New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Rings of an Exiled Star IC

As your ship quietly slips out of the colorful dimension known as the Drift, the multitude of asteroids known as the Devil's Teeth greets your 'eyes' as the ship's sensors display the surrounding area on a screen. It doesn't take long before the mining outpost is located, drifting listlessly through a small cluster of space rock, its massive maneuvering engines silent and its beacon equally unresponsive.

The outpost's hull, bearing the insect aesthetic common to Shirren construction, seems to have sustained no damage, its shields occasionally deflecting a stray hunk of rock or two, revealing that its power core is still functional. However, its proximity to the asteroid field guarantees its eventual destruction should one of the larger rocks come crashing into it.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2020-01-06 at 02:07 PM.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Rings of an Exiled Star IC

Cal

The young woman stands before the sensor screen, looking at it as the Devil's Teeth appear. She frowns. "Well, we're here. It's never a pretty sight, the Teeth. Any of you fliers ever navigate them?" She speaks in an emotionless, even tone. The frown quickly disappears from her face.

When the station appears on the screen the frown returns, and she scratches at her chest as she looks at the station. "Well, seems like it's unresponsive. Doesn't look like there's any damage though, I'm not sure what that means. What do you guys think? I'm assuming there's at least one of us with a good knowledge of engineering and ships?"
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2020-01-08 at 05:35 PM.
    Characters in play:

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Irra

Irra, standing on the bridge alongside the rest of the crew, lets out a little sigh as the Lightning drops out of the Drift. He’s always loved the colors of the Drift, and the sight that now greeted him was anything but colorful. His head jerks up slightly as one of his new companions— Cal, was it?— asks if anyone here had experience in the Teeth. “I’ve had some piloting experience ‘round these parts,” he says, turning to face Cal.

As the shirren station appears, Cal resumes her talking. Irra waits until she’s finished, then speaks up. “No damage but unresponsive says to me one of two things: deliberately deactivated or attacked from th’ inside. I’d have to get closer to tell. And as for engineerin’ and ship knowledge, I’m your guy.” He pauses a second before continuing. “The way I see it, we’re goin’ to have to board th’ thing, or at least get closer, to determine our next step.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Starbuck

Starbuck Hearing the alert tone of the ship preparing to leave the drift starts out for the bridge. shortly after walking on to the bridge alongside the rest of the crew, The ship having just left the drift. Hearing the young lady speaking "I'm assuming there's at least one of us with a good knowledge of engineering and ships?" Looking out the viewport at the station, Well I know a few things about ships but we are not close enough to determine much from here.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the mercenaries began to congregate around the screen, the small, somewhat creepy droid that had been scuttling around the Lightning's corridors approached as well. It seemed to be some sort of doc-droid, judging from the way it had been dutifully scanning the crew every day; but now that they'd reached their destination, it had a long-barreled energy rifle and bits of other combat and survival gear secured across its back. Not just part of the ship's automated systems, apparently. Perched on six spindly limbs, it only came up to around waist height to the group of humans. It was sheathed in some sort of mottled, translucent synthskin that looked... maybe a little uncannily realistic?

"If the station's inhabitants have died, I can tell you what killed them," the robot informed its new crewmates. Perhaps it was just the imagination, but behind the expected flat tone of an artificial intelligence, there was almost an undercurrent of anticipation at the prospect. "My programming specializes in protocols relating to living and psuedo-living beings. You may call me Nix." Its sensors swiveled to take in the station. "Perhaps, however - instead of flexing our intellectual muscles - our first course of action should be to try and establish remote contact with the station's automated systems? Though I am but a humble robot and know little of such matters," it added, with something that seemed suspiciously like sarcasm.
    Last edited by technoRomancer; 2020-01-10 at 01:11 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The computer gives series of beeps, signalling the arrival of a small packet of data. A quick scan of the packet reveals no viruses. Indeed, it seems too small for any sort of program.
    The passive scanners ping once more, revealing an empty mining dock big enough to accommodate a small starship. An airlock on the starboard side of the outpost also comes up on the scanners, revealing a potential point for the Lightning to dock.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gale had been quiet up till now, running scans of the Lightning's A.I. as well as messing around in it's hardware. She listens to the group talking, content with them doing there own thing for the moment. She rolls out from beneath on of the panels she's messing with, on one of those sliders meant for mechanics. Standing up she heads for the main interface on the bridge. "Of course we should investigate the ship itself, kinda of why we are here." She would access the computer and try to see what the data packet was about and where it came from.
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Cal

As Gale is accessing the computer to deal with the package, Calliope just looks at the screen. "Hm... I wonder if there's anything still alive in there." She looks at the others not currently occupied. "I'm going to see if they'll respond to communication. Doesn't look like they will, but maybe we'll get lucky. You guys see if you can decide which entrance we should take." Calliope turns to a nearby computer console and attempts to open communications with the station.

If there is no answer to her hails she'll try to scan the station to see if she can find out which systems are still up and running.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Probably going to need a computers check: (1d20+14)[23]
    Characters in play:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Irra speaks up. “I vote we dock th’ Lightnin’ and explore on foot. I’ve seen too many close scrapes because of crews not stickin’ together.” With this, he calls his drone to his side and activates one of its subroutines. The drone’s form begins to shift, with its mini-jets rotating and its longarm deactivating, until the drone has changed into what looks like a small backpack attached to Irra. Activating a different bit of programming, the drone backpack’s jets activated, sending Irra hovering a couple of feet off of the deck. “Well, what are we waitin’ for?” he asks.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Use the Drone Meld mechanic trick to allow Irra to use his drone’s jets.
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2020-01-13 at 03:08 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The data packet seems to have come from the Lightning itself. Off-hand the data packet seems to be a jumbled mess of sound files. It also seems to be short-lived, as it disappears quite quickly.

Meanwhile, as Calliope tries to hail the outpost, it still fails to respond. The active scanners quickly discern the outpost's active systems and everything seems to be working except for the beacon and the maneuvering engines. The outpost doesn't seem to have any life-signs on the surface, due to the thick plating and some strange interference coming from the mining dock, but there's no guarantee there aren't mining personnel deeper inside.

As Irra voices his plan, another series of chirps signal the return of the data packet and the ship's engines flare up as if in response to the mechanic's question. The Lightning's navigational systems begin to set a course for the airlock as the ship begins to move towards the silent outpost.

Show
    The Lightning's Helm is not locked so if you want to change course you can.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Cal

Calliope sighs. "Nope. No response. Beacon and engines are dead too." She looks up from the panel at the others and notes that their ship is moving. "So, we're moving in then? Which entrance are we taking?"
    Characters in play:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Lightning certainly seems to have a mind of its own," Nix observed innocuously, as if he weren't himself an artificial intelligence. "I appreciate its initiative." It was starting to look like a death toll was in his future, and the prospect of inspecting a station's worth of humanoids had him twitching in anticipation. "It appears the main airlock is our only option unless we wish to divide the team," he added to the technician's question. "Feel free to do so! I will gather up the pieces if something starts picking you off one by one." To... put them back together, presumably..?
    Last edited by technoRomancer; 2020-01-15 at 10:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

I would advise from splitting the team up we do not know what is the cause of all that yet. As it looks like we will be boarding them soon, I'll grab my guns as we head to the airlock

14. - Top - End - #14

Moving away from the computer, she starts checking her gear which is all on her aside from her weapon. "Yea, there's not need to separate the group already." She looks at the ship, "A.I. do you have a designation? I trust you are advanced enough to maintain the ship so we don't have to leave anyone behind?" She would type on her wrist computer and make sure her drone's systems are ready.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The ship doesn't respond as it pulls up beside the outpost, a few stray meteoroids pinging off the ship's shields.

The airlock connects with the ship with no issue as it cycles the atmosphere in preparation for the boarding party before it opens up with a slight hiss.
    The entrance of the outpost is a cramped series of corridors that have little regard for aesthetics, wires and pipes exposed for easy repair work. A few tools can be seen abandoned inside the nooks and crannies, a few still active as if left behind while performing some maintenance work.
    Thankfully, the gravity seems to be functioning properly, your feet firmly planted on the ground and lights illuminating the entire area.
    However, there is a sense of apprehension that fills the recycled air. The only sounds in the deserted corridors are of the life support's steady humming and your footsteps resounding on the metal floor.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Cal

As most of the others seem to be preparing themselves for a fight, Calliope pretends to do the same. That is to say, she adjusts the holster holding her blaster slightly and she checks if her armor is properly secured.

After the ship docks and the crew prepares to board, Calliope speaks up. "I'm ready," she says. And after a short pause: "So uh... since I've never worked with you guys before, who's going in first? And can everyone give a short run-down of their specific skills? I'll start: I can mess with people's heads."
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2020-01-19 at 05:59 PM.
    Characters in play:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Looking at the airlock turning to Cal, I am a pilot, with military background and I can handle many weapons.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well! It sounds like we have our point-human," Nix declared, one spindly limb giving Starbuck a gentle nudge forward. "I can only handle the one," the robot continued, hefting his needler. "Though my appendages are myriad, regretfully I am only capable of wielding a weapon with these two. Your mastery of arms sounds very impressive, though! I look forward to seeing you and your many weapons in action. From a safe distance."

Though he didn't really have a head to turn, between his many swiveling sensors it became apparent Nix's attention had shifted to Calliope. "As I alluded to earlier - I am a biotechnician, of sorts. If it has any semblance of life, I can tell you how to make it bleed. If you're bleeding, I can make it stop. Please inform me immediately of any injuries you sustain so I might... attend to them," he added with surprisingly sincere-sounding cheeriness.
    Last edited by technoRomancer; 2020-01-20 at 10:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfolding his drone from his shoulders, Irra touches down gracefully. “If you need a computer hacked, a starship flown, or anythin’ dead, that’s what I’m here for.” Irra says, as his drone takes up position directly above him. “My drone here can serve as a damn good scout, and it’s got as much firepower as I do.”

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

“Anyways, what are we waitin’ around for? I doubt there’s anythin’ nice waitin’ for us on this station, so let’s find out what happened, rescue any survivors, and get th’ hell out of here” Irra says, almost irritably. Heading through the airlock, he spots a nearby terminal, which most likely has a blueprint of the station, or at least some information. There’s some basic security on the terminal, but Irra bypasses it in seconds. “Alright, I’m in. Let’s see what we’ve got...” Irra mutters, as his drone watches from above.

21. - Top - End - #21

"You all should know me!" Gale says, placing her hands on her hips above her skirt and tilting a bit, "I'm the voice of the Googanheek Company! Abigail "Gale" Googanheek!" She calms her voice a bit, before giving more usable information. "My field of expertise is magic and technology. I'm also a great engineer and a decent pilot. Iris, launch the drone." "Of course," a female voice speaking from what seemed to be something on her wrist would reply, and a basic camera drone would fly from around the corner. Before leaving, she would pick up a compact rifle and sling it around her shoulder.

She would watch Irra work on the station's security, paying attention to both his work and actual progress.
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2020-01-23 at 02:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Cal

"Right, right. Of course. I'm so sorry miss Goobledeek." Calliope quickly turns to look at Starbuck, suppressing a grin. "Bucky. You're definitely the toughest person on this crew. You're taking point?" She pauses for a second. "I can stay close by, keep my eyes open for unnatural threats."

Before stepping into the station with Irra and Gale the mystic takes a moment to center herself and clear her mind. Then, she speaks a few magical words and her eyes light up with an unnatural light for a moment before it fades again. She takes a good long look around before stepping into the station. "Right. I'm good to go."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Calliope casts see invisibility on herself, lasting 100 minutes.
    Characters in play:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

looking back at Cal , Just Starbuck please, unbuttoning her sidearm and knife for quick access if needed, then she pulls out her rifle and adjusts her Targeting computer to it, walking in as quietly as possible looking around she she proceeds carefully.
    Perception (1d20+13)[26], stealth (1d20+11)[25]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Irra's search of the computer system pulls up the basic schematics of the outpost.
    The generator is located in the center of the outpost, isolated and shielded from the rest of the outpost.
    The drift engine and beacon are predictably located in the rear while the maneuvering thrusters are placed all about the outpost, so as to give it enough agility to avoid asteroids.
    The outpost also features an extensive refining and processing section.
    The Shirren-built outpost also seems to boast a large shield generator and dozens of point defenses.
    A few spots within the outpost are marked as 'Citadel' areas, whatever that might mean.
    Gale can quite easily tell that Irra knows what he's doing, she doesn't notice any hidden security measures that he doesn't already take care of.

Starbuck's eyes flit across the hallways, not seeing any movement. However, she can't help but think that there are too many items scattered about. Tools, datapads, and even a few half-eaten nutrition bars litter the floor. There aren't signs of struggle but so too is there a lack of any evidence to suggest why the halls looked abandoned.

As Calliope's eyes adjust to see the unseen, movement at the terminal Irra is working on catches her attention. Some sort of ooze silently slithers across the glowing terminal, directly in front of the engineer, who doesn't seem at all aware of the being in front of him. It takes a moment before Calliope realizes she is the only one who can perceive the events unfolding before her.
    It rises up, as if imitating an Earth-snake, preparing to strike at the man.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

While they had prepared to board the station, Nix spent a few minutes fiddling with the settings for his camouflage membrane, blending in with the artificial colors of metal, plastic, and paint. Now that they had arrived, he ignored the human tapping away at the terminal interface. His scanners were focused on the corridors beyond, alert for signs of life. At the same time, some of his sensors swept the immediate vicinity for cover to move into, crates or barricades or the like; in situations where danger was a possibility, he preferred to keep to the shadows.
    Last edited by technoRomancer; 2020-01-23 at 11:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Cal

"IRRA! LOOK OUT! INVISIBLE OOZE ON THE TERMINAL! GET BACK!"

Calliope makes a grab for her weapon.
    Characters in play:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Irra knows a warning shout when he hears one, and he jumps back, drawing his weapon and aiming it directly at the terminal. As he does this, the long barrel of a disintegrator rifle suddenly emerges from his drone, aiming at the same spot that Irra is.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

The warning comes too late as the ooze lashes out, aiming for Irra's face. Fortunately, his armor affords him the time to get away as it simply slides off the weave of his armor.
    Although still unseen, Irra has a good idea of where his assailant is.
    So too does Nix, whose advanced sensors allow him to detect the ooze's location as it moved, though he too can't see the slimy opponent.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+9)[14] vs. KAC -2 (Irra is FF since it is invisible to him)
    damage: (1d4+5)[7]
    If the attack beats Irra's KAC by 4, he's grappled.

Edit: Wow, the RNG really seems to favor you guys when it counts the most.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2020-01-24 at 12:45 PM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Cal

"Oh no you don't." Calliope takes a deep breath and murmurs a small prayer to some unseen entity. Then, she points at the still invisible ooze, hoping to remove whatever magic is keeping it from sight.

Show
    Standard action to cast dispel magic to try and remove the invisibility. Dispel check: (1d20+10)[22]
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2020-01-24 at 04:19 PM.
    Characters in play:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Instead of trying to fire vaguely in the direction he was fairly certain the mysterious assailant had struck out from, Nix focused his full suite of biosensors at it, performing a deep-level scan. At the same moment, there was a sudden movement of his rifle, and Irra felt a barely-perceptible prick on the back of his neck. A new awareness flooded the human;s senses, his mind somehow instantly adjusting as if he'd always had it.

Show
    Status
    Stam: 80
    HP: 62
    Res: 12
    Biohacks: 5/6

Move: Life Science (1d20+20)[24] to identify the slime with his Custom Microlab.

Standard: Nix will deliver a Genetics Booster to Irra, granting him blindsight (60ft) for an hour.