New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Wandering among ten thousand tombs - Game Thread

Neis broke a mummy's leg with a javelin. Shaimose put an arrow into a mummy but it had no effect. Tarkasan just hit a mummy with his khopesh: damage - (1d6)[3]+1. Anki just evaded a mummy striking him with Neis' javelin.

Initiative order is Tarkasan and Anki, Neis, Shaimose, mummies. Remaining actions in this round are for Anki, Neis, Shaimose, mummy (Tarkasan just broke one of the two).
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2020-02-28 at 01:41 PM.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    LISTENING to a VANISHED GOD
    Mythistorical bundle

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Anki strikes with his kopesh at the mummy.
    (2d6+4)[10]

It's been a while sorry if I can't remember damage.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2020-03-05 at 06:35 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93

no problem, it's damage for khopesh plus Strength - (1d6+3)[6](6) which should get rid of that second mummy.

Two more mummies crowd through the doorway and stumble toward the four heroes.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    Mythistorical bundle

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

While backing up, Neis throws another javelin. Aiming for the mummy's head this time.

Attack: (3d6b2)[6] + 4 = 10
    damage: (1d6+1)[5]
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-03-07 at 09:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

Waiting for Shaimose, Tarkasan, and Anki ...
    Neis' javelin knocks a mummy's head off and that one collapses right in the temple doorway. The other stumbles over it and flails toward the group. Two more mummies crowd through the doorway, also stumbling over the headless fallen mummy. They also head toward the party.

Shaimose thinks he remembers seeing a dozen or more mummies entering the temple half an hour ago. Six of those are down or attacking the party, leaving six or more inside.
    Mythistorical bundle

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Aside from the three attacking us and the fallen ones, there should be at least six other mummies inside."

"... And their kind seems to be no match for the exceptional fighters my companions are: this gives me the chance to conduct a few tests with my arrows in relative safety."

Disappointed by the apparent ineffectiveness of his previous shots, Shaimose aimed the next one at the nearest enemy, more precisely at what he thought could be a weak spot, given his knowledge on the dead and the art of embalming.

Task rolls:
    [physician +2, mind +3, favor from Imhotep +dice] Shaimose tries to identify a weak spot - [roll0]+5
    [ranged +2, agility +1, favor from Neith +dice] Shaimose shoots an arrow at the nearest mummy, aiming at the weak spot identified (or the head, if he can't think of anything) - [roll1]+3
    damage - [roll2]

7. - Top - End - #97

SwashbucklerGuy

For some reason the rolls aren't showed, here are the new ones:
    roll0 -> (3d6b2)[9]+5
    roll1 -> (3d6b2)[11]+3
    roll2 -> (1d6)[3]

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cap View Post
    For some reason the rolls aren't showed, here are the new ones:
    roll0 -> [roll0]+5
    roll1 -> [roll1]+3
    roll2 -> [roll2]
    Shaimose' arrow plonks the lefthand rearmost mummy right in its white-glowing eye socket. The mummy collapses like a child's dancing toy whose master has cast off the strings. Now two mummies remain standing, lurching ever closer to the group. Another appears in the doorway.
    Mythistorical bundle

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Anki once again swings his khopesh at the closest mummy.

[Roll]2d6+3[/roll]
    Attack

[Roll]1d6+4[/roll]
    Damage
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2020-03-09 at 05:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Attack
    (2d6+3)[8]

Damage
    (1d6+4)[7]

11. - Top - End - #101

ok, just waiting for Tarkasan and Neis.
    Mythistorical bundle

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Aiming for the head seemed to be doing the trick, so Neis tries that again.

Attack: (3d6b2)[9] + 4 = 13
    damage: (1d6+1)[5]
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-03-10 at 12:12 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Does Neis have one javelin remaining that she hasn't thrown?
    Anki chops air. Neis' cast takes down the righthand rearward mummy (she couldn't hit the closest one because other heroes in the way). Now there is one mummy trying to grapple with Anki and one standing tentatively in the doorway and gesturing toward the party.
    mummy grapples Unarmed 2 Agility 1 - (2d6+3)[14] [roll=and wounds for]2d6b1-7[/roll]
    Mythistorical bundle

14. - Top - End - #104

[roll=and wounds for]2d6b1-7[/roll]
    wounds for d6L - (2d6)[2][5](7)
    The mummy grips Anki's throat with fingers like talons of a hawk. It is trying to rip his throat out. He feels its nails cutting into his skin toward his windpipe.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2020-03-10 at 01:07 PM.
    Mythistorical bundle

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Seeing the dreadful creatures grappling at his new comrade, Tarkasan strikes out with his khopesh towards the monster's back.

(2d6+4)[13] to hit
    (1d6+1)[4] dmg

16. - Top - End - #106

Anki feels the mummy's grip release as Tarkasan's khopesh breaks its spine and it collapses in a limp heap at Anki's feet.

The mummy in the doorway makes an emphatic gesture. The shadows of the group ripple on the ground. Everyone feels an all over burning sensation followed by cold clammy sweat and dizziness. It is sunburn and heat stroke, all in one instant.
    Everyone immediately suffers 2 Ka damage.
    Thus: Anki at -4 (5 Ka)
    Tarkasan at -2 (6 Ka)
    Neis at -2 (7 Ka)
    Shaimose at -2 (8 Ka)
    Everyone rolls physical actions with a penalty die (this cancels out any bonus from a deity)
    The mummy in the doorway slumps against the doorpost, apparently ennervated.
    Mythistorical bundle

17. - Top - End - #107

SwashbucklerGuy

"What the Duat ..."

The intense heat and the surprise left Shaimose breathless for a moment; whatever spell affected them, the undead was clearly the responsible, but the physician was bothered more by something else ...

"... the gestures toward us ... and when the other one fell ... was that grief?"

Another arrow was nocked, pointed at the mummy's head; the right hand was holding the string.

"Who are you?"

I delay my action.
    Last edited by Captain Cap; 2020-03-11 at 04:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108

The mummy in the doorway croaks a high-pitched noise like one of the small yellow frogs that hunt insects in the reeds along the River. As if in response, the closer mummy halts its lurching progress toward you and instead shuffles backward toward the doorway.
    Mythistorical bundle

19. - Top - End - #109

SwashbucklerGuy

Astonished, Shaimose slackened the string while lowering the bow.

"You're sentient ... and I bet you can understand me."
    Last edited by Captain Cap; 2020-03-11 at 10:39 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbius View Post
    Does Neis have one javelin remaining that she hasn't thrown?
    ((I didn't know I was meant to be tracking individual javelins. I assume I just had "enough". Given they're her primary means of combat she certainly has more than three though. If we need a specific number I'll leave it up to you what seems logical for her to be able to carry.))

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    ((I didn't know I was meant to be tracking individual javelins. I assume I just had "enough". Given they're her primary means of combat she certainly has more than three though. If we need a specific number I'll leave it up to you what seems logical for her to be able to carry.))
    It seems that two or three javelins were the traditional number for going into combat; with sufficiently slender shafts, one could be held in the throwing hand and two in the "quiver" hand.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2020-03-11 at 03:19 PM.
    Mythistorical bundle

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

((Ok then. I guess since I've made three whole attacks this combat I'm now done and can just sit around twiddling my thumbs while characters who focused on melee can make an infinite number of attacks or archers can be presumed to safely have enough ammunition for a single individual sized battle much less actual skirmishes and serious warfare. *shrug*
    Sounds like a real gripping and engaging roleplaying experience.))
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-03-11 at 10:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    ((Ok then. I guess since I've made three whole attacks this combat I'm now done and can just sit around twiddling my thumbs while characters who focused on melee can make an infinite number of attacks or archers can be presumed to safely have enough ammunition for a single individual sized battle much less actual skirmishes and serious warfare. *shrug*
    Sounds like a real gripping and engaging roleplaying experience.))
    She could use Heka. ... I didn't realize that she didn't have a back up melee weapon. A javelineer would carry one of those. Would you like to retcon that?

Also, she has a chariot. Probably has a sheaf of three or four additional javelins in there. She could split from action for a round to grab some of those and probably hurl them right from the chariot.

Javelins are about five to six feet long and the shafts are 3/4"-1" thick, they are kinda unwieldy. Carrying three at a time is a lot. They don't fit in a quiver like arrows.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2020-03-12 at 07:43 AM.
    Mythistorical bundle

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Your foul sorcery has no power here!" shouts Tarkasan. "Return to your labors in the underworld and trouble us no more!" He points the khopesh at the retreating mummy.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Neis tries to think of what prayers or rites would convince these dead that they were not the ones who so offended them.

((It really doesn't matter if she has a melee weapon or not. To be any good in any form of combat I had to design myself to be terrible at everything else. And using Heka for normal combat sounds like a pretty bad choice since it's guaranteed to harm me with a slight chance to kill me every time I use it.
    Saying there's more ammo in my chariot is just delaying the problem if we're keeping track of each javelin since eventually they'll break/go somewhere I can't retrieve them/we'll be in a situation where it's unreasonable for me to run back and forth to the chariot. ...admittedly this last kind of issue was something I wanted to solve with a Heka ritual right at the start but then we showed up and the priests were already in a panic because we started in the middle of an incident and now it doesn't seem like things are going to calm down enough for it to happen any time soon/ever.))

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for the delay: for some reason I am not getting updated emails as I requested from giants. I will have to figure something out.

Anki holds waiting for another attack. He tries to recover from the sudden heat exhaustion.

27. - Top - End - #117

Good people ... I'm sorry, but after the month long break I have forgotten where I intended this game to go. Without a clear direction, and with some player dissatisfaction, and given other things that I have going on, I think the time is right to discontinue this. I hope you all will understand that I would like to play again with you - either as a DM or as a fellow player - in some other game at some other time.
    Mythistorical bundle

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

That's fair, that server down break was pretty brutal on a lot of games I'm sure.
    Best of luck Tibbius, thanks for running it for us.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

You know I am up for any game you decide to run. Always interested and interesting.