New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Making a Jedi-analogue in True20

A friend bought the system recently and wants to test it out with a little multiverse campaign, meaning we can make characters around absolutely any theme. And we'll apparently be starting at level 2, and I just want to go into character creation with some idea of what to do. I don't know much about True20, although I did play Blue Rose a bit years ago.

And note that when I say Jedi I don't mean exactly, with the full rainbow of Force powers. I just want to make a mystic space knight with an energy sword (which I understand to be in the system) and preferably some of the following:

*Telekinesis
    *Super leaping
    *Psychic powers
    *Precognition
    *Defence against projectiles
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Making a Jedi-analogue in True20

The short answer is: you can do it, but it'll be kind of messy.

True20 is an early d20-based system, which means that it falls into the trap of wildly overvaluing combat, giving you almost no skills, gating combat maneuvers behind chains of feats, and giving one class way better magic than the others. The warrior-specific feats aren't very good, but they're the only people who get full BAB, and the class that gets powers gets a very bad BAB, and using powers tends to require a Will save, which only the class that's bad at fighting is good at.

So, long story short, basic Jedi functionality requires you to reach Level 4, and be Adept 2, Warrior 2. Here's how you get your chosen powers:

Adept 2 gives you a total of 5 Feats, which can be General or Supernatural.

* You need the Weapon Training feat to use a laser sword
    * You can then take the following four powers to have some basic Jedi functionality. "Move Object" is your basic telekinesis, "Suggestion" covers Mind Tricks, "Visions" gives you precognition, "Mind Touch" lets you actually communicate with people's minds.

Then, at Level 3, you can buy a level of Warrior and then pick up Canny Dodge feat to add Wisdom to your defense.

For projection from projectiles, you need the "Deflect Arrows" feat. This inexplicably cannot be taken by either Adepts or Warriors, so if you want it you'd need to sacrifice another point of combat bonus to the Expert class. Or you can shake your GM until they agree that yes, deflecting arrows is a thing the combat-focused class should be able to do, and take it at Level 4 as your Warrior Feat.

You can conceivably get jumping, but first you need to buy Body Control, a supernatural power that lets you do such amazing things as go to sleep, get a second saving throw against fear, or heal slightly faster. Once you do that, and also reach Level 4, you can buy a power that lets you boost your movement speed by x10 and increase your jump distance by x5 for one action. This can cause you to become fatigued, and counts as a full-round action. Both of these are Supernatural powers, so you'd need to take two more levels of Adept to get them, causing your combat bonus to suffer.

Alternately, you could just sigh quietly and then buy Skill Focus (Jump) at Level 5.

Note also that because True20 is based on d20, you will have a grand total of (2 + Intelligence) skills at max rank, and Acrobatics and Jump are separate skills.
    Last edited by Friv; 2019-12-27 at 04:53 PM.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Making a Jedi-analogue in True20

Isn't Knights of the Old Republic as a mock-up D&D 3.0/3.5 a good chassis for any kind of d20 Jedi stuff?

You got your warrior type (good combat ability, bad skills, bad to middling casting ability), you got your sentinel (rogue-ish: mediocre combat, good skills, middling casting) and you got your scholar/sage (bad combat ability, bad skills, very good casting).

So you'd basically make a hybrid class from the original three. And honestly what Friv proposes is sensible. The jedi are not bitching about the process of becoming one taking ages for nothing.