie of 1999.

Round 3: Voting.
    The 6 highest rated movies from round 2 (why 6? Because it's a good number) will move on to the voting round. This will be run using some sort of preferential/ranked vorig system, possibly Borda count or single transferable vote. This will be determined before voting starts. Anyone can vote by listing all 6 movies on the shortlist from best to worst. The winner will be crowned the best movie of 1999.

The nomination round will run until Friday January 3 2020. Ones every time zone on the planet has rolled over to Saturday the nominations will be closed.

I will start with a basic list of the ten highest grossing movies (worldwide) of the year, any movie that won any Academy Award (non-documentary, non-short film), some other noteworthy films and a few personal favorites, just to remove any suspicion of impartiality. This list (listed alphabetically, not counting A, An or The) is posted below. Curious to know which of your favorite movies came out in 1999? Wikipedia has you covered!

All About My Mother
    American Beauty
    Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
    Boys Don't Cry
    The Cider House Rules
    Entrapment
    Fight Club
    Galaxy Quest
    The Green Mile
    Girl, Interrupted
    The Iron Giant
    The Matrix
    The Mummy
    Notting Hill
    The Red Violin
    Sleepy Hollow
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
    Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace
    The Sixth Sense
    Tarzan
    The Thirteenth Floor
    Three Kings
    Topsy-Turvy
    Toy Story 2
    The World Is Not Enough

(I will quite possibly be back to post more personal favorites, but I'm waiting for a bit to not make my opening post too opinionated.)

Ready? Nominate!
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-12-19 at 03:47 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Hindsight Awards: best movies of 1999. Round 1: nomination

Fight Club.

Partly because of a changed line that was so horrific that the studio wanted something else... and the director gave them something WORSE.

Also, Ed Norton and Brad Pitt beating each up. Plus Meatloaf!
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Fight Club.
    Already on the list.

Also, I ain't doing the talleys so I don't need to be impartial. Fight Club stunk.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4

PirateGirl

Checking over the page of releases, nothing there strikes me as worth adding that isn't already on the list so far. I've not seen a lot of these movies, but I already do know what my best is from among the ones I have seen. With Galaxy Quest on the list already, is there even a chance of anything else winning?
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Ravenous
    13th Warrior
    Ride With the Devil
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The best film of 1999 is already on the list, but I'll add the following, which I think deserve consideration:

Cruel Intentions
    Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    Dogma
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

American Beauty
    Dogma
    eXistenZ
    Fight Club
    Galaxy Quest
    The Matrix
    The Sixth Sense
    The 13th Warrior

Honorable Mention (meaning I liked them particularly but dont think they deserve to win)
    Bicentennial man
    Wild WIld West
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2019-12-17 at 06:13 PM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

8. - Top - End - #8

That was a great year! Magnolia, Being John Malkovich, eXistenZ, Eyes Wide Shut, The Straight Story, The Virgin Suicides and Titus all probably should be on the list. For my money, my favorite of the year might be Ghost Dog. I loved Audition, Bringiing out the Dead, In Dreams, Monkeybone, 8mm, Boondock Saints, and Bowfinger, though none of those I would consider "best". Weirdest movie that I love on that list is probably Attack The Gas Station!

But honestly the one I've watched the most times of anything there is easily the remake of House On Haunted Hill. I like horror, and that's a fun one!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

How did I miss Being John Malkovich?!

Yes, 1999 was a truly great year for film. Which makes it all the more puzzling that American Beauty took the oscar. It's a perfectly reasonable film (although it is dated) but you have to look back and go "...really? That?"

(Leaving aside the Kevin Spacey factor completely, obviously).
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I think you guys actually hit all the ones I might have seriously suggested. I am adding both Lake Placid and Deep Blue Sea on general principles.

I am away for the weekend, so I'll compile the list and open thread 2 next week.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    That was a great year! Magnolia, Being John Malkovich, eXistenZ, Eyes Wide Shut, The Straight Story, The Virgin Suicides and Titus all probably should be on the list. For my money, my favorite of the year might be Ghost Dog. I loved Audition, Bringiing out the Dead, In Dreams, Monkeybone, 8mm, Boondock Saints, and Bowfinger, though none of those I would consider "best". Weirdest movie that I love on that list is probably Attack The Gas Station!

But honestly the one I've watched the most times of anything there is easily the remake of House On Haunted Hill. I like horror, and that's a fun one!
    I'm not even sure I liked Ghost Dog when I saw it, but it was certainly very interesting. So...

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai.

Also, Eyes Wide Shut should probably be on the list, even if I'd call it Kubrick's worst movie.

Checking which Japanese movies came out that year on that Wiki list... none I've seen.
    German: none really worth mentioning. Lola Rennt won a lot of awards that year but came out in 1998.

PS: ALso, my brother would murder me if I did not nominate "Werner – Volles Rooäää!!!", a really stupid German cartoon that I can guarantee no one outside Germany has ever heard of.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

It's up. I hope I didn't miss anything.

Thanks for nominating!
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2020-01-05 at 09:00 AM.