New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Judge Jerry

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Judge Jerry

Well, Jerry Springer went to a new path for being a judge.
    Spoiler: My Thoughts On Judge Jerry
    Show
    Well Jerry Springer give up his infamous talk show to become a judge. So far I watching one episode of Judge Jerry. There was a part where a woman who wants to sue a man for the house damage that he inflicted. She won the case. This TV show is good. Jerry Springer is very fair for being a judge. At first, I thought that this will be a mock justice show which was very similar to his talk show. But it wasn't anything like that. And at least he isn't anything like Judge Judy. So I'll give Judge Jerry 4 out of 5 stars.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Judge Jerry

You do understand that it is most definitely a mock justice show? While Jerry has a law degree, he's never passed the bar and never been appointed a judge. The people there have agreed to air their small claims court issues on tv instead of going to actual court.

Officially nothing he does is legally binding in and of itself. The people involved have probably signed agreements indicating they will abide by the decision, and both are getting some manner of compensation for being on the show.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    You do understand that it is most definitely a mock justice show? While Jerry has a law degree, he's never passed the bar and never been appointed a judge. The people there have agreed to air their small claims court issues on tv instead of going to actual court.

Officially nothing he does is legally binding in and of itself. The people involved have probably signed agreements indicating they will abide by the decision, and both are getting some manner of compensation for being on the show.
    Are you sure about that? It looks 101% legit to me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Springer absolutely passed the bar exam. Idk where you found that information but he was a lawyer for years and he still has a license
    It's suspended, but he has it.

Info on when he passes is hard to come by, but it was the Ohio Bar Exam. He passed it. Sometime after or in 1968. He practiced law for a while before getting into politics and then into his talk show in the 80's
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-01-11 at 12:17 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I did a little looking and he was a partner in Cincinnati law firm for 12 years. He also was a political campaign adviser to Robert Kennedy and Mayor of Cincinnati as well as being a popular news anchor. The guy has kept BUSY.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Are you sure about that? It looks 101% legit to me.
    They design it to look real, sure. But it, along with all court shoes, are reality shows. The producers pay all costs; whoever loses doesn't pay anything, because the show pays. Both parties also get paid an appearance fee. It's not a real court, the rulings aren't binding. It's entertainment, not law.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I did a little looking and he was a partner in Cincinnati law firm for 12 years. He also was a political campaign adviser to Robert Kennedy and Mayor of Cincinnati as well as being a popular news anchor. The guy has kept BUSY.
    Im actually really happy he was able to break out of the Jerry Springer Show. Dude as smart as all get out and never wanted that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Yeah, I didn't want to bring his politics in but that is all accurate. He actually practiced law for 15 years, just twelve with a firm. He is wicked smart and has a really keen eye for business. Been through a hell of a lot too. He's a lot more than just "the guy behind the Jerry Springer Show".
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-01-12 at 06:14 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    They design it to look real, sure. But it, along with all court shoes, are reality shows. The producers pay all costs; whoever loses doesn't pay anything, because the show pays. Both parties also get paid an appearance fee. It's not a real court, the rulings aren't binding. It's entertainment, not law.
    Isn't it binding if they both sign an arbitration agreement?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Isn't it binding if they both sign an arbitration agreement?
    Yeah, I put that badly. Like, it's binding in the sense of "if Bob has the dog and Alice says it's hers and the arbiter awards Alice the dog then she gets the dog,*" but if they say they find in favor of the plaintiff or the defendant has to pay X money, they don't, because it's paid by the show. It's actually in the guilty party's favor to go on those shows if they value money over pride and privacy.

*and I'm not even sure about that, in theory they could just pay the value to whoever they took it from.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-01-12 at 08:38 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thanks for correcting me on Jerry. I'd heard he had not passed the bar but was apparently misinformed.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Thanks for correcting me on Jerry. I'd heard he had not passed the bar but was apparently misinformed.
    Most people probably do assume he is on the same lowest-common-denominator level as his talk show guests, since he's been pidgeonholed to it so thoroughly.