New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wandering among ten thousand tombs - Game Thread

Neis proceeds in the direction of the temple, figuring that it's better to make sure someone reaches the temple.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry I haven't been posting. I couldn't really follow what was going on as one moment Neis and Tarkasan were supposed to be heading away from the undead and then suddenly Tarkasan was fighting them with a rope it seemed like it was previously established nobody had or something? Also I've got a cold which makes it a bit more difficult.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Anki pulled up the chariot before the marble steps of the Osiris Temple, sparing a glance over his shoulder toward the soldiers who had stopped their panicked flight to turn and watch what happened next.*He gathered his weapons and proceeded to temple looking to see if the others had decided to join him.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dismounting their chariots, Anki, Shaimose, and Neis cautiously ascended the steps of the temple. At the far side of the building, the tail of the mummy procession came near. The dark parade of bodies wrapped in myrrh-soaked bandages stretched more than half a mile, several corpses across. There were thousands of them marching.

The temple porch was quiet and coolly shadowed. The thick marble columns and the thirty-foot-high flat marble roof gleamed purely white streaked with veins of gold and silver. The great wooden doors of the temple stood open.

A soldier lay sprawled across the threshold, eyes wide, breathless. Dead. His axe lay on the porch, a cubit from his desperately outstretched fingers.

There was motion within the dimly-lit interior of the temple.

= = =

Tarkasan found the town depopulated, all the people hastily departed for the ferry landing three thousand cubits away. The little buildings stood vacant, reed-thatched roofs and linen doorcloths and curtains and bricks of mud and straw all silent in the sunlight. Even the priests who had been in the gardens had gone down to the river, where it appeared they were trying to exert their authority for the sake of spots on the next overloaded flatboat. A few boats rocked across the broad course of the river, five of them heavily loaded and headed for Menefer, two coming lightly and swiftly back to Saqqara.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    LISTENING to a VANISHED GOD
    Mythistorical bundle

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Tarkasan watched for a few moments as the residents tried to evacuate the town. He hoped that the peasants and boatmen would respect the natural order of things and allow the priests to cross first safely, but just to be sure... he approached the docks where the crowd was and shouted, "Men of Saqqara! There is time enough for all of you to leave. I will personally see to it!" he raised his khopesh in demonstration. "Let the priests through to report this incident to the court!" Once done, he turned and drove his chariot over to the temple where he saw the others were gathering.

Spoiler
    Show
    (2d6+2)[11] to convince the crowd to remain orderly and to let the priests across first.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

''Tarkasan's unsuccessful use of the rope was enough to trigger a chase, so shooting an arrow at the dead, even without hitting one, should have the same result ... also, given this soldier's fate, there'd likely be no risk of injuring a living one.''

Nonchalantly, Shaimose drew his bow and nocked a projectile.

''Dealing with the invaders would surely be easier outside.''

The shot was fired at the first sign of movement indoors.

Spoiler: Task roll
    Show
    Ranged 2 Agility 1 Favored for archery - (3d6)[5][6][2](13)+3
    (damage) (1d6)[6]

6. - Top - End - #66

Shaimose's shaft shirred over Anki's shoulder and into the shadowed interior. It thumped into something that had moved.

There was a moment as Anki and Neis paused on the steps.

A mummy lurched hastily out of the doorway, arrowshaft protruding from its abdomen. With hands outstretched, clutching and flexing like falcon talons, it hustled toward Shaimose heedless of Anki and Neis interposed. It seemed willing to go through them to get at him.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    Mythistorical bundle

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Anki throws his spear at the undead. He then will unsheathed his khopesh sword.
    Spoiler: attack
    Show
    (2d6+5)[11]

8. - Top - End - #68

damage from spear - (d6+3)[4]

Anki's spear strikes the mummy in the chest. It collapses to the marble tiles of the porch floor. Two more mummies crowd in the doorway behind the crumpled pile of bandaged limbs and torso.
    Mythistorical bundle

9. - Top - End - #69

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Do they move fast too?

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cap View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do they move fast too?
    The mummies don't move very quickly, even when they're obviously trying to be hasty. In the forty feet between the doorway and the steps of the porch, there would be time for Shaimose to get in at least one arrow. Maybe two. ((second roll would have a penalty die.))
    Mythistorical bundle

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well this is embarrassing, I seem to have misplaced my character information. Does anyone have a link to the recruitment thread?

12. - Top - End - #72

Spoiler: Character info
    Show
    First post of this game thread.
    Mythistorical bundle

13. - Top - End - #73

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    ((second roll would have a penalty die.))
    Why the penalty? In the other thread you wrote that the only downside of Ranged in melee is having Unarmed for defense.
    you could use a ranged weapon at close quarters but any attacker would use your Unarmed Ability for the difficulty of their roll (bows and slings aren't defensive weapons).

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cap View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Why the penalty? In the other thread you wrote that the only downside of Ranged in melee is having Unarmed for defense.
    Spoiler: Why the penalty die
    Show
    I was thinking Shaimose would try to get off a second shot really quick, before the mummies reached Anki and Neis - there would be a penalty for rushing the shot. If he wants to wait for his second shot until the melee is joined, there would be no penalty die, but a miss could be bad.
    Mythistorical bundle

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Neis rapidly backs up as she hurls a javelin at one of the mummies, more aimed at pinning a leg to the floor than attempting to instantly incapacitate it.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (3d6b2)[5] + 4 = 9
    damage: (1d6+1)[5]
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-01-20 at 05:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Tarkasan sees the scuffle in the entryway of the Osiris temple. Throwing the reins of his chariot to Neis's driver, he tells the man to make the chariots ready for a quick escape, if need be. He picks up his khopesh and stands next to Anki, to form a wall against the oncoming horde of two.

Spoiler
    Show
    (2d6+3)[7] roll for attacking once needed

17. - Top - End - #77

If you don't mind, please let's stop spoilering OoC stuff and just put it in bold italics. Also please stop spoilering dice rolls. Just makes it easier for me to figure out what's going on when I'm posting a response. Using commented roll macros like [ rollv=Neis throws her javelin ]3d6[ /rollv ] +4 also would help me keep track of events.

Thank you if you go along with this, otherwise ok.

Round 1 Melee
    Waiting for Shaimose to shoot one or two arrows. Neis has thrown her javelin, Tarkasan and Anki are waiting to receive the mummy charge.
    Mythistorical bundle

18. - Top - End - #78

SwashbucklerGuy

As the dead advanced, Shaimose shot an arrow at the enemy already targeted by Neis, and immediately another one.

Task rolls:
    (the second target is the same as the first one, if still standing, or else the other mummy)

(ranged +2, agility+1, favored for archery +dice) Shaimose shoots arrow - (3d6)[3][2][1](6)+3
    damage - (1d6)[4]
    (ranged +2, agility +1 favored for archery +dice, penalty -dice) Shaimose shoots arrow - (2d6)[6][4](10)+3
    damage - (1d6)[4]

19. - Top - End - #79

Neis hurls her javelin. It breaks the leg of the mummy slightly closer than the other, and that one topples sideways to the floor of the porch, where it lies slowly writhing toward the group.

Shaimose's first arrow goes wide of the falling mummy. His second thumps into the chest of the still-standing second mummy, which seems undeterred by the slender shaft. It lurches forward, and as it approaches, it yanks Neis' javelin from its fallen comrade's leg.

mummy attacking Anki Melee 1 Strength 1 - (2d6)[1][2](3)+2 (TN 13) with javelin - (2d6)[2][6](8)
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2020-01-21 at 09:11 PM. Reason: that should have been Weapons 1, no Agility, so 1 less on the attack. Still misses.
    Mythistorical bundle

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Tarkasan cautiously struck at the advancing mummy. Too cautious, he didn't get a solid blow in. The next time it came close to him, he swung his sword with a more determined abandon, trying to strike down the unnatural thing.

to hit mummy - (2d6+3)[10]

21. - Top - End - #81

Sorry ... the 503 / server too busy errors have been a real hassle. This is the first chance I've had to post, and it looks like no-one else has been able to post up either. Not sure what to do with this game now.
    Mythistorical bundle

22. - Top - End - #82

SwashbucklerGuy

Yeah ... lately the site is more often out of service than not. By the way, what's the actual turn order?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm ready.

24. - Top - End - #84

Roll call - who's still here?
    Mythistorical bundle

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

I am still here.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'm still here.

27. - Top - End - #87

SwashbucklerGuy

Here I am.

28. - Top - End - #88

... waiting for Ramsus ... I'll PM.
    Mythistorical bundle

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

I'm here. I've completely lost track of what's happened so far though. So a recap would be greatly appreciated.

30. - Top - End - #90

Woke up. Saw movement out among the tombs. Saw people fleeing the town to take the ferry across the Nile to Menefer. Went to investigate, found column of mummies approaching town from tombs. Some mummies invaded the temple and chased out Pharaoh's soldiers, who had expelled the priests last night. Currently fighting the mummies on the temple porch.
    Mythistorical bundle