New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default The Black Mirror 3.PF

Welcome to the Black Mirror. It sits just south of the namesake of Crossroads Keep, south of Neverwinter.

The sign for the Inn is an ovular blackened mirror hanging above the door. With the post above it reading 'INN'.

The walls are made of flat stones, stacked and mortared, with plain wooden levels build atop the first floor.

(My first adventure beginning at an Inn.)

For whatever reason you ended up here, here you are. There is no unusual song, no strange feeling, no memory, only the fact that this is the only Inn near enough to reach before night falls with cold brutality.

It is nearing the end of winter, and the days are at their coldest, while the nights are sometimes punctuated by the sounds of trees bursting from the force of their frozen sap.

Lodgings are 4 Silvers, the morning meals included.
    A bath costs 5 copper, (for other costs see PHB).

The Inn is never really empty as people stop for food, directions, or just to rest.
    A stables sits alongside the Inn, with it's main doors opening onto the road in front.
    Internet currently unreliable, please have patience.

[COLOR="Red"]We require additional Pylons.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Cleric(2)/Monk(3)/Ranger(2)/Sorcerer(4)
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: The Black Mirror 3.PF

Well, a sight for sore eyes!

The muscular half-orc with his heavy flail at his side might be an intimidating sight for some, but his tone is friendly and casual as he address the barkeep.

"Good evening. Lodging and supper, please, along with an ale. Say, does the black mirror mean something?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Matt

Matt walked in slightly exhausted from the long trek.He walked over to the bar and adressed the barkeep. "Any rooms for sale? Been travling all day could use a good meal and a actual bed for the night. Also Got any venison? He knew his tone was a bit stand offish but at the moment he was to tired to care. As he heard the half orc talk about a black mirrior he looked around wondering what the half orc was talking about. Mirriors reflected what could a black mirrior reflect except darkness?

4. - Top - End - #4

Ravi Paltra slows his striding gait down the road, judging the setting sun too low to continue. He turns aside to the Inn.

Inside, he stoops to enter the low room, and notices the barkeep engaged with a human and a half-orc. He sits on a bench, twirling a gold coin in his fingers.

He glances at the black mirror and does a double-take. "Hnn, now there is a curiousity!"
    Empyreal Lord of the Elysian Realm of Well-Intentioned Fail

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A halfling at the bar waves a half full tankard at the one asking questions, "Been wondering that myself since I got here. I've heard some tales, not sure any of them are true. But its been here forever, so its probably harmless at least."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    Well, a sight for sore eyes!

The muscular half-orc with his heavy flail at his side might be an intimidating sight for some, but his tone is friendly and casual as he address the barkeep.

"Good evening. Lodging and supper, please, along with an ale. Say, does the black mirror mean something?"
    The bar tender gestures towards the wall opposite the steps up, across the dining area. "Have a look. See anything missing?"

The mirror, if it is a mirror and not a painting, depicts everything in the room, save for the people, and whatever may be upon their persons. Its image appears dim, as though reflected in shadows.

Chairs move, mugs appear and disappear from sight as people pick them up or set them down, as does the diningware as the barmaids move about placing orders or taking away empties. Its a regular ninja tea party (I think one of your characters is from the east?).

Even the large fireplace in the center of the room shows the flames dancing merrily, though the light they cast is blue.
    Last edited by Ralasha; 2020-01-22 at 10:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

"I have seen palaces built by djinni on Jalmeray, and the ancient ruins of Absalom, but never have I seen such a wonder," says Ravi. He stands before the mirror, speaks in Samsaran and gestures smoothly, and turns invisible.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by TheYell View Post
    "I have seen palaces built by djinni on Jalmeray, and the ancient ruins of Absalom, but never have I seen such a wonder," says Ravi. He stands before the mirror, speaks in Samsaran and gestures smoothly, and turns invisible.
    You turn invisible in front of an unknown magical device?
    Are you sure you want to do that?

Yes, I will be asking this type of question very often, no, I'm not sorry.
    Last edited by Ralasha; 2020-01-23 at 12:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Hrm...I'm gonna say yes, find out what this thing does.

The alternative is to make somebody else invisible to test it, which would be evil, and making some object invisible, which I honestly didn't think of.

But I'm inclined to test it.

As for the reaction of the crowd, I'm a Rakshasa blooded sorcerer, if I tell them I'm harmless they have to fight to disbelieve it.

10. - Top - End - #10

To everyone else: The man in front of the mirror disappears from sight after mumbling(?) something.

To the foolhardy spellcaster: You suddenly feel cold, and find yourself staring out into the dining area, including looking directly at yourself.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frix looks expectantly at the mirror as the spellcaster vanishes, unaware of the true impact he nonchalantly states, "Welp, if you were hoping to be visible in the mirror, I don't think that worked out. I'm not sure poking at that thing is the safest idea anyways. I don't know much about magic, but what I do know says to stay away from anything of the sort associated with shadows."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

12. - Top - End - #12

The bartender sighs. "Well, there's another room available. Some idiot always has to play with it."

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

13. - Top - End - #13

Lizardfolk

Matt
    Matt looks at the strange mirror feeling uneasy it seemed like it would be a simple illusion spell to replicate the effect but something felt off. Just before he could speak the man disappeared leaving him with questions.
    The bartender sighs. "Well, there's another room available. Some idiot always has to play with it."
    "Wait, what do you mean? this thing eats people?!" Matt just looks like he was told he was in the water with a shark and he was bleeding. " What happened to him?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Though his skill with magic is limited, Motten tries to guess at what might have just happened.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Spellcraft (1d20+5)[11]
    Knowledge (arcana) (1d20+7)[18]

"Casting a spell in an unknown situation could be foolish. But if anyone's to blame, barkeep, it's you for not warning us. If this is serious, don't expect to escape the consequences of your negligence."

15. - Top - End - #15

Ravi dismisses the Invisibility spell and glances around his location. He takes a deep breath, to reassure himself that he can breathe in this place.

Spoiler: question
    Show
    can he hear the others?

16. - Top - End - #16

The man in question reappears where he was.
    The bartender points. "It isn't my job to keep you mages from breaking the universe. And telling one is like telling a child not to go into the woods. Off they go."

Spoiler: theyell
    Show
    Yes you could hear them as though still standing in the room. Also, you have returned.

Spoiler: kinem
    Show
    You believe he cast Invisibility. Which would explain his disappearance.

The bartender looks at Matt. "No, near as anyone can tell, not that anyone has tried particularly hard... It reflects the place, but not the people. Something about... Coturminuous? I think the word was... Tran... Trans? Moving places. Like the spooky plane. The Ether or whatever its called. Where the ghosts live, but different."
    He points at (kinem's character), "And as to you" he juts a thumb over his shoulder, where a board sits on the wall, it reads, 'Any magic performed in the dining area is done at your own risk. Anything valuable left out in the dining area is left at your own risk. Any tampering, staring at, or attempting to manipulate the mirror is done at your own risk.' "It isn't my fault no one ever reads the sign. If you're staying, that'll be four gold for the night, in my palm, the meal is 5 silver, and for threatening me, you can sleep in the barn."
    Last edited by Ralasha; 2020-01-24 at 04:00 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Motten tells the bartender

”Because you know that no one ever sees the poorly placed sign, it is your fault, for not pointing it out. Luckily, it seems that the mage made it back.

I didn’t threaten you. If I ever do, you will know the difference.

Why would I want to stay in this dump?

As for the food, it was spoiled. Rancid. I’m not paying for that.”

He pushes the plate away.

18. - Top - End - #18

"Please, thank you for your concern, friends," says Ravi. "I am Ravi Paltra, a professional player of various games of skill. I am sorry to cause any trouble with what I meant as a harmless test."

He turns to the bartender and speaks in a soothing Silver Tongued voice, "I'm totally at fault here. Please accept my apologies and a platinum coin as full payment for myself and my startled friend here. He was so worried he forgot manners. Please, it is the least I can do."

19. - Top - End - #19

"That's fine and all, but he still gets the stables."
    The man calmly takes the coin, and sticks in in his pocket. "Any trouble, from him, and he's out on his ear. I get being grumpy or whatever, but being downright rude, and hostile isn't something I will accept. It isn't as though Adventurers aren't a copper a dozen, I don't have any difficulties with business, and I don't have to put up with it."

The plate of food left behind vanishes, followed by the utensils. The barkeep stares at the spot a moment. "Well, at least the food won't go to waste."

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

20. - Top - End - #20

Lizardfolk

Matt
    As Ravi reappears Matt sighs in relief "Good your not dead." Matt places the gold pieces in the bartenders hand and takes a seat ready to be served some food. He looks over at Ravi "You enjoy causing unnecessary panic? Don't go disappearing on people like that thought you were dead or something "

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Motten says "Ravi, hello. I'm Motten. Any idea what just happened to the dish?"

22. - Top - End - #22

The bartender points towards the mirror. "We have a theory, that maybe some of the people that have gone through the mirror are still over there. We leave food and other things out on occassion. They always disappear the same way the reflections come and go when people pick them up and set them down, like we're the ones in the mirror." He stops and glances at it. "I think three people.have come back since this Inn was built around it... Or so the last owner told me." He stares at Ravi, "Or is it four now?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The halfling pipes up again, "Sounds like a pretty dangerous connection to just leave open like that if you ask me. Any reason this isn't in some wizard's study?"

24. - Top - End - #24

"Honestly? It can't be moved. I'm pretty sure someone has tried to close or lock it before... But hey, cleans the gene pool. So, whatever? I may not be the cleverest, but I'm not stupid or foolish enough to want to play with it."

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、