New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Chronicles of A Twisted Ascension IC

"I knew it! Remiel you fool! How could you blindly walk into a trap like that?
    No matter. Make the best of it! The ugly ones or after the girl? Wait, what? Laura?"

While Remiel is still thinking about what to shapechange into and who to attack first, he notices Laura suddenly becoming slow and lethargic. No no no no, she must be fully there! He knows what has to be done, although he's still unsure why casting is so exhausting here.

He clamps his staff under his arm, rubs his hands together and speaks something in Druidic. Then he touches Laura on her forehead to give her back her freedom of movement.

Then he positions himself in fighting posture, ready to repel the enemies.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting Freedom of movement on Laura. Not hampered for 90 minutes. (Standard action)
    As his move action, he takes back his staff in both hands.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: Drakan looks at his daggers, safely sheathed.

"It wasn't always a place of cutthroats and thieves, or so I am told. Used to be one of Halmathan's finest districts. Then there was a fire, and it all went to hell. Are there cutthroats and muggers here? Of course. But don't be fooled into believing that the only crooks are on this side of the wall. There are many ways to visit pain and suffering- a shiv to the ribs is nothing compared to what I have seen from 'the clean side of the road'.

So you're a smith, I know. You mentioned it before. It's just that with all that armor on, you come off as a soldier yourself. In my experience, an enemy is always strong. Not always old, though. I doubt you will face a worthy foe here. Not that I would recommend it. Just find your missing friends and get out of this place.""

When matters of the disease come into the conversation, your guide keeps walking as the rain does not seem to give pause in the slightest.

"Like I said, Einkil: no cure. I mean, there is early prevention. If you know to look for the symptoms and there's a healer nearby who knows about this. Problem is:

The Mercy doesn't have an abundance of healers. This place is huge and although there are factions, not everyone wants to share their life story with others. When this disease struck and people realized how bad it was, they resorted to the quickest method.""

Drakan takes out his arm and with his other, does a mock chop move.

"Imagine going to see the doctor because you have a cold and then you're beheaded... just in case? Yeah, you wouldn't want to go see a doctor then, would you? Some believe the sick are best sealed off. That like a cold, it will go away.

It doesn't. Those who contact this disease. They don't become delirious, Einkil:

They die. And then they get up and start killing. So yeah, that's our problem. That's the disease. I have seen some cases. One I know was actually saved, but only because it was the right conditions. A bite or scratch is all it takes. Not everyone knows of it. Many carry on after being attacked and shrug it off as some crazy person. Then they are gone.

When they are seen again, they aren't the same person they were before. In the Mercy, it's very easy to hunker down and go unnoticed if you want to. So take that as yet another warning from your illustrious guide.""

After a few blocks, Drakan points at a rough patch of land, less than a hundred feet around a dilapidated squat house with a smoke spewing chimney can be seen no more than a few hundred feet away. The patch of land has a few crops, but these don't look ripe or even edible, given the tremendous amounts of pollution around it.

A shape can be seen resting on the rooftop of the house, but hard to tell what it is from a distance as Drakan points at it.

"The Vargas Farm. That's where you wanted to go, right? Here we are. And now, my job is done. Einkil, be safe. I hope you find your friends...""

Drakan takes a look at you for a few seconds and nods.

"Yeah... I hope you do. Good luck. May Olidammara smile upon you, dwarf.""

And having said that, your guide walks away back through the soaked alleys of The Mercy, leaving you alone.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

@Remiel: Something in your gut told you this was a bad idea...

And yet you followed. And now your guts may end up spilled all over this damn place because of your folly.

The woman is seemingly gone. You will have a chance to deal with her later, but those Feral creatures are a very close threat. And although you could attack them now, Laura is not in top condition. Alone, you could probably take on these creatures, but you can only fight so many before they leap upon her...

You need Laura as fluid and as deadly as the day you saw her in Glenndale. And so, you approach the kordite and press your hand against her shoulder, bestowing upon her a most powerful mystic art. One that will allow her to move unimpeded. very useful when traveling through thick woods.

She is free of this place's strange hold, but bestowing this blessing upon her takes a toll on you.

Spoiler: Remiel's Spell
    Show
    (1d6+4)[10] damage

@Laura: Whatever happened to your body has quickly been removed by Remiel as you watch Cordelia disappear above.

That witch will get her due comeuppance. But right now, you best be on your guard as four of these creatures dash at you. First running on all fours, then leaping into the air and clawing or biting your flesh, whichever works best for them.

Spoiler: Feral Charge
    Show

(1d20+9)[27] if it hits, (2d6+8)[19] damage

(1d20+9)[17] if it hits, (2d6+8)[16] damage

(1d20+9)[28] if it hits, (2d6+8)[15] damage

(1d20+9)[26] if it hits, (2d6+8)[18] damage

@Remiel: The creatures watch Laura being swarmed as Cordelia's voice can be heard above.

A caster? Here? Oh, Remiel... how bad for you. Pin him!

The other four creatures run towards you, like with Laura, but their claws are outstretched as they pounce upon you, confident in their success.

Unlike with Laura, these things are attempting to hold you down and kill you at the same time!

Show

(1d20+9)[20] if it hits, (2d6+8)[14] damage plus improved grab (1d20+7)[18]

(1d20+9)[10] if it hits, (2d6+8)[16] damage plus improved grab (1d20+7)[19]

(1d20+9)[27] if it hits, (2d6+8)[13] damage plus improved grab (1d20+7)[25]

(1d20+9)[20] if it hits, (2d6+8)[20] damage plus improved grab (1d20+7)[11]

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Cordelia
    Remiel
    Pack x8
    Laura

4. - Top - End - #184
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

The hatch opens without the expected explosion, showing naught but a ladder descending to the area below. Slinging his shield back into place, Davish starts down the rungs. After only a few feet of travel, they give out and he finds himself plummeting to the ground below. Years of training kick in as his knees bend and his upper body begins contorting into a ball. Hitting the ground, Davish executes a perfect roll and comes up on his feet with a flourish. Finding himself in what looks like a basement office, he pokes around but finds nothing of apparent value beyond an old leather book. Pausing momentarily to read it, Davish then stuffs it into his haversack before setting out to see if he can somehow get out of this mess he's found himself in.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show

first off, we'll try a running jump to get back into the hatch and then climb up chimney style by bracing against the walls.

jump: (1d20+19)[34]
    climb: (1d20+7)[24]

if we can get into the chimney, but can't move vertically, i'll use a charge of the anklets of translocation to teleport 10ft up and out of the chimney, landing on the ground next to it, or as far away as possible.

if there isn't enough room to get a running start, i probably can't make the dc needed for a standing jump, and if that or the above fails, i'll try taking 20 to search the room for another exit

my search is crap, so that'd be a 22.

if neither of those work out, then it'll be on to plan c, depending on what happens.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: A trap door not booby trapped?

Well, not entirely. Be it by design or simply time, the rung ladder gives in as you climb down, but your training and quick reflexes have you land safely on the cellar floor, with rain pouring in from above, since the door was left open while pieces of the ladder noisily clank on the floor.

Whatever this book is, it will have to be read with more attention later as you focus now on how to escape this cellar. A running start might work. The trap door is high up, not that high that someone with your set of skills cannot reach it. Barring that, there are your anklets that...

And then dust falls on your face as heavy footsteps are heard above. Someone is approaching and has not bothered to make themselves hidden in any way before a rope ladder unfurls down the trap door and a strong male voice can be heard:

Climb up!

6. - Top - End - #186

DruidGuy

Never look a gift horse in the mouth his Da was fond of saying, but what exactly is a gift horse? No matter. Better to choose the battleground when given the opportunity.

With a final glance around this secluded spot, Davish quickly scales the rope ladder, climbing out to face his rescuer, or perhaps his opponent.
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: Why question Providence?

Maybe because this a scum filled slum, filled with murderers. Still, whoever that person is, they are helping you get out.

A better place to fight him should it be an opponent. Given what few people you have seen here, you could probably take on several at once. Enough to give these bottom feeders a reason or two to stay out of your way and extend their life a bit.

And so, you climb the rope ladder and as soon as your weight is on it, a tremendous strength begins pulling you up as the rain peppers your eyes and by sheer instinct, you perform an acrobatic away from your deceitful rescuer and take a look at him:

This is... unexpected.

The man is tall. Taller than you. Doesn’t dress in rags, but finely wrought armor. Unlike any you have seen here.

Two things apart from his height and proverbial strength stand out.

First is a wicked looking chain. You have seen these in battle, but this man’s seems different in design. The fact they are wrapped around his arms and deal no damage to him is noteworthy.

The same can be said for some minute motes of light around his head as the giant among men kneels and begins pulling back the rope ladder as the rain plunks off his armor.

“Why are you here? In this place... and down there?”

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

"Truth be told, it has been a long time since anyone came here. Of their own choice. My family will be overjoyed to have you here, make no mistake of that."

Wait, what?!

It all happens at once - the feeling of being almost stunned, Cordelia's betrayal, and the ferals leaping from the trees. Laura chokes back a curse. She feels her temper rising, but an icy chill stays her rage. This is not a good situation and she needs to keep her wits about her.

"How dare you Cordelia! We were trying to help you! And I would have regardless of whether you knew where the farm was! You think you can just take advantage?!"

Laura exhales slightly as Remiel's touch restores the lightness in her limbs. She smiles coldly as she flexes a bicep ready to receive the ferals' charge. Her uncanny reflexes fend allow her to fend off one of the beasts, but there are a lot of them and despite her efforts they get a few good hits in. Laura snarls at them, bearing her teeth and roaring from the bottom of her lungs.

"RRRRRWWAAAARRRRWW!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidating Roar
    Not an action: All within 30ft WILL DC22 or shaken for 11 rounds.

"BIG Mistake Cordelia! What happens now is I KILL your family and escape this pathetic trap! And later when I've found my friend made sure she's ok, I'm coming for you! You hear me?! I'm coming back FOR YOU!!"

With a click of her heels Laura vanishes, reappearing 10ft away outside the constraining circle towards the tunnel where they entered, adjacent to just one feral hemming Remiel in, her axe already swinging hard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action: Activate anklets of translocation. Teleport 10ft.
    Attack: (1d20+16)[24](-5PA)
    Damage: (1d12+20)[32](+10PA)

"Come on Remiel, time to go. Can you get out of there by yourself or do you need a hand?

Spoiler
    Show
    Tumble 5ft to not provoke AoO (assuming the feral survived). (1d20+12)[13]
    Move: 35ft towards tunnel entrance.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

@Laura: How could she do that...

It's only a mocking laughter from the shadows above as Cordelia listens to your threats.

Oh, but you have helped me, Laura! The pack needs to feed. And who am I to refuse two willing entrees such as yourself and Remiel? Hehehehehee... you think you can kill my family, girl?

You think you can get out of here?

You need to keep your temper down, despite the pain visited upon your body and so with a loud growl from your own vocal chords, many of these creatures feel your wrath as very real. Then, you strike one of the creatures next to you and activate your anklets, enveloped in blue light as you swoosh back ten feet. Still close to one of the creatures, but not the entire mob as you attempt to make an acrobatic display that sadly, allows one of the denizens here to attempt a scratch at you, shaken as it were.

Spoiler: AoO, Claw
    Show
    (1d20+7)[26] if hit, Laura takes
    (2d6+8)[13] damage

You got away, but not by far. As you look back, the beast you cut down is still alive. Badly hurt. In fact, any other person would not be standing after a slash like that...

But this isn't a normal situation.

Round 2

@Remiel & Laura: Cordelia appears thirty feet up in the air and has dashed closer to the exit Laura mentioned when she aims her hand down at both and a single ember scorches itself into being.

"You are not getting away. I cannot fathom burning the pack...

Thankfully, I don't have to. You could have ended your life here in silence. Instead, you chose to fight. Now your death will be that more painful because of it!"

The ember increases in size from the tip of Cordelia's finger and two fiery colored rays strike each of you squarely in the chest. Each bares a frightening skull like face before hitting you point blank. This witch has managed to strike both of you at the same time? How? And why do you feel weaker because of it?

But no time to deal with that. It's a painfully burning sensation that invades your entire body. Immolating you from inside... and leaving you emptier somehow.

Spoiler: Fell Drained Empowered Split Ray Fireball
    Show
    (1d20+10)[16] Ranged Touch attack. If it hits, Laura takes (9d6)[1][2][3][3][2][1][3][3][3](21) x1.5 fire damage and 1 negative level*. No save.

Total empowered fire damage for Laura: 31 fire damage

(1d20+10)[26] Ranged Touch attack. If it hits, Remiel takes (9d6)[3][3][3][5][3][2][1][2][2](24) x1.5 fire damage and 1 negative level*. No save

Total empowered fire damage for Remiel: 36 fire damage

*Negative Levels:

An affected opponent takes a –1 penalty on all skill checks and ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws, and loses 5 hit points and one effective level or Hit Die (whenever level is used in a die roll or calculation) for each negative level. A spellcaster loses one spell slot of the highest level of spells she can cast and (if applicable) one prepared spell of that level.

Show
    Cordelia
    Remiel
    Pack x8
    Laura
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2020-03-01 at 03:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190

DruidGuy

Greetings Stranger, I thank you for your assistance. My name is Davish Battleborn, and I am on pilgrimage to this quarter to offer what succor I might to its residents. Having no clear direction, I saw this pyre here and decided to investigate these premises to see if any clues might be gained as to it's reason for being. I happened to stumble upon this hatchway, and had only just gone below when you arrived to render your timely aid. Mayhaps you might be able to fill me in on the current situation in these parts, as you seem a capable fellow?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: The giant of a man begins pulling up the rope ladder as you give him your best as to why you are here.

Once the rope is tucked away, the man looks down at the dark cellar and shuts the trap door. Hard.

And then he stands in place as the rain plinks and planks off his armor while he locks eyes with you.

“Who seeks to provide succor in a cellar? And a pilgrimage? Here? This is no holy land and although my stay has been briefer than most, I can tell you this:

Nobody will want a stranger’s help, Davish Battleborn. Do yourself a favor and go back from whence you came. Respect the fallen in this place and never visit this broken house again.”

The man crosses his arms and awaits your response. But more than likely, your retreat.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

This is a fight, that shouldn't be fought today. Getting save out of this place is most important now!
    He bows down and within a split second, he changed his shape into that of a panther and withdrawed. He slipped through the gap between the ferals, and while moving further he twists as good as possible, to avoid getting hit by them.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    shapechange into a panther: +4str, +4 Nat AC, base land speed 50ft and the mobility feat.
    One (diagonal?) hex is unoccupied, right? Withdrawin there -> no AoO
    Then tumbling past the other two
    Tumble1 vs DC 15 (1d20+8)[10]
    Tumble2 vs DC 20 (1d20+8)[18]

If tumble isn't successful, mobility kicks in. With the increased nat. AC and mobility (+4AC vs AoO while moving) but reduced WIS and everything through shapechange, my AC (vs AoOs) now is 26.

Tumbling is with 1/2 speed. Is it the whole movement or just the hex I tumbled? But at least I'm moving 50ft [base 50ft, withdraw double, tumble half] into the direction Remiel thinks is the exit (survival 26 - roll OC)

13. - Top - End - #193

DruidGuy

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty heavier than a mountain.

Standing just as resolute as this stranger, Davish meets his eye, and holds his gaze level.

I saw a light below. Which meant that at least not long ago someone was here. There was no challenge to my opening the hatch, so investigation seemed the best course of action. continuing on with patience seeping into his voice. All lands are holy, they need not be pristine to be such. And all deserve the choice to accept or deny assistance. If 99 refuse, and 1 accepts, it will be a successful journey. My duty is in part to offer that choice. I have no reason to return to this place, that said, obscuring a crime is in itself a crime. I mean to discover what happened here, and if need be bring those responsible to Justice. Do you mean to stand in the way of that, or to instead shed some light on it, as you seem to have some knowledge of it?

finally with some resignation in his tone, Besides, I can't go back, at least not yet...
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: He may be bigger than you, but that doesn't mean you are going to back down.

The man listens to your words and places his boot on the trap door, while his arms remain crossed.

"You come to a new place- in pilgrimage, no less- and decide upon yourself to sneak into someone's home? Derelict as it may be now, this was a House. And a home should be respected.

So what are you then? A pilgrim or an investigator? You speak of duty... under whose authority? And a crime? You switch back and forth between roles, Davish Battleborn...""

The man turns his back to you and starts walking away.

"That makes you just a bad liar and like many here, a thief looking to strip apart what remains of this place. Not unlike a vulture, pecking at the remains. And you bring Justice into this? A poor choice of words in this place bereft of it. You and I have nothing in common. Nothing to discuss.

Be on your way, Davish. I am sure there are other places you can find around here to fulfill your desires for loot and pillaging. But not this one."

@Remiel: This isn't looking good.

If you had other people here to assist you, perhaps you'd have a better chance. But right now, it's only you and Laura. These creatures will not stop until you are their lunch. You need to make an escape, but where to...

And amidst the roars and screeches of these feral men, your mind backtracks and you make a mental path of where the tunnel was. These things weren't greeting you there. Not at the entrance. If you can outpace them, you may be able to reach the tunnel and get back to the slums of The Mercy, but you'll have to run faster than your natural form allows you to.

Facing the monstrous denizens of this place, you utter a low growl yourself and immediately adopt a sleek feline form. The panther. Revered in some cultures as a deity and apex predator.

The creatures step back a feet while Cordelia watches from above.

"A druid? I thought they were all gone... do not be afraid! He is still just a man- just as easy a prey."

With a primal growl, you sidestep one of the creatures and cause it to claw at the ground before you dash past the other two, who attempt to give you a good swipe.

Spoiler: AoO
    Show
    Claw 1: (1d20+5)[25] if hit, Remiel takes (2d6+8)[18] damage

Claw 2: (1d20+5)[13] if hit, Remiel takes (2d6+8)[19] damage

And so you sprint, getting as much distance as you can from these creatures, while looking back at Laura, left behind with all of them and crazy Cordelia.

The witch points at you as three of the creatures roar towards the foliage above.

"Get him! He is not to escape this place alive!""

The beast men get on all fours just like you and take off in a deadly sprint towards you. Leaping over your sleek frame and coming down with claws and sharp teeth, aiming to bring you down and hold you in place for good this time.

Show

1st Charge: (1d20+7)[13] if hit, Remiel takes (2d6+8)[12] damage plus improved grab DC (1d20+7)[15]

2nd Charge: (1d20+7)[10] if hit, Remiel takes (2d6+8)[11] damage plus improved grab DC (1d20+7)[26]

3rd Charge: (1d20+7)[25] if hit, Remiel takes (2d6+8)[14] damage plus improved grab DC (1d20+7)[26]

@Laura: Cordelia looks back at you as the five remaining creatures encircle you. A few actually getting into flanking positions.

"Remiel has abandoned you. I had heard tales that druids were cowards. It is in their nature, no? Oh, Laura. Don't look at me that way... It tenses your face muscles. Makes you a lot chewier.

Rip her apart."

And so, these things obey. Now within close proximity of you, they are free to go wild as claws dash everywhere, attempting to fulfill Cordelia's wishes.

Spoiler: 1st Claw
    Show
    (1d20+5)[13] if hit, Laura takes (2d6+8)[17] damage

Spoiler: 2nd Claw
    Show

(1d20+5)[8] if hit, Laura takes (2d6+8)[11] damage

Spoiler: 3rd Claw
    Show
    (1d20+5)[24] if hit, Laura takes (2d6+8)[20] damage

Spoiler: 4th Claw Flank
    Show

(1d20+7)[24] if hit, Laura takes (2d6+8)[18] damage

Spoiler: 5th Claw Flank
    Show
    (1d20+7)[12] if hit, Laura takes (2d6+8)[15] damage

Cordelia watches from above and brushes away her white hair to the side.

"Too easy."

Show
    Cordelia
    Remiel
    Pack x8
    Laura

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2020-03-03 at 03:30 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

"I only know what I have seen, and thus far this side of the wall has been less hospitable to me and my kin then the other side of the wall. Who knows maybe it's just depends on your talents is all. As for thieves on that side of the wall, at least you have an idea who they are as they tend to stick out." the dwarf says having an image of what a thief should look like and most of the people in the Mercy seemed to fall into what he would classify as thief looking.

"Let's hope the people who plan to stick a dagger in my ribs get the same impression then no?" the dwarf says thinking it would be safer for the two of them if most people thought he was exactly what he looked like, a heavily armored warrior. Which in a way his magic did seem to gear more towards such things as enchanting weapons and armor much like a warrior would carry. "Someone or something got my kin, and each alone could have taken on a small platoon of trained warriors so I suspect someone or a few someones here will easily be able to deal with me. It's just making sure I don't run into them, again at least. I don't have any bombs to bring down a building after all." he adds as an after thought.

Einkil listens closely about this disease and seems very concerned. "It sounds like necromantic magic, yet you say people contract it after they are scratched or bitten by another who died from it? Does armor like my own offer any protection from such things? After all it would be hard for someone to find exposed flesh besides my face." the dwarf remarks about his suit of armor asking his guide if there was any way to defend against those infected. "After all if we have to run I know you can outdistance me and I don't blame you if this disease is as bad as you say. I just want to know my chances. As for beheading, better to be killed then hurt someone you care about. The clan always comes first." he replies never once believing the individual was above the clan unless they were a paragon or a living ancestor like their great king.

As they arrive at the Vargas Farm Einkil notes no one else seems to be here besides the man on the roof. He had been expecting two other people to be here, that's what he had been told at least, so where were they? "Where are the people who were coming to the farm? I thought Nana said they were coming here. Wait your leaving, I paid you to take me here and back, not just here." the dwarf says realizing almost to late as Drakan starts to leave. "Finding my friends will do me no good if I get lost walking around trying to find my way back. I don't see the two people Nana said were on their way here, and I paid to get here and back to meet them. You have been honest so far so I don't want to say this is a scam but something doesn't seem right. I mean we heard the two people were coming here from Nana, the Commandant said two people were coming this direction roughly when we saw her, and I doubt you are all working together on a large scam as she really didn't seem to like anyone. They should have been here a short time before us, or at least we should have heard them. Is there anywhere else they could be near here if they didn't have a guide?" he asks.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: Drakan shakes his head on your assessment of thieves.

“Best thief is the one who walks around you all day and sticks it to you with a smile while you ask for another, with an even dumber smile.

You don’t get those here. But they are the best... or worst, depending on whose getting shafted.”

Regarding your kin, your guide wipes the ever coming rain off his eyes.

“You seem pretty grim for a dwarf priest. Aren’t priests supposed to have faith or something? Bring hope to the masses and all that? You have no idea they are dead and have made it all the way here ... because of a hunch? Good luck with the rest of your life if that’s the case.”

On the matter of the disease plaguing The Mercy, Drakan shrugs.

“I am no doctor, priest or crazy mage. If you walk around in that walking armory of yours... yeah, I guess. You should be fine. But why tempt fate?”

Once at the entrance to the farm, you turn around to look at Drakan and feel the earth shatter slightly beneath your boots as the rogue walks away.

“I asked for four. You got stingy and gave me three. I told you for three I’d get you here. And I have, dwarf.

As for a welcoming committee? Maybe you expected balloons? A parade? Look around- we’ve been walking for hours under heavy rain.”

And then he says no more and disappears amidst the alleys.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

"I will have to take your word on that Drakan, in my culture their are few who become thieves and those who do are mostly shunned by society. So one as you describe is to far out of my understanding to even fathom." Einkil explains not able to comprehend the idea put forth by Drakan, after all who would ask to be robbed again, or stabbed for that matter?

"I listen to the signs given to me and follow them where I am told." the dwarf says as he pulls out the runestone his mother gave him for a second to remind him of his duty and people before returning it to its hidden slot inside his gauntlet. "If the ore is bad you don't keep working with it and hope it becomes better, you scrap the project and begin anew. Their is no point in wasting time in pleasantries and falsehoods when everything else points in a completely different direction. Do I want to find my kin alive and well, certainly, however given the signs received from the soul forger, and what I have witnessed here myself the evidence does not point in that direction. Us dwarves are realistic, if we are going to die we rather be told to our faces and know that we buying time for others to live, not that reinforcements will be coming when we all know none are really on their way. False hope is a fools tool, only the weak believe a lie told to them when they know that it is not true." he says thinking back to the many fond memories he had shared with his brothers and sisters in arms while they had been in the city of power. When he returned home he would make sure their stories were told and statues were made in their honor.

"Don't want to tempt fate, just want to know what my chances are if one of those things breaks out and my options are outrun the person in front of me or try and find a place to dig in and try to stop myself from being surrounded. Because let's be serious even without this armor you are faster then I am." Einkil notes, seeing no point in painting a pretty picture over facts. Drakan had said he would flee to fight another day, meaning if one of these infected came Einkil would most likely be on his own.

Anger and fury burned within the dwarf at this seeming double cross. That old gnome had told him two people were coming to this place that could help him look for his friends, and this man had agreed to get him here and back for three coins if there was no trouble. Yet now he said he only agreed to get him here for three. Biting back his fury the dwarf only watches the thief as he leaves, waiting for him to be gone before turning back towards the farmhouse and making his way over. "Hello, do you happen to be the owner of this land?" Einkil calls out to the figure on the roof after making his way closer, hands raised away from his weapons to show he meant no ill harm.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: Drakan takes a look at you while the rain keeps pouring down and taps your metal shoulder.

"Crazy enough to be left alone. See you around, dwarf. Or maybe not."

Your former guide doesn't address your avalanche of questions. He already delivered. Whether you like what you got, is a different matter entirely. Maybe you'll bump into him again. Perhaps once you find your kin. Give them a dwarven burial, with all the accolades they deserve.

After all, how can The Soul Forger and you, his greatest artisan on earth, be mistaken?

Things lanky fools like Drakan will never understand as you make your way up the short hill that is The Vargas Farm and call out to the person on the roof.

Not much of a farm, really. It's a house. Incredible that such a place has survived in a jungle of concrete. There is a small patch of land, but barely any greens to grow. The windows are spilling rain water from the shingles above as the shape on the roof gets up and shakes rain water all over the roof, splashing you with it before a pair of gigantic wings emerge from its back and before you lands a menacing beast:

As big as a war horse. Maybe a tad bigger, but a beast unlike any you have seen here or beneath the earth at home. The creature gets in your face and shrieks as loud as it can, nearly breaking your ear drums before it adopts a combat stance and lifts its wings, covering the house and interposing itself between it and you.

What follows immediately is the sound of footsteps from inside and the sound of blades being unsheathed as the door opens abruptly and a woman brushes the beast aside, blade in hand:

"Now I got you, you rotten bastard...oh!""

The beast keeps screeching in your face before the woman gives you a look from head to toe and places her hand around the creature's beak, shutting it up.

"Thank you for the alarm. Try and be louder next time? My left ear still works.""

It's another female that can be heard from inside the house.

Is everything okay? Are we getting into another...

The woman looks at you for a few seconds and pats the creature on the back of its head.

"No. We won't have to. But it's not whom I expected...

Who are you?"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

At Drakan's comment Einkil makes no sign of the openness he had before with the man. Up until this point he had trusted the thief to at least honor their business transaction, but as it became clear he had changed the agreement and would only stay for more money the dwarf knew that in the end he could not trust the man. He had a better chance of being shown honor from Commandant Daratra then he did a thief who would not finish his contract. And thus the dwarf had no words for Drakan as the rain pelted away at his metal armor and he watched the rogue leave.

Looking around the farm the dwarf notes the rather lack luster amount of things growing here, even he had seen more grow in a cave then what he had seen in this place. The mushrooms were edible, unlike what he was looking at on the farm. That is when the shape on the roof stands up and the dwarf realizes this may not be the place he was asked to be led, instead he was brought to some beasts nest to be a snack. As the creature lands before him he reaches for his shield trying to snap it in front of him as the ear piercing screech of this beast seems to go right through his skull.

Its massive frame towering over him, and its claws didn't look like they were for shaking a persons hands. As it lifts its wings up the dwarf snatches out his hammer, ready to rise the hammer up as the creature descends upon him hoping to use its own force to knock it back at the least. It is as he waits for the beast to strike the sounds of blades being drawn reaches his ears, if only barely over the screeching of the beast in his face as he readies himself to fight whatever foul foes try to attack him. He would not be some creatures meal.

So when the woman steps out in full armor looking very much like a knight he is a bit caught off guard, however his eyes keep darting to the strange beast that seems to at least be listening to her for now. "The name is Einkil Durthane, I don't know who you people are but I won't be that things food." the dwarf says, keeping his eyes constantly on the winged beast, backing up every time it seems to inch closer. "Some woman in a bar told me that two people at some farm could help me and had me pay some fellow named Drakan to take me there. Judging by the looks of the house and that winged monstrosity I take it this isn't a farm." the dwarf says clearly nervous of how much of a threat he was in right now and unsure what was going on.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: A thief will always be just that.

You were clear about this business transaction. Very clear. But that lanky good for nothing had other plans. If you see him again, maybe you'll have to teach him a lesson or two regarding how to honor a bargain, dwarf style.

But that will have to wait, as a feathery beast gets ready to pounce on you and before you can bash its beak with your shield, a warrior woman dressed as a knight walks out of the decrepit house and puts the beast at ease, but not you. Expecting an attack from this thing and mentioning to her you won't be its meal, to which the woman chuckles as the beast wretches and gives you a stare down.

"He's going to eat you? Ha! That's rich. Larry here is my mount...""

Larry. The beast has a name ...and it's Larry.

Larry wretches at the mention of eating you and turns his head away from the woman, flapping his wing against her face, causing some feathers to get caught in her mouth as she spits them out and pats the beast on the head.

"Familiar. Sorry, he is quite sensible about that. Thank you, Larry, you may go back up to the roof and keep a good eye out for our friends and fiends. And you are Einkil Thurbane.

So let me get this straight: a woman at a bar told you to come to the middle of ass nowhere- to a farm- where you could find help...and you got Drakan the Drunk to bring you here. Wow.

You know, perhaps it would be wise to not heed advise from women at bars. And you had Drakan bring you all the way here? Little rat is braver than I thought."

The woman stretches her hand to shake yours.

"Clarity Clemens, warrior of Kord. You aren't from around here, obviously. Warrior? Hmmm...""

Clarity inspects you for awhile and a smile shows on her face.

"A priest! Who am I to question Providence? Get in...but rub your boots on the mat first. You're dragging mud.""

Clarity walks in first and stops for a few seconds, making sure you actually rub your boots on a very dirty floor mat before allowing you inside.

The house is small and very old. A couple of windows have been shut and candles have been places on the sills inside, wafting incense. The same type you'd find in a church. A low table has been placed in the biggest room of the house with a map sprawled over it and an old many times patched over couch is the only place to sit down, apart from two stools.

A fireplace gives off some heat as a pot has been hung above it, wafting the scent of tea around the house while Clarity invites you to take a seat.

Of note is a very old and worn tapestry with an unusual symbol:

Spoiler: The Check
    Show

Knowledge religion (trained) to ID it

"It may not look like a farm- and it isn't. But those who live here have decided, unlike the vast majority of people in The Mercy, that a diet based solely on rat is definitely not good for you. And so, they grow their own crops. Not that the land here is good for growing anything, but people get crafty over the years.

And Larry is not a monstrosity. He's a Hippogriff. Noble and heraldic creatures. Never seen one?"

A cough can be heard behind one of two doors at the end of the living room and the same woman's voice can be heard again.

No worries! He's just purging. He'll be fine!

Clarity looks mildly concerned at those words and teases her hand on the hilt of her blade.

"We have a guest! A dwarf by the name of...""

I heard, hun! This house isn't very big. Did he clean his boots on the mat?

Clarity sighs and grabs a stool , urging you to sit down on the couch, but weary that your armor and weight might break it.

"Okay, Einkil Thurbane. I know you're a priest. And I know you aren't a vile one. Had that been the case, you wouldn't be in this house right now. You need help and so do we. There's a group of jasidians hiding in the old Ludus Magnus. I normally don't have quarrel with followers of the Ruby Sorceress, but these guys are bad news. Lendra- that's the farm's owner- and myself attempted to take them down, but had to retreat.

So, I sent a letter to a... friend back in Halmathan. Laura Wildstar, a warrior of Kord. I can safely say that when it comes to raw strength, she may even match Bhagazzin himself in battle, but...

Laura hasn't shown up. I sent in my letter for her to go to the Bitter Coffee- a safe place for people to get drunk and not stab and thieve each other, but that was hours ago and I don't know if she even made it here. With her by my side, we could put down that group immediately. I was about to leave for the Bitter Coffee when, well... things happened. Not worth talking about. But you are here? And a priest. Hold on. Sit tight."

Clarity gives you one more look for a few seconds and then heads to the room next to the one where some strong coughing can be heard, followed by a low prayer and from the room the kordite went in, the sound of drawers being opened and closed in a noisy frenzy before she comes out a few minutes later with an old rolled up scroll in her hands and stretches it on the table, asking you to come see it.

"A friend of mine held on to it before... before she was gone. It's a Sending scroll. Priests know how to use it. You are a priest, so...

Okay, I mentioned I'd help you. But I need your help first. If Laura is in the Mercy. Or if she has denied my letter, I need to know so I don't wait any longer. I know how this scroll works- you need to have an idea of what the person looks like, hmmm...""

Clarity stands up straight and raises her hand a few inches off her head.

"She's that tall, more or less. Very strong. Hmmm.... Long blond hair? Unless she dyed it, but she wouldn't do that. Oh! Violet eyes. That's one of the features that distinguish her the most. I know it's not much, but she likes axes? I'm grasping at straws here, but I really need her assistance if I'm off to cleanse that place.

If you can reach her, please- ask her where she is and that you're here with me. can you do that, Einkil?""

The coughing from the closed room intensifies as Clarity looks at the door and back at you.

"This cannot be any more urgent."

21. - Top - End - #201

DruidGuy

A man can be many things at once Stranger. Just because he might be a sword, doesn't also mean he can't be a shield. I would think one such as you would know that, but perhaps I am wrong in that assumption. You obviously care for this place beyond a casual feeling for the sanctity of a home, but I'll not press further than to say that if you truly cared, that instead of pushing away, you might invite in Davish lets the stranger go without anything further, then after making sure the stranger has left, turns and heads in the other direction, making sure to see that he isn't followed.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: The man listens to your words and lowers his head, his back still turned to you.

"A man can be many things, Davish. That is true. In a den of thieves like this one, though... hard to find people of the caliber you speak of. Especially when you dove down uninvited to loot, something you most likely did. I am not going to fight you, Battleborn. If only because I do not wish to stain this place even further.

May Tarmuid grant you guidance in your path and more importantly, on your choice of words.""

This man is not going to lend assistance to you and best leave him alone as you leave the charred skeleton of a house. He doesn't seem to be following and if he did, you just might be able to not only see him, but hear his towering frame. He did not bother to conceal his footsteps when you were in the cellar and given what he's wearing, it is doubtful he'd be able to conceal them anywhere else for that matter.

Nothing for you to do but go the opposite direction and keep on getting lost in this dump.

And lost you are. The tall scorched buildings and twisting alleys don't offer much in the way of a guide post. People can be seen, but they rather not interact with you and more than a few are outright rude before you find yourself walking by a mountain of debris- on e of these buildings must've collapsed.

Spoiler: The Checks
    Show
    Roll a Spot & Listen

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

"Well Larry looks like he could eat a horse with those talons, never mind a dwarf." the dwarf says as he notes the creatures reaction to hearing that Einkil thought the thing wanted to eat him. "oh please feathers, I saw the way you were eyeing me, snapping your beak like you were." the dwarf says before listening to the knight state that Larry was her mount. "You ride upon that feathered monster? And I thought following Bullet's was hard. How do you even ride a thing like that." he says not understanding how one would stay on when the creature took to the air and decided to flip around, in truth the whole idea was making him sick thinking about it. Being so high up in the sky, spinning in circles and such. No best to stay on the ground where it was nice and safe.

"At the time I it was the best lead I had. That old gnome tricked me good it seems, and the other one, Drakan, got my coin for only half the job no less." he says agreeing that is was no the best idea to take advice from those at a bar, however he had at the time no better option. "Aye I be a priest of Moradin Lady Clarity Clemens, and I'll go in if you promise to call of your attack...Larry." the dwarf says trying his best not to call it a beast again. "I was under the impression an old orc ran this place however so imagine my surprise to find a human knight and her....feathered friend." he says not knowing what to call the thing on the roof as he cleaned his boots of on the mat outside before stepping in.

As he enters the house two things become apparent to him, the first it was simply put four walls and a roof. Not really big enough to accommodate a group this size. And second if he sat on that couch it would either fall apart, best to stand for now. Looking around he notes religious candles which was odd to find in such a place, however then again one had to make due with what they had. And the smell of tea, not his drink of preference, but not something he was unfamiliar with either. Looking around his eyes notice a tapestry with a strange symbol on it and he quickly tries to remember if he had seen it before during a history class or something else as he waits for his host to say why she had asked him inside.

Spoiler: Knowledge Religion
    Show
    (1d20+7)[19]

"Rat's not the worst thing I have eaten over the years to be honest. Umber hulk is far more chewy, and the taste. Let's just say rotten cabbage tastes better." the dwarf shares as he hears about the plight of the farmers and how they were trying to do something besides eat rat. "And if you don't want to eat rat why stay here if you know nothing can grow, well nothing that seems edible at least?" he asks remembering the vegetables he had seen outside. "Larry is what humans here think of as noble? Hippogriff is something I have never heard of, then again if I named half the creatures I am used to dealing with I doubt you would know them either. For me a noble boar will do just fine as a mount, and if it dies you have a feast in its honor." the dwarf says, thinking about roasted boar meat over a fire at that moment, with a nice juicy apple in its mouth, covered in lard and cooked until its nice and brown.

When the sounds from the other room come in one of the warnings Drakan gave him causes him to look concerned even more so when the knight seems to reach for her blade. " I may be new here but um, he didn't get bit or scratched recently right?" the dwarf asks looking at the knight with a mild sense of concern on his face, is this why she had let him in? To help her deal with one of the infected?

"I think I'll stand if thats all right Clarity. No offense I do not know you people and you do not know me. But I do hear someone sick in the room next door. You say he's not sick that's your thing. But me, I'm staying standing where I don't need to worry about being attacked while I'm sitting." he says looking to the closed door before calling out. "No offense, just got ripped off twice so far, rather not go for three times."

Listening to the story Clarity tells the dwarf smirks at the name of the establishment she told her friend to go to. "If your friend is as unlucky as I, no doubt she made it to the bar and got told by the owner like me to hire a guide and that guide simply didn't bring them here, fast cash, a simple few turns and lose her." the dwarf says knowing he was fully lost on how to get back to anywhere from where he was now.

As the knight takes off once more he waits in silence, listening as the coughing grows worst, and he looks at the door when she comes out as if to say are we dealing with that problem before he follows her to the table. Listening to her request and seeing the scroll the dwarf sees little reason not to help. "It seems you are in luck, when I arrived at the bitter coffee I saw someone matching that description leaving with some strange looking hippy fellow. Those were the two I would take it Nana sent me to follow if they were on their way here. Hold on a moment, what exactly do you want me to say to her, and I will try to use the scroll. No promise's on it working though." he says waiting for her reply before sending the message she had asked to her friend Laura Wildstar.

"Laura Wildstar, this is a friend of Clarity. Where are you I am at the farm with her and she ask's for your aid." he sends hoping the spell would work, but unsure.

As the coughing gets louder Einkil looks to his hammer. "If it is out of fear of what the man is about to become, or to much love to put him down I will do it for you." Einkil says looking at the door, noting that no one else seemed to be doing anything about the very sick person on the other side.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: No wonder His Holiness walled up this place.

Not only are the locals uncooperative, but the place is literally falling apart here. With nobody to perform routine maintenance, it's only a matter until...

It may be the rain falling down perpetually on the entire City, but a slight cold rushes over you and presence can be felt extremely close to you as light footsteps make their way towards you and rom a dark alley a figure emerges with a wan smile:

A woman. Dressed much like everybody here, in rags. Albeit taller than many you have met here, except perhaps for that man with the chains as she takes a single step forward and tilts her head sideways.

"You aren't from around here, are you... Davish Battleborn? No need to be alarmed- I heard your name back when you were having an argument with the ilumian. They aren't much for words, are they? You seem to be focused by stare alone, but not in direction.""

The woman takes a few steps closer and seems to be giving you a thorough look.

"What brings you here? Perhaps all you need is a guiding hand.""

@Einkil: That's it. Keep pestering the feathered monstrosity.

Clarity shakes her head upon your remarks about Larry.

"He lets me ride him, yes. But I would appreciate if you stop calling my familiar a monster? He isn't one. You need some training. It's not unlike riding a horse. One with wings.

And Moradin, you say? Of course, the dwarf and the heavy armor and hammer. Hey, I'm not complaining here. It's a godsend. Larry won't attack you, Einkil. And dispense with the pleasantries. Clarity is fine.""

Before walking in, Clarity looks at the house as Larry roosts back on the rooftop and nods.

"A half orc, but yes. An old soldier from back before the new regime. His daughter and him own this house. As for a gnome? You mean Nana? No, she would not trick you. Not you, at least. I cannot vouch for Drakan, though. Why didn't you tell me earlier it was her and not some random woman at some random bar? Makes for speedier explanations.""

Once inside the very humble home, you eyes avert towards the worn tapestry hanging by a few rusty nails and recall what you learned back home about the faiths of man above ground.

That is the triskelion, symbol of Trithereon the Summoner.

Despite his title, Trithereon is far more associated with Liberty, Retribution and Self Defense. His dogma is simple and direct:

All deserve life and the ability to choose their own place in the world, and those who would place others in shackles or control them with oppressive laws must be toppled. Train the common folk to defend themselves and their property should another wish to take their freedoms. If you are wronged, you have the right to exact vengeance yourself, especially if none will help you.

Needless to say, a few on the other side of the wall might disagree with this dogma. But Halmathan is known for being a melting pot not only of races and cultures, but also creeds.

Clarity winces at your mention of culinary tastes once inside.

"Uhhh... we don't eat that. Umber..whatever it's called. I would not advise you to eat rats, Einkil. Despite popular opinion, they aren't good for you. They carry diseases and have a horrible taste. As for the farm? Not mine. Vargas and Lendra have lived here for years and they manage. I told you earlier- in the face of adversity, people get crafty.

And if you want to ride a boar and eat it later, I am sure Glenndale has a pack of them running around. Take my sarcasm as... you know what? Don't go hunting boar there. Better that way. Deal?""

When the coughing is heard in the other room, you refuse to take a seat and are reminded of Drakan's words as Clarity takes her hand away from the hilt and shakes her head.

"Just a cold. Weather is getting bad. No reason to worry. You'll be fine."

When Clarity returns with the scroll, she describes this Laura as best she can. It's a long shot- you have never met Wildstar before and Clarity is not the best at describing her, but a woman with violet eyes s rare enough to hopefully warrant a reply from this person as Clarity paces back and forth around the house and you remain standing in front of the table and place your stubby hands on the old parchment and after ten solid minutes, this one turns to fine dust as Clarity places her hands together.

"Did she reply? What she say?"

But suddenly, the woman's hopeful eyes turn solemn as you once again bring up the issue of the coughing next door and what to do about it, prompting Clarity to stand in front of you, effectively blocking your line of sight to the door.

"How utterly insensible and rude can you be, dwarf? Left stranded here in the middle of nowhere, invited in... and you suggest killing your host? I will pretend I did not hear this and you will not ever mention such thing again. Understood?"

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Laura reels under the avalanche of blows! These things are fast! Faster than she expected. But she's still standing! Just.

"Come on Remiel, we have to get out of here!" She calls out. With a click of her heels she once more teleports out of immediate reach. This time it's enough to put 10ft between her and the nearest creature.

With a brief respite she searches the battlefield for the companion who's twice saved her life. Is that... Is that a panther grappled by that fiend?

"No..." she breathed. It has be Remiel, the druid in some alternate form grappled and helpless. And between them a sea of creatures. Desperately she thinks of anything, anything at all she could do to help him! But she can neither reach him nor do anything to save even if she could. Nothing to be done except die together. Except... Except no. She won't waste this gift

Laura takes a step back.

"Remiel I'm sorry... And thank you."

She turns on her heel and sprints. Back the way they came, she thinks, but anywhere but here. As she runs tears stream down her face. It's weakness and she hates herself for it. For not being strong enough to save Remiel. For leading him on this doomed adventure to his impending death. Rage rises in her breast to battle back the despair and this time she lets it, bringing strength and steadiness back to her battered limbs. She will survive! Even if it takes a miracle!

"Laura Wildstar, this is a friend of Clarity. Where are you I am at the farm with her and she ask's for your aid."

A voice in her head? Could it really be? Or is this another trick by that witch Cordelia? Laura's mind is fogged by anger, but hadn't she just asked for a miracle? She decides to trust it. It's not like her situation could get any more desperate.

"Clarity! Cordelia tricked us!" Laura yells in response. "They got Remiel! I'm hurt bad..." she chokes. "I must be nearby! At the night and green! Come quick!"

She doesn't know how much of that got through or if it is enough, but it'll have to do as she focuses on sprinting for her life. Maybe help will come, maybe it won't. But she has got to get away from here!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action to teleport 10ft.
    Then Rage.
    Full round action to sprint as fast as possible. Base speed is 40ft, so running is 160ft.

She'll try and go back the way she came. Breaking line of sight to Cordelia such that it stays broken is also important.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

@Laura: This is a nightmare!

Remiel, with his awkward behavior, but good intentions. Trying to strike a conversation and maybe...maybe something more. The guy probably never left Glenndale before and this must be his first time doing anything close to a mission and now...

It's a blue nimbus of light that surrounds you and you back up from the pack attempting to disembowel you as you awaken the rage within you and sprint as fast as you can, avoiding the pack that has pinned down Remiel, now in a panther's guise as tears roll down your eyes and avoid the druid's gaze altogether while Cordelia claps from above.

"That's it, Laura. RUN! Run as fast as your legs can carry you! It makes this hunt a lot more enjoyable. Try not to get too lost, girl:

I have one to finish off before I go after you...""

Leaving Remiel and the beasts behind, you try to figure out where exactly is the damn tunnel. You have covered a lot of ground. Possibly enough to even out run those things.

You can't keep running forever. Eventually, even the impressive stamina Kord has graced you with will wane and you'll be left at Cordelia's cruel mercy...

And then, an unfamiliar gruff voice rings through your mind. One that mentions a very familiar name- Clarity!

Question fate at this pivotal time? No. No time to do that as you reply to whoever it is and round a corner, catching your breath but still hearing the growls and screeches way far behind.

Round 3

Held down at the Death's edge, Cordelia flies above you, a mere twenty feet over your mangled feline body as the Feral Men hold you down tight with their claws and sheer body weight.

"Remiel the druid... left all alone. I do not not know what drove you to come to The Mercy. It doesn't matter now. Whatever lofty goals you had. Any dreams of fame and fortune. Heroism...""

Cordelia aims her index at you while the beasts hold you down against the ground and a single black scarab crawls from beneath the witch's sleeve, buzzing around her finger before more and more begin flying from her body like shadows, converging on her fingertip as her eyes widen with manic glee.

"It all ends here!""

It's a focused black chitinous blast that strikes your panther body on the back as the insects immediately burrow into your body, causing you to growl in pain and agony for one last time as you watch your claws turns to those of a man and your head drops on the mossy floor.

Spoiler: Empowered Doom Scarabs Sneak Attack Ray
    Show
    Ranged Touch Attack (1d20+10)[20] if hit, Remiel takes (4d6+6)[23] *1.5 plus (1d6)[4](4) sneak attack damage.

Total Doom Scarab damage vs Remiel: 39 damage

Everything goes red and blurry and before you lose consciousness, the last thing you can hear Cordelia say:

Feast on him. The girl is mine...

Claudia, Laura... this is good bye.

@Laura: The last thing you hear is Remiel's death rattle, followed by distant roars and the crunching of bones and spilling of blood and other things too gruesome to conjure right now.

But Cordelia's voice is heard loud and clear amidst this forest of death:

I'm coming for you, Laura! Just you and me...hehhehehheheee!

Show
    Cordelia

Laura

@Einkil: Regardless of your views on this woman and this dirty shack, this Laura girl replies, ringing painfully in the back of your head:

Clarity! Cordelia tricked us! They got Remiel! I'm hurt bad...I must be nearby! At the night and green! Come quick!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Laura keeps running. Keep sprinting. Break line of sight. Those are her only thoughts as she runs.

Spoiler
    Show

Another 160ft. I don't know what the terrain looks like here, or if there are any exits other that the way we came in by, but I hope what I'm attempting is obvious. Get away. Stop Cordelia from being able to target her.

Quite glad the fly spell doesn't allow its users to run. At least I hope that's the fly spell.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

@Laura: You need to get out of here!

The crunching slurping sounds are not ceasing- Remiel’s remains have kept the pack busy... for now.

No time to dwell on that as you make your way across some vine covered alleys and nearly trip on several roots before you stop at a crossroad of sorts.

The street breaks into two branching paths, left and right. You may or may not recall going through here since Cordelia was acting as guide and really there wasn’t reason to pay attention.

Alternatively, you could hunker down in one of the buildings. Is it ideal? Debatable, but it is dark and who knows if you can find cover or a hiding spot from this witch and her freaks.

There is another alternative, though:

A man hole. The lid is on and vines have grown over it, but you should be able to pry it open. That would lead you into the sewers and hopefully, away from this damn place.

Round 4

Although you can’t see her, you can hear her far off in the distance:

Lauraaaaaa..... oh Lauraaaaaa?! Heheheheee.... Hahahaaaa! Where are you hiding??? I know you’re still here somewhere, girl.

Come out and give up. The pack has had its fill. Let’s have some tea and crumpets and laugh it out, what do you say?

Her voice sounds distant... but who knows for how long.

Show
    Cordelia

Laura

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Tea and Crumpets? Hard No to that!

Laura knows she can't run forever, and the longer she runs the more likely she is to blunder into something nasty. But Cordelia still sounds way too close.

The manhole cover is rejected out of hand. For one thing there'll be evidence it's been disturbed. For two having forgotten the warning about the greenery Laura isn't about to forget the warning about the sewers. And for three if Clarity comes looking Laura wants to be somewhere she's likely to hear.

The buildings are a more promising prospect on all three counts. Though she keeps running for the moment she starts paying attention to potential hiding spots - particularly open windows about 10 to 18ft off the ground that she could reasonably reach by jumping.

Picking a direction entirely at random, she goes right.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

"Well I don't know what to call him. Well besides Larry." Einkil says before she tells him what the creature was called. "Hippogriff, odd name, I see why you called him Larry." Einkil says looking at the creature that was no longer trying to kill him and while still not wishing to fight it, he was more curious about what these strange creatures could do. After all she said it was like a flying horse, and he knew what a horse was.

"To me she was a random woman at a random bar, just someone called Sedge told me to go there and talk to her is all. Said it was the best chance of finding my own friends." he explains to Clarity though he does relax when she informs him he is at the right place. "Took me here for 3 gold, was supposed to be here and back, but now I know better then to trust Drakan saying you are the second person to call him a drunk and out of the two people to do so you seem a lot less judgemental." he says to her.

"I see someone is a follower of Trithereon the Summoner in this household. Not the first thing I expected to see this side of the wall after all the stories I have heard, but it is definitely the most comforting thing I have seen. It means that their are still good people in the Mercy." he says to no one in particular as he makes his way around the humble home.

"So do those flying bird things that poop all over the place, at least with the rats if you raise them yourself you don't have to worry about diseases as much. Not saying I would however there is a business for everyone, and rats are common enough to find. And some grow bigger then those rabbit things you humans eat." he explains. "If I have to gamble between a rat and unripe polluted fruit no offense but I'll take the rat. At least I know what I'm dying from with it." "Crafty, I saw those plants outside, they were not what I would call edible and us dwarves live off of different kinds of mushrooms depending on how deep into the mountain we go."

"I have no want to go to that tree filled place, I lose my sense of direction never mind all the people who look at you funny when you start talking about using a tree as a handle for a weapon...I thought they were going to kill me that day." the dwarf says, having never realized he no doubt was only still alive because his allies had been with him that day.

"I was told there is a disease going around this whole district that is contracted from a bite or scratch from someone else who has it. The early warning signs, and I saw you go towards your own blade. You may see it as rude however I'm only being cautious. I don't want to end up dead because of not paying attention to something that I was told to be wary of." the dwarf says when a voice comes through his head.

"Hold that argument I think it's your friend. Let's see.

Clarity! Cordelia tricked us! They got Remiel! I'm hurt bad...I must be nearby! At the night and green! Come quick!"

he says relaying the message to her. "Does it make any sense to you? I don't know any of these people and last time I checked it was raining but still midafternoon the latest. And well we are in a city besides the park I don't know of any green places here." he explains wondering if she had an idea of what was going on.