New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Chronicles of A Twisted Ascension IC

It's ... umm ... I'm ... but...
    Laura's outrage was understandable and she actually reacted quite calmly. It was just, he didn't know how to act towards her. After all, she once was practically destroying his home...

On the other hand, the notches in the tree have healed, everything as before.
    And in a way, this woman was interesting and maybe it made sense to team up with her, if only temporarily.

"Remiel, hello!" he looked for her hand and this time it was him who shook it. Her handshake was firm. "She's tough," he thought.
    A quick exchange of looks between Laura and Nana, a shy scratch on his head and he asked Laura "um, would you like something to drink?“ He still shook her hand.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

@Remiel: What a way to start out in this place.

Insulting the barkeep by throwing money at her and leaving a potential ally hanging with the handshake, something your hopefully quick to remedy as Nana takes a copper from you and pockets it as she turns her back to both.

"There was a great Chinese Tea House down the block... fifteen years ago. It's burnt down now. We serve coffee here, hence the name of the place. And if you're aching for something stronger, alcohol. You'd be surprised how many come in for their early Breakfast of Champions, so I keep the barrels full even at this hour."

The gnome is quick to heat the water and after a few minutes, places a semi clean mug in front of you with a brackish liquid inside and the strong scent of coffee invading your nostrils.

"I'll let you decide what it tastes like. But you wanted to know about the incident? I guess I can make time before this place gets packed."

@Laura & Remiel: Nana serves herself a cup of coffee and hands Laura a free one as the bus boys finish mopping and nod to Nana before leaving the place, making sure to glance at you both before heading out.

"Almost a year ago, a group of good folk from the City and beyond took down one of The Mercy's biggest tyrants- Boss Sarjon. I won't go into details about that, since it's not relevant to the tale. What is relevant, is that one of those who deposed him was a noble from a far away land. A royal, from what little I learned about her lineage.

Her name was Princess Keéra, and she was one of the rare good souls to come around here. Not only did she rid us of Sarjon, but before leaving back to her homeland, she donated a large amount of money to build the House of Knowledge. Basically a school. Many here have grown up without proper education and with Connor and his stupid laws past the Wall, many found it easier to resort to a life of crime here. It was her wish to stop that gradually by turning the House of Knowledge not only into a school, but also a hospice. A safe haven from the many cutthroats that hide in alleys after dark.

Leaving in charge of such a House was a young girl from The Mercy. An orphan like many here after the Great Fire. Her name was Hannah Bartell and although she may not have been a pretentious wizard or a zealous priest, she had the drive to learn and teach. Many groups here took it upon themselves to protect Hannah and the House of Knowledge, seeing it as a true bastion against the ever present malice this place attracts.

And for a time, it worked.""

Nana takes a big sip from her mug and exhales loudly before continuing with her tale.

"Warlords here are like the hydra from myth- cut one head off, two more grow in its place. It wouldn't take long for another group to rise and threaten The Mercy, attempting to subdue all other factions. Some say they even had access to machines from the old days, making them an actual threat. Enough to unite warring factions against this common foe.

The day came and war in The Mercy took place. Many of course flocked to the House of Knowledge, were they knew they'd be safe... and here's where the tale takes on a grim side.

I had gathered a lot of people in here, suspecting something may be wrong with the old school house. Sadly, I was right. At least four dozen people became trapped in that place and something crept in. I don't know what it was, but the cries of panic and pain were heard for miles in The Mercy. Those who were fighting the war against the new warlord, weary and tired, ran to assist and it must've been bad enough that The Exalted Highfather Jace of Pelor flew all the way here to lend a hand.

The House of Knowledge was burnt down to the ground. Its remains can still be visited a few blocks away from here. The dead from both the war and what transpired in that House hit us hard to this very day. It must've reached Connor's ears as well since he decided to establish a blockade of sorts right outside the wall...and blame it on the Olidammarans, of course. Always the Olidammarans because who else would do that, right?""

@Einkil: Despite their age and neglect, these buildings still stand.

And then you hear some talk. Thieves arguing with each other as one is apparently taken out and before you have a chance to eavesdrop some more and leave, your senses catch on to a nimble figure behind you, covering your mouth with her dirty hand.

You could bite it, like some rabid animal, but then she is as quick to remove it and makes no sound as she asks you to be quiet...and begins to draw a finely wrought dagger.

You are being mugged. This thief has decided to come after you in the Mercy, most likely the fate of your companions too.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

"Nice try lady, you will not find me as easy to mug as others." the dwarf growls under his breath as he levels his shield and places his back to the wall, making it impossible for her to get behind him. With only one avenue of attack, the dwarf prepares for the coming assault in a full defensive posture waiting for his chance to strike with his hammer that was obscured by the shield he carried.

Spoiler: Edit
    Show

Total defense Action to boost his AC by 4 for a total of 27
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2020-01-19 at 06:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: As long as you have the strength of the Soul Forger...

No one will ever get the jump on you. Definitely not this petty thief dressed like some carnival clown as she draws a dagger and her eyes widen in fear as you speak and she is quick to shake her head, looking around as the building you place yourself against rumbles violently and in an explosion of debris, a lightning fast hand grabs you by the throat and effortlessly lifts you up from the ground by at least three feet.

With your windpipes starting to give in, you are shaken around violently and your helmet jostles around before you get a glimpse of your attacker:

A woman? But you didn't even sense her approaching as she shakes you a bit more and tilts her head sideways, taking a good look at you in your defenseless state.

Spoiler: The rolls
    Show
    Grapple & Initiative
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2020-01-19 at 06:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

A second one, what in the bloody hell is going on here." Einkil thinks to himself as he is lifted up into the air. Kicking his feet in vain as he tries to find some kind of purchase as the air is slowly being crushed out of him. Where the hell did this woman come from, and how was she lifting him so effortlessly, she looked like any other thief, no strength behind them all speed. Yet she was lifting him and all his gear up as if they were a toy.

Trying to direct his shield in her direction he fires off one of the spikes hoping to catch her off guard long enough for him to break free and make a run for it.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

The shield can shoot spikes and while not mechanically helpful it makes sense he would try something to get her to loosen her grip enough to get free.

Grapple Check (1d20+12)[27]
    Init (1d20)[6]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: Who has strength like this?

Dressed in nothing but a tattered cloak, this woman has not only bypassed your senses, but lifted you off the ground like a newborn pup and is quite intent on crushing your neck right here and now as you grit your teeth and try to break free, but you might as well be trying to shove a mountain. Strength like the one this seemingly feeble woman has is unheard off. Only one thing you can do now.

Your lift your shield right in her face as a swarm of stone projectiles fly towards her. This should give her reason to...

In an impossible feat, the woman uses her other free hand and time seems to slow down for everyone as she simply swats the spines away with the back of her hand, causing them to regain speed and embed themselves on the alley.

And then, she bashes your body thrice against the wall, never letting go of your neck, as every last bone on your body cries in agony and the building shakes and crumbles after each bashing, leaving dwarf sized holes on the wall.

The first thief dashes towards her and manages to avoid the woman's hand as she sticks her dagger into the arm holding you, causing your body to drop like a bag of rocks on the floor.

The hooded figure doesn't even seem to bleed, as she looks at the dagger dig deep into her arm with more curiosity than anger before the blonde thief looks up at the buildings and you watch several figures descend on crude ropes further down the alley and the woman begins barking orders.

"Grab the case!

Secure an escape!

Davorin, light them up!"

A gruff voice can be heard from one of the buildings above:

Aye! Careful down there!

The hooded figure turns her gaze at the men who have descended while the blonde thief looks at you.

"Run, dwarf... RUN!"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

What in the name of the six is going on here! Einkil thinks to himself as he prays to the six Dwarven gods to see him through this. No wonder that man had tried to build a wall for this place, it was a bunch of murders who had powers well beyond comprehension. He thinks as the shards slow down and his few thoughts of being able to get free of these two muggers begins to leave him. Is this the fate his men befell, mugged on their way to gather the parts he had asked for?

It is after those thoughts anything but pain leaves his mind as he is slammed over and over again into the building he had been using as cover. Then he was on the floor, what was going on? A dagger was in one woman's arm and she wasn't even bleeding and the first mugger was telling him to run and talking to other people. None of this made any sense, however at this point he didn't think it would matter if it did or didn't. Survival the only thing on his mind the dwarf did the only thing his mind could think of at the moment and ran as fast and as far away as his broken and beaten body would allow.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: Everything happened so fast...

Barely able to speak by that woman's hold on your throat and seconds later being slammed repeatedly against a building like a rag doll. You are a strong dwarf- maybe not as strong as those in your company- but definitely stronger than your average mystic. And even for you, lifting someone wearing as much stone and metal would be a feat worthy for the record books.

Who knows what the other people are doing further down the alley or what the blonde woman is saying, but one thing is clear to you: run.

With a loud grunt, you get up as the hooded woman turns her back to you and the thief and begins walking towards the other men, being lead to the middle of the alley and don't even think twice as you head the opposite way.

The smell of smoke fills your nostrils as the rain keeps pounding on your broken body and beside you, the woman breathes heavily as she goes into a sprint, looking back at the alley as this one first lets off a bright light, followed by a tremendous din and then...

A tremendous explosion knocks both of you several feet away and break through an old wall as you crash through several pieces of rotten furniture as the woman does her best to barrel roll, but she too skids on the ground and crashes against an old filthy bed as copious amounts of dust cause both to cough uncontrollably before the wind outside drives it away.

The woman grits her teeth as she gets up and leans against the wall, holding her arm which has been dislocated and tugs at it with force, causing tears to roll down her cheeks, followed by some very loud expletives, but once she's done cursing, she limps towards you and offers her hand for you to get up.

"Could've been worse. Who are you and why the hell are you here? You could've been killed!"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh by Moradin who let these people have explosives?" Einkil says as he first sees the bright light and begins to try and run faster, looking for some sort of cover to hide behind. However by the time he finds something it is already to late as the shock wave from the explosion sends him flying forward and he once more goes flying through a wall.

Coughing up dust Einkil looks around himself, to the rotten furniture all around in the building to the woman who he quite frankly didn't know how to take. Was she trying to mug him, save him, kill him? Honestly he wasn't even sure if she knew after that explosion as he slowly makes his way to his feet, trying his best to hide his aching body and the pain from his three broken ribs.

"Who am I, I could ask you the same thing, going around waving daggers at people." Einkil says looking a bird with its feathers all ruffled up. "From the looks of it you were trying to kill me, if you wanted me to be quite maybe you shouldn't have pulled out the dagger." he says as a sharp pain goes through his left shoulder and he grunts in pain. "Honestly I don't know whether to thank you or curse you." he admits honestly. "The name is Einkil Durthane however, and yours?" he asks, hoping for at least a momentary parlay with his would be mugger as they were both badly wounded.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: The last thing you thought this morning was how to avoid an explosion and prior to that, how not to be choked to death by some super woman.

Your body badly broken, you ignore the woman’s help and can feel your broken ribs jagging against each other due to your dwarven pride.

And then the woman sits on the broken bed and retrieves a small round stone as she addresses your words.

“Waving daggers... what? Seriously?! I know dwarves and they aren’t as dense. I wasn’t waving the dagger at you, moron. I was ready to strike the enemy when you stumbled in with that pile of rocks on you, as subtle and nimble as a drunken bear at a glass factory.

Also, I lost my dagger when I stuck her hand. Hand that was holding you by the neck? You might remember? The whole you going blue due to lack of oxygen? Yeah...”

The woman sits on the edge of the bed and winces due to her battered body.

“At least she’s down. Nobody survives a damn building dropped on you, last I checked. And no, you paranoid clumsy turtle: I’m not a mugger.

Name’s Sedge. I’m guessing you’re new here? I would have to say a hard yes on that one.”

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Einkil listens to the woman's words and agrees she did help save him and in the process lose her dagger. "If the city was how it was a few years ago I would say I will craft you a new one, just tell me what it used to do. However resources have become scare since the King's Campaign." the dwarf says, showing he was not oblivious to the kindness she had done for her by saving him and would give her a new dagger if he had the resources.

"Yes I am new here Sedge, looking for my kin. Everything we hear on the other side is that only murder's and muggers live here so when you pulled out the dagger on me how was I supposed to know you were going for the other one?" he asks, after all he had never been to the Mercy and only knew what he had seen from his point of view. "As for the building...I really hope that did the trick otherwise I do not want to be in this place anymore." he says with a shudder at the thought of that woman getting back up and crawling out of the debris.

"So if your not a mugger, who was that person, and who were those people with you? I heard gangs rule the Mercy, and from the sounds you were calling the shots there." he say, not offensively, merely pointing out what he had observed thus far.

Looking to her wounds he pulls out his holy symbol and shows it to her. "Are there any sanctioned magic places on this side of the wall? If so I can tend to your wounds. Least I can do for the confusion and you saving me back there saying at the moment I cannot replace your dagger."
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2020-01-19 at 11:52 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: Sedge looks out the hole both burst through and a few blocks towards the ruins that used to be the building that collapsed on that woman.

"You're a smith? I knew one here. A good one too. Not a dwarf. Just as stubborn, though. I think that trick actually worked. I would not want that thing coming after us. I don't think it survived the collapse. For now... we are safe.

And did you mention the King's Campaign? That's still a thing beyond the wall? And they say the thieves are all here. Comedy gold. As for what my dagger can do, hmmm. Let's see:

It can cut. Yeah, that's what daggers do. A slash or even a thrust, depending on how you handle the blade. Crazy, am I right?"

Sedge walks out the ruined door of the apartment both fell through and the door knob gets stuck in her hand, causing the rogue to kick the old wooden door out as she limps a bit under the rain.

"They aren't wrong, you know? Thieves and muggers. You'll find those here. Difference is that those we can tell apart with ease in The Mercy. They don't hide behind a badge or holy symbol. As for your kin...

You have my sympathies. We have all lost someone in this place. Welcome to the club, I suppose. As for what was I doing there and that person? Well, it's complicated, but the short version is that we're trying to stop the smuggling of, well... something in here. I can only hope the others got it before the explosion. That woman with the hood. I do not know her name, but I know she is related to a lot of bad stuff happening here for quite some time.

She doesn't seem like a warlord or a thief. Something far worse. Far more dangerous. Reason why I chose to use explosives. And I called the shots because I came up with the plan, dwarf. I don't run a guild or brotherhood or syndicate. I work alone... except when I need more people for the job.

Those I had helping me with are from the Fraternal Order of Cobblers. They deal with smuggling and contraband, so this job was right up their alley.

So as you can see, it pays off to know people in a place like this."

It doesn't take long for a group of hooded brigands to hail Sedge via whistling as she limps a few feet towards them and then laughs at your offer.

"You really are new here, aren't you? The Mercy is off grounds to Connor and his laws. If anything, one could say there's too much magic. Take that as a blessing or a curse."

The woman instinctively reaches for her dagger, only to realize it isn't with her anymore as you show her the holy symbol.

"Oh boy. You are going to be picked clean out here. Einkil, was it? Walk with us. I'll take you somewhere safe. Also, if you are going to stay here, travel light. Because all that you're wearing? Might as well have a sign that says "Please Rob Me".
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2020-01-20 at 12:27 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Remiel listened carefully. From time to time he drank his coffee - and it tasted good! By the time Nana had finished her story, his cup was empty, too.

"What a tragedy! A place that would help end the misery here, break the vicious circle --- wait! Suppose that was exactly the plan! To destroy the school so you can't get an education, and no education means more violence, theft and so on. You know what I'm getting at? Keeping you small makes others bigger, justifies the wall, allows the use of Eye in the Sky..."

It was only a hunch, but here he could pronounce it. At home, it was impossible. There were eyes and ears everywhere.

"I have two more questions: first, do you know where Calliope went after the incident and second, how dangerous is it out here on the streets? What I've heard - and which, as we know, is not always true - is that people are attacked here almost constantly; that the only language spoken outside is that of violence. Is that true?"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

"That's more like it!" Laura grins as Remiel takes her hand at last.

"um, would you like something to drink?“

"Frequently, but I'm sorted for now," she winks cheekily, raising the cup she'd been given by Nana. Whatever the coffee tastes like, Laura gives every indication she's enjoying it as she listens to Nana's tale of the House of Knowledge and how it all went wrong. She trusts this is an back note to the situation shell be dealing with here in the Mercy whilst looking for Clarity.

"So are there any leads on where we might start looking for Calliope?" Laura asks, already having mentally teamed herself up with Remiel and backing up his question.

"As you arrived Nana was telling me about a farmhouse where I might find some associates of Clarity," she explains to Remiel.

"Apparently it's a fair distance from here, but it's a solid lead. If Nana knows anything about your misper we could check it out on the way? I think we've inconvenienced her long enough this close to opening time." She smiles warmly at the old gnome, truly grateful for her help.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-01-20 at 10:33 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

@Remiel: Nana nods at your words and begins wiping the counter clean.

"Tragedy is an understatement. We are still feeling the repercussions from that fated day. I like your theory, boy. And you're right: can't say that past the wall. Truth be told, Connor wanted his damn wall done way before the incident and did not finish it only because other church heads stepped in. This incident just gave him reason to reinforce the entrance. You may have seen the tents coming in? That's where they 'sanitize' people who try to leave. Whatever that may mean.

As for those damn Eyes? Bastard had them pop out of nowhere almost immediately after he got the steward job. Who builds things like that in such short notice?"

The gnome wench puts her hands together and looks thoughtfully at the ceiling, trying to remember anything regarding your questions.

"Calliope became a wandering priestess. I guess it's tied to her faith. I heard she was offering free services to those in need in the Mercy after the attack on the House of Knowledge. Her travels must've taken her far and wide in the district, since she never came back here again.

As for how dangerous is it here? Not going to lie: very. But if that were the case, there wouldn't be people left and everyone would be dead. No, there are people here who actually serve as 'police', if you will. Vigilante groups who don't want to thieve you for your coin and cut your life short. Some actually help me here. I have a few patrons whom I know can't fend for themselves, so these men and women gladly escort them to their homes at night, just to be safe.

Other than that, there's signs. Some groups paint signs on walls. These indicate the beginning and ending of their turf locales. Know how to find them and you can hopefully walk around the area. No need to get into trouble... more trouble."

Nana looks at both you and Laura and leans closer.

"There are two places though, were you shouldn't go. Where no amount of vigilantes will make a difference. Commit this information to heart and mind:

Camazotz' Den. If you see large swaths of green? Trees that have overgrown and broken buildings? Turn back immediately. Thankfully, that place is very far away, so it shouldn't be an issue. But best be warned.

And the second is the sewers. Those are far more immediate because there are manholes scattered around The Mercy. Whatever you do- if you appreciate your life as it is now- never venture down into the sewers because...""

It is then that people begin coming in as nana waves at them and looks at both of you.

"Well, story time is over kids. Welcome to the Mercy and all that jazz. Hope you find what you're looking for...

And not the other way around.""

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Nana, thank you! Hadn't expected such a warm welcome here in Mercy.

And Laura, since you have a precise spot where to search for Clarity, do you mind if I come with you? Do you know where to go? Do you have a map? Nana, do you have a map?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

@Remiel: Nana smiles and keeps waving at the hungry and thirsty patrons who are quick to grab a chair and take out either a deck of cards or a bag of dice.

“You won’t find everyone here as warm and welcoming, Remiel. Keep your wits about you and you should be fine.

There used to be maps for Hope’s Caress- that’s the name this place had before the Fire. Now everyone calls it The Mercy.

Over time, the streets and plazas and well known landmarks have eroded through time or been vandalized enough. Besides, I don’t have a map, but I know of someone that may get you there. A fine sort that answers to money and booze. Lately less of one and more of the other.

He should be here later throughout the day. If you don’t wish to wait, leave the Coffee and take a left. Keep walking until you reach a plaza with broken statue of a man on horseback.

From there, take a flight if stairs down and you’ll be near St. George’s Bridge...“

Nana pauses as she walks around the bar to greet the patrons.

“Sorry to make it confusing, but that place isn’t close. Worse comes that you get lost, ask around for the Vargas Farm. Most people know of it, but be ready for a long trek.”

18. - Top - End - #78
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Do I have a writ of excecution signed by a higher authority? No I do not. As I stated, I'm here acting under my general orders, and on my own authority. If you would prefer I draw my own conclusions without your input, that is fine with me.
    I shan't stand further in the way of your duties, and I don't require escort beyond the wall, and would not have asked for it from you had I!!
    This last is said with a bit of wounded shock, as though Davish is some babe in swaddling clothes that needs a sitter.

With a mental note that there surely must be something going on if there's even this much of a cover up about it, Davish nod's respectfully to the Sergeant one final time, I bid you good day sir. Walking further in the direction he was headed before being stopped, again, Davish once again sets out to see and hear what there is to see and hear. This time with an inkling of suspicion in his motives.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

apologies for the delay, i work the first half of the week, 12 hr days, and it's been a hectic week already..
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: How dare they get in your way?

By sheer strength alone, you would outrank this sergeant, but Andlas simply looks at you and then at the Cuthbertine carriage behind you.

“I have my orders, marshal. If you wish to contest or overwrite them, go through the proper channels. Again, if you wish to access the area beyond the wall, you can. But that’s all we can do to assist. By orders of His Holiness.”

He will let you through, just not look around. Ask questions, which is what you wanted.

And as you get ready to do just that, a pain is felt in the back of your head. A mental strike against your brain as the voice of Dalpinian himself rings painfully clear in your mind, using the powers reserved for priests of his stature:

Battleborn! Report to the Palace of Justice immediately! And bring the carriage with you. At once!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Had my home game last night so wasn't able to post between that and work

Agreeing that for the moment the two were safe Einkil began to lower his guard only slightly, he was still in an unfamiliar place, and had almost died not even an hour in. "Why would it not be a thing? Your king is missing, should we not fund such an expedition? If it was my own king my entire people would be on a war path to get to him." Einkil says finding it surprising humans did not have the same sort of mentality. Whatever it took to keep your king alive and bring him back, that was what was important. Wealth could always be earned again, but a king without an heir would throw an entire nation into chaos.

"So none magical then...If I find the materials I will craft one for you as payment for the one you lost then." Einkil says as if it is that simple before he realizes a very big flaw in his plan. "How would I bring it to you however? I am unfamiliar with this place, and rather not chance dying again." he states very clear he is willing to repay his debt, but not die for it.

For the rest of the time he listens to all he is told, soaking in the information from a local, and accepting her concordances for his loss. "I planned on coming here with far less then this honestly, however had nowhere to store it that I knew it would be safe. And given those I traveled with had our magical bag of holding I had to carry it the old fashioned way." Einkil admits agreeing that walking around as he was did paint a target on his back for thieves, however at the moment he had no way to change that. So when the offer to walk with her to someplace safe is given he nods in acceptance. "The strongest bonds are forged in war, and the tools of war are made by fire." he says, in his own way saying he trusted her for now given they had in a manner of speaking shared a battle together, even if it was mostly fleeing on his part.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: Sedge wipes the rain from her eyes as she descends a small slope of debris to meet the group and looks up at you, expecting your stocky body to roll down unceremoniously.

"You are new, but not only to The Mercy.

This place. It has been like this for years, even before Connor. Sure, we were able to move back and forth freely with the City, but what you see didn't happen during the King's absence. Should he be brought back? I guess so. Never met the guy, so why should I loosen my purse for an unknown? That being said, I hear he was a nice guy. Better than the one currently on the throne. You know? I try not to get involved in politics over there.

Hard to keep my mind wrapped around what happens there when I have more immediate concerns like getting stabbed here. Also, I heard there was an expedition. Just that Connor shut it down, so...""

Sedge simply shrugs at the notion of getting the rightful ruler back. Humans and their short lives. Maybe it twists their perspective for the long run. Hell, you'd have a million forges blazing should your king go missing. Make the entire world tremble under the weight of stone and metal as banners of war marched across the globe the moment the stone throne was empty and devoid of a real crown.

The woman raises an eyebrow as you mention repaying her actions by making a dagger.

"Wait, that was no bluff? You are a smith? Well, of course it was no bluff... I thought it was just some badly set up ruse, with the look and walk and talk. Hmm.. I think it might've been magical? As to where can you find me?""

Sedge's lithe frame looms over you as she leans over you and squints her eyes, locking them with yours.

"You won't find me. I'll find you...""

The woman keeps a straight serious face for about five seconds and then smiles devilishly and gives you a wink as she she continues walking by your side, leading you to her small patrol of scoundrels.

"A magical bag of holding to travel with... wow! Okay, a quick lesson if you are going to spend time in The Mercy for awhile:

Avoid talking like that. Because if someone heard you say those words, you'll get cut, coin or not""

Once with the group of hooded hooligans, Sedge speaks to them in a language you have never heard before. Sounds like the Common tongue, but altered. A variant of it. Some words you might make out, but they speak it so fast, you might as well be in another country altogether. Which incidentally, you are.

The fact that you are unaware of what is being spoken may or may not go unnoticed by Sedge and her friends, but they do not excuse themselves for it before the group stops in front of a semi clean establishment. An inn of sorts which, despite the hour and rain, has a few dirty patrons flocking in.

Sedge points at the place and places her hand on your stony clad shoulder.

"That's the Bitter Coffee, safest place an outsider like you will find here. Mention my name to Nana Rose, the owner, and you'll be fine.""

Sedge looks at you as the rain falls upon both and places her hands in her pocket as she begins to walk away.

"if the strongest bonds are forged in war, Einkil. You're about to make a bunch of friends in this place. Good luck finding your kin, dwarf...""

And having said that, sedge walks out of sight amidst the ever pouring rain.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2020-01-22 at 01:57 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

A shock like lightning courses through his veins, and with a rapid about face, fit for any parade ground, Davish is running back towards the carriage.

Driver, ROUST!!

I've been summoned back to the Palace of Justice! Move your hindquarters man, the High Inquisitor waits for no one!!!
    Leaping into the front seat a half a heartbeat behind the driver, Davish nearly grabs the reins himself. Run them the whole way if they'll survive it driver. We'll not have an escort, but any who stand in our way will feel Nirvana's Kiss! Without even a single backwards glance at SGT Andlas still standing in the rain, Davish let's sound a mighty yell.

MAKE WAY, MAKE WAY, OR BE TRAMPLED BENEATH ME!!!
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: Rarely do priests or anyone with a modicum of mystic flair gets ahold of you.

Unheard of is for Halmathan’s Sword of Justice to reach you directly. He does not sound happy, that much is clear.

Sergeant Andlas watches you rush to the carriage as the coachman, nervous and quite frightened, jumbles opening the door before you jump on the coach man’s seat and whip the horses into action.

The last thing you see is the good sergeant walking back inside the mess of tents before turning to look at you.

But no time to ponder on that as the horses trample along, causing the carriage to nearly keel over as the prayers from the coachman inside can be heard as he’s jostled around, unaware of what exactly is going on.

Nirvana held high with one hand. Reins pulled tightly with another, you ride across the City of Power, a madman possessed as threats are spewed, horses neigh uncontrollably and pedestrians and vehicles alike either dart out of the way or skid through the soaked streets.

Pretty sure you heard some cars crash behind you... but no time!

No time indeed. By your count, under an hour. Not bad, but the horses are nearly dead as the poor coachman stumbles out of the carriage and spews his entire breakfast on the hallowed steps of the Palace of Justice, much to the disgust of the guards as one is quick to hand him a mop.

The others have no time for pleasantries as they escort you at a hustle towards Dalpinian’s chambers and another group of guards ask you to remove your weapons and any trinkets of power before being allowed inside.

Dalpinian, surrounded by his contingent of Royal Guards, raises his hand for you to stop fifty paces away from him, just like before.

Unlike last time, he isn’t looking absentmindedly at his notes or sipping coffee:

His attention is directly focused on you.

“Mister Battleborn... is this hallowed institution a joke to you? Do you believe you can take City property for a joy ride on a whim?

What were you told at the Castello, Mister Battleborn?”

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Laura smacks her lips happily as she finishes her coffee, placing the cup carefully back on the counter.

"I'd be happy to have the company," she replies to Remiel. "And with Nana's guidance we should be able to find the place ourselves. I promise I'll help you find Calliope as the opportunity arises."

"Thank you for your hospitality," she addresses Nana as she gets up to leave. "I'll be sure to come back when I get the chance."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

@Laura: The coffee tastes just as advertised.

A much needed jolt if you’re going to be trekking through The Mercy without a guide. Nana gave you the most basic of directions. Landmarks. Names... but no map.

Nana waves good bye to both as the patrons flock at the tables.

“A pleasure, child. Come back anytime and don’t forget what I told you. Take care you two!

And good luck...”

Ideally, you should be back at tjis spot a little after noon.

@Remiel & Laura: The moment you leave the Bitter Coffee, you are drenched.

Of course you are. Damn rain hasn’t subsided. Hopefully you can traverse the Mercy easily enough given Nana’s directions...

And then you spot someone who definitely doesn’t fit in this place:

It’s a dwarf, that much is clear. But he looks like the poster child for dwarves all over. Hell, even his armor seems made if special stone, same fir his Hammer, which carries an unsettling carved face... if you look well enough.

Despite the guy looking like a tank, though. He looks like he’s been through the grinder.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2020-01-22 at 07:20 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

"How can an expedition to go save ones king be shut down by a city steward while they ask for coin to fund an expedition to save the king? the dwarf says very much confused by what she had said, it had to be a misunderstanding of her not knowing politics or some sort as a Steward should not have the power to stop a search for the true king as far as he was aware. "Without a king on the throne the Steward and thus his line would rule until an heir to the throne was found with legitimate claims. Think of it this way, the king never did anything for the Mercy that you are aware of, however he also never did anything to hamper it either as the tents and such seem to be. If the king is gone to long what is to stop more changes happening to the Mercy and it's people?" the dwarf asks, trying to put it into perspective that she may understand, though given how she said she stayed out of politics it may be lost altogether upon her.

As the eccentric human woman says she would find him instead of him finding her when her dagger was ready he simply nods. No point in arguing when he couldn't really find his way around this place anyways. It was a lot easier for her no doubt to hear word about him walking around the ruins then it was for him to find her if she didn't want to be found.

"Is everyone here as strong as that last woman we meet? The one you dropped a building on?" Einkil asks as she warns him about talking about magical items, or for that matter anything that might cost a bit of money. "The hammer and stuff isn't just for show after all, just...well that was a very difficult situation. I'm used to fighting in formation with other soldiers not one on one and such when the enemy has overwhelming strength. And I have fought giants before, so that woman was something else."

As the group walk and talk he notices they seem to be speaking in a language he doesn't understand, just when he thinks it may be common they would say something that made no sense in any form of sentence. Humans and all their fancy ways of saying the bloody same thing, am I right? he says in Terran to his hammer, not expecting a response, but simply being polite given the circumstances. So when the group arrives at the semi clean establishment it takes him a few minutes to realize Sedge was speaking to him again. "Right, Bitter Coffee, Nana Rose, and its safe for newcomers like me. Good to know, if I were to head back to the wall where would I go? After all I do not plan on staying past nightfall in an unfamiliar place where I do not understand the rules." he admits to Sedge so she knew he would not be sleeping in this district until he felt safe someplace.

As Sedge begins to walk away the dwarf calls out "And may the stone always rise up to meet your feet." before he begins heading into the establishment. Trying to get past two more dirty looking Mercyfolk so he could get into the place. Who knows, maybe his kin had stopped off here along the way, and if not it would not be bad to try and commit this place to memory so he could travel here and use it as a starting point each day he came to the Mercy.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: Wait what?

So all the taxes to finance the King's rescue are used for... not rescuing the king? That doesn't make a lick of sense!

Sedge shrugs and limps a bit as she kicks a small pebble out of her way.

"That is a very good question, dwarf. I don't go to the City. I used to, a while back. But when Connor rose to power and unmade the Olidammaran church, I knew I'd be safer here. And that's not saying much. How does the King's Campaign work? No clue. If so curious you are, go ask the Steward himself. Not a visit I'd recommend, though.

I heard he absolutely hates my type...and yours. As for the future of this place? He may find it hard to establish his forces here. Hasn't tried since he rose to power, preferring to wall us out. Or in, depending on your point of view.""

Regarding the strength of that woman, Sedge shakes her head.

"There are some strong people in The Mercy. A few less now, after some skirmishes. But strength like the one she demonstrated I only know of one who came close.

Some warlord who took over a faction a few months ago. Called himself Brother Gram, loyal servant to The Queen. Mean and utterly crazy son of a bitch. He actually declared war on the Mercy and would have made it his own, had we all not banded together against him. Those who took the fight directly to him spoke of how he lifted a building and threw it on them, killing several in the process.

The fact that he had access to old Halmathan war machines didn't make our job any easier. Thankfully, we persevered. Somehow. So, I used that same tactic against that crazy woman from the alley. I know she has been doing sinister stuff around The Mercy and has shown strength like that Gram guy. So, I gave it a go and trapped her under a building.

I doubt she survived that, so we should be fine. Not that my job is done here anyways, but that's my own to see through.""

On the matters of fighting, Sedge gives you a pained chuckle.

"Formation? Like those little tin soldiers kids play with? That may work over there, past the wall. Here, standing in formation is asking to die horribly when some mad wizard decides to blow you up in a group. Subterfuge and stealth is how we fight here, Einkil. Not everyone is good at it. But that's why The Mercy has a ton of buildings to hide in while the fight wages outside... unless we drop it with explosives... but that's a first. Don't take it as the norm here."

Once you can see the semi clean building, The Bitter Coffee, Sedge looks up at the grey skies as her face becomes drenched and then at you.

"Getting in here is easy, dwarf. They will let you in, that much I know. Just a simple question at the door and in you come.

Leaving The Mercy, though? That's a different story altogether. The one those bastards in the tents don't say. They are convinced we are all sick. If you try getting back to the City, expect a bunch of tests? I think those who have made it through and back mentioned that. They didn't go into detail as to what, but lately, less and less people leave The Mercy. So who knows, you might be stuck here awhile.

I didn't make that rule. So don't look at me like that, dwarf."

Sedge looks at your battered body and then at the Bitter Coffee.

"You know, had you not stalled her by being her choke toy for a few seconds, perhaps we wouldn't have had time to set the explosives and trap her. So consider your debt to me paid, dwarf.

I am sure I can find a dagger sooner or later..""

Sedge takes a few steps forward and nearly collapses, were it not for one of the brigands holding her as she nods in appreciation to him and turns around, doing an overly courteous bow.

"And may Trithereon watch over you, dwarf. Good luck. And be safe.""

Crazy woman with her crazy talk. But all things considered, it could be worse. You could be dead in an alley, with no one to mourn you, like Sir Randolph mentioned back at the Temple of the Archpaladin.

Barely glancing at the dirty hippie and another woman mugger with an axe, you make your way inside the establishment, as your nose catches the scent of strong coffee and an extremely old wrinkled hairy gnome bar wench who serves a glass of who knows what to a patron and smiles wide at you, waving her chubby wrinkled hand.

"Bunch of new faces here today. What happened to you? Decided to lay down in traffic?"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm acting on behalf of me own country Sedge, going up and asking such questions would no doubt only cause worse problems as a foreign power is questioning what they are doing. Best to leave it to those who are politicians that are natives from Hamalthan. It will look less...insulting that way I believe." Einkil says not wishing to visit the steward of this city. The man had to have gotten the job for a reason after all, best not to ask him questions that would take to long to explain to him, an outsider to this land.

"I don't believe I follow Sedge, he doesn't like your type or mine? Humans and Dwarves, seems a bit of an odd thing not to like. Also sounds more racist then a dwarven council with an elf in the room." he says before laughing at his own joke. "Why go into an enemies stronghold and give them something to unite behind when you can instead lay siege to them and allow them to fight among themselves for the few resources available to them. It's a common warfare tactic, no doubt he is simply waiting until anything he might consider enough of a threat to be gone before sending his own men in. After all as far as I know there are no maps of the Mercy and the people here know how to best use their surroundings to their advantage. If it is a bunch of muggers and murderers it would be foolish to send an army in for a gurrelia warfare battle." Einkil explains to Sedge, having learned tactics about war, though in his case against orcs and goblins, while in church.

Listening about others in the Mercy who had shown this type of power he is not surprised to hear that the old machines of war he was looking for had been used by a group in the Mercy, just as the Roaring bear had said they no doubt would be. It did tell him a few things though, this Gram person had to find the machine somewhere, and it either still worked or someone in the Mercy knew how to make it work. "You say this Gram had an old war machine, I thought they no longer worked. Do you know where he found it or where one could find others?"
    he asks, his stony face showing more emotion then he no doubt intended. "Also about how long ago was this, my kin came to the Mercy about a month ago, did this battle take place around then?" he asks, hoping the answer was no but having to be sure.

Spoiler: Bluff
    Show
    Trying to hide how excited he is to hear the news about the machines as its his first solid lead (1d20)[10]

"So I have to worry about being mugged and crazy mages? Here I thought it all I had to worry about was petty criminals, from what your telling me those to crazy to function inside the city with magical abilities came here to a new playground with no rules." it is very clear Einkil is very worried about this, it was not a crime to have magic in his eyes, however it had to be tended to properly it was very easy to begin using magic to simply get what you wanted and blowing up anything that got in your way of doing just that. "At least no falling buildings, so if I die its from a crazy person. Bright side I'll no doubt see the person who killed me before I die." the dwarf says very uneasy about this.

"Wait what do you mean they may not let me leave? Where am I supposed to stay?" Einkil says borderline panicking now. He knew things would be bad in the Mercy, after all the law didn't come to these parts of town. Then he had almost been killed by a woman with the strength of a giant at the least. Now he couldn't even leave the Mercy to go and sleep in the safety of the city, where would he find a place to sleep safely here where he knew no one and next to nothing besides the place was run by what seemed like a bunch of anarchist. "You keep telling yourself that Sedge, I owe you a debt and it will be payed. Now go get that looked at and be safe. After all if you die who's to make sure I don't?" he says trying to make her laugh before they go their separate ways.

"You could say I ran into a building a few times." Einkil says honestly taking a seat at the bar. "Sedge told me to ask for a Nana Rose, said because I was new here I should at least learn the ropes." he says taking off one of his gauntlets to shake the old gnomes hand. "The name is Einkil, Einkil Durthane by the way." he offers kindly, keeping an eye on his hammer strapped to his side to make sure it didn't vanish.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: Sedge smiles smugly and raises an eyebrow at your comment.

"Common sense isn't lost on you, dwarf. I have heard of some people who have gone to do just that at The Palace of Justice...

I don't think it went well for them. As for the fact he doesn't like us. It's not that he doesn't like humans Einkil. Last I checked, he is one himself. Connor hates those who follow a code other than his own and that of his church. People who don't adhere to his ridiculous and oppressive laws. Those who question him. As for dwarves... a racist? Most likely. I don't know much about the guy other than that he is very much disliked in both sides of the wall. Difference is that those here can be a lot more vocal without fear of repercussion.""

When talk shifts back to those with superior strength and more importantly, the war machines he used to try and subjugate The Mercy, Sedge squints her eyes and and smiles as you try and put on your best poker face.

Spoiler: Sedge's Sense Motive
    Show
    (1d20+16)[25]

"Some old factory that used to make them years ago, before the Great Fire. But good luck finding any- we turned them into scrap and smelted them when the war was won. Those things cannot bleed, but they sure could bleed us. We already have to fend against our fellow man. Do we really need mad machines running rampant? As for your kin... no. Given what you told me, they would've come in after the attack. A fair amount of time after. So that wouldn't be the reason for them missing.""

When talk goes to muggers and magic, Sedge nods.

"Why, yes. Connor put a giant ban on Magic across the wall. I am sure some bowed their heads and remain quiet. But not everyone. This is Halmathan's biggest district. No Eyes to watch over it or the City Guard to comb street by street. This is the perfect refuge for any practitioner of the 'forbidden arts' to make it their home. Some are actually okay people. Others are hermits, who wish to remain isolated.

A few others though... they can be a problem. Rogues, which make the majority of The Mercy, can rarely stand up to a mage. especially if this one is powerful. So small mage lead gangs spring up from time to time. And why the worried face? Aren't you a priest or something? I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure priests can wreck mages any time of the day. Or so I've been told.

As for where to stay for the night?""

Sedge points her finger at an old building and then circles around, pointing at everyone you can see amidst the falling rain.

"They are all free. They are old, and somewhat broken. Scorched since the Fire, but you'd be surprised how sturdy they are. Granted, you may have to share one of the rooms with squatters, but if your legs carry you fast enough, you can find a room and, if you're lucky, barricade it with any furniture that may have been left behind and you shouldn't even be noticed. In that regards, it beats staying at an inn- it's free."

Once at the entrance to The Bitter Coffee, Sedge gives you an approving look and walks away. Everything that had to be said, was said already.

And when you leave the pouring streets and sit at the bar, your armor dipping all over the wooden floor, the old gnome cleans a glass with a dirty rag and listens to what you have to say, smiling kindly.

"I am Nana Rose, proprietor of the Bitter Coffee. That's a very dwarven name you got, Einkil. And you say Sedge sent you? The Mercy Diplomat. A new face and you want to learn the ropes...

Which ropes in particular, Durthane?"
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2020-01-23 at 02:13 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

"Wow, that guy looks like he's been hit by a car," Laura comments to Remiel once they're standing out in the street again. Once again she doesn't raise her hood against the rain, even sticking her tongue out to catch a few drops.

"So Nana said to take a left and keep going until we find the man on horseback. Avoid the sewers, doors marked with red, and anywhere overgrown with an abundance of green. Should be easy enough!"

Laura pauses uncertainly, weighing up whether to let Remiel in on her secret before they have to start depending on each other. In the end prudence wins out.

"By the way if you see any signs that say anything important, such as Keep Out! Domain of Angharrad The Despoiler! or Caution! Razor-Jays! do me a favour and let me know?" she says quietly. "I'm not so good with the reading."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-01-23 at 10:20 AM.