New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default A template for space habitats.

I want to do a template, or table for space habitats. When I say space habitats it refers to any human residence that is not resting on a planetary body. The information is not for game mechanics, rather general information about the station, and i am looking for an input. If I should skip some categories or add some. IŽll place a template below and and another one below that one that is filled.

What I got so far:
    Name:
    Classification:
    Weight (tons):
    Gravity:
    Residential Capacity:
    Population:
    Ownership:
    Habitat Organizations:
    Local Administration:
    Industry:
    Import:
    Export:

Name: Megei Station
    Classification: Orbital Mining Station
    Weight (tons): 300,000
    Gravity: 0,6G
    Residential Capacity: 25,000
    Population: 33,000
    Ownership: Nokin Trade League
    Habitat Organizations: Nokin Trade League, Galactic Highway Constabulary
    Local Administration: Nokin Trade League
    Industry: Mining, Fuel Processing, Trade
    Import: Consumables, Electronic Hardware
    Export: Unprocessed metal ore

Suggestions?
    Last edited by Joethegoblin; 2019-12-15 at 05:56 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: A template for space habitats.

You probably want some space devoted to describing the general appearance and status of the station.

Shape- Is it a ring, or a big sphere, or a jumble of containers?

Size- Obviously this isn't an exact science due to irregular shapes, but it's still a useful metric in ways that mass is not. (speaking of which mass is a far better term than weight when talking about microgravity environments)

Functional Status and Appearance- How well-maintained is the station? Are the corridors dingy, do the wires spark? Does all the critical machinery still work? This could also factor in things like pirate attacks or disasters. Nothing tells a story better than scorch-marks and busted hull plating.

Prosperity- How many wealthy people are there compared to the working poor? Is the station as a whole making a profit, or spiraling in debt, or currently being sold off to new owners? These things will heavily influence the social structure of a station. Do the well-off isolate themselves, or work together with the less fortunate? Is society more egalitarian, or at least regimented in such a way that such things aren't as much of a concern (such as military stations)?

Social Stability- Is the place a den of crime or a well-regimented exemplar of functioning society? Any major discontent that might stem from the factors listed above, like rival criminal enterprises or massive income inequality? This stuff adds flavor and can provide interesting story hooks.

Facilities- What sort of services can this station provide? What size of ships can it dock inside and outside? Is this a mere fuel pump or a sprawling mess of shops and services? Does this station have the licenses/connections to sell certain equipment, like capital-grade weaponry or ships?

There's probably more to talk about, but you definitely shouldn't ignore these things entirely if the players intend to spend any time at all inside the station.
    Last edited by AdAstra; 2019-12-15 at 07:13 PM.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
    You probably want some space devoted to describing the general appearance and status of the station.

Shape- Is it a ring, or a big sphere, or a jumble of containers?

Size- Obviously this isn't an exact science due to irregular shapes, but it's still a useful metric in ways that mass is not. (speaking of which mass is a far better term than weight when talking about microgravity environments)

Functional Status and Appearance- How well-maintained is the station? Are the corridors dingy, do the wires spark? Does all the critical machinery still work? This could also factor in things like pirate attacks or disasters. Nothing tells a story better than scorch-marks and busted hull plating.

Prosperity- How many wealthy people are there compared to the working poor? Is the station as a whole making a profit, or spiraling in debt, or currently being sold off to new owners? These things will heavily influence the social structure of a station. Do the well-off isolate themselves, or work together with the less fortunate? Is society more egalitarian, or at least regimented in such a way that such things aren't as much of a concern (such as military stations)?

Social Stability- Is the place a den of crime or a well-regimented exemplar of functioning society? Any major discontent that might stem from the factors listed above, like rival criminal enterprises or massive income inequality? This stuff adds flavor and can provide interesting story hooks.

Facilities- What sort of services can this station provide? What size of ships can it dock inside and outside? Is this a mere fuel pump or a sprawling mess of shops and services? Does this station have the licenses/connections to sell certain equipment, like capital-grade weaponry or ships?

There's probably more to talk about, but you definitely shouldn't ignore these things entirely if the players intend to spend any time at all inside the station.
    The shape and such was intended to go into "Description/About". Good point though!
    Originally I had Size, measured in cubic meters. I decided to drop it because like you said, "Obviously this isn't an exact science due to irregular shapes". Weight gives vague concept of its scope, but like you said, Mass is a much better term!
    Prosperity is a good thought. I had a "standard of living Index" on planets. But Prosperity Index could be a more comfortable game term.
    Social Stability. I like it, and I will use it!

thanks for the input!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

AdAstra touched on social issues already so I won't go into that except to mention that how adventurers are treated may differ from how station residents are treated.

For example, the station under massive debt with a population of half-starved residents may try to cheat visitors out of every microcredit they can get, or they may offer lavish service in the hopes of attracting new business.

One might also mention how the station's environment is maintained. A station with ample park space and biological atmospheric recycling might be more resilient against mechanical failure, while a purely mechanical system might be easier to get back into service after a major hull breach.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

More categories:

Armaments: any big guns, turrets, shield generators, tractor beams etc. basically is it a military facility or civil, would it be easy prey for space pirates or other threats or a heavily defended battle station.

Demographics: is it primarily human? Alien? Mixed? Maybe not useful except if aliens need a different atmospheric makeup to breathe. (Like those from a water planet)

Also agree that socio-economics are important