New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default So Heckin' DONE with Alignments

Playground, please lend your assistance in the following matter:

As I'm gearing up to DM a new group, I've realized that 90% of the table problems I've encountered have come down to my players presenting their characters as Chaotic Stupid or Lawful *******, and I wonder if I should just not have alignments altogether.

On the surface, that means that any player, NPC, or monster that isn't an Outsider will be treated as Neutral for game purposes.

Benefits:
    * Players are discouraged from the false logic of "my alignment is X, so I do Y."
    * Enemies and encounters are not limited to opposing alignments (I can present Angels etc. as protagonists)
    * Smite Good/Unholy Word etc. have reduced effects vice a "good" party

Drawbacks:
    * Smite Evil/Holy Word etc. have reduced effects on most enemies
    * Holy/Unholy weapons are harder to use
    * How do I handle Paladins/Clerics? (see below)
    * How do I handle Undead?

I think, for game rule purposes, Clerics/Paladins and other classes that "radiate an aura" of a particular alignment will be treated as fully of that alignment, since really what they're radiating is the proxy power of their God or Patron. The same logic guides their choice of channeling divine energy and casting heal/harm magic.

But Undead? I'm undecided. Certainly a Skeleton or Zombie isn't necessarily Evil, heck it's barely free-willed enough to have an alignment of its own. And a righteous Paladin turned to a Vampire against his will doesn't automatically shift his entire worldview... although centuries of being a powerful immortal might slowly warp his morals.

Most importantly: WHAT AM I MISSING? What objections/problems might come of this (either in RAW terms or from the table)?
    Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad.

Outlandish Claim #5:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Belkar Bitterleaf isn't "playing against type", he's just a complelely normal halfling.
    No plan survives first contact with the PCs.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: So Heckin' DONE with Alignments

You could try using the Magic: The Gathering color wheel instead of the traditional alignment grid. I know someone homebrewed an adaptation for it somewhere around here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You are missing quite a lot.

First, you can take the Chaotic Obnoxious or Lawful Stupid off of the character sheet but you cannot take it out of the players.
    All this does is allow them to act even Chaotic Outright Ridiculous or Lawful Stupider and still get away with immunity to alignment smackdowns.

Next, you do not miss it, but you seem to think there is a casual fix to the various problems you note.
    Well, theoretically there is: you can play with variant systems like Oriental Adventures does where alignment is secondary to honor or some other factor. At least those systems pretend it solves the problems. Really they have as much subjectivity and room for player shenanigans as the core alignment rules.

As for objections from the table, they are also rather obvious: any player selfish enough to play a Chaotic Obnoxious or Lawful Stupid in the first place is selfish enough to pitch a fit when told he cannot, denouncing you to all (in the group) and sundry (other potential players in the local gaming community) as a lousy, cheating, unfair DM.

Finally, ultimately your "fix" will never manage to teach the players how to play the alignments, not to mention how to play a cooperative game like D&D where alignments are rather hardwired into the system.

Instead, I would advise talking to the players ahead of time, explain the issues you have had the in the past, and "request" (insist) that the new characters be of limited alignment choices, or even just exclusively Neutral Good. Yes, that means no paladins for now.
    Once everyone is comfortable with the dynamic and the "new" way to play alignments the options can be expanded for additional campaigns or replacement characters, but not to all 9 alignments right away. In particular, all Evil alignments and Chaotic Neutral will be off limits until the group really connects.
    I've done that with several groups over the years, and the results have always been excellent. I've had players run strict paladins that raise the expectations for the entire group without forcing choices, chaotic clerics whose madness never derails the action, vicious assassins with total group loyalty, and evil pirates who vent exclusively on the opposition.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The thing about Alignments is people apply them backwards from how they should. Don't choose an alignment and then try to play a character who matches it, play the character the way you want to and then decide which alignment best applies to them. People get too hung up on alignments, they're highly malleable descriptions that have lots of overlap, not stone chiseled instructions with clear boundaries on how you have to behave.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Pathfinder had some ideas on how to remove alignment that you can read about here. Perhaps you can retrofit it for your game.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sabelo2000 View Post

As I'm gearing up to DM a new group, I've realized that 90% of the table problems I've encountered have come down to my players presenting their characters as Chaotic Stupid or Lawful *******, and I wonder if I should just not have alignments altogether.

On the surface, that means that any player, NPC, or monster that isn't an Outsider will be treated as Neutral for game purposes.

Benefits:
    * Players are discouraged from the false logic of "my alignment is X, so I do Y."
    * Enemies and encounters are not limited to opposing alignments (I can present Angels etc. as protagonists)

Drawbacks:

I think, for game rule purposes, Clerics/Paladins and other classes that "radiate an aura" of a particular alignment will be treated as fully of that alignment, since really what they're radiating is the proxy power of their God or Patron. The same logic guides their choice of channeling divine energy and casting heal/harm magic.

But Undead? I'm undecided. Certainly a Skeleton or Zombie isn't necessarily Evil, heck it's barely free-willed enough to have an alignment of its own. And a righteous Paladin turned to a Vampire against his will doesn't automatically shift his entire worldview... although centuries of being a powerful immortal might slowly warp his morals.

Most importantly: WHAT AM I MISSING? What objections/problems might come of this (either in RAW terms or from the table)?
    I think the game is greatly improved by removing alignments, both at the in-game level and metagame level. Of the things you listed, I'd basically propose the following solution:

- Alignment-based effects associated with explicit divinities or with domains replace alignments with 'aligned with/opposed to the deity or concept in question' type distinctions. So a cleric of Moradin who would normally cast 'Detect Evil' instead casts what is effectively 'Detect Enemy of Moradin's Faith' - that is, it more or less asks Moradin 'do you approve of this person or not?', and it is exactly as meaningful as that. I'd weaken or de-emphasize the spells in cases where they're supported by faith in an ideal rather than supported by an actual divinity. Someone who is a cleric that deeply believes in something like 'fire is a purifying and holy force' might be able to detect a water elemental, a cleric of water, or an outsider with a fire ability that spreads corruption rather than purifies, but they wouldn't e.g. get to know how many campfires a ranger smothered during their life. Cosmologically, when a deity is involved, the caster gets to piggyback on their portfolio sense to evaluate literal past actions, motives, and decisions; whereas if its just an ideal then the information used to discern for/against is more local and energy-based in nature.

- Alignment-based effects tied to magic items use the belief structure of the item's creator, not objective cosmic alignment.

- The Great Wheel geometry of the Outer Planes is an affectation of map-makers who have to render the non-spatial relationships between the concepts underlying mortal belief onto a 2d surface. There's some truth to it (since lots of people believe in good vs evil enough to color the part of the planes that is literally defined by belief), but it's also not uniquely true. At the core, each of the Outer Planes represents some strong concept underlying mortal life experiences and philosophies, and the way things work in that plane is driven by that concept more than how good/evil/lawful/chaotic the concept happens to be. For example, the Beastlands is Chaotic-Neutral Good in the traditional cosmology, but its concepts have a lot to do with naturalism, hunter vs hunted, ecologies, etc - so in this variant those aspects are just more important than the 'good' part. Optional meta-plot that the specific Good/Evil/Law/Chaos maps are being intentionally spread around by the Yugoloths/other planar conspiracy of your choice, who want belief in the standard chart to destabilize some of the Outer Planes that don't fit those pigeonholes so well, allowing them to steal aspects off of them to create their own ideal of Evil.

- Even in the base game, Undead are elemental existences rather than alignment existences (which would more properly correspond to the various outsiders). They're associated with the Negative Energy Plane rather than the Positive Energy Plane, and so in terms of spells/abilities that specifically impact undead or arise as consequences of undeath, it has to do with that aspect rather than anything about evilness. Undead can still be berserk, inimical to life, etc - this doesn't automatically mean that a random zombie has as good of a chance of being your friend as your enemy. But if there's any evil in their creation, its in the suffering caused to the soul ripped free of the afterlife in the case of intelligent undead, the damage caused by creating ecological disasters (e.g. zones saturated in negative energy which might lead to spontaneous formation of uncontrolled undead), etc. Cultural norms about undeath would vary from place to place, deity to deity, etc, and (assuming care was taken), an 'ethical necromancer' would not be an impossibility.

- Paladins are probably the most problematic in this framework. I'd insist that Paladins be selected by specific deities as militant representatives of that deity's cause in the mortal realm (whereas clerics are more about spreading the faith and aligning beliefs of worshippers to what the deity actually wants to represent), and all of their corresponding Smite/etc stuff ties to the deity. Stuff like the Paladin's code and falling, I would de-emphasize and instead say that the deity who sponsors the paladin would hold the paladin accountable for executing their will properly - as part of that, (most) deities would give the equivalent of a free Phylactery of Faithfulness effect where, if the paladin begins to misbehave, they let them know first and give them a chance to mend their ways rather than just snatching away their power because of an accidental lie or a catch-22. Basically, the deity's interest is served in having a competent representative, so outside of deities whose personalities specifically involve torturing their own worshippers, the deity will generally work with the paladin to get the results they want. A direct removal of power would happen for either an outright betrayal by the paladin, an extended refusal to actually go along with the deity's instructions, or a situation where the deity continuing to back the paladin up would fundamentally undermine the deity's cause (because it would imply that the deity approved of the paladin's actions and influence belief).

So a Pelorite paladin letting an undead go would get a message from the boss 'hey, part of your job is to mop up the undead, don't get lazy' but no removal of power. A Pelorite paladin helping their necromancer buddy start up a zombie-for-hire service would get an ultimatum 'remove yourself from this association or else' - continuing to advance the opposing cause to Pelor would be a betrayal once Pelor has made it clear that this is inappropriate. A Pelorite paladin who uses the power of healing to torture someone would be warned against it, and would lose power on committing the act because otherwise Pelor would be saying to the world 'this is what is meant by the concept of Healing that I represent'. But it has to do with what Pelor wants to be about, not what is cosmically Good.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

One suggestion to go halfway without removing all alignments?

Remove the Lawful-Chaotic axis and leave Good-Neutral-Evil untouched, and impose (or better yet, negotiate) codes of conduct instead for those lawful classes or professions that would otherwise depend on it, i.e. paladin or monk. And in the case of those codes of conduct, render it that only a willing and wilful breach of the code results in loss of classes.

Your table problems are due to lawful idiots and chaotic stupids. That, in turn, suggests people who have seen an ironclad rule of behaviour and warp it in their own minds as something they have to follow or else character consequences result.

Ironically, chaotic stupids present the same problem as lawful idiots - the difference is that the chaotic sees himself under a rule to break stuff, which, actually, is just another ironclad rule they follow.

Remove the law/chaos axis and you're taking out rules of behaviour. You're instead just asking characters what their basic morality is. (And one might note morality is hard enough to judge just between good and evil, let alone work out what shading of lawful or chaotic it is.)

This won't remove all your problems if you play with a bunch of immature idiots who aren't prepared to see other points of view -- and I've found most lawful stupid or chaotic campaignbreakers are more of this kind than not -- but I have a hypothesis that many of the problems with the alignment system spring out of the fact that lawful/chaotic is a personality trait, a way of addressing the world, rather than a moral standpoint, and D&D's 9-point box treats moral standpoints as alignments.

And I say all of that being a guy who actually likes Lawful Neutral characters and having tried to discern what makes a Lawful Neutral a cool character.

The other reason I suggest negotiated codes of conduct for paladins or monks is because
    (a) leaving aside the exterior trappings of either being a Certified Good Guy (the paladin) or a Man With Mastery Over His Body (the monk), the idea of these classes is that you hold yourself to certain standards of conduct, willingly or otherwise. The drive is to hold one's self to a certain standard.
    (b) people are less likely to chafe against standards of behaviour if they have freely accepted them and indeed had a hand in creating them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I agree alignment was an idea that just doesn't really work, because strangely trying to fit the full breadth of sapient/sentient personality and pidgeon-hole it into nine categories just doesn't work. (In spite of me personally fitting near-perfectly into one...) AD&D's alignment was really dumb, so I can see (and even myself thought to start with) them making alignment into a bigger deal mechanically in 3.0 seemed like a good idea.

But really, it wasn't.

Myself, I have left alignment mostly alone (except only to use it as a very light touch these days), pretty much solely for the mechanical element; but I did flat remove all the alignment restrictions from all character classes with the sole except Paladin/antipaladin early on (okay, technically, I retained the thing about clerics and their deity alignments). (One of my first 3.0 parties, someone wanted to play Gabrielle off Xena as a monk, and quite reasonably didn't think LF fit; my response was an immediate "I don't see whay not," thereafter, I more or less decided that alignment restrctions on classes were basically bullcrap except in niche cases.)

I agree with Saintheart's suggestion that the broad categories of good, neutral and evil are useful; even in an alignmentless system like Rolemaster there is some "evil" stuff (specifcally evil base spell lists for some of the primary casters), but applied presciptively, not descriptively.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I agree alignment was an idea that just doesn't really work, because strangely trying to fit the full breadth of sapient/sentient personality and pidgeon-hole it into nine categories just doesn't work. (In spite of me personally fitting near-perfectly into one...)
    Well, given you're a spirit-bound lich you likely have it rather easier to select an alignment than us mortals who have all these chemicals sloshing around that change us from lawful to chaotic depending on how high our alcohol content gets.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Well, given you're a spirit-bound lich you likely have it rather easier to select an alignment than us mortals who have all these chemicals sloshing around that change us from lawful to chaotic depending on how high our alcohol content gets.
    Nah, I was LE before I became a lich...!

(Cruel - but not entirely unjustfied people might also make the comment that it's just because I'm sufficiently one-dimensional...)

But hey, even a stopped clock's right twice a day, so even alignment can fit right once, yeah?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Why not start all the PCs out as Neutral, and depending on how they play, assign them an alignment based on their actions. Any chaotic stupid player is assigned as Chaotic Neutral, along with an form of insanity using the insanity rules. Make the drawback for being insane hurt. Force the Lawful Stupid types under an authority that comes down on them like a ton of bricks when they are stupid. A good flogging in front of all the town people never hurt.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I don't think I've played with alignment in 15 years as a DM. Some people still add one to the character sheet though, especially paladins shooting for lawful good. My longtime players a few years back actually looked at a new character and told him he didn't read the houserules when he said "my character would do smash something of the king's because he's chaotic." It then went into a better roleplaying session about why his character felt shortchanged by the extra rewards they got. I think he was given land, technically elevating him to nobility, but as he grew up in the capital he saw it as a slight as he couldn't do anything with it. The other three had been given titles that came with at least some political power.

Undead don't need to be fixed just keep it that the peasants and others see them as evil, and they still can be objectively so like fiends.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Tiktakkat View Post

First, you can take the Chaotic Obnoxious or Lawful Stupid off of the character sheet but you cannot take it out of the players.
    Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    I think the game is greatly improved by removing alignments, both at the in-game level and metagame level.
    both of those are true

in that you can remove alignments mechanically, with a bit of common sense. introduce a code of conduct where it's really needed (paladins and clerics) and otherwise remove/refluff other effects referring to alignment.
    my game had alignments, but they never were a concern. i don't think they were ever used as anything more than a loose descriptor; I didn't even bother to assign a law-chaos value to some of the main villains. and nothing bad happened. the game works perfectly fine.

on the other hand, chaotic stupid and lawful dumb players will still remain. the lack of alignment will not prevent them from doing stupid stuff with their character.
    removing alignment can be done, but it won't fix your problems.

any player selfish enough to play a Chaotic Obnoxious or Lawful Stupid in the first place is selfish enough to pitch a fit when told he cannot, denouncing you to all (in the group) and sundry (other potential players in the local gaming community) as a lousy, cheating, unfair DM.
    i don't think that's a problem. any player that's so disruptive will get a bad name pretty fast, and won't be believed
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think anything would actually break if Smite Evil just worked on everything and everyone. It just means it's up to the paladin not to go around smiting people who don't deserve it.
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-01-18 at 10:15 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Benefits:

Drawbacks:
    -Let the players smite who they want. "That guy" is a fair enough target. Many of the Holy Word-type spells are tagged with "good" and "evil" already, the players don't need to be aligned, but these spells represent powers derived from good or evil beings. If you start using the powers of good to smite other good people, then the powers that be may start smiting YOU.
    -Just make Holy/Unholy provide bonus damage in the form of positive/negative energy. And again, this is potentially divine energy sourced from the powers-that-be who may actually be aligned. Removing alignment doesn't make Pelor suddenly evil, or Asmodeus suddenly good. They're still powerful beings of good/evil energies.

This works just fine, and as above. I'd add a "code" based on their deity similar to 5E's Paladin codes, and if they start violating that or smiting people their god doesn't like, they might start getting smote by said god.

Undead are typically powered by necromantic energies, which most of the time are evil in nature. They're literally powered by evil magic. Much like Angels and Demons, they're creatures born of magic that already has an alignment built into it. Reason it out however you like, "good magic" is made up of the hopes and dreams of humanity while "evil magic" is made of all their pain and suffering, or something. But they're literally made of aligned materials. You can remove alignment, but you can't get past the fact that the "good planes" are literally made of "good energy" and the "evil planes" are made of "evil energy".

As long as they're sentient creatures they're fully capable of making their own choices and even being a good person! (I throw a good-demon at my players from time to time and it thoroughly confuses them because they register as both "good" and "evil", but not neutral.) But where "neutral" folks have a little angel and demon on their shoulder each trying to get them to do good or evil respectively, creatures made from aligned materials don't have the other side. They ONLY have the little angel or the little demon encouraging them to do good/evil at any opportunity.

As someone who isn't a big fan of alignment, this is typically how I do it.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I like having alignment as a fallback when trying to hash out the motivations and reactions of a new character I'm still getting a feel for. I try not to make it a primary consideration, but I do let it color the character's perceptions and their behavior a little bit. Like, play the character first and the alignment second (if that), but the alignment is part of the character and that isn't necessarily a bad thing if you don't make it into a bad thing.

That said, like any tool, there are things you can do with alignment that are useful and things you can do with it that are way the hell less useful. If your group is doing non-useful things with it and your game will be stronger without it, by all means, chuck it out the window and don't look back. I don't think it's automatically bad, but it's absolutely not automatically good either.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    You could try using the Magic: The Gathering color wheel instead of the traditional alignment grid. I know someone homebrewed an adaptation for it somewhere around here.
    THis is an interesting Replacement. We used it once or twice as well.

Also jsut removing Law/Chaos,a s also suggesated above might helpt.

BUT: These are InGame solutions for a mostly OutGame Problem.

As others have said, that is a PLAYER Problem, not an Alignment Problem.
    Removing ALignments will merely remove the easy justification for Problem Palyers, not their ... lets call them "Asocially inspired" actions.

My suggestion hence would be to talk to your group. In depth, and as long as possbile, to determine if your playstyles are actually compatible, and then make a game following the achieved compromise.

On a sidenote: I very very rarely use Alignment outside D&D. But in it, it is such an essential part (and so obviously mentioned) that I tend not to ahve any trouble with it as long as I can talk with all other palyers before, so that we have a compatible view on it. :)
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I think you should talk to your players about the type of behaviour that you feel is disruptive in the game.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

You know what else you could do is use 4e's alignment system, which is of course objectively better than 3e's.

20. - Top - End - #20

ElfRangerGuy

I solved this very easily on my table:

Alignment is descriptive, not prescriptive.

I, the DM, tell you, the player, what your alignment is, based on how you act, not the other way around. Also, I eliminated any alignment requirements from classes, spells, feats, whatever.

Admittedly my players aren't ones that constantly use their alignment as an excuse for their characters actions, but it does happen occasionally. Well not any more. They just do what they want and I tell them the result.

All this does is allow them to act even Chaotic Outright Ridiculous or Lawful Stupider and still get away with immunity to alignment smackdowns.
    First sentence is true and I think that's the beauty of this approach - it removes one incentive from players, which might be enough, and it doesn't grant immunity to "alignment smackdowns". Although that phrase sounds like the DM equivalent of obnoxious alignments. Really you shouldn't be battling your players like this. If your party is stupid let them be stupid, if they want to turn the game into slapstick, and you don't want to - tell them, if your party is evil, let them be evil, if you don't want to let them - tell them. It's up to the players of the game(incl. DM) to decide if their play styles mesh enough for everyone to have fun.
    Last edited by martixy; 2020-01-19 at 03:27 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

I've done two things that worked in my games.

One time I just replaced the base alignment system with the one from Palladium/Rifts and did away with the law/chaos axis for spells and effects.

Another time I specifically set the alignments as magical auras imposed by powerful planar entities. They were 'light', 'dark', 'order', and 'yo mama (called chaos by some)'. The afore mentioned powerful planar entities (essentially sapient outer planes that could cause effects on the prime material) each had one or two alignment auras and any 'divine' caster or other character race/class that had an alignment aura had to be linked to one of the powers and got one of their patron's auras. Nobody had an alignment unless they had some form of 'divine' connection, and even if they did have such a connection it didn't dictate or inform their behaviours. Then I implemented the Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup Gods as the pantheon/powers, a piety system, and 5-level prestige classes. It was an older version of DCSS with a slightly more limited god list and a better bullet pointed likes/dislikes list.

Frankly I haven't used the D&D alignment system for almost 20 years now just because there's so much junk and useless or wrong preconceptions piled on it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I agree alignment was an idea that just doesn't really work, because strangely trying to fit the full breadth of sapient/sentient personality and pidgeon-hole it into nine categories just doesn't work. (In spite of me personally fitting near-perfectly into one...) AD&D's alignment was really dumb, so I can see (and even myself thought to start with) them making alignment into a bigger deal mechanically in 3.0 seemed like a good idea.
    Alignment was never supposed to fit the full breadth of personality into nine categories.
    Trying to make it do that is always going to fail.

It was only supposed to fit the limited breadth of archetypes of classic mythology and fantastic literature into nine categories, increased from an original three categories.
    Leaving it to do that will almost always succeed - provided the players and DM know and understand those archetypes.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

well removing Alignments is pretty drastic, teaching your new players what their character's alignment would do is part of the DMs job, if it completely goes against what their alignment would do don't keep silent, tell them no.

there are 2 rules of being a DM,
    Rule 1: this is the DM's world, so the DM makes the rules
    Rule 2: if you have a problem with the DM or his rulings, refer to rule 1.

if they dont like the way you DM then they can leave.

now to fix Chaotic stupid, dont put them against creatures, give them puzzles. then they have to think their way out. Lawful goods doing what they please? print out a list of local laws that the world follows in order to keep the peace and give it to them, paladins follow the law and bring people to justice, not slaughter people or hurt people needlessly. if they fail to follow those laws send people after them, people that are higher level than them.

this is YOUR WORLD, if the guardians of this world are Great wyrm gold dragons then send them after the party if they are causing issues.

if they are being dumb give them opportunities to be smart. if they are itching for a fight, give them a fight that they can take out in 1-3 rounds lol

the point is, give them consequences for breaking their alignment. give them concequences for running amok, give them consequences, this game is about being free to do whatever you want, but freedom has consequences.

if a paladin breaks his oath and goes against his rules then he loses his powers. his smite evil doesn't work, his spells wont cast, and his special abilities won't activate. his mount leaves and he is cut off from his God.
    Last edited by OGDojo; 2020-01-19 at 03:29 PM.
    Check me out on TikTok @OGDojo also check out my Youtube @ObscureGamingDojo
    All Martial Arts Begin with Imitation.
    Factotums are the weakest yet most powerful class, if built properly

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

BlackDragon

Well, the big drawback is that your not really doing anything that will effect the players behavior. Ok, you will just say they are ''neutral", and then they will just simply act however they want. In short they will act Neutral Stupid...or worse just still be Alignment Stupid.

Noy so much Benefits:
    * Players use false logic of "my alignment is Neutral, so I do X." (aka no change)
    * Any foe encounter can be opposed to the PCs (this has nothing to do with alignment)
    * Smite Foes works just fine..

Also:

*Undead fit more "anti life" then some type of Alignment Foe. Sure you could have a vampire evil crimelord, Or you can have a vampire that kills victiums and destroies life.

*Divine things work just fine if you just make them Opposed to each other. The god of justice character can smite a god of theives character and back at them.

Really, you big problem will be that you think you are changing the game...but nothing will really change.

25. - Top - End - #25

This is not an Alignment problem. This is a Player problem. If you'll remove Alignment, the Player will just use some other excuse to be a ****. Will you remove Roleplaying if the Player says "this is what my character would do"?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

I would split the difference and handle undead by alignment (not necessarily always evil btw, ex. ghosts) as well. Maybe instead of limiting alignment to outsiders, limit it to creatures that are inherently magical (ie. Outsiders, Undead, Elementals, and Fey)
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-01-20 at 04:08 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Insanity View Post
    This is not an Alignment problem. This is a Player problem. If you'll remove Alignment, the Player will just use some other excuse to be a ****. Will you remove Roleplaying if the Player says "this is what my character would do"?
    I agree especially if the players are inexperienced.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That pretty much sums up my experience as well.

It's been my experience that getting rid of alignments to curb lawful-stupid or chaotic stupid behavior mostly just ends with everyone jumping straight to what would previously have kicked them straight to Chaotic Evil the moment morality becomes a slight inconvenience.

Well, maybe "Pragmatic Evil" is a better way of putting it than Chaotic, now that they're not "good" or "neutral" acts that used to be "evil" are now just another tool to pull out and since as the evil way is often more likley to cause the least personal inconvenience it's the way that will be reached for first. Why negotiate for information when you can just torture what you want to know out of captives? Who cares that slaves will get caught in the Fireball, it'll clear the goblins out quickest? Now that "well I'm Neutral Good so I wouldn't let you do that." or even "Detecting as evil makes going to the God of Healing's temple awkward" are no longer issues just be ready for your "heroes" to do stuff that would make the grittiest 90's comic book edgelord antihero blush at the drop of a hat because now, unless there's some outside reason, like a NPC they need to keep alive reporting their atrocities to the authorities, there's often no reason not to.

Now this is just my personal experience so results may vary of course.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I've written reams about alignment in D&D for decades. As stated by others, this isn't a rules problem. It never has been and never will be. It is a PLAYER problem. Alignment is the attempted SOLUTION, not the CAUSE of the problem.

As far as players are concerned the purpose of alignment is now and always has been to be a guide for them to play better characters - characters that are consistent if not actually reasonable in their behavior (and that includes the chaotic-aligned characters). That is to say, alignment is intended to HELP the players run characters who are not just random-acting nutburgers who follow no personal code or beliefs whenever it suits them as players. Players who can't be bothered to at least TRY to keep their characters behaving reasonably and consistently (much less use alignment as justification to NOT do so) will never have reasonable and consistently-behaved characters regardless of how many behavior codes and restrictions, or added alignment penalties you have, or systems of good/bad traits and behaviors, OR if you dispose of alignment entirely. If anything, doing the latter is an open invitation to the players that says, "I give up trying to keep you guys and your PC's in line. Just go ahead and do whatever random crap you feel like at any moment." If they won't even try with alignments you can be quite assured that any replacement system trying to get them to stay in line will be just as gleefully ignored and abused, and replacing it with nothing says, "I guess utter chaos can't actually be worse than Alignment, can it?"

Players who are trying deliberately to NOT be disruptive, and who WANT to play characters whose motivations and actions MAKE SENSE don't need alignment to help them continue to not be disruptive, and didn't need alignment to somehow FORCE them to not be disruptive in the first place. SOME players actually do need some guidance for playing characters with sensible, or at least predictable behavior that isn't intended to tear the game apart. For them, alignment helps JUST AS MUCH as other methods of limiting or governing how player characters behave. And then there are players for whom none of that works. And there are DM's who want to use alignment as a painful hammer to the players heads, trying to control them and manipulate their PC's directly to do what they as DM want them to do, rather than let it be what it should: A guide and an encouragement to players to keep trying to DO BETTER at roleplaying without having to be forced to it.

If there is anything you WON'T miss by dropping alignment entirely it will only be things you never had in the first place - like cooperative and non-disruptive players and PC's. If you do have cooperative and non-disruptive players then PC's dropping alignment is unnecessary. If you don't have that, nothing will change.

Even the game designers of every edition of D&D seemingly failed to REALLY grasp just what it is that alignment is best suited for and how to explain to DM's and players how to USE it to their advantage for better gaming rather than keep banging their heads against it as if it were a brick wall intended to keep them from having any fun.

When alignment was first presented in D&D it had no explanation to accompany it whatsoever. It was just a cool idea taken from a few examples of the written fiction that Gygax drew upon as his inspiration for D&D. If you had not read those books of fiction or at least played D&D with those who HAD read those books, alignment was a complete non-sequitur. No explanation where it came from, what to use it for or especially HOW to use it. And even if you had read those books, it was likely you weren't overly keen on having a cosmology like that governing YOUR campaign setting.

In 1E there was explanation and rules for alignment, but even Gygax wasn't very clear just how to use it except as a hammer to keep the more outrageous-behaving players and their characters in line. Every edition after that never really got down in the dirt to really figure out BETTER than Gygax had just what alignment should - and shouldn't - be used for in D&D, and how to have it make the game BETTER rather than continue to confuse players still trying to make sense of it.

But the problem is still with the players, not with how badly alignment is explained and implemented. You need to have a solid conversation with your players to make it clear what kind of behavior you really want to see (and not see) from PC's, and how alignment is intended to help them avoid outrageous behavior issues - not create them.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

This is why I prefer the Palladium system alignments. They're a bullet point list of behavior guidelines for archtypical moral codes found in fiction. Exactly what D&D alignments are supposed to be but written as clear behavior guidelines in a simple format, not three paragraphs of half baked philosophical musings spread across multiple books.