New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Power of Chaos [IC Thread]

A gnoll, a hadozee, a halfling, and a pair of humans make for a very odd group. Particularly when the gnoll is carrying a pack full of cooking supplies, the hadozee is being followed around by a walking chest, and everyone but the hadozee is decked out in mithral armor. For a thief, they'd be a virtual gold mine. Except for the fact that they're standing amid a group of armed pirates-turned-merchants.

The five of you stand amid the other fifteen survivors of the crash, twenty all together. If you look about, you'll immediately notice the bright white walls of the city of Ankah in the distance, no doubt built to protect the bustling capital from invaders. You stand in the middle of the city's square, among a small grouping of houses in the residental district. Local authorities, after you proved that you had crashed your last airship, pointed you toward a large inn situated somewhere in this section of town.

Unfortunately, they didn't give you a map.

You've been wandering around the city for the last hour and a half, searching for the "Fool's Requiem" inn, bar, and brothel. Luckily for you all, however, the owner of the Fool's Requiem isn't smart enough not to advertise the brothel part.

You're now sitting amid the common room of the Fool's Requiem. The firstmate is arguing with the owner about getting rooms for twenty people, but he's quickly upset by the amount of money they would need to house everyone there for the next three months of repairs. Philly, the firstmate, approaches you all and politely informs you of the cost.

Innkeepers. Blackgutted pond-scum if you ask me. He's demanding a ransom for housin' us! He's lookin' fer fifteen hundred(1500) for the first two weeks! In my day, we killed men like him.. Well you lot need to get to work!

The firstmate yells that last part at the entirety of the crew, which includes yourselves. It appears that you need to find work, and damn good paying work at that!
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2007-10-13 at 03:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Power of Chaos [IC Thread]

"1500?" Toryn lets out a low whistle at that.

Toryn is about average size for a young halfling man. His red hair is long, and currently kept in a simply pony-tail beneath his green bandanna. His face has angular features, with a pointed chin and nose, with thin, chapped lips between them. As is usual with young, athletic halflings, he has a thin and wiry build with well toned muscles. He wears a simple green shirt over his chain shirt that matches the tight bandanna. He wears plain leather leggings that completely cover his legs, and simple, well-worn boots. Over all of this, he wears an unassuming, heavy cloak that actually covers the rest of his body down to his ankles completely.

"That includin' a visit to the brothel e'ry night or somethin'? No offense to our gracious host an' 'is, ah, 'workers,' but I usually prefer m' ladies shorter 'n I can probably get 'em 'ere, an' more int'rested in a good time 'an my money, yeah?" He puts on a silly grin as he speaks.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Riona Lochlainn

"Mind if I try to negotiate?" offers Riona to the first mate, an amused smirk on her lips. "I've got a way with people." Without waiting for a response, she makes her way over to the owner. "Listen. This ship was in the employ of my father." She flashes her signet ring at the man. "He's a very wealthy, very influential man. Now, he'll find us soon enough, and if he doesn't he'll find out where we've stayed when we get back to him. He's a firm believer in rewarding those who are generous--especially to his daughter and her companions. Now, you give us a better deal, help us out when we're in trouble, and I guarantee you he'll make it worth your while."

Rollin', rollin', rollin':
    Spoiler
    Show

(choose whichever seems appropriate, or both if you like)
    Bluff: (1d20+10)[18]
    Diplomacy: (1d20+9)[26]

And for the record, the signet ring wouldn't help to identify her. It's a fairly recent creation.
    Last edited by dr.cello; 2007-10-13 at 07:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The innkeeper is dressed rather lowly, like a man trying to appear like he has less money than he really does. He smiles and claps once Riona mentions that her father is a very wealthy man.

Ah! I'm sorry, Ms. I apologize for offering you the basic rooms.. If you're father is that wealthy, then you'll want the suites! Why, luckily for you I have a single suite free. I'll just need you to pay for your suite and your friend's rooms.

That will be three thousand(3000) gold then!

Spoiler
    Show
    Telling someone you have more money than you really do isn't the best bargaining chip when dealing with the greedy. It's like saying "Hey, I'm friends with the Emperor of Earth." when you're being held hostage.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2007-10-13 at 08:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Riona Lochlainn

"I think you misunderstand," responds Riona patiently. "You will charge us nothing more than five hundred for the rooms, for the duration of our stay, and I'll tell my father you were a kind and generous innkeeper who requires compensation, and I promise you he'll make your generosity worth your while."

Keep them d20's rollin':
    Spoiler
    Show

Bluff: (1d20+10)[13]
    Diplomacy: (1d20+9)[23]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The innkeeper, at this rather poor second attempt, frowns deeply.

Miss. I've been as accomodating as possible for a group of riff-raff who want rooms in my inn. Now, I'm willing to give your friends their rooms at fifteen hundred like I offered your first mate. But I'd rather you didn't try to bargain me down when you just informed me of your father's wealth. I certainly know that no man of pedigree would let his daughter walk around with less than the amount I'm offering to your friends.

Spoiler
    Show
    Theres a reason Diplomacy retries aren't encouraged.

7. - Top - End - #7

Toryn follows Riona as she keeps moving, his footfalls nearly silent. As negotiations go sour, he jumps up and pats Riona on the shoulder, and begins saying loudly, "Thank ya for your kindness, sir, we'll be takin' that offer a' 1,500 gladly." Into Riona's ear, he whispers, "Now, walk away, before things get worse, yeah?" All the while, he has a big grin on his face.

8. - Top - End - #8

Red
    "A good chef never goes without a job." responds Red, adjusting his hat slightly and smiling, before turning around and noticing the scene Riona is making, at which point his smile promptly vanishes.

Walking up behind his colleague, he reaches down and picks Rinoa up by the back of the neck gently, and lifts her into the air. "I think you've done quite enough damage for one day." he said, as he carried Rinoa back to the rest of the group.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gregor

Gregor kept quiet while Riona tried her ill-fated attempt of diplomacy, his arms folded across his chest and his right hand playing with his lower lip. "Hrmph. If zere is von ting I've learned from za city streets, it's zat you don't try to con an innkeep out of his fee. Sometimes, you vake ap with large men standing over your bed. Not pretty, I assure you." He bows his head, and takes a few meandering steps. His build is slight, but tall. Bony cheeks, a neatly trimmed goatee, and fairly long black hair swept back haphazardly complete a somewhat sinister look. "But no matter. As for ze gold, I have some put avay for such an occasion, but I vould enjoy contributing in other vays. My arcane abilities are very situation-specific, however. Perhaps ... someone needs some pesky critters disposed ov? Some dangerous verk?" He ***** an eye at the innkeeper, who he is sure has been listening.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Riona Lochlainn

"If there's one thing I've learned from the road, it's that innkeepers are lacking in neither gold nor cupidity, and taking the opportunity to con them out of 'their fee' is practically a public service. Unfortunately, our friend is too stupid for fast-talking. Always another way, though, even if it's less artful." Riona shrugs, and waves a dismissive hand. "No matter. I'm good at making opportunity present itself. Oh, and Red? Fair warning, never do that again. It'll be better for everyone."
    Last edited by dr.cello; 2007-10-14 at 09:31 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Red
    "You can ply your trade on an innkeeper who isn't quite so greedy. This is a big city, we can take our business elsewhere. Oh, and Rinoa? Fair warning: Never mention your heritage to a merchant again. It'll be better for everyone." responds, Red, without even the slightest hint of a smile.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Riona Lochlainn

"And why should I refrain from a tactic which has worked wonders in the past? Thanks for the advice, but I think--know--I'm better at this than you." Riona sighs. "Stick with something you're good at."

13. - Top - End - #13

"...Says the lady who nearly doubled the price a' our stay." Toryn's grin turns impish. "No 'fense love, but you're failin' to impress me thus far, yeah? You keep mention a' your family to a minimum 'ere; more likely to get a dagger in your back 'an a good deal for it."

His grin vanishes for a moment, and he starts counting on his fingers. "1500 gold, 20 a' us, minus a first mate who can't do squat... Round it all off... ya get something like 75, 80 gold per person. For two weeks" His expression turns sour as he says, "By th' Hells, I think I'd rather sleep outside." With a sigh, he says, "Well, so it goes. Maybe 'ere's some ruins or somethin' to check out, somethin' to get th' blood pumpin', yeah?" At this point, he's talking more to himself as he walks out of the inn.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If no one has anything else to do with Toryn in the immediate future, Toryn's going to go hunting for information.
    Gather Information: (1d20+2=21)
    And do pretty good at it, too!
    [edit]Forgot the time roll; Gather Info (Time): (1d4+1=3)
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2007-10-15 at 01:21 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Riona Lochlainn

"It's hardly my fault the innkeeper's an idiot. Anyway, that was not 'mentioning my family,' that was 'outright lying.' There is a difference. It's a basic principle of con artistry: tell lies."

15. - Top - End - #15

Red
    "'A professional can always deal with fools'. Even if I am a chef, and not a con artist like yourself. Fair warning, it would also do you well not to mention that you are a con artist within earshot of the innkeeper." returns Red, standing up and following Toryn out.

"We can find accomodations elsewhere. They might be smaller, and less comfortable, but I would prefer to retain my arms and legs. A thousand gold pieces could buy us a house."

16. - Top - End - #16

((Sorry about double post, need to make a roll))
    Red
    Leaving the 'Fool's Requiem' (a fitting name, he thought), Red ventured out into the large city, with whoever else would follow, hunting for other inns and accommodations. He wanted to find cheap examples, but any would do.

After exploring the city for a few hours, he returned to the Fool's Requiem - hopefully with good news. Unfortunately, he emerged from his explorations empty handed, the peoples' prejudices against gnolls (probably rightly so, but it was bothersome all the same) limiting his ability to track down inns.

Gather Information - (1d20+2)[6]
    Time - (1d4+1)[5]
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2007-10-14 at 10:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Riona Lochlainn

Riona, naturally, is not stupid enough to talk loudly enough for the innkeeper to overhear. "I really don't have time to discuss the delicate nuances of social interaction with someone whose idea of wit is to incessantly repeat phrases someone else used. So, sure, whatever helps you sleep at night." She sighs and stands up. "Anyone else care to insult me, belittle me, or express doubts about my abilities based on a single failure to accomplish something none of you even bothered to attempt? Fair's fair, right? I'd feel bad if I didn't let everyone else have a try. Or, you can let me go find something useful to do."

She five beats or so before walking out the door, unless someone actually takes her up on her rhetorical offer.

Once on the streets, she'll make her way for the city center, generally keeping an eye out for anything interesting (as defined in the book of scoundrels, thieves, ne'er-do-wells, and highwaymen as 'something which looks like it has the potential to provide a substantial payout'), and asking the occasional question to see if anyone can guide her to more interesting places.

Rollin', rollin', rollin', rawhide:
    Spoiler
    Show

Gather info: (1d20+1)[12]
    Time: (1d4+1)[4]
    She's really more looking at businesses and buildings which either look like breaking into or like they would be worth a further investigation--the gather info is intended as a supplement to that rather than actually asking people 'what's the best place to break into?' because that would just be silly. I'm not sure what the appropriate roll would be.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gregor

It was clear that this group was lively; Gregor didn't like lively all that much. He liked things that worked. And things that brought him closer to his personal goal of ultimate eldritch power. Or money ... Money was good, too.

He was about to take up Riona's offer but decided against it. Man hath felt no wrath like a woman scorned, he thought. Instead, he went outside to search for the town square and find something to do. Philly's decision to pay for two weeks' worth at in the inn was a clear signal that they were staying here for a while, and even though he could pay his part of the bill handily, boredom was a cruel mistress. Zere has to be someone in need of my talents ...

Spoiler
    Show
    Gregor is looking for work/rumors of the "there's bandits in the woods" or "so-and-so needs help getting their sister back" and whatnot.

Gather Information - (1d20+3)[21]
    Time - (1d4+1)[5]
    Last edited by warbacon; 2007-10-15 at 12:11 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately for Riona, she's got little in terms of worth breaking into. There are a few shops in the merchant's quarter, but the streets are rather heavily guarded against cut-purses. A shop that's selling various magical items catches the young thief's eye, but common sense tells her not to provoke the wizard who can actually make all these items.

Toryn, however, finds himself in a much better predicament. He stumbles into a local guild workshop where men and women post job offers. He immediately looks for an adventurous offer and strikes it rich. It seems that a well-to-do nobleman is looking for a refractor on cheap, and isn't interested in going through the usual circles. So he's hiring out promising individuals to scout out a ruin two day's march south of the city. The job pays three thousand gold up front and gives salvage rights to everything but the refractor.

Gregor bumps into Toryn as the halfling is leaving a rather squat, squarish building. Upon entering it, the man immediately notices that the building is some sort of guild workshop that sells contracts for work. Looking at the highest paying offer brings a slight tear to his eye. A rather well-to-do nobleman is looking for a refractor on cheap, and isn't interested in going through the usual circles. So he's hiring out promising individuals to scout out a ruin two day's march south of the city. The job pays three thousand gold up front and gives salvage rights to everything but the refractor.

The other job offers are small change; 100 gold to find a lost locket, 10 gold to find a lost pet, even a 10 silver reward for finding a lost shoe..
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2007-10-15 at 04:15 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

((You really ought to actually say when you're taking precautions rather than retroactively doing so.))

Red
    "This, from someone who blamed the innkeeper for her own failure?"

---

Red returns empty handed, and shrugs.

"This city just doesn't like gnolls." he says, taking a seat back with the rest of the survivors. "How did you fare, Toryn?" he asked, not asking Rinoa for the simple reason that she left after he did and arrived before he returned.

((EDIT: @Dr. cello: Actually, I'd probably say that simple precautions are rather important - We haven't really fully established the day to day manner of the characters, and minor details like this are important. Until just before I had no idea whether Riona was keeping her voice down or just talking normally. It's hardly pedantism, really.

It's something which could actually prove to change the position the group is in with regards to the innkeeper.))
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2007-10-15 at 06:23 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

((I sort of assumed nobody would make a big deal of it because it's the sort of thing that you only pay attention to whilst being excessively pedantic and/or trying to one-up people.))

Riona Lochlainn
    Riona decides to pay the shop a visit anyway--interesting comes in more than just the most obvious of solutions. She'll ask if the owner/proprietor is available and, in the event he is, ask if he has need of any services, suggesting more than outright stating that she (and her companions, but the emphasis on their existence is minor at best) could provide useful service in the fields of 'acquisition' of difficult-to-reach relics, and as mercenaries. If he expresses no interest she'll thank him for his time and provide instructions for contacting her in the event he does require her services.

Just roll and throw and brand 'em:
    Spoiler
    Show

The bluff check is only in the event the DM feels it's necessary; she isn't lying or trying to rip off the wizard. I should probably add that the ultimate goal of this is more establishing friendly contact and/or working relationship with the wizard more than looking for employment, but the two tend to go hand-in-hand.
    Diplomacy: (1d20+9)[23]
    Bluff: (1d20+10)[23]
    Last edited by dr.cello; 2007-10-15 at 06:06 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Toryn greets Red with the usual grin and a thumbs up. Keeping his voice low so that no one else would overhear him, he says, "Far as I'm concerned, I hit th' jackpot. Kinda dangerous, but 3,000 gold plus almost all the spoils a' th' hunt. Someone 'round 'ere's lookin' for a refractor in some nearby ruins. I's figurin' on roundin' up a few a' th' crew 'n' takin' a looksee, yeah? Figure it's better 'an waitin' around 'ere with first mate loud-mouth, anyways. Int'rested?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gregor

Coming out from the guild hall, Gregor walks towards the Fool's Requiem with renewed vigor. Precisely zhe job I vas looking vor. He starts a mental checklist: Rich noble, check. Dangerous cargo, check. Avay from zhe city, check. Salvage rights, check. Rag-tag band of adventurers ... ve'll have to gazher zhose. Also vind a healer. People eye at the grinning dark man strangely as he counts something off on his fingers. He can tell that some of them are making him for a mark -- which reminds him, Ah yes ... that 'noble child' ... she vill be useful. Toryn must have read that notice. Garsh knows refractors, ve'll need him. And zhe gnoll...

Spoiler
    Show
    I presume the job listing had contact info for the well-to-do noble; otherwise it'll be hard to, y'know, get the job. If not, Gregor isn't walking out of the Guild Hall without that information.

Does the surviving crew include a cleric or druid who isn't totally occupied tending to the sick and wounded? We're going to need a healer if we're going two days south: dem's lion country.

Gregor is heading back to the inn, where he'll report his findings to the aforementioned people and Philly, and suggest we group up and approach the noble.

24. - Top - End - #24

Red
    Sitting down, Red leans over to listen closely. "Sounds like a plan. Once we have money, we could probably make an arrangement with a less greedy innkeeper." he whispers back, nodding.

"Three thousand gold, straight up... Was there anything else?" whispers Red, wondering if the noble wanted anything else.

25. - Top - End - #25

"Like I said," Toryn begins, keeping his voice low still, "guy's lookin' for 'imself a refractor. Th' jobs s'posed to be 'bout scouting, but if we find one 'ee gets claim to it. Anythin' else we find in 'ere's ours, if I read 'at notice right." Toryn shrugs. "Sounds like a pretty good deal t' me. I'm figuring you, Gregor, me, an' a coupla' other a' the uninjured mates get together an' 'ave a go at it, yeah? I'm figurin' we keep 'at spoilsport Philly outta it, meself."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Toryn'd have either the contact information memorized, or just note how to get back to the guild hall to get the notice again. Either way works for me.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2007-10-15 at 05:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Garsh Mikelmirth

Garsh looked up from his interminable tinkering with the walking footlocker he called "The Luggage"* to hear the report from the other crewmates. He hooted softly to himself as he ran black-skinned fingers through the shaggy hair at his neck.

"And I suppose the lot o' you will be wanting to run off into this strange place so that you're more easily killed and eaten by whatever beastie calls it home, eh? Ever wonder why it's called a ruin, instead of 'haven' or 'picnic spot' or 'scenic overlook'? It's 'cause there's something with the power to demolish a thing and make it uninhabitable."

"Course, there's plenty waiting around here to skin us alive, too." He shot the innkeeper a dark look. "Might as well take the work, if it's the best of the bad lot."

You can tell by the way he sets to work making sure that all the supplies are in order that he's actually looking forward to the prospect.

Spoiler
    Show
    The name is intended to be an homage to, not rip-off from, Terry Pratchett's Diskworld series.
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gregor

"Ahh come off ov it, Garsh my vriend. It vill be fun!" Despite being well aware of Garsh's interest in the adventure, Gregor thought it best to keep up appearances. As for his own preparations, Gregor carried all of his worldly possessions in his haversack, but there might be one item that would be useful: "Garsh, do you happen to be carrying a refractor shard? Red? Toryn? I do not vant to find myself in zhe voods tained by Chaos."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Riona

The wizard, a rather homely old elf with a thick head of untamed hair, greets Riona quietly. He doesn't need much done at the moment, other than delivering a letter to a friend. He hands you five platnium pieces, the letter, and a small glowing silver stone. When asked what the stone is, he simply replies that it will "keep you safe from darkness". He then explains to you how to get to the small little hamlet his friend lives in. Apparently the hamlet, Curisshaven, is a day and a half march south of Ankah.

Everyone else

Searching for a cleric or druid proves fruitless. The pastor, Reverend Michael Del'zan, was never found among the wreckage of the ship. So far, only a few of the ship's mates are willing to go with you. Most of them hear the word 'ruin' and immediately experience their natural instinct of self-preservation kick in. The two that are willing to go are the Navigator, Drass Undan, and one of the Sailors, Claire Idellburn. Both are already armed with bows and armored in leather.

Now there was just the problem of finding Riona..

Spoiler
    Show
    No cleric, but you do gain a tracker and an archer.
    Last edited by ZeroNumerous; 2007-10-16 at 02:53 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Red
    "Of course I am carrying a shard! Did you not get one while we were at port last time?" asks Red, raising an eyebrow.

"Alright, who else doesn't have a refractor?" he asks, then, realising he was the only one who actually made a point to carry a protective shard, sighed, and placed his head in his palms. "Do you at least have enough food?" he murmurs into his hands, shaking his head. It would be far harder than he thought.

All of a sudden, a thought occurs to him. "Say, Toryn, you haven't already put our names down for the job, right?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Riona Lochlainn

"I'll see this delivered presently. Thank you." Riona safely stows the coins, letter, and stone (the latter in her pocket, the rest in her backpack) and withdraws, making her way back to the inn.

Upon her return to the inn, she seeks out Garsh. "Garsh, I've picked up a little something I'd like you to take a look at, if you don't mind. I think it might be important." She does not mention the letter as of yet, but she flashes the stone at him briefly and surreptitiously, so as to make it difficult for anyone else to spot. "So, anyone find anything 'interesting?'"

My heart's calculatin' some rolls will be waitin':
    Spoiler
    Show

I'd like to do a Sense Motive check to get a hunch about the wizard's general disposition, if possible:
    Sense Motive: (1d20+8)[21]
    Taking 10 on Sleight of Hand for showing Garsh-and-only-Garsh the stone comes out to 23, if that's necessary.
    Last edited by dr.cello; 2007-10-16 at 05:43 AM.