New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Gunpowder and Galleons: a Pathfinder Story.

"All right. I mean, success will keep us alive to stay on the payroll. Neither side has an obvious incentive to blow up a factory they're trying to seize, so there is that."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Sarlu shrugged; stopping a rebellion? Didn't sound like an exciting story. But one never knew with these things. Exciting times. Sure. Noncommittal, aloof.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

You are to meet us at the back entrance of the powder mill half an hour after sundown. Sparrow says. They will be armed but fight with caution. This is a delicate matter.

You are to meet us at the entrance of the powder mill one hour after production has ceased for the day. Zax utters. If you need or want supplies, you can go buy them now. Just be
    careful, even crossing blades can make a barrel of powder explode.

Spoiler
    Show
    For the sake of game speed, I expect you shop OOC. To not allow metagaming/fudging, I assume by the morning of the 18. March you have bought everything you need.

Also Map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Uhw/edit#gid=0

As the evening comes, you go to the old powder mill. As you approach, you can still see a bit of smoke coming from the building. As the day's work comes to a close, a bit of coal is always in the air. As you approach, you smell the overpowering odor of sulfur, , and yet closer, you feel like Ammonia mixes into it. The work is grueling and very unhealthy, yet vital to the survival of Iberis. The whole building is dug a good 5 feet below ground, with a dirt wall surrounding the building. You can only see a chimney and the typical red roof tiles of Iberian houses.. You have heard of explosions at powder mills, and these precautions are likely to limit the damage they cause. Because these things explode. A lot.

You meet at the respective points (north for Sparrow's group and south for Zax' group. It seems the place is usually guarded at night but for some reason, there is no one around tonight. As you meet, the group south hears a bird vocalize in the lush summer air. Zax is dressed as usual, clad in a leather studded tunic, with loads of tools. He wields a staff, has a rifle around his back, and has his trademark smirk.

Sparrow is geared for combat. Her belt holds a well made rapier and also a double barelled pistol, and she is clad in an glittering chain shirt made from a silvery material. The group north sees Sparrow emulating a bird cry. Zax invites you inside where you meet the other group. Sparrow stays silent and nods at Zax.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, this was needlessly complicated. No don't ask.

I believe these are the royal operatives and their spy master. Sparrow bows slightly.
    Welcome all, to the defense of this town's last hope for stability. I'll make this quick. Tonight a few rebels will dock in a secret bay just below this mill. They will bring explosives up here, and try to blow the place up. Your job is to prevent that. Our job... Zax looks at Sparrow and himself is it to monitor and sabotage their supplies. Any questions? But make it quick.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

"They're trying to blow the place up?" Nathanael frowned. "Seems to me then, the best place to stop them is in the bay—best of all, before they even get off the ship—as far from the mill as possible. If we want to take them alive, we could lay ambush just above the bay. Point a few guns at 'em, they'll surrender rather than risk being turned to giblets by their own explosives. Either way, we could plant a few extra barrels of powder to help us make our point."

Spoiler
    Show

Can't think of anything Nathanael would want to buy for this, that he doesn't already have. Maybe he could make a couple of flare cartridges, but without Quick Clear I'm really nervous to have him increase his misfire chance.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Daisy

"I agree. Seems like it would be a lot easier to take care of these saboteurs if we don't have to dread every spark", the halfling woman says and pats her pistols.
    Semper ludens.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Ajax

It would not do, to leave this place undefended as this is our task. I will remain and guard the north side.

He pauses as a thought occurs to him

Have we made sure that no one else is already here? Perhaps in a barrel?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Colossus in the Playground

I second the idea to fight them further from the mill, Ela says. My attacks... They're not precise.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Daisy

"Check for stowaways, right. Some of you brawny guys do the lifting and opening, I'll check the high places.". With that, Daisy looks around places in the rafters or other high places she would have hidden herself.
    Semper ludens.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Zax looks at you bunch, checking your gear. As he stops with Ela, he sighs.

That is why I keep you around Ela. Obvious flaw right here. Alright, we swap our jobs. Sparrow and me keep the mill safe. If anyone with the means to harm the mill escapes you, signal us. But I want to hear a battle plan before we start.

Zax murmurs a few magic words*, after which a rough sketch of a hidden bay appears scratched into the trampled dirt. The bay faces north, with a winding path going up the cliff. Zax explains the cliff is about 200 ft. up, you can assume archery positions but firearms do not reach far enough. The bay is equipped with an abandoned but functional loading dock. Zax adds that he finds it odd that the pirates have access to explosives, but that is likely a problem further down the line.

According to Sparrow's information the dock is large enough for a small brigantine**. The beach itself is composed of rocks, making it hard to traverse***. Crew members can be from all walks of life. But most prominently these are Iberians, who know the area, drow who can see perfectly during the darkest night, and a few half-breeds, likely half-orcs and half-drow. Combat experience should be about on par with you, but they vastly outnumber you.

Spoiler: *Spellcraft DC 10
    Show
    He is casting Prestidigitation.

Spoiler: **Profession (Sailor) or similar
    Show
    A brigantine holds up to 20 crew members. It is about 30ft. long.

Spoiler: ***beach
    Show
    It is difficult terrain.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Colossus in the Playground

Outnumbered. That is why bombs, Ela says.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sounds like a little more than "a few" rebels. Our best bet then is to defend the path leading up from the bay, and the best way to do that is with bombs."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Sarlu frowns. I believe, that, with us outnumbered, it would be prudent to ensure their numbers advantage is nullified. A chokepoint, if you will.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

"The path up the cliff seems like the best and only 'choke point' we'll have. Again, if we're not worried about preserving a route down to an 'abandoned' dock, is that not the best place to lay a trap with some powder?"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Ajax
    If you destroy the path, then it is possible that our enemies will run and scatter. This will make tracking down the source much more difficult.
    Last edited by Novabomb; 2020-03-22 at 01:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Daisy

Once she is satisfied that there are no lurkers in the mill, Daisy interjects another concern."What about light? These saboteurs might well be all manner of nightfolk. Can any of you make nice, clear light from one moment to the next?".
    Semper ludens.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Sarlu twisted his wrist and spoke Lumin. And a quartet of glowing orbs surrounded the group. A simple cantrip; a party trick really.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

This sounds good. We will fight off any stragglers.

You approach the cliff and see a rather steep incline. Every 30 feet there is a artifical slope created to accustom a bit broader transport, but the actual road seems like it wasn't maintained for a few years. You wouldn't be sure of the structural integrity of it. But it would be an easy and quick way to get up there.

As the full moon rises you all can make out a ship against the horizon. It has no lights lit, and is sailing on half-mast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1589341587

Tell me your approximate positions and a Perception check and I can fill it out with details. Remember it is almost night-time so penalties will apply for darkness (and distance). Going further down gives up your advantage for better vision. Going up the slopes halves your speed.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathanael hunkered down in a position and readied his musket. "I can use magic to help in aiming, if anyone wants it. I can only give it to a few people, and it lasts a couple hours. If we need light, I can put a Glow effect on a rock and toss it into their midst; that'll last two minutes a pop."

Spoiler
    Show

He'll be in Q25, going Prone if it would still enable him to see & shoot. When the ship arrives he will cast Aiming Scope (+1 competence bonus to ranged attack rolls & treat targets as 1 range increment closer) on himself and anyone who wants it, with the Black Light talent to keep it dark, and spending a spell point to maintain it without concentration for 2 hours. He will also cast Encompassing Light on himself (doesn't require a spell point or concentration, but needs refreshing every 2 minutes), again with Black Light, to increase his damage.

Just had a hilarious idea of throwing a strobe light into a squad of Drow and repeatedly triggering their first-round Light Blindness by repeatedly making the Glow shed Bright Light and dropping concentration. Unfortunately it sounds like it's a mix of enemies.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Ajax moves to his position, and doffs his overcoat.

He stretches his arms weaving a strange pattern, a pistol in each hand. He takes a natural stance, and prepares to wait.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(Goes to K20)
    Perception (1d20+8)[22]

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Daisy

"If it doesn't hurt, and it won't turn me into a newt, I'll take some of that magic aiming, please.". Daisy lies down at K20 J20, getting herself nice and invisible. stealth - (1d20+14)[31]
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-03-26 at 12:17 AM.
    Semper ludens.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Sarlu harumphed as everyone maneuvered into position. He crouched down making a half-hearted attempt at hiding in the dirt and muck.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[16] Perception
    (1d20+2)[10] Stealth
    C20 is where he'll post out.
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2020-03-26 at 11:02 AM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!